Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC RPI's

Started by yraciv, April 01, 2014, 03:34:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

April 16, 2014, 09:43:11 pm #50 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:54:49 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: lchog on April 16, 2014, 09:30:15 pm

ALL OF THOSE QUALIFIERS ARE USED FOR ONE PURPOSE AND ONE PURPOSE ONLY------- TO JUSTIFY WHAT THEY DO!!!!!

NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!! ;)

Seriously, I think most of us have suspected that many times over the years and it certainly looks to be that way "sometimes".

WE JUST NEED TO GIVE THEM AS MANY REASONS AS POSSIBLE TO JUSTIFY PICKING US (in case they do want us) and make it as difficult as possible to justify picking someone else (in case they don't want us).

Here's a question: What do we have to do to make them want us?

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

And we dropped to #72 tonight without playing a game.

Kevin

Quote from: lchog on April 16, 2014, 09:30:15 pm
I am amazed every year in March and May! People hash and rehash RPI, SOS, OOC schedule and conference like it really matters. I would think that after years of watching committees fill the basketball tournament and a couple of months later the baseball tournament with teams in that they want in and teams out they they want out that more of you would understand.

ALL OF THOSE QUALIFIERS ARE USED FOR ONE PURPOSE AND ONE PURPOSE ONLY------- TO JUSTIFY WHAT THEY DO!!!!!

Every single year we see teams left out or terribly miss-seeded and someone from the committee pops up one of those stats to justify their decision. And, when questioned about an inferior team they will pull out a totally different stat to justify that.

IF the committee wants us in we will be in, if they want us to be a 2 or a 4 seed we will be a 2 or a 4. Anyone that believes that us playing Grambling and Mississippi Valley State is a better representation of our team than us playing (and taking the series) Alabama and South Carolina is simply pretty stupid!

Think about this for just about 1 minute--- some sources are projecting 11 teams from the SEC making the tournament. That is approaching 20% of the field!!! I would think that how a team fares against that competition throughout the season gives a much better representation of the team than who they played in some mid-week OOC games!

Should teams really be judged by games where they play the kids that don't get to play on the weekends? When they pitch the guys that rarely or at best seldom get to pitch in a weekend series?

Just shows you how naive I am, I thought that the tournament was to have the best 64 teams play to find the BEST team.

this guy is right. the committee will always have a reason for what they do.
rpi got this team in, but didn't this team
sos got this team in, but didn't this team.

last year was about playing & winning on the road, was suppose to be a big deal.
yet, miss state only played three ooc games outside the state. lsu never left there home field.

it comes down to this WIN!!. it does not matter who you play or where you play. WIN!!!

this years problem will be the same problem as last year. you cannot lose 2 out of 3 vs south alabama, and cannot go 1-3 on cali road trip

we won 19 sec games last year, and did not host. that told me all i need to know.

WIN!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on April 16, 2014, 12:03:15 pm
Then you are worrying over nothing right now. We are playing pretty good ball, and if we do what we think we will do down the stretch then it will all take care of itself. If we don't make the NCAAT it will be because we finished below .500 in conference play and struggled down the stretch, not because of our RPI.

You are acting like we are short on chances to make a statement. We have 2 top 15 teams, and 3 teams we are competing against for an at-large bid left. At this point, nobody should be worried.

I'm not "worried" at this point. The thread is titled "SEC RPIs" which is why we are discussing RPI. I think we can all agree that a 72 RPI right now isn't good. Project all you want, but it is what it is.

How do you know RPI wont be a factor if we don't make it? Lets say we don't play particularly well down the stretch and there are a few teams with similar records....RPI COULD be a factor that keeps us out. It does matter for those teams on the bubble.

BTW, aren't you the same guy who told me at length that our SOS would be "right up there with everyone in the SEC"?

bighog2255

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 16, 2014, 09:43:11 pm
WE JUST NEED TO GIVE THEM AS MANY REASONS AS POSSIBLE TO JUSTIFY PICKING US (in case they do want us) and make it as difficult as possible to justify picking someone else (in case they don't want us).

Here's a question: What do we have to do to make them want us?

