Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Growing the Razorback brand; the GSD...Texas AD gets it why doesn't Jeff?

Started by sauce, April 01, 2014, 05:01:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sauce

I've always thought the big picture of games in Little Rock and Dallas were more important to growing/maintaining the Razorback brand than filling the suites in Fayetteville. 
Don't shoot the mesanger for bringing up the GSD and just don't post in this forum if you are tired of the conversation. Yes I go to games at both places and understand the $$ is what drives the bus.  I just wonder if long term the UofA will alienate a portion of its fan base in S. ARK.

For the same reason the NFL plays games in Europe, Texas is now looking at playing in Mexico City and Dubai.   

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said Tuesday that he's not looking to schedule a nonconference football match up against Texas A&M, at least not in the short term, because he's more concerned about expanding the Longhorns' brand with more opportunities for games outside the United States.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10710069/texas-longhorns-ad-steve-patterson-not-interested-rivalry-texas-aggies

PS.  I know the short horns are just dodging A&M as well.

ricepig

Is Texasss alienating it's fan base in west, north, south, or east Texas by not playing games off campus? I realize they play conference games in other parts of the state, but why aren't they playing in Texarkana, or Amarillo for those fans?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sauce on April 01, 2014, 05:01:38 pm
I've always thought the big picture of games in Little Rock and Dallas were more important to growing/maintaining the Razorback brand than filling the suites in Fayetteville. 
Don't shoot the mesanger for bringing up the GSD and just don't post in this forum if you are tired of the conversation. Yes I go to games at both places and understand the $$ is what drives the bus.  I just wonder if long term the UofA will alienate a portion of its fan base in S. ARK.

For the same reason the NFL plays games in Europe, Texas is now looking at playing in Mexico City and Dubai.   

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said Tuesday that he's not looking to schedule a nonconference football match up against Texas A&M, at least not in the short term, because he's more concerned about expanding the Longhorns' brand with more opportunities for games outside the United States.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10710069/texas-longhorns-ad-steve-patterson-not-interested-rivalry-texas-aggies

Yeah, and the main thing is that they are getting paid big bucks to play those games in those venues while their expenses for travel to those locations are being covered. It is due to increased revenues, period. It has zero to do with "expanding the brand". So your comparison to playing in Little Rock is a weak comparison, at best, especially when we lose revenues by doing so.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorWild

I grew up in Magnolia and use to love the Little Rock game, but it's time to fill the seats in Fayetteville.  It has to do with $$, recruiting, and a crap stadium.  If their were a quality stadium in the Rock, I might be for it, but that's a pipe dream. Also, I think NFL games in Euro are stupid, and Texas in Mexico is equally retarded.  -1 for bringing this crap up by the way.

Mike Irwin

We'll see if Texas plays games in those places. If they do I can promise they will not play in a 53,000 seat stadium and they will not lose money over playing those games away from DKR Memorial Stadium.

I like LR games and I wish the change weren't necessary. But unless some rich guy is willing to expand WMS to 75,000 and put money into a trust fund to operate and maintain WMS independent of revenues from Razorback games then it's not economically prudent to continue to play multiple games in LR.

If WMS held 75,000 and if Arkansas could collect all revenues from ticket sales, parking and concessions (like it does in Fayetteville) the situation would be different.

Inhogswetrust

Unbelievable. Telling us to NOT post in a thread. I'll post any damn where the Admins will let me post. How about we post in it because we think it is a stupid thread. What makes you think a big portion of the fan base is alienated. We already DO play in Dallas and LR. So maybe since you think tejas is so smart maybe we should drop all our games in LR and Dallas and also play in Mexico city and Dubai.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 05:11:35 pm
We'll see if Texas plays games in those places. If they do I can promise they will not play in a 53,000 seat stadium and they will not lose money over playing those games away from DKR Memorial Stadium.

I like LR games and I wish the change weren't necessary. But unless some rich guy is willing to expand WMS to 75,000 and put money into a trust fund to operate and maintain WMS independent of revenues from Razorback games then it's not economically prudent to continue to play multiple games in LR.

