Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the 3-9 predictors

Started by popcornhog, April 01, 2014, 03:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Last year was horrible. But we were only a couple of plays away from 6-6 if you look at Rutgers, MSU, and LSU. We also played A&M very tough.

We aren't going to be very good this year -- but what makes you think we can't improve enough to just turn the corner a little and win games that we barely lost last year?

It seems like six or seven wins isn't a lock, but it's quite realistic.

Il hang up and listen there Chuck.
WPS

JethroB.

I agree...WPS!! bring on football season

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: JethroB. on April 01, 2014, 03:10:49 pm
I agree...WPS!! bring on football season

Turn down your avatar..! I can't see what you're saying...  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Adam Stokes

If had been playing NCAA football and I saw that the team had gone 3-9 I would've simply reloaded the game to before I had saved, and chances are we would've been 5-7 or 6-6 in most season long simulations.  It's just a shame real life doesn't have a reset button.

Henry Hogsome

I agree with You Popcornhog.

MJ2

The rest of the SEC is steadily improving and likely at a higher rate than the Hogs are for now.    So, the games that were close last year, may not be so close this year.   AL, AU, LSU, MO, OM are all VERY good.   GA will never be a push over - our history with them is horrific.   MSU is there, and that ain't good.   A&M will be better, believe it or not.  Just a tough schedule in a tough conf.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 01, 2014, 04:47:17 pm #6 Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:01:39 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: MJ2 on April 01, 2014, 04:32:55 pm
The rest of the SEC is steadily improving and likely at a higher rate than the Hogs are for now.    So, the games that were close last year, may not be so close this year.   AL, AU, LSU, MO, OM are all VERY good.   GA will never be a push over - our history with them is horrific.   MSU is there, and that ain't good.   A&M will be better, believe it or not.  Just a tough schedule in a tough conf.

Alabama, Auburn and LSU all lost a lot of players to "early to the NFL". Great players, but they still have to be replaced.

Given Alabama's trending since the arrival of Saban, I expect them to be a 1 loss team this coming season despite replacing their QB.

Auburn may be good, but they won't be as good as last year. 3 losses.

LSU also tends to trend under Miles and they will probably return to being a 2 loss team this season. Question is, who are the two that they will lose to?

A&M returns 4 of 5 starters on the O-Line and 2 WR's, but that's it on offense. On defense they return 10 of the starting 11, but this is on a defense that had 6 upperclassmen starting last year and ranked #109 in the nation. I can't see them being improved.

We will be improved. Enough to challenge for the West? No. Good enough to get to a bowl game and occasionally scare the beejeebies out of a higher ranked opponent? Yes.
Go Hogs Go!

bigred223

popcornhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2014, 04:47:17 pm
Alabama, Auburn and LSU all lost a lot of players to "early to the NFL". Great players, but they still have to be replaced.

Given Alabama's trending since the arrival of Saban, I expect them to be a 1 loss team this coming season despite replacing their QB.

LSU also tends to trend under Miles and they will probably return to being a 2 loss team this season. Question is, who are the two that they will lose to?

A&M returns 4 of 5 starters on the O-Line and 2 WR's, but that's it on offense. On defense they return 10 of the starting 11, but this is on a defense that had 6 upperclassmen starting last year and ranked #109 in the nation. I can't see them being improved.

We will be improved. Enough to challenge for the West? No. Good enough to get to a bowl game and occasionally scare the beejeebies out of a higher ranked opponent? Yes.

Pretty much what I'm expecting.
WPS

ChemEHawg

I don't remember playing TAMU very tough last year. I agree that we bottled most everything up except the scramble drill and Mike Evans. What comes to mind is their drive of 10+ consecutive runs between the tackles for a TD. That was a statement. We played good assignment defense on that drive, but couldn't keep them off their down and distance schedule.

I think we beat A&M this year, but wouldn't say hanging within 10 points of an opponent is playing them tough. It'll be great to play them without Evans. The broadcasters will endlessly point to the loss of Johnny Halftime, but IMO Evans was a much bigger loss to their program.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

3kgthog

Games in which we're a play away aren't the type Bielema will win. He's a horrible game manager. Ask even the Badger fans that liked him.

hog911

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 03:02:46 pm
Last year was horrible. But we were only a couple of plays away from 6-6 if you look at Rutgers, MSU, and LSU. We also played A&M very tough.