+1. That's the whole point of discussing RPI. Its one of many factors they look at. How much it matters nobody knows. I hope it doesn't matter for us; that we make it moot by winning

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2014, 07:19:37 am
this guy is right. the committee will always have a reason for what they do.
rpi got this team in, but didn't this team
sos got this team in, but didn't this team.

last year was about playing & winning on the road, was suppose to be a big deal.
yet, miss state only played three ooc games outside the state. lsu never left there home field.

it comes down to this WIN!!. it does not matter who you play or where you play. WIN!!!

this years problem will be the same problem as last year. you cannot lose 2 out of 3 vs south alabama, and cannot go 1-3 on cali road trip

we won 19 sec games last year, and did not host. that told me all i need to know.

WIN!!!
The committee is going to put who they want in the field regardless of everything.  The SEC does deserve to have 11-12 teams in the field this year because it is that good and that deep.  I remember in 2011 when we won the SEC West and had a very good RPI of like 15, the NCAA sent us to Arizona and didn't let a deserving team host because there were already several hosts in our region and we didn't win enough on the road or some BS like that while UCLA got to host with a RPI in the 40s and 2 SEC teams with better RPIs got left out of the field.

And I hope the NCAA committee doesn't fixate on our troubles early in the year because we have improved so much since then.  That is probably what will happen and we will get left out of the field because of it and everyone will be perplexed because of it.

Kevin

funny how are ooc loses are magnified, but south carolina can lose to a division 2 team, and it does not matter.

there are about 6 teams out there that has to fall flat on their face not to host.

we are not one of them
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2014, 12:38:38 pm
funny how are ooc loses are magnified, but south carolina can lose to a division 2 team, and it does not matter.

there are about 6 teams out there that has to fall flat on their face not to host.

we are not one of them
Let me see if I can guess those 6:

Texas
LSU
South Carolina
Florida State
Cal St Fullerton
North Carolina

Is that a good guess?

Kevin

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 17, 2014, 02:07:05 pm
Let me see if I can guess those 6:

Texas
LSU
South Carolina
Florida State
Cal St Fullerton
North Carolina

Is that a good guess?

You are right on. I did not think about Fullerton.  It does seem they want a Mississippi school

But, I am glad someone sees it like i do.

ricepig

Well, Aaron Fitt just said we are iffy on being in the field. He said we have RPI issues and the SEC is tough.

Kevin

dotnet

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2014, 04:05:04 pm
Just gotta win

Yep - I can't imagine being over 500 in the SEC and being left out of the field. 

TikiHog

we have to replace the Gramblings and MVS with ORU, Okie St and WSU

ricepig

Quote from: TikiHog on April 17, 2014, 06:50:25 pm
we have to replace the Gramblings and MVS with ORU, Okie St and WSU

We don't have to go that high, but we need to drop the SWAC teams, those with a 300 by their name.

Kevin

The schedule does not have to change. You have to win
1-2 south Alabama
1-3 in California

Make that 5-2. No problems. Rpi is a joke in baseball

Florida is number 1 and never leaves the state in ooc

TikiHog

they don't have to they play Miami, FSU and all the other Florida schools who have good or decent RPI's for midweek games

Kevin

You and I disagree with the rpi

TikiHog

Kevin

Quote from: TikiHog on April 17, 2014, 11:32:13 pm
I know :)

go look at auburn's schedule, tell me where they are 20 points higher

TikiHog

2 more top 21 wins on the road then us

Kevin

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2014, 09:43:21 am
2 more top 21 wins on the road then us

Wow two more wins. A joke

TikiHog

top 20 wins on the road are huge for your RPI

Kevin

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2014, 11:32:05 am
top 20 wins on the road are huge for your RPI

For some, for others not so much

Just win.

TikiHog

I agree...I'll do all I can to get them a win at all the home games

Kevin

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2014, 12:33:21 pm
I agree...I'll do all I can to get them a win at all the home games

I know you do

TikiHog

Warren has them at 60 now

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on April 18, 2014, 11:25:16 pm
Warren has them at 60 now
From 74 to 60 in one day, that's a big jump this late in the season for a home game.

Maybe we can be in the 40's by the end of the weekend.