If WMS held 75,000 and if Arkansas could collect all revenues from ticket sales, parking and concessions (like it does in Fayetteville) the situation would be different.

I'm from Camden and live in Memphis. I drive close by and past WMS every time I go to Fayetteville. IF that is what it takes for me to continue to go to games and it is best overall for the Hogs I'll do it every time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 01, 2014, 05:12:39 pm
How does Texas playing games overseas support the notion Arkansas should play in Little Rock?

I didn't get that line of reasoning either.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2014, 05:27:23 pm
Unbelievable. Telling us to NOT post in a thread. I'll post any damn where the Admins will let me post. How about we post in it because we think it is a stupid thread. What makes you think a big portion of the fan base is alienated. We already DO play in Dallas and LR. So maybe since you think tejas is so smart maybe we should drop all our games in LR and Dallas and also play in Mexico city and Dubai.

Cool your jets there amigo. He said not to post if you are tired of hearing this, it gave everyone an option.

I don't agree with him either, but no need to over-react in your response.
Go Hogs Go!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 05:11:35 pm

Second truth bomb of the day!
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Calling All Hogs

The Texas AD saying he is looking to expand the Texas "brand" by playing games in other countries has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard an AD say. Texas is a State University, not a multinational corporation. College football has a limited number of games. You don't take some of them away from your fan base to feed a grand delusion of worldwide manifest destiny. The NFL, on the other hand, is a business that can potentially expand overseas if a market is developed. I don't think you will ever see the University of Texas at Paris, France.

Theolesnort

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 01, 2014, 05:58:44 pm
The Texas AD saying he is looking to expand the Texas "brand" by playing games in other countries has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard an AD say. Texas is a State University, not a multinational corporation. College football has a limited number of games. You don't take some of them away from your fan base to feed a grand delusion of worldwide manifest destiny. The NFL, on the other hand, is a business that can potentially expand overseas if a market is developed. I don't think you will ever see the University of Texas at Paris, France.
Texas AD's have and have always had delusions of grandeur. They don't live in the real world.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

BallHog1

I'd be fine if Texas played all their games in Mexico....hell go to Argentina for a few too.

Mike Irwin

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 01, 2014, 06:07:54 pm
Texas AD's have and have always had delusions of grandeur. They don't live in the real world.
The only reason for this that I can think of is that they want to expand the TV market for The Longhorn Network. Seems like a reach though.

sauce

Pretty good points until inhogswetrust joined in, you are the irrational 5% that I would rather avoid.

If you read the article you will notice its more about expanding the brand and fan base than the size of the stadium.  You are all correct in that WM is 55k seats and Mexico is 100k.  Again big picture is  not about tix sales but playing off campus to reach out to different parts of the state, country, and the world.  ND played in Ireland last year, same concept.  Those teams expand their footprint while Arkansas contracts its.

Boardon Hamsay

According to rumors, Arkansas is taking the Razorback brand global and as part of the master plan, the university expects to release the new global hog logo shortly.  Reports that we will play Auburn in Doha in August of 2017 have gone unconfirmed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Choctaw Hog

That correlation only makes sense to the senseless.  Apparently you have no concept about "expanding a brand". 

sauce

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 01, 2014, 06:58:01 pm
  The only reason for this that I can think of is that they want to expand the TV market for The Longhorn Network. Seems like a reach though.

Agreed.  TV dollars are driving the games overseas.  UT doesn't worry about expanding its recruiting base but I do believe that is a consideration for Arkansas.

Smokehouse

Many university's are actually maintaining presences in foreign countries; they rotate faculty serving summer or semester terms there and let students study abroad while taking classes in English. OU maintains a program in Arezzo, Italy (I teach at OU now and they're always giving the students pitch for it.)

Who knows; send a bunch of UT students to Mexico City (where they'll likely be housed in local homes), play a game there very couple of years... might be able to sell some games pay-per-view in Mexico City. If you still turn a profit on the game and you're a school like UT that has national recruiting power already, why not give it a shot?

