Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Arkansas high school RB: Darren McFadden or Basil Shabazz

Started by Sweet Feet, April 01, 2014, 07:34:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Mac

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2014, 01:16:46 am
Shabazz had other options out of high school.
I believe he could have gone to the University and probably sat out a year. Arkansas offered to put a $1 million insurance policy on him in case he got hurt.
He had offers from Nike to go the track route and train for the Olympics.
Or he could go with baseball.
He didn't get good guidance.
He could have been a world class track athlete.
Below is the best article I've come across on the subject of Shabazz.
http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/basil-shabazz-badly-wanted-to-be-a-razorback/

great link!  Thanks!

Reminds me of Boobie Miles (Odessa Permian: Friday Night Lights) in some ways
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

SpaCityHawg

popcornhog

Quote from: qdoc on April 01, 2014, 09:35:24 pm
Basil's best chance for football would have been UAPB. I don't think he could have been admitted to the University.

I believe he could've been admitted and taken remedial classes for a year and no scholarship.

Wasn't that the plan?
WPS

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: popcornhog on April 02, 2014, 07:10:09 am
I believe he could've been admitted and taken remedial classes for a year and no scholarship.

Wasn't that the plan?

I think it was, but from what I was always told, he had a defeatist attitude toward academics and never believed he could do what was going to be asked of him.  He was a victim of just being advanced along without mastering anything, and it just got overwhelming for him.  Again...it's sad, because had someone taken the time to insist on improving deficiencies along the way, who knows what could have resulted? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:14:21 am
I think it was, but from what I was always told, he had a defeatist attitude toward academics and never believed he could do what was going to be asked of him.  He was a victim of just being advanced along without mastering anything, and it just got overwhelming for him.  Again...it's sad, because had someone taken the time to insist on improving deficiencies along the way, who knows what could have resulted? 

combine that with being poorer than poor and being offered 150k to go to the minors.

kingofdequeen

when did madre hill become pedestrian in the eyes of arkansas fans?

oh yeah, that's right, when he blew out his knee as a sophomore.  the start of the RB curse.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 07:28:59 am
combine that with being poorer than poor and being offered 150k to go to the minors.

The part that always bugged me was the incident at UCA with the gun.  Admittedly, that was a long time ago and the details were sketchy to begin with, and I've forgotten a lot too.  But...I just thought it was a little grandiose, because he was FAR from the first person in Arkansas to have a gun in his vehicle, but to hear the local news tell the story, it was as if they were an inch away from committing some sort of bank robbery or something. 

Sadly, it was almost like they were proud to have Shabazz's name prominently back in the news, and never realized the damage it could do long term. 

I don't know how the ending would play out, but I would love to see a 30 for 30 on his story.  The chasing rabbits, swimming in the temporary pool after it rained...it's all stuff you would think people made up. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:35:34 am
The part that always bugged me was the incident at UCA with the gun.  Admittedly, that was a long time ago and the details were sketchy to begin with, and I've forgotten a lot too.  But...I just thought it was a little grandiose, because he was FAR from the first person in Arkansas to have a gun in his vehicle, but to hear the local news tell the story, it was as if they were an inch away from committing some sort of bank robbery or something. 

Sadly, it was almost like they were proud to have Shabazz's name prominently back in the news, and never realized the damage it could do long term. 

I don't know how the ending would play out, but I would love to see a 30 for 30 on his story.  The chasing rabbits, swimming in the temporary pool after it rained...it's all stuff you would think people made up. 

read the sync weekly article.  lets be adults here - that was just another decision in a long line of decisions that weren't Shabazz's fault.  Just ask Shabazz.  Cards dropped him not because of the gun - they dropped him b/c he couldn't hit .200 in AA ball.

he didn't have any help in life starting out RE raising, but there comes a point in time when you have to stop making dumbass decisions.  Torii Hunter's a good friend.

Inhogswetrust

April 02, 2014, 07:53:51 am #59 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:15:14 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 01, 2014, 07:34:24 pm
one of my fav debates. Who was the best??