We aren't going to be very good this year -- but what makes you think we can't improve enough to just turn the corner a little and win games that we barely lost last year?

I have seen stranger things happen, but it probably won't take place without an exceptional player. Which at this time we do not have.

bphi11ips

Things are getting rosey around here. You'll be up to 8 before the end of August. 

I may be at 10 by then.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Ramtough

I will stick with 5-7. That would give us 2 conference wins and I think Bielema can win at least 2 this year.

TMc

I think they'll be better.., I'm thinking they'll win 5-6 games.  Hopefully they can make it to a bowl game.  I'm hoping Allen has a breakout year.

bobcat ball

OM is decent they are far from very good. Manziel and Evans are gone and that was A&M's offense so they won't be better. Misery won't be as good either. They benefited from a sorry East Side of the SEC. Miss St is always a game we can win as is LSU for whatever reason. Auburn is another team we've done well against even when they were good and we were not. GA will be decent but is definitely beatable.

As a matter of fact Bama is really the only team that has just flat out kicked our ass over the last few years. Everyone else has been beatable.
WOO PIG

HogFanatic

I actually think our offense has the potential to be pretty tough this year.

It will all depend on how well our defense improves.

PigDaddyKane

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

TNRazorbacker

Without good QB play along with some big playmakers on O we have little chance of improvement that will amount to more wins.

We still have no QB. The best we can do is hope a red shirt or true freshman is a phenom. Needless to say hope isnt much to hang your hat on.

No established big play wideout, and even if we did have them its hard to get much production with no QB.

No reason to think our defense is better this year than last. No secondary, no LB's. We can hope for marginal improvement based on coaching, but that only goes so far. Again we are left with hope for a strategy.

Schedule is just as brutal. I see no reason to "expect" we'll be favored in any of our SEC games.

All that being said, I do think we are better this year. I just think this team could get significantly better and it still not equate to many more wins. Its certainly fine to hope for the best as a fan but we don't need to delude ourselves into expecting to see a big turnaround. We just don't have the right pieces yet.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2014, 04:47:17 pm

Gee, you're an upbeat lady!

-Bill Murray, "Groundhog Day"

jkstock04

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 03:02:46 pm

Where is the proof that we are going to be improved? Nobody knows and can guarantee that. It's just mere opinion based off blind faith. We still have question marks at almost every position on the field....RB being an exception.

I still think we will win at least 1 SEC game because of blind faith, but I wouldn't challenge someone who says otherwise. Looking at it right now, I can comfortably say our schedule is brutal. What SEC games on the schedule right now do you think we would be the favorites in according to Vegas? Odds would be against us.

It will be interesting to see how this team responds if they get embarrassed at Auburn game 1. I'll be more optimistic of our teams mind set/mental state if we make it a close game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

root_hawg

popcornhog

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 01, 2014, 10:36:19 pm
Without good QB play along with some big playmakers on O we have little chance of improvement that will amount to more wins.

We still have no QB. The best we can do is hope a red shirt or true freshman is a phenom. Needless to say hope isnt much to hang your hat on.

No established big play wideout, and even if we did have them its hard to get much production with no QB.

No reason to think our defense is better this year than last. No secondary, no LB's. We can hope for marginal improvement based on coaching, but that only goes so far. Again we are left with hope for a strategy.

Schedule is just as brutal. I see no reason to "expect" we'll be favored in any of our SEC games.

All that being said, I do think we are better this year. I just think this team could get significantly better and it still not equate to many more wins. Its certainly fine to hope for the best as a fan but we don't need to delude ourselves into expecting to see a big turnaround. We just don't have the right pieces yet.

Even without an upgrade at QB, a healthy Brandon Allen would've almost certainly been worth a win at Rutgers, no?
WPS

LJHOG

We will win more than 3 games barring significant injuries.

popcornhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 01, 2014, 10:57:47 pm
Where is the proof that we are going to be improved? Nobody knows and can guarantee that. It's just mere opinion based off blind faith. We still have question marks at almost every position on the field....RB being an exception.

I still think we will win at least 1 SEC game because of blind faith, but I wouldn't challenge someone who says otherwise. Looking at it right now, I can comfortably say our schedule is brutal. What SEC games on the schedule right now do you think we would be the favorites in according to Vegas? Odds would be against us.

