Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Growing the Razorback brand; the GSD...Texas AD gets it why doesn't Jeff?

Started by sauce, April 01, 2014, 05:01:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 02, 2014, 11:43:52 am
As for LR the money folks in LR and areas South , East and West need to all pony up the bucks to get WMS to 70,000 or build a Brand new one .

WHY? The Hogs are still only going to play twice a year there, even if they build a brand new 70K seat stadium. There was no point expanding DWRRS if they end goal was not to move all but maybe 1 game a year on campus.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogarusa

What team would want to go to Dubai and play the Longhorns?  Sounds like an awful idea
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Ā 

hogsanity

Quote from: lowberh on April 02, 2014, 11:50:29 am
What team
would want to go to Dubai and play the Longhorns?  Sounds like an awful idea

a team that wants to get paid a GIGANTIC ton of money.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 06:58:01 pm
  The only reason for this that I can think of is that they want to expand the TV market for The Longhorn Network. Seems like a reach though.

If they got 150 households around Mexico City that would double Longhorn Network subscriptions to date.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 02, 2014, 12:04:35 pm
If they got 150 households around Mexico City that would double Longhorn Network subscriptions to date.

It is my understanding that the entire community of West Tawakoni has subscribed.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2014, 05:05:30 pm
Is Texasss alienating it's fan base in west, north, south, or east Texas by not playing games off campus? I realize they play conference games in other parts of the state, but why aren't they playing in Texarkana, or Amarillo for those fans?

They do play OU in Dallas...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: BallHog1 on April 01, 2014, 06:12:49 pm

I'd be fine if Texas played all their games in Mexico....hell go to Argentina for a few too.

Russia/Ukraine border,  would be a nice spot for a few games.  There would be lots of security there. The Longhorn network ratings would go up, probably be the only TV in the whole area.....of course the biggest drawback, would be getting out of there after the game....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

goodguytex

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2014, 05:05:30 pm
Is Texasss alienating it's fan base in west, north, south, or east Texas by not playing games off campus? I realize they play conference games in other parts of the state, but why aren't they playing in Texarkana, or Amarillo for those fans?
Oh please don't suggest the whorns play in Texarkana... There are already more than enough of their arrogant ass fans here. Don't need the team too.

rhames

Some people just don't get the war memorial thing.

It's simple economics.

If you were running a multimillion dollar company would you still do something that the company was doing for over 50 years even if you were losing 2 million every time you did it?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 05:11:35 pm
We'll see if Texas plays games in those places. If they do I can promise they will not play in a 53,000 seat stadium and they will not lose money over playing those games away from DKR Memorial Stadium.

I like LR games and I wish the change weren't necessary. But unless some rich guy is willing to expand WMS to 75,000 and put money into a trust fund to operate and maintain WMS independent of revenues from Razorback games then it's not economically prudent to continue to play multiple games in LR.

If WMS held 75,000 and if Arkansas could collect all revenues from ticket sales, parking and concessions (like it does in Fayetteville) the situation would be different.

This is true.  But I'll say it one more time - kids down here in SE Ark are wearing LSU and Ole Miss and Alabama gear just as much as they are Razorback gear.  If that isn't an indicator of what's happening then I don't know what is.  Twenty years ago you would have NEVER seen that.

Athog

BorderPatrol

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 10:08:22 am
This is true.  But I'll say it one more time - kids down here in SE Ark are wearing LSU and Ole Miss and Alabama gear just as much as they are Razorback gear.  If that isn't an indicator of what's happening then I don't know what is.  Twenty years ago you would have NEVER seen that.

Are they doing that because of the one less game in Little Rock?

bp

Ā 

hogsanity

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 10:08:22 am

20 years ago LSU and old misses and every other team from here to timbuktu was not on tv every week either. Ark has played at least 2 games in wms every year until this upcoming season, so playing in LR has not done anything the quell the uprising of the kids you mention wearing other teams gear.

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2014, 11:55:20 am
20 years ago LSU and old misses and every other team from here to timbuktu was not on tv every week either. Ark has played at least 2 games in wms every year until this upcoming season, so playing in LR has not done anything the quell the uprising of the kids you mention wearing other teams gear.