This series and the Ole Miss series on the road are our best chances to improve our RPI.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

April 19, 2014, 03:02:46 am #77 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:29:07 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Out of 302 teams, Grambling is #300 and Miss Valley St is #299........and so you don't have to go look........New York Tech is #302, with a 1-31 record  :-[ :-[ and Miss Valley St is the only other team in Div 1 that has only 1 win this year.

South Alabama is #120 (Sun Belt)

The highest rated team in the SWAC is Alabama St at 187.
UA Pine Bluff, one of the better teams in the SWAC is 283.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Here are some smaller schools that could travel to Fayetteville for a mid week game. There really isn't much to choose from in the 100 to 200 range.

La Tech = 223 RPI
UALR=141
UCA=103
Evansville, In = 99
SE Missouri = 80
Missouri St = 78
W. Kentucky = 79
ORU = 61
Memphis = 60
Ark St = 46
St Joe = 81
ULM = 142
Tulsa = 0

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2014, 12:38:38 pm

we are not one of them

Div 2 doesn't count towards RPI.  It's like an exhibition game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 17, 2014, 08:31:38 am
I'm not "worried" at this point. The thread is titled "SEC RPIs" which is why we are discussing RPI. I think we can all agree that a 72 RPI right now isn't good. Project all you want, but it is what it is.

How do you know RPI wont be a factor if we don't make it? Lets say we don't play particularly well down the stretch and there are a few teams with similar records....RPI COULD be a factor that keeps us out. It does matter for those teams on the bubble.

BTW, aren't you the same guy who told me at length that our SOS would be "right up there with everyone in the SEC"?
We play Auburn, AM, and Mizzou down the stretch. Of we don't play well down the stretch we won't be making it because we are losing to other bubble teams. Pretty simple.

jry04

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 19, 2014, 07:12:04 am
It should count towards your resume, though. They played them in the regular season.

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 19, 2014, 12:14:14 am
From 74 to 60 in one day, that's a big jump this late in the season for a home game.

Maybe we can be in the 40's by the end of the weekend.

This series and the Ole Miss series on the road are our best chances to improve our RPI.
We will need a sweep to do that. That would be great. We will likely be low 50s if we split the next 2.

Kevin

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 19, 2014, 07:12:04 am

That's a problem, if you play a game then it should count

jry04

Even after the loss our RPI is up to 55, and our SOS is 53. Our SOS will crack the top 50 tomorrow, and a win will put our RPI there as well.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

April 19, 2014, 11:02:24 pm #84 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:45:51 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: jry04 on April 19, 2014, 10:17:29 pm
Even after the loss our RPI is up to 55, and our SOS is 53. Our SOS will crack the top 50 tomorrow, and a win will put our RPI there as well.
That's just crazy how that works. Before todays game was over, we were at 56.

I guess Grambling St beating UAPB today helped, lol.
And Miss Valley St "WON TWICE" today!(2nd&3rd win of the year)
And Cal beat #15 Washington.
And San Francisco beat #41 Pepperdine.
And Appalachian St beat #81 Elon.
And Eastern Illinois beat #96 SEMO.
And Nebraska won.

Who would have thought Grambling St and Miss Valley St would both win on the same day and go a combined 3-0? :)

JayBell

Quote from: jry04 on April 19, 2014, 08:20:47 amWe play Auburn, AM, and Mizzou down the stretch. Of we don't play well down the stretch we won't be making it because we are losing to other bubble teams. Pretty simple.

Arkansas should win at least 6 from the 9 games against those three, who are three of the worst teams in the SEC.  Arkansas' stats might not look great right now, but after this weekend, they will have played all of the top teams in the SEC outside other than Kentucky.  The last few weeks of the season have really opened up for Arkansas to take care of business and climb up the rankings.

Kevin

ok, tiki
explain how bryant is ahead of us in the rpi.

bighog2255

Quote from: Kevin on April 23, 2014, 08:06:11 am
ok, tiki
explain how bryant is ahead of us in the rpi.

My guess is they have played 9 home games, and 24 road games. We have played 28 home games, and 11 road games.

I'm not saying its right, but RPI weighs road wins pretty heavily.

Kevin

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 23, 2014, 08:18:48 am
My guess is they have played 9 home games, and 24 road games. We have played 28 home games, and 11 road games.