It will be interesting to see how this team responds if they get embarrassed at Auburn game 1. I'll be more optimistic of our teams mind set/mental state if we make it a close game.
There won't be any proof until the season is over.

The evidence that I'm relying on is the fact that a number of our best players were underclass men last year and we were very competitive in several losses. Additionally, Brandon Allen was hurt much of the year -- in particular he missed the end of the RU game which cost us.

A healthy BA and the added experience is what gives me faith that we can add some wins. It's optimism, but it's not completely blind.
WPS

jkstock04

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 11:04:54 pm
There won't be any proof until the season is over.

The evidence that I'm relying on is the fact that a number of our best players were underclass men last year and we were very competitive in several losses. Additionally, Brandon Allen was hurt much of the year -- in particular he missed the end of the RU game which cost us.

A healthy BA and the added experience is what gives me faith that we can add some wins. It's optimism, but it's not completely blind.
It's just what you choose to believe. A lot of people are hell bent that concerning Brandon Allen what we have seen is what we are getting. I have no idea but would guess the truth to that is in the middle. I'll take the wait and see approach.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

I have faith that our defense isn't gonna look like a bunch of stiffs out there this year simply because of our new DC's philophosy. I really like everything I hear about him...a breath of fresh air compared to our last 2 coordinators. Maybe that will help us to win a couple of games.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

go hogues

The west is as tough as it's been in a long time right now and we are arguably the worst of that group.
We are miles behind Georgia and we'll see how Mizzou does. Mauk is proven though.
Our pass D has to improve dramatically to slow TT down and if we get behind, can BA be an effective enough passer to play catch up?

I think we'll be a much more sound football team and I look for us not to have any embarrassing blowout losses, save for Bama. To me, that'll be improvement in 2014, regardless of W/L's.

I still say 3-9, maybe 4-8.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

urkillnmesmalls

April 01, 2014, 11:56:02 pm #28 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:16:07 am by urkillnmesmalls
Quote from: go hogues on April 01, 2014, 11:16:16 pm
The west is as tough as it's been in a long time right now and we are arguably the worst of that group.
We are miles behind Georgia and we'll see how Mizzou does. Mauk is proven though.
Our pass D has to improve dramatically to slow TT down and if we get behind, can BA be an effective enough passer to play catch up?

I think we'll be a much more sound football team and I look for us not to have any embarrassing blowout losses, save for Bama. To me, that'll be improvement in 2014, regardless of W/L's.

I still say 3-9, maybe 4-8.

Nicholls state, Northern Illinois, UAB    If we've fallen far enough that we shouldn't expect to chalk those up as W's, then man...we're worse than I think.  It's hard to imagine Northern Illinois being much without their star QB. 

So, what you're saying is, you think we'll win those three and go winless the rest of the season?  I'm not sure I can take that! 

I don't think Ole Miss, Miss State, or Texas Tech are going to be games we can't win.  Texas Tech will test our secondary, and we'll get to see if our back 7 is improved, but I don't see them stopping us on offense.  I'm not even sure TAMU will be that tough, because their defense is terrible, and they lost a lot.  Does UGA have a solid backup QB?   

We only have to win two of those to get to 5 wins.  I'm hoping for 6.  Tops would probably be 7.

If we see dramatic improvement in the back 7 and QB...we might surprise some folks.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChemEHawg on April 01, 2014, 08:30:50 pm
I don't remember playing TAMU very tough last year. I agree that we bottled most everything up except the scramble drill and Mike Evans. What comes to mind is their drive of 10+ consecutive runs between the tackles for a TD. That was a statement. We played good assignment defense on that drive, but couldn't keep them off their down and distance schedule.

I think we beat A&M this year, but wouldn't say hanging within 10 points of an opponent is playing them tough. It'll be great to play them without Evans. The broadcasters will endlessly point to the loss of Johnny Halftime, but IMO Evans was a much bigger loss to their program.

If you think about it, we closed to 38-33 at the very end of the 3rd quarter, but the next drive didn't generate very much and we handed A&M premium field position at their own 43. They were concerned enough about the effectiveness of our injured QB in that game that they proceeded to reel off 7 straight running plays in an effort to drain the clock. Unfortunately we allowed them to score making it 45-33.

