Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the 3-9 predictors

Started by popcornhog, April 01, 2014, 03:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2014, 03:16:41 pm
When I looked at last years schedule before the season, I said the Hogs would be underdogs in 9 of the games, and the season would swing on the Rutgers game.

This year, when I look at it, I think the Hogs will be favored in all 4 OOC games, and might be favored at home in a late season sec game, depending on how the first 7 or 8 games go.

While I do think we will win, I doubt we will be favored over Texas Tech.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogwild on April 02, 2014, 04:49:18 pm
While I do think we will win, I doubt we will be favored over Texas Tech.

Check the Thursday night before the game.
Go Hogs Go!

HawgTide

Quote from: code red on April 02, 2014, 01:45:32 pm
I totally agree with you.  I almost shot a 66 yesterday but missed 6 one footers....almost???  The SEC will be tougher than ever.  A&M defense will be lights out with the recruiting to that side of the ball the last 2 years.  Folks that are predicting 3 wins are basing it on all the factors....those that are saying 6-7...IMHO...have not truly looked at this schedule and what these teams did last year.  3 teams on our schedule were BCS teams last year including Northern Illinois.  All of the SEC teams we played made a bowl...that means extra practices.  In order for the Hogs to have a winning record Brandon has to play much better than he did last year.   If we have to play a fresh Q we will be in trouble....and right now we are one hit away from that.

I'll believe A&M will be lights out on defense when I see it.

The best D Sumlin has ever had anywhere was the one he inherited in
his first year with the Aggies.Most spread teams aren't known for their defense and Sumlin seems to be going backwards.

EXSPAHOG

I don't know if I would follow a 6-6 team to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl without seeing real promise like we saw in 2008

popcornhog

Quote from: EXSPAHOG on April 02, 2014, 05:55:59 pm
I don't know if I would follow a 6-6 team to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl without seeing real promise like we saw in 2008

Frankly, a 3 game record improvement is at least somewhat promising all alone. But yeah, we'll know much better at the end of the year what the future is likely to hold.

I'd probably go to the Liberty Bowl, depending on my schedule, etc.
WPS

Dominicanhog

Quote from: code red on April 02, 2014, 01:45:32 pm

If we have to play a fresh Q we will be in trouble....and right now we are one hit away from that.

Not sure it even takes a hit.. weren't both times he got hurt when he was diving/sliding on the ground... not sure if he can take a hit and survive and if so, will he be a run at first sign of pressure and throw it 6 rows deep.  I hope for the best but like many have said on here, I'll believe it when I see it.

Lake City Hog

Another thread that I don't quite understand. Many BB supporters are saying that we shouldn't expect much in 2014 due to the schedule and the lack of talent. And a few of his detractors are calling for anywhere from 5 to 7 wins.

Shouldn't that be turned around?

There are so many ways we could easily win 6 next season. We should meet a team or two not playing their best the day we play.  If we didn't get injured as much as last year especially at QB, if the staff will try and develop a second QB, if the D backfield plays better, if the staff calls the game like grownups instead of greenhorns, if we get a few homer calls at just the right time, etc..

Lots of possibilities and high hopes. 

popcornhog

Quote from: lchog on April 02, 2014, 08:36:39 pm
Another thread that I don't quite understand. Many BB supporters are saying that we shouldn't expect much in 2014 due to the schedule and the lack of talent. And a few of his detractors are calling for anywhere from 5 to 7 wins.

I think I would call myself a "supporter" if I have to be a supporter or non-supporter, although I find it silly that we are split into groups of supporters and non-supporters.

My bottom line is that I want him to improve the team every year until we reach a competitive plateau and can compete in the West.
WPS

urkillnmesmalls

I wonder what the "non-supporters" are saying?  I noticed that you used the word "detractor."  I guess that is in an effort to show that they still support...they just "detract" a little along the way.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: EXSPAHOG on April 02, 2014, 05:55:59 pm

so dobling the win total, and winning at least 2 SEC games won't be showing "real" promise?  Ok, what would be showing real promise?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

You don't understand the tactic of trying to lower expectations?

Come on, man.

Dropkick

Quote from: popcornhog on April 02, 2014, 09:30:28 pm
I think I would call myself a "supporter" if I have to be a supporter or non-supporter, although I find it silly that we are split into groups of supporters and non-supporters.

My bottom line is that I want him to improve the team every year until we reach a competitive plateau and can compete in the West.
Off topic, but how is your karma so skewed? You are a good dude!

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 03, 2014, 12:40:43 pm
You don't understand the tactic of trying to lower expectations?

Come on, man.

Or setting unrealistic marks to set up failure. 

Come on, man.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Mo_Better_Hogs

Are you a good team (from last year) who lost good players, like Alabama and Auburn?

Or a bad team who lost some good players, like us? So, the question is, have we gained MORE than the other teams have since last season ended? I just don't know if we have or not.

Look at 2 key areas—quarterback and defense. We'll have a new quarterback when Fall arrives, even if it's Brandon Allen (I say that because we didn't really see BA last year past the first couple games, even though he may have been on the field). Regarding the defense, is this the year we add some big-time players to the mix? Maybe it's a sophomore who's had little playing time, but comes on this year in an all-conference way. Maybe we find 2 DBs who are SEC-caliber.

I agree that we were a few plays from 5 wins. But it seems we'll have to be so much better than those "few plays" this year to top .500.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 03, 2014, 01:15:09 pm
Or setting unrealistic marks to set up failure. 