You kind of made my point for me.  What games have been in LR?  The Mississippi schools, LSU, and cupcakes.  Arkansas is no longer the overwhelming home team with young people around here anymore....we're seen as an inferior program, especially when it comes to LSU (which, truthfully, I guess we are).  And take it for whatever it's worth or say 'we don't need them', but 99% of folks from down here are not gonna drive to Fayetteville to see a game - they never have.  NWA may as well be Missouri or Kansas, LR is Arkansas.  Not trying to win an argument here, just trying to get folks to quit oversimplifying things and realize what's been happening over the past 5-10 years.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

AUSTXHOG

Playing college football overseas makes about as much sense as India vs Pakistan playing cricket @ WMS.  The Texas AD using this as an excuse as to not play TAMU is disingenuous.  UT is maxed out on brand recognition...hell, they have a tv network that's losing money.  http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/6/25/4462912/longhorn-network-time-warner-directv-kansas-jayhawks-network

Winning grows the brand.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

thirrdegreetusker

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 01:37:55 pm
You kind of made my point for me.  What games have been in LR?  The Mississippi schools, LSU, and cupcakes.  Arkansas is no longer the overwhelming home team with young people around here anymore....we're seen as an inferior program, especially when it comes to LSU (which, truthfully, I guess we are).  And take it for whatever it's worth or say 'we don't need them', but 99% of folks from down here are not gonna drive to Fayetteville to see a game - they never have.  NWA may as well be Missouri or Kansas, LR is Arkansas.  Not trying to win an argument here, just trying to get folks to quit oversimplifying things and realize what's been happening over the past 5-10 years.

Everytime someone says that I laugh. I have relatives down there that drive to Fayetteville for games. The people to our left and right in our seats section are from Helena and Dallas respectively. I drive from a suburb of Memphis even game. All of us drive about the same driving time to get to the Fayetteville games. When I go to reunions in south Arkansas there are Hog shirts and hats everywhere. There are a LOT of college team campuses NOT located right in the middle of their state and people have to drive a long way to see them play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 03, 2014, 02:22:50 pm
Everytime someone says that I laugh. I have relatives down there that drive to Fayetteville for games. The people to our left and right in our seats section are from Helena and Dallas respectively. I drive from a suburb of Memphis even game. All of us drive about the same driving time to get to the Fayetteville games. When I go to reunions in south Arkansas there are Hog shirts and hats everywhere.

Sooo...........that would make it 98%?

I'm talking about regular everyday fans, not us.

LZH

Ā 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 02:28:16 pm

If so then why say "not going to drive to Fayetteville games, they never have" IF you are talking about regular fans like they wouldn't go to a game anywhere. Saying they never have is wrong. People from down there go to games. Heck a large % of the state's population don't generally go to games no matter where they are played and where they live.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

sauce

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 03, 2014, 11:30:07 am
Twenty years ago they couldn't order that stuff online either. Twenty years ago, there wasn't a Lidz in every mall selling caps from every major team - college and pro.

The world has gotten smaller thanks to technology. Arkansas does not need to play in LR to keep those kids' interest, it needs to win at a high level wherever the games are played.

Yep. Everyone loves a winner. Kids can't explain some times why they root for a certain team or wear a teams stuff. Sometimes they simple think the mascot or logo is cool.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on April 03, 2014, 01:52:28 pm
Playing college football overseas makes about as much sense as India vs Pakistan playing cricket @ WMS.  The Texas AD using this as an excuse as to not play TAMU is disingenuous.  UT is maxed out on brand recognition...hell, they have a tv network that's losing money.  http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/6/25/4462912/longhorn-network-time-warner-directv-kansas-jayhawks-network

Winning grows the brand.

There is a LOT of fail in that linked article.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

hobhog

No idea how this relates to GSD, but I'd be pissed if I were a UT fan. Thank gawd I'm not.

hobhog

Quote from: rhames on April 03, 2014, 06:42:16 am
Some people just don't get the war memorial thing.

It's simple economics.

If you were running a multimillion dollar company would you still do something that the company was doing for over 50 years even if you were losing 2 million every time you did it?