Our next possession, starting at our own 17, we drive down the field and stall at the A&M 16.

A&M generates a little drive to get out a hole and ends up punting putting us at our 12 to start the next drive.

And this was where we threw another pick and A&M held the ball for the final minutes of the game.

I think it was a lot closer than what folks remember. What if, on the drive where they did nothing but run the ball, we had been able to tackle? That drive was pretty sickening to watch. What if we hadn't stalled at their 16 and instead had scored? Now you are looking at what could have wound up being a 45-40 ballgame.

I know, a couple of big "what if's", but the point is, the score made it look a lot worse than it was. We had some pretty great moments of play in that game, but we also had some pretty bad moments as well.
Go Hogs Go!

popcornhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 01, 2014, 11:08:12 pm
It's just what you choose to believe. A lot of people are hell bent that concerning Brandon Allen what we have seen is what we are getting. I have no idea but would guess the truth to that is in the middle. I'll take the wait and see approach.

Precisely. Saying that Brandon Allen is gonna lead us to the promised land is absurd. But not expecting any improvement out of him seems just as silly.
WPS

Rhog

Mike_e

If BA is just an average QB (even discounting his injuries last year) then he's due for a major jump in effectiveness next year simply due to QBs getting much better in their second year of starting.

Add to this an upgrade in the WR corps -not only in talent but running their routes better, ie actually being where they're supposed to be when the ball gets there- along with higher moral in their believing that BA will be able to deliver the ball and we should see an extra 75 yards per game.  Along with much better third down conversion rates and red zone production.

Add to this the fact that everybody gets lifted up when the party's hopping then we should also see a better defensive effort even if there were no change in scheme, terminology or personnel.

Guys, the SECW IS tough but you have to remember that we're in the SECW too and they have to deal with us as well.  OK, Bama is still here but they are not going to be invincible this year like they have been in the past.  LSU is still here but they aren't going to be invincible either.  Auburn?  Auburn was beatable last year it's just that only two teams did it last year and one of those was in the NC game. 

Ole Miss?  MSU?  TAMU?  Put them in a barrel and shake them up and just pull one out at a time.  They are all three 6/7/8 win teams depending on a little luck but several somebodies are going to beat them next year, why not us?

SO, OK, maybe next season will go to hell in a bag lady's cart but there is no way to tell it from here in April.

Cheer up!

Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

goodguytex

Go watch last years aggie game again. We nearly beat them. If not for Allen throwing that start of second half int we might have beaten them. It was a close game.

TMc

Quote from: HogFanatic on April 01, 2014, 10:12:48 pm
I actually think our offense has the potential to be pretty tough this year.

It will all depend on how well our defense improves.

I think so too.  I'm trying to be objective here.., but I think the offense is going to be pretty good..., the defense will be better.., better enough to make a difference? Don't know that one.

JayBell

The biggest issue about this team is that they still have not proven that they can win a game in the fourth quarter.  I was one of the loudest ones saying last year that 3-4 wins was way too low of a prediction.  If Allen doesn't get injured, maybe I'm proven right.

But he did get injured. Games against Rutgers, Mississippi State and LSU were all lost in the fourth quarter and/or overtime.  The team hung with A&M and Ole Miss until the third quarter and then fell apart.

I think Arkansas has the potential to win as many as nine games next season, but UAB and Nicholls State are the only two games that you can go into the season and expect a win.  Arkansas should beat Texas Tech and NIU, but what if one or both of those are decided in the fourth quarter?  Has the team (and the coaches) matured enough to pull them out?

JayBell

April 02, 2014, 09:35:22 am #36 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:17:41 pm by JayBell
I don't know why anyone would be terrified of A&M, Georgia and Missouri.  TAMU was all Manziel and Evans last year and they're gone.  People tout the number of returning starters on defense, but bad players are bad players.  How did all of those returning starters on defense help Arkansas over the last six seasons?  Georgia lost a lot of mojo last season and another group to the NFL.  Missouri lost as much production as anyone in the SEC.  If the Hogs play Mizzou as tough at the end of the season as they have always played LSU, there's no reason Arkansas couldn't win that game.

Then you've got Ole Miss and Mississippi State, which are always winnable games.  Saban will destroy Arkansas yet again, but Arkansas always plays Auburn and LSU tough.  So who knows.