Come on, man.

Given that we're 2-14 in conference the last two years, it wouldn't have taken too lofty a prediction to "set up failure".  By the way, I'm not predicting anything.  I'll just wait to see what happens.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Not falling for it again until I see it.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Dropkick on April 03, 2014, 12:49:22 pm

Karma is a joke.  OTR's ratio is always 50/50, and he's not nearly that level headed.  I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning with 600 extra smites.  I know the 7 BP lovers couldn't do that overnight no matter how diligent they are.  I think if you make the wrong person mad...they can smite you into infinity.   ;)

I'll get smited just for mentioning smites, just like I did to you.  You're welcome.   ;D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Wildhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 03, 2014, 09:36:58 pm
Karma is a joke.  OTR's ratio is always 50/50, and he's not nearly that level headed.  I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning with 600 extra smites.  I know the 7 BP lovers couldn't do that overnight no matter how diligent they are.  I think if you make the wrong person mad...they can smite you into infinity.   ;)

I'll get smited just for mentioning smites, just like I did to you.  You're welcome.   ;D 

Etiquette is important.

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wildhog on April 03, 2014, 09:42:52 pm
Etiquette is important.

Sorry sir.  You spelled etiquette flawlessly.  -1

PygmalionEffect

I think BA could be a good QB but someone above questioned his ability to take a hit and I think that's a reasonable concern.  Will he play tentative even when healthy?

When we look at our close losses last year I see a team that didn't believe it could win or didn't believe it should win..........  so we didn't.

Outside of unpredictable injuries, this my friends is the biggest factor to determine our success next year......  can we go into next fall thinking we can win, expecting to win, or will these players still be psyched out.

Mentally tough expecting to win:  7-5 with no blowout losses, we even score on bama.

Psyched out: 4-8 with a couple of ugly losses.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

popcornhog

Quote from: Dropkick on April 03, 2014, 12:49:22 pm

Probably because I am often a smart ass.

WPS

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 03, 2014, 10:11:32 pm
I think BA could be a good QB but someone above questioned his ability to take a hit and I think that's a reasonable concern.  Will he play tentative even when healthy?

When we look at our close losses last year I see a team that didn't believe it could win or didn't believe it should win..........  so we didn't.

Outside of unpredictable injuries, this my friends is the biggest factor to determine our success next year......  can we go into next fall thinking we can win, expecting to win, or will these players still be psyched out.

Mentally tough expecting to win:  7-5 with no blowout losses, we even score on bama.

Psyched out: 4-8 with a couple of ugly losses.

It will certainly play a part.  I think that only happened in a few games, and in the last four...I think our players had some belief that they could win.  Sticking with LSU until the bitter end, and I emphasize bitter, should help them with confidence that they can compete with anyone. 

A lot of things will be discussed, and I think it comes down to three things.  Can our back seven be about 15% better?  Can our QB and WR play be about 15% better?  I may get jumped for this one, but can CBB do about 10% better with his play calling and decision making during the game? 

Those are the three keys as I see them.  I think we'll do well at the LOS on both sides, but we'll need to go from consistently ALLLLMOST good enough, to executing well enough a few more times a game, which is where I see that 15% coming in.   

HogInFlorida

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 01, 2014, 10:36:19 pm
Without good QB play along with some big playmakers on O we have little chance of improvement that will amount to more wins.

We still have no QB. The best we can do is hope a red shirt or true freshman is a phenom. Needless to say hope isnt much to hang your hat on.

No established big play wideout, and even if we did have them its hard to get much production with no QB.

No reason to think our defense is better this year than last. No secondary, no LB's. We can hope for marginal improvement based on coaching, but that only goes so far. Again we are left with hope for a strategy.

Schedule is just as brutal. I see no reason to "expect" we'll be favored in any of our SEC games.

All that being said, I do think we are better this year. I just think this team could get significantly better and it still not equate to many more wins. Its certainly fine to hope for the best as a fan but we don't need to delude ourselves into expecting to see a big turnaround. We just don't have the right pieces yet.

No, our best hope is that Brandon has improved and is healthy.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

JayBell

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on April 03, 2014, 01:51:04 pmAre you a good team (from last year) who lost good players, like Alabama and Auburn?

Or a bad team who lost some good players, like us? So, the question is, have we gained MORE than the other teams have since last season ended? I just don't know if we have or not.

Look at 2 key areas—quarterback and defense. We'll have a new quarterback when Fall arrives, even if it's Brandon Allen (I say that because we didn't really see BA last year past the first couple games, even though he may have been on the field). Regarding the defense, is this the year we add some big-time players to the mix? Maybe it's a sophomore who's had little playing time, but comes on this year in an all-conference way. Maybe we find 2 DBs who are SEC-caliber.

I agree that we were a few plays from 5 wins. But it seems we'll have to be so much better than those "few plays" this year to top .500.

You talk about two key areas being quarterback and defense and then talk about the rest of the SEC being even tougher this year.  More than half of Arkansas' SEC opponents and more than half of the teams on the full schedule lost their starting quarterbacks.

A perfect storm allowed SEC offenses to put up gaudy numbers last year.  A unique crop of talented quarterbacks, a conference of defenses strafed by the NFL Draft and then a rash of injuries throughout the league.  The defenses should be improved, but it'd be crazy to expect the offenses to be as good this season.

With Arkansas' offensive struggles, I think they'll be better prepared for low-scoring battles than trying to keep pace with last year's offenses.