What this has nothing to do with is the GSD. The Razorback brand is already in Little Rock and it's going to stay there regardless of what happens with WMS.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Hooch

To be fair playing in Mexico City vs. Austin isn't that different. 

Calling All Hogs

Spreading their cheesy Longhorn Network to Mexico would be even more payback for the Alamo. :)

sauce

Smokehouse,
I agree with your points other than the last one.  UofA will continue to loose its strong hold in LR and South Ar without a presence in LR.  I know NWA can fill a stadium w/o LR much like Austin can w/o Mex. TV dollars are important to TX just like recruits and donations should be important to Ar.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: sauce on April 01, 2014, 08:24:36 pmI know NWA can fill a stadium w/o LR

Yes, I realized your context, but there are many who believe that statement.

Cubbie08

Quote from: Smokehouse on April 01, 2014, 07:38:36 pm
Many university's are actually maintaining presences in foreign countries; they rotate faculty serving summer or semester terms there and let students study abroad while taking classes in English. OU maintains a program in Arezzo, Italy (I teach at OU now and they're always giving the students pitch for it.)

Who knows; send a bunch of UT students to Mexico City (where they'll likely be housed in local homes), play a game there very couple of years... might be able to sell some games pay-per-view in Mexico City. If you still turn a profit on the game and you're a school like UT that has national recruiting power already, why not give it a shot?

What this has nothing to do with is the GSD. The Razorback brand is already in Little Rock and it's going to stay there regardless of what happens with WMS.

The UofA also has a strong study abroad program. Most major university do.

choppedporkextrasauce

I'm sure the average Dubian craves Texas longhorn football.

redeye

I not only believe that it will alienate some fans, but also think we're already seeing that happen.  However, the bigger question is whether it's worth it?  I said 'no' for years, but nowadays I think it probably will be.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: sauce on April 01, 2014, 07:01:57 pm
Pretty good points until inhogswetrust joined in, you are the irrational 5% that I would rather avoid.

If you read the article you will notice its more about expanding the brand and fan base than the size of the stadium.  You are all correct in that WM is 55k seats and Mexico is 100k.  Again big picture is  not about tix sales but playing off campus to reach out to different parts of the state, country, and the world.  ND played in Ireland last year, same concept.  Those teams expand their footprint while Arkansas contracts its.

Just who is Arkansas losing ground to in the southern part of the state by moving games from LR to Fayetteville? The Muleriders?, The Bowlwevils???
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

PorkerOinker

Quote from: sauce on April 01, 2014, 08:24:36 pm
Smokehouse,
I agree with your points other than the last one.  UofA will continue to loose its strong hold in LR and South Ar without a presence in LR.  I know NWA can fill a stadium w/o LR much like Austin can w/o Mex. TV dollars are important to TX just like recruits and donations should be important to Ar.

Arkansas is not going to lose its foothold in LR or Southern Arkansas, who would they lose it too?
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

jgphillips3

Quote from: PorkerOinker on April 01, 2014, 11:35:52 pm
Arkansas is not going to lose its foothold in LR or Southern Arkansas, who would they lose it too?

Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU...just off the top of my head.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 02, 2014, 01:34:34 am

Doubtful. People from Little Rock are from Arkansas so they will naturally pull for Arkansas

Fatbackhawgballz

I don't know that U of A can afford to completely alienate south Arkansas. I mean I think that it would hurt them in the long run. Arkansas State is continuing to get better and more respectable all the time. I will always be a Hog Fan but I live in Newport and know a lot of people that have been long time Hog Fans that are already starting to lean that way because of the loss of a game in the Rock and too ticket prices. If we just totally quit Little Rock it could hurt us with recruits and Fans from central to southern Arkansas. Especially when you can drive to Jonesboro and take a family of 4 to a game for $100.00 total and you can't get two Hog tickets for that.

Choctaw Hog

Are those teams going to start playing games in LR?  I can see the appeal now, Bama vs. VA Tech in the Rock!  That should fill up the dump, aka War Memorial Stadium.