So there is plenty of potential to win some games this season, but the team has to prove it.  If they haven't matured enough yet and they haven't gotten better as much as we want, it is plausible to see Arkansas winning four games or less yet again.

popcornhog

If you still have it on the DVR, go watch the A&M game again.

We folded badly late, but it was a very winnable game.
WPS

JayBell

Quote from: popcornhog on April 02, 2014, 09:44:24 amIf you still have it on the DVR, go watch the A&M game again.

There were several games last year, most notably A&M and Ole Miss, where Arkansas had plenty of opportunities to wrestle control of the game away.  Arkansas had multiple chances in both of those games to take the lead and steal all of the momentum.  If they do that and build a lead, maybe they hold onto it.

pfrg999

I have been a 5-7 guy from the end of last season.. we will be better... And if we get the bounces and breaks we could win more... Realistically we are a 5-7 team...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

popcornhog

Quote from: pfrg999 on April 02, 2014, 12:30:49 pm
I have been a 5-7 guy from the end of last season.. we will be better... And if we get the bounces and breaks we could win more... Realistically we are a 5-7 team...

Depending how we get to 5-7, that would be fine. If we're 5-7 and it's clear that we're improving and laying a foundation to compete for the West and the SEC -- it's acceptable in my book.

I really would like to see 6+ wins though and it would be frustrating not to reach that goal.
WPS

code red

I totally agree with you.  I almost shot a 66 yesterday but missed 6 one footers....almost???  The SEC will be tougher than ever.  A&M defense will be lights out with the recruiting to that side of the ball the last 2 years.  Folks that are predicting 3 wins are basing it on all the factors....those that are saying 6-7...IMHO...have not truly looked at this schedule and what these teams did last year.  3 teams on our schedule were BCS teams last year including Northern Illinois.  All of the SEC teams we played made a bowl...that means extra practices.  In order for the Hogs to have a winning record Brandon has to play much better than he did last year.   If we have to play a fresh Q we will be in trouble....and right now we are one hit away from that.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Wildhog

You can mark me down right now as saying that if we go 3-9, that CBB should be fired on the spot.

But we're not going 3-9.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: Wildhog on April 02, 2014, 01:48:14 pm
You can mark me down right now as saying that if we go 3-9, that CBB should be fired on the spot.

But we're not going 3-9.

I'll say this, I'll be one pitchfork carryin' sumbish if we can't win 5 games.
Go away, batin'

code red

Quote from: popcornhog on April 02, 2014, 09:44:24 am
If you still have it on the DVR, go watch the A&M game again.

I just don't see it.  They ran the football the entire 2nd half and just gashed us.  If the WX would have been good Johnny would have had a field day. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

870hogfan

hogsanity

When I looked at last years schedule before the season, I said the Hogs would be underdogs in 9 of the games, and the season would swing on the Rutgers game.

This year, when I look at it, I think the Hogs will be favored in all 4 OOC games, and might be favored at home in a late season sec game, depending on how the first 7 or 8 games go.

But, I still only see 3 games I look at and say "sure" win. I think TT is a toss up, and just like the Rutgers game, this season will swing on the TT game.  Win that and they are likely 4-0 in the ooc, so they need 2 sec wins to make a bowl. GA, MS, old misses are the likeliest chances for SEC wins. I'd be very happy with 6-6 and a bowl.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on April 02, 2014, 01:51:52 pm
I'll say this, I'll be one pitchfork carryin' sumbish if we can't win 5 games.

Same here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dominicanhog

It's April so I'll go with 9 and 3...

wins against UAB, Nic state, NIU, TT, MSU, A & M, Georgia, OM and LSU

losses to Auburn, Alabama and Missouri...

so I'm a homer ;D :razorback:

EastexHawg

What difference does it make what someone else believes?  Come December 1 all the prognostications will be moot and we'll know for sure.

Anyone who had predicted 3-9 and 0-8 going into last season would have been branded an unreasonable pessimist and possibly not a real Hog fan.

I don't know how many games this team will win so I'll just watch the games and find out.  Having said that, I haven't seen any evidence to make me believe we're about to embark on a remarkable turnaround.  But as they say in baseball...in spring training everyone's a contender.