Maybe if there was something else to be gained- It's called a "loss leader". Some people either can't understand it or refuse to do so. When it quits making sense, they will end it.

rhames

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: hobhog on April 03, 2014, 03:27:22 pm

But there isn't loss leader

There is nothing to be gained

The "loss leader" is fans not taking emotion out of the argument. It doesn't make sense to play games in little rock. They will stop doing it when the contract is expired. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bought out.

hogsanity

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 01:37:55 pm
You kind of made my point for me.  What games have been in LR?  The Mississippi schools, LSU, and cupcakes. 

and you made a point for me that I have been making for years.  While the WMS crowd yells that " we just love the Hogs"  what they really are saying is " we love the hogs AS LONG AS we get high profile games, even though it cost the school 2-4 mil in revenue to play here, and is 2 weekends when they don't get to showcase the campus".

hogsanity

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 03, 2014, 02:28:16 pm

Lots of " regular everyday fans " that live within 50 miles of either stadium never go to games.  Matter of fact, most "regular everyday fans" rarely attend games, period.

Hogwop

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2014, 04:05:06 pm
and you made a point for me that I have been making for years.  While the WMS crowd yells that " we just love the Hogs"  what they really are saying is " we love the hogs AS LONG AS we get high profile games, even though it cost the school 2-4 mil in revenue to play here, and is 2 weekends when they don't get to showcase the campus".

As long as it's convenient for them, that's all that matters. Who cares if the university loses money? Who cares if we can't host recruits? Who cares if the players don't like having a "home" game 3 hours away from campus? Me not having to drive  2 1/2-5  hours is far more important.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

hobhog

Quote from: rhames on April 03, 2014, 03:39:20 pm

But there isn't loss leader

There is nothing to be gained

The "loss leader" is fans not taking emotion out of the argument. It doesn't make sense to play games in little rock. They will stop doing it when the contract is expired. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bought out.

Not what "loss leader"means, but whatever.

It won't get bought out, but WMS games may end with contract completion. And many fans, with lots of money, will disagree with "nothing to be gained" comment. If they DO continue playing a game in WMS, it will be because there is something to be gained, and not due to "emotions". We shall see.......

LZH

rhames

Quote from: hobhog on April 03, 2014, 04:51:56 pm
Not what "loss leader"means, but whatever.

It won't get bought out, but WMS games may end with contract completion. And many fans, with lots of money, will disagree with "nothing to be gained" comment. If they DO continue playing a game in WMS, it will be because there is something to be gained, and not due to "emotions". We shall see.......

What's to be gained.

Can't host recruits

No exposure of your campus.

Doesn't sell out

Looks like crap on TV

The university losses money.

You didn't comprehend what I said about loss leader

You think that it's worth the loss to have games at WMS because that income is made up somewhere else, which hasn't been proven,  I say you think think because you want games at WMS.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: BallHog1 on April 01, 2014, 06:12:49 pm
I'd be fine if Texas played all their games in Mexico....hell go to Argentina for a few too.

They'd be seen by more people there than the are on games carried by the Longhorn Network.

;)

LZH

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2014, 04:05:06 pm

Don't forget "and it is more convenient for us to go to games and not have to drive so far".

Hogwop

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 03, 2014, 06:22:28 pm
Don't forget "and it is more convenient for us to go to games and not have to drive so far".
"By God, if they don't keep playing games in LR I'll pull my support and go root for Ole Piss!"
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwop on April 03, 2014, 06:33:43 pm
"By God, if they don't keep playing games in LR I'll pull my support and go root for Ole Piss!"

Which is farther from LR, oxford or Fayetteville?

wupigsuey

Ladies and germs, the fact of the matter is that it doesn't make a rats furry behind where the games are played because TV money is where the dollars come from now days. We could fill Jerryworld but at an avg of even $75 a ticket, tv wins.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Hogwop

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2014, 08:48:16 pm
Which is farther from LR, oxford or Fayetteville?
No clue, I'm being facetious. I live in NWA and think all games should be played in Fayetteville. Some people on here act like  if there's no games in LR they'll pull their "fandom" even if it doesnt make any sense.
Pigga what?!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogwop on April 03, 2014, 09:40:35 pm
No clue, I'm being facetious. I live in NWA and think all games should be played in Fayetteville. Some people on here act like  if there's no games in LR they'll pull their "fandom" even if it doesnt make any sense.

I was just furthering your point because I have heard that argument too. I knew you were not saying you would do that.

Hogwop

So I hear Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden are touring together but they aren't playing in LR so I'm gonna have to quit listening to their music. Foo Fighters and Motorhead WILL be there tho, so they're my new favorite band(s)! Sure, they're not quite as good as NIN/Soundgarden, BUT their show is nice and convenient. 
Pigga what?!