And an old debate that's been covered..............let's also debate the game that never will be...........No Wait............let's NOT.

Next thread up: seating upgrades.....nevermind that's already been done.....an old time favorite uniform colors.....nevermind been done already, or logo.....nevermind been done, or rival.....never mind been done, or upgrading seating.....nevermind been done, or where to stay and eat.....nevermind been done, or the band.....THAT's it we haven't had that in a while.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 07:37:56 am
read the sync weekly article.  lets be adults here - that was just another decision in a long line of decisions that weren't Shabazz's fault.  Just ask Shabazz.  Cards dropped him not because of the gun - they dropped him b/c he couldn't hit .200 in AA ball.

he didn't have any help in life starting out RE raising, but there comes a point in time when you have to stop making dumbass decisions.  Torii Hunter's a good friend.

No, no...I know he's taken responsibility and accepts that things worked out how they did.  I'm not making excuses for him.  Had he focused on baseball from day one, he wouldn't have hit .200...too much ability. 

I just don't like to hear stories like that.  Some people self sabotage themselves without realizing it, because they don't allow themselves to view themselves as achieving at a high level and being successful. 

Wasn't it his Sr. year that he was going to shatter the record in the state Decathlon at Searcy, and he showed up so late that he missed the first two events?  How does that even happen? 

It was just a sad story from day one, because no one likes to see potential fly out the window.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2014, 07:53:51 am
And an old debate that's been covered..............let's also debate the game that never will be...........No Wait............let's NOT.

Next thread up: seating upgrades.....nevermind that's already been done.....an old time favorite uniform colors.....nevermind been done already, or logo.....nevermind been done, or rival.....never mind been done, or upgrading seating.....nevermind been done, or where to stay and eat.....nevermind been done, or the band.....THAT's it we haven't had that in a while.
or

Ya know...you're allowed to start threads about things you want to discuss if those topics are that annoying to you.   ;)

They aren't going anywhere, because there's only so much you can talk about with no live game action to review.  Get your redundancy cap on, because we're in for a summer's worth.   :P

mevskithog

I can't speak for Arkansas high schools, but the best I ever saw was in Haynesville LA in the 90s...Bobby Ray Tell. If he got the ball, it was over..He ended up at La Tech and I think couldn't keep the grades, so he didn't last..

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:58:38 am
Ya know...you're allowed to start threads about things you want to discuss if those topics are that annoying to you.   ;)

They aren't going anywhere, because there's only so much you can talk about with no live game action to review.  Get your redundancy cap on, because we're in for a summer's worth.   :P

Get your big boy panties on because I was just having fun. I've been around here long enough to know it always is a whole summers worth. Lighten up the only one I was even half way serious about was the game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2014, 08:11:51 am
Get your big boy panties on because I was just having fun. I've been around here long enough to know it always is a whole summers worth. Lighten up.

Lighten up?   ???    Hey, that's why I put the  ;)  face out there.  I know you've been around, and that's what I thought was supposed to be amusing with my post.  I thought I was making light of the situation?  After all, you're posting in the Shabazz thread too right?   :P 

jusgtohogs

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 01, 2014, 07:55:51 pm
Shabazz was a much better athlete than DMac. His problem was he picked the wrong sport to go pro in.

Shabazz didn't have a lot of options in terms of grades.  He would have never made it to the U of A.  Baseball came calling with a signing bonus and made it an easy decision for him.  And like at least a few others--as much as I like D-Mac--for Arkansas high school athletes, it Shabazz and it's not close.

hogman99

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jusgtohogs on April 02, 2014, 08:19:24 am
Shabazz didn't have a lot of options in terms of grades.  He would have never made it to the U of A.  Baseball came calling with a signing bonus and made it an easy decision for him.  And like at least a few others--as much as I like D-Mac--for Arkansas high school athletes, it Shabazz and it's not close.

At some point though, the comparison seems trivial right?  We could start a thread about who was the best Jr. High athlete of all time in Arkansas, and I'm sure we'd see more names pop up that didn't materialize. 