I'm not saying its right, but RPI weighs road wins pretty heavily.

your right, but the road wins are against sorry teams.

just making a point to how screwed up it is.

osumed14

What really kills me is trying to understand how a system that is used so much could put an Arkansas state team that is 24-16 with SOS of 66 that plays in the sun belt ahead of an Arkansas team at 26-16 with 46 SOS that plays in the SEC!  Just makes me lose any faith in their formula at all.

bighog2255

Quote from: osumed14 on April 23, 2014, 10:23:44 am
What really kills me is trying to understand how a system that is used so much could put an Arkansas state team that is 24-16 with SOS of 66 that plays in the sun belt ahead of an Arkansas team at 26-16 with 46 SOS that plays in the SEC!  Just makes me lose any faith in their formula at all.

Wow. That might be the best example of the flaws in the RPI formula. I don't think (at least I hope) the committee doesn't use it that heavily when evaluating teams. It's likely one of many factors they use (conference record/standings, records vs. top 50 & 100, etc.)

ucahogfan

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 23, 2014, 10:41:33 am
Wow. That might be the best example of the flaws in the RPI formula. I don't think (at least I hope) the committee doesn't use it that heavily when evaluating teams. It's likely one of many factors they use (conference record/standings, records vs. top 50 & 100, etc.)
Well, the RPI is geared now so that teams who play and win a lot of road games even against poor competition will have a pretty high RPI.  They changed the RPI formula in the last couple of years because Big 10 teams were wining that it wasn't fair they had to spend the first month of the year on the road against southern schools and their RPIs weren't rewarded for it.

Kevin

bryant getting more points to beat usc-upstate on the road, than the hogs get for beating unlv at home, is flawed.

that is not hard to figure out, before you implement the changes a couple of years ago.

yraciv

4/22 Update

1. Florida
5. South Carolina
9. Ole Miss
11. Kentucky
13. LSU
16. Vandy
17. Alabama
26. Tennessee
40. MS State
46. Georgia
51. Arkansas
57. Auburn
64. A&M
120. Missouri

dotnet

I think Arkansas is 48 now, and A&M is 53 after beating Rice last night. 

It would be nice if A&M could get into the top 50 to get one more top 50 series in the record. 

yraciv

Quote from: dotnet on April 23, 2014, 11:50:49 am
I think Arkansas is 48 now, and A&M is 53 after beating Rice last night. 

It would be nice if A&M could get into the top 50 to get one more top 50 series in the record. 

I'm using the NCAA's official, which is what will be used when selecting the field. It only updates once a week unlike Boyd's or other RPI tools out there.

jry04

There is a good chance that UT is a top 35 RPI team, but misses the NCAAT.

hogman64

we have one win over #1, 2 over #5,1 over #13, 2 over #16,
2 over #17 and 1 over # 40 and that is just conference, I assume
we have another victory or two over teams  with higher RPI's.....so
OBVIOUSLY we deserve a higher RPI, assuming RPI really matters
whatever our scheduling is doing to create an undeserved high RPI
needs to stop.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on April 23, 2014, 01:09:23 pm
we have one win over #1, 2 over #5,1 over #13, 2 over #16,
2 over #17 and 1 over # 40 and that is just conference, I assume
we have another victory or two over teams  with higher RPI's.....so
OBVIOUSLY we deserve a higher RPI, assuming RPI really matters
whatever our scheduling is doing to create an undeserved high RPI
needs to stop.
With the article by Aaron Fitt just posted, it is the 5 games against the SWAC which is a disservice because we have played the toughest schedule in the country in the nation otherwise.  We would probably be borderline hosts in RPI if we had played 5 games against 180-200 range teams instead of the SWAC teams and would have beaten them as well.

hogman64

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 23, 2014, 01:43:49 pm
With the article by Aaron Fitt just posted, it is the 5 games against the SWAC which is a disservice because we have played the toughest schedule in the country in the nation otherwise.  We would probably be borderline hosts in RPI if we had played 5 games against 180-200 range teams instead of the SWAC teams and would have beaten them as well.

I have been saying for two years  those teams should be off the schedule  , they  serve no positive purpose for our program,  financially maybe but I am talking about they serve no purpose to achieve  team goals..........but there are people on here who will argue  they make no difference whatsoever and it is just fine to schedule them, I have never bought that argument.