Cotton

Go to Texas and count how many Hispanics are wearing Longhorns stuff. The game in Mexico for them would be profitable. Mexico City has Estadio Azteca which holds around 100,000 people. Not saying they would fill it up, but one game down there would be a neat idea for everyone involved.

I have no comment on Dubai.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RAZORBACKER60

Well I for one thinks taking any games and taking good games out of little rock is bad for the program.

I will say this to, I know the best AD we ever had played there for fifty years and build and expanded "The Razorback Brand" by doing it!

As for losing fans and most important (recruits) I know that in the last few years Bama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, an UT has come into our state and left with some of our best players!

As for the argument that WM does not have enough seating, do you recall Stephens offering to expand WM to 68,500 seats, and I bet two things here. One, that's the average attendance in NW Arkansas for games. And two Little Rock would sell ticket every game if they did not always play the sisters of the poor in Little Rock.

BorderPatrol

Is this some sort of failed attempt at an April Fools joke?

This is a head scratcher, just like the OP. While I can understand comparing LR to a foreign nation, the two situations are completely different.

The better comparison would be the Alabama AD announcing the continuance of home games being played at Legion Field in Birmingham. Oh, wait, nevermind.

bp

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2014, 05:31:04 pm
Cool your jets there amigo. He said not to post if you are tired of hearing this, it gave everyone an option.

I don't agree with him either, but no need to over-react in your response.

We usually agree MHF but not this time BUT I yield to your title of Moderator as I should. But if I may say so I don't like anyone but a Mod or Admin thinking they should be able to tell others what they should or should not do here. Maybe I overreacted a little. If so my bad and apologies.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 01, 2014, 05:35:47 pm
Texas playing games far removed from Longhorns fans proves Arkansas should play games in Little Rock!

Makes perfect sense.

Maybe TAMU can talk the horns into playing them in LR.

Cotton

Little Rock can't even convince a Bowl Game to come.

I think even ASU is turning down Waste Management Stadium.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Inhogswetrust

Maybe Paris Texas will get a branch campus......................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sauce on April 01, 2014, 07:26:34 pm
Agreed.  TV dollars are driving the games overseas.  UT doesn't worry about expanding its recruiting base but I do believe that is a consideration for Arkansas.

I bet there are a lot of good kickers in Mexico considering soccer is the big sport there so lets' play two games a year down there for recruiting purposes...........................

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BallHog1 on April 01, 2014, 06:12:49 pm
I'd be fine if Texas played all their games in Mexico....hell go to Argentina for a few too.

Northen Siberia wouldn't be far enough away from them for me.

hogsanity

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 01, 2014, 06:07:54 pm

No, they live on a giant pile of money, and would you care to guess which sport is responsible, either through direct revenue, or donations from boosters, for that giant pile of cash?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2014, 09:26:37 am
No, they live on a giant pile of money, and would you care to guess which sport is responsible, either through direct revenue, or donations from boosters, for that giant pile of cash?

Women's Basketball?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on April 02, 2014, 07:07:49 am
Well I for one thinks taking any games and taking good games out of little rock is bad for the program.

I will say this to, I know the best AD we ever had played there for fifty years and build and expanded "The Razorback Brand" by doing it!

As for losing fans and most important (recruits) I know that in the last few years Bama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, an UT has come into our state and left with some of our best players!

As for the argument that WM does not have enough seating, do you recall Stephens offering to expand WM to 68,500 seats, and I bet two things here. One, that's the average attendance in NW Arkansas for games. And two Little Rock would sell ticket every game if they did not always play the sisters of the poor in Little Rock.

All I know is if LR doesn't sell out for the UGA game then bye bye LR.

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RazorbackBurger numba foe

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 01, 2014, 05:27:23 pm
I'll post any damn where the Admins will let me post. How about we post in it because we think it is a stupid thread.

DeltaBoy

Texas Shorthorns got more money that I could spend in a lifetime.  While I agree we got the big boys in the SEC poaching some of our suppose to be best talent. Winning will fix it. As for LR the money folks in LR and areas South , East and West need to all pony up the bucks to get WMS to 70,000 or build a Brand new one . It is past time for Central Ark to fish or cut bait.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.