The bottom line is...HS is a stepping stone for the most successful athletes, and in the end DMAC far surpassed what most kids from Arkansas have in the sports world.  But...if you're going by NFL, then he's well down the list in terms of accomplishment, which goes to show that success at one level doesn't always equate to ultimate success. 

But...if someone said, "OK...you can pick three football games you want to see again live," that SC game against Texarkana would be one of them for me.  And that's saying something after all of the Hog games I've attended over the years.  That was unreal.  There wasn't a person there who didn't know who was getting the ball, and there was still nothing Texarkana could do about it. 

DeltaBoy

My vote is for the Human Highlite reel Basil Shabazz he did it all  FB, Basktetball, Baseball and Track.
He was a one man wreaking crew at the State Track Meet his Sr year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 02, 2014, 08:34:06 am
My vote is for the Human Highlite reel Basil Shabazz he did it all  FB, Basktetball, Baseball and Track.
He was a one man wreaking crew at the State Track Meet his Sr year.

And by the accounts of people from that area, baseball was WELL behind all of the other sports, which is ironic that it turned out to be the sport he pursued in the end.  Just bizarre stuff....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 08:15:57 am
Lighten up?   ???    Hey, that's why I put the  ;)  face out there.  I know you've been around, and that's what I thought was supposed to be amusing with my post.  I thought I was making light of the situation?  After all, you're posting in the Shabazz thread too right?   :P 

My bad then. Carry on.

Mike_e

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:35:34 am

I chased down a jackrabbit once in kansas.   Durned thing scratched the bejesus outta me and bit me to boot.  He must have been a slow one though.

Shabazz.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hawg66

Quote from: old hog on April 01, 2014, 09:07:50 pm
Jerry Eckwood needs to be mentioned.

This.  Eckwood was an incredible high school player.  Never left the field.  Kicked off, punted, kicked extra points.  A better passer than most HS QB's.  He was a 210 lb safety on defense with 4.3 speed.  Absolutely devastating as a RB.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike_e on April 02, 2014, 09:19:40 am
I chased down a jackrabbit once in kansas.   Durned thing scratched the bejesus outta me and bit me to boot.  He must have been a slow one though.

Shabazz.

Got that topped.  I was playing golf in Wisconsin once and a guy challenged a goose who hissed at him.  Three of them attacked him, and while I admit to laughing hysterically for few seconds, it became apparent pretty quickly that it was a serious situation.  They were actively trying to bite his eyes, and he had all sorts of bleeding bite wounds on his arms from protecting his head and face.  We had to chase them off with golf clubs, and even that took some doing!   

Let me suggest something.  Do NOT mess with Geese on the golf course.  :o

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawg66 on April 02, 2014, 09:25:09 am
This.  Eckwood was an incredible high school player.  Never left the field.  Kicked off, punted, kicked extra points.  A better passer than most HS QB's.  He was a 210 lb safety on defense with 4.3 speed.  Absolutely devastating as a RB.

My father says the same thing.  I didn't see him play.  I did run into him in the Memphis airport once as a kid when we were heading to Disney World, and he was headed to Tampa.  Super nice guy.  He's another case of "what could have been," but his hard luck story was just injuries that piled up. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogz11 on April 01, 2014, 11:04:16 pm
If we go by career stats, wouldn't it be Michael Dyer?
We're not talking about a stat book. Stats can be influenced by a number of things. We're talking eyeball stuff. Seeing a kid that makes you go, WTH was that?

Mike Irwin

Eckwood was close. Shabazz was a slasher with speed. Eckwood was a glider with speed. Eckwood reminded me of a vehicle with high dollar shocks and a tight suspension. He shifted directions effortlessly with very little body lean. It was all in his legs and feet.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 02, 2014, 10:16:14 am
We're not talking about a stat book. Stats can be influenced by a number of things. We're talking eyeball stuff. Seeing a kid that makes you go, WTH was that?

I remember seeing BS run the 200 at a track meet at JA Fair.  I'm not kidding...he could have turned and run the last 20 yards backward and still won.  It was outrageous how fast he was in that last 80 or so.  Looked like Michael Johnson in the Atlanta Olympics...   He could show up at the Long jump, and if he completed his first jump...he could just rest.  Over. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 01, 2014, 07:55:51 pm
Shabazz was a much better athlete than DMac. His problem was he picked the wrong sport to go pro in.

I'm old enough to be you guys daddy and I have seen some great high school running backs in my time. Mike Edwardes of Texarkana, Terry McFarland of West Memphis, and Jerry Eckwood of Brinkley,to name a few but I would have to say Basil Shabazz was in a class by himself. After that DMac would probably be #2.

hoglady

The best route for Shabazz would have been track and field.
Going with Nike, getting a real track coach who could have also been a mentor, training for the Olympics - there's really no telling how good he could have been. Maybe one of the best and most versatile track athletes ever.
He'd have struggled with grades at UofA most likely / baseball was probably his worst sport.
I do feel sad for him - just so much potential.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dominicanhog

IMO it's a close call between Shabazz and Eckwood, with me giving the slight nod to Eckwood... DMac would be a close third.

Peyton Hillis also deserves some recognition.. and Dennis Jonson was a great back.

Madre, Cobb, Dyer were all very good backs, just a little behind the others.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 02, 2014, 05:42:54 am

you're getting there yourself bub!  ;)
It is hard to deny.  Especially if you have had the same career since you were 19 and you just passed 19 years at it.  Oh well, you're only as young as you act.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Cotton

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 02, 2014, 11:17:32 am
IMO it's a close call between Shabazz and Eckwood, with me giving the slight nod to Eckwood... DMac would be a close third.

Peyton Hillis also deserves some recognition.. and Dennis Jonson was a great back.

Madre, Cobb, Dyer were all very good backs, just a little behind the others.
Ever heard of Deangelo Williams?
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 12:20:42 pm

Yes, yes.  DW split carries in the Diamond-T, only played the position for two years at varsity, and still put up over 2000 his senior year.  Good tailback.

Shabazz highlights, anyone?

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/cant-touch-this-video-highlights-of-the-great-basil-shabazz/

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 12:20:42 pm

right, had forgotten about him.. great back but would still put him in just behind my top 3.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 10:09:20 am
My father says the same thing.  I didn't see him play.  I did run into him in the Memphis airport once as a kid when we were heading to Disney World, and he was headed to Tampa.  Super nice guy.  He's another case of "what could have been," but his hard luck story was just injuries that piled up. 

I saw Jerry play HS football he was a beast but He never had a game like Basil did in the State title game against Arkansas High.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 02, 2014, 01:15:12 pm
I saw Jerry play HS football he was a beast but He never had a game like Basil did in the State title game against Arkansas High.

I know Basil scored like 5 TD's in the game but didn't Jerry average like 260 per game as a Sr? He must have had some big games with that average...

Cotton

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 02, 2014, 01:14:24 pm
right, had forgotten about him.. great back but would still put him in just behind my top 3.
He's easily number 2 in my book. The thread is about high school, and he was better than any of the guys listed other than Shabazz.

Off topic, I consider him the best running back to ever come from the state.

I'm curious as to why other people have him listed lower? I know it's all opinions, but I would like to hear the reasoning.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hawkhawg

Shabazz played Defense also, and returned kicks. 

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 01:45:44 pm

I'm curious as to why other people have him listed lower? I know it's all opinions, but I would like to hear the reasoning.

A big part of it is that DW unfortunately went to Tiger High.

Combine it with exposure, it being more relatively recent when compared with an Eckwood or a Shabazz, and so forth.

Chief Mac

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 02, 2014, 12:17:06 pm
It is hard to deny.  Especially if you have had the same career since you were 19 and you just passed 19 years at it.  Oh well, you're only as young as you act.

Everyday I have times of feeling old and young.  When amongst my peers, I feel young but then when an Amn walks in that wasn't even conceived when I entered the AF well......
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HogSophist

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 02, 2014, 01:55:50 pm
A big part of it is that DW unfortunately went to Tiger High.

Combine it with exposure, it being more relatively recent when compared with an Eckwood or a Shabazz, and so forth.

wasnt DW pretty well known coming out of high school? I dont follow incredibly closely but seems like it.

on shabazz, the lack of the internet and the knowledge on him everywhere is pretty amazing. It was up there, for me, with knowing about this corliss kid from russellville that was an amazing bball player in the 9th grade.

pre internet, pre cable (for me in rural ar), etc....
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 01:45:44 pm
He's easily number 2 in my book. The thread is about high school, and he was better than any of the guys listed other than Shabazz.

Off topic, I consider him the best running back to ever come from the state.

I have him rated lower than Eckwood because I saw Jerry play alot of games and saw Basil 3 or 4 times and though I never saw DW in highschool, imo the aformentioned 2 are the best I have ever seen in person and just can't imagine anybody being better. As you said, it's all opinion.

ErieHog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 01, 2014, 09:33:14 pm
Only one, actually.  Then-4A when 5A was the highest.

That said, Shabazz carried his team to a title.  McFadden's Oak Grove got thumped in the second round his senior year.

The AAA has screwed around with naming conventions a lot, but 4A football was the highest/largest classification played in the state during the Shabazz era.

Most of the confusion arises from these 4 things:

Arkansas had 7 classifications until 1977;  the 8 largest schools were 5A, all the way down to Class C.  In 1977, Class C was eliminated, and everyone except 5A got a shift upward.

In 1983,  the 8 '5A' schools merged with the 4A, to create the top level of Arkansas HS football, the 4A. A 5th class still existed, but was Class B

In 1998, Class B went away, by another class shifting.   (Creating Arkansas 5A again)

In 2006, 5A was split in half, to create 5 and 6A, and the old 5A became 7A.

No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Cotton

Quote from: Dominicanhog on April 02, 2014, 03:26:45 pm
I have him rated lower than Eckwood because I saw Jerry play alot of games and saw Basil 3 or 4 times and though I never saw DW in highschool, imo the aformentioned 2 are the best I have ever seen in person and just can't imagine anybody being better. As you said, it's all opinion.
Exactly, opinions, and that's why I like hearing others. DW was the best one I've seen personally.

Don Campbell, the legendary coach over in Wynne called into the post game show announcing the score and when asked to pick a player of the game, he chose his offensive line. For "Staying out of Deangelo Williams way all night" hahaha

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MrThunderhog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 09:05:34 pm
Cobbs / McFadden / Madre - that's a debate.

ANYONE / Basil - not a debate.

100% accurate

Shabazz was in a league of his own. Was part of the HWY 79 Bandits that saw all 4 state championships come from schools on a 40 mile stretch of HWY 79 that year.

Pine Bluff High 4a
Dollarway 3a
Fordyce 2a
Rison 1a

Fordyce tailback Andre Tolefree should be mentioned in the same class in high school as Madre and Cedric. He was an explosive back that had a combination of speed and power. Until he broke his leg at Prescott one night he would have been a Hog. Would up playing his college ball at UAPB.

The following year Dollarway dropped down to 2a and lost in the state championship game to Fordyce breaking their 53 game winning streak.

Anybody that followed that Redbug team got to see signs along the road all the way to games saying CALL  1-800-TOLEFREE
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Boston RedHogs

I would put up big money that this vote splits evenly among party lines so to speak.

Those who grew up in the Shabazz era will swear he's the best.  The younger generation will say its DMAC without any hesitation.

hoglady

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on April 02, 2014, 06:54:57 pm
I would put up big money that this vote splits evenly among party lines so to speak.

Those who grew up in the Shabazz era will swear he's the best.  The younger generation will say its DMAC without any hesitation.

But us older folks had the priviledge of seeing both of them.
And for most of us that did - this is not a close vote.
Shabazz was the best high school athlete this state has ever produced.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HogSophist

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on April 02, 2014, 06:54:57 pm

Yeah I saw em both. It's not a debate for me
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog