Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-5 ?

Started by Henry Hogsome, April 01, 2014, 01:31:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hogsome

Is 7-5 record obtainable this fall? We got 3 for sure wins, Nicholls St, Northern Illinois and UAB. Where would the other 4 come from?

trashcan maN

We get GA and Ole Miss at home, and I think we're better than TTU and MSST.

LSU at home and TAMU at a 'neutral' site are also possibilities for wins.

swinemaster

Northern Illinois is by no means a "sure win"

PorkRinds

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 01:36:46 pm
We get GA and Ole Miss at home, and I think we're better than TTU and MSST.

LSU at home and TAMU at a 'neutral' site are also possibilities for wins.

I think MSST might surprise some people this year.  I hope not, but I'm afraid they may be pretty good.  I do think we have 7-5 in us though if things go well and we don't get butt raped by injuries. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: swinemaster on April 01, 2014, 01:38:46 pm

Their star QB who did everything for them offensively is gone. Not the same caliber team they were last year.

I'm thinking 6-6 is the more realistic goal. And even that will be tough.

Henry Hogsome

Quote from: swinemaster on April 01, 2014, 01:38:46 pm
They lose their Qb and that is really gonna hurt them.

hogatheart

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 01:41:01 pm
I think MSST might surprise some people this year.  I hope not, but I'm afraid they may be pretty good.  I do think we have 7-5 in us though if things go well and we don't get butt raped by injuries.
this,.... They will be very good with DP at qb. That being said, iif we have some fair defensive improvement, I could see a 7-5. We have the tools. WPS!!!

DeltaBoy

7-5 should be the least we accept this fall !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2014, 01:53:30 pm

Lol.  We have no choice but to accept the record, however good or bad it may be.

Henry Hogsome

4-8 is the worst we will be this fall imo. We will win one game in Conf. Probably Ole Miss or Georgia in the rock.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on April 01, 2014, 01:41:39 pm
They lose their Qb and that is really gonna hurt them.
That's what they said when they lost the QB before this one that was also busting A out there. The next guy that steps in could be just as good. I certainly wouldn't mark that game as a W if I was the Hog team.

Wildhog

I'd be tickled to death with seven wins. 

Tell me where you see these 8+ wins.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ifghog

I respectfully disagree...I think we will be much improved and 5-7. I will take that. I don't want that..but I will take it. If we go 7-5 CBB should be National Coach of the year.

popcornhog

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on April 01, 2014, 01:31:37 pm
Is 7-5 record obtainable this fall? We got 3 for sure wins, Nicholls St, Northern Illinois and UAB. Where would the other 4 come from?

I do not think that NIU is a "sure win." We should be favored though.

TTU on the road is probably a toss-up.

LSU and A&M will almost surely be favored to beat us, but who knows how good A&M will really be -- and of course we always seem to be able to play with LSU. It's not out of the question that we could split those two games, which would get us to 5 wins if we beat TTU.

I expect to be able to beat State in Starkville which would put us at 6 wins.

Ole Miss will be tough but not impossible at home.

Bama is highly unlikely.

UGA in LR would be an upset -- I'm not really sure exactly what they're returning. I know they were really banged up last year and get a ton of guys back that didn't play in 2013. But they do lose Murray, right?

@AU -- I'm glad we get them in week one while they're breaking in a new QB. Long shot, but what better time to catch them?

I really don't know what Mizzou returns.

Is there a 7th win in there? It seems possible to me.

***EDIT -- I clearly am a dumbass. Thought NM was out at AU.
WPS

Henry Hogsome

Quote from: FaytownHog on April 01, 2014, 02:05:32 pm
That's what they said when they lost the QB before this one that was also busting A out there. The next guy that steps in could be just as good. I certainly wouldn't mark that game as a W if I was the Hog team.
I guess I've should have learned My lesson from the 2012 Rutgers Game. Really the only gimme game is Nicholls St.

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 02:14:26 pm
@AU -- I'm glad we get them in week one while they're breaking in a new QB. Long shot, but what better time to catch them?

They won't be breaking in a new QB. Marshall is back.

PorkRinds

LSU and A&M will almost surely be favored to beat us, but who knows how good A&M will really be -- and of course we always seem to be able to play with LSU. It's not out of the question that we could split those two games, which would get us to 5 wins if we beat TTU.

Bama is highly unlikely.

UGA in LR would be an upset -- I'm not really sure exactly what they're returning. I know they were really banged up last year and get a ton of guys back that didn't play in 2013. But they do lose Murray, right?

They won't be breaking in a new QB.  Theirs is returning.  I do agree though, that it's better to get AU when they are not in full swing and their offense isn't running on all cylinders yet.

popcornhog

All things considered, I'd set the benchmark at 6 for what should be acceptable.

That said, until we see how it all plays out, I can't say that for sure. Depending how it plays out -- 6 might be unacceptable or 5 might be acceptable.

The absolute bottom line will be whether or not we showed legitimate improvement and whether or not we're being set up to succeed in the coming seasons. We're building toward a goal -- it will not be achieved this year.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 02:16:23 pm
They won't be breaking in a new QB. Marshall is back.

Damn, I thought he was gone.

-1 to me.

I'd still prefer to catch them in game 1.
WPS

code red

April 01, 2014, 02:19:44 pm #19 Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:31:11 pm by code red
We are one year removed from getting owned.  I think 7-5 is the ceiling.  This in no way is intended to imply negativity toward any coach or player.  We will be tested out of the gate and probably lose.  The odds of a upset in the plains opening night are not good.  I think Mstate will have one of the best years in recent years.  Dak Prescott is a man.  Running QB's give us trouble. LSU has a running Q this year.  Mizzou has a running Q...a passing Q and a guy that reminds me of Johnny Football more and more everyday.  Maty Mauk is a weapon.  You almost gotta go cover 0 when they spread you 4 wide....just to keep him from killing you up the gut.  Georgia has a capable QB in Mason.  I think he threw for over 300 vs. Nebraska in the Gator.  I feel it is a mistake to over estimate this team this year.  We will not be favored in a single SEC game to start the year.  Where is my optimism???  You gotta show me.  I say 4-8.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Henry Hogsome

Bama is highly unlikely.

***EDIT -- I clearly am a dumbass. Thought NM was out at AU.
Correct on Murray. Lr better be fired up for the Georgia Game. We gonna need that crowd noise. Lr is on it's last leg.

MJ2

I'm only seeing 2-8 or 3-9 right now.   Pretty certain another 0-8 SEC season is in the making unless one of the lower level teams has a collapse.  No Ill is a loss.

Wildhog

Quote from: MJ2 on April 01, 2014, 02:35:32 pm
I'm only seeing 2-8 or 3-9 right now.   Pretty certain another 0-8 SEC season is in the making unless one of the lower level teams has a collapse.  No Ill is a loss.

lolololololol
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

popcornhog

Interesting. I am befuddled by people who think NIU is a gimme, but to mark it down as a near certain loss seems even sillier.

What about that matchup worries you so much?
WPS

code red

I am with you.  Except for the NI...we will win non conference but, prob not at Tech.  I am sorry but it is going to take a while guys.  There has to be monumental improvements in the secondary and QB play to compete in the SEC.  Ask yourself...what game will the odds makers have Arkansas favored in conference???  The answer will be 0.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

kingofdequeen

i would crap a happiness brick if they got to 7-5. 

yraciv

April 01, 2014, 02:47:36 pm #26 Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:12:43 pm by yraciv
Quote from: FaytownHog on April 01, 2014, 02:05:32 pm

Maybe so, but I have a hard time believing they will be ready by week 4.  Sure maybe 1 of the QB will turn into a NFL prospect in time, but they've got 3 lightly recruited guys with no experience. only  positive is we have been burned by dual threats often, which they are.  They've got a pretty good tailback combo, but I have a hard time believing their OL can deal with Trey Flowers in company.  Our major advantage is they lose their entire DL.  I don't see anyway we can't run it down their throats.

code red

Quote from: yraciv on April 01, 2014, 02:47:36 pm
Maybe so, but I have a hard time believing they will be ready by week 4.  Sure maybe 1 of the QB will turn into a NFL prospect in time, but they've got 3 lightly recruited guys with no experience. only  positive is we have been burned by dual threats often, which they are.  They've got a pretty good tailback combo, but I have a hard time believing their OL can deal with Chris Smith in company.  Our major advantage is they lose their entire DL.  I don't see anyway we can't run it down their throats.
I think you mean Flowers...Smith will be making NFL jack.

RazorPiggie

Dear God.

FaytownHog

Quote from: code red on April 01, 2014, 02:19:44 pm
We are one year removed from getting owned.  I think 7-5 is the ceiling.  This in no way is intended to imply negativity toward any coach or player.  We will be tested out of the gate and probably lose.  The odds of a upset in the plains opening night are not good.  I think Mstate will have one of the best years in recent years.  Dak Prescott is a man.  Running QB's give us trouble. LSU has a running Q this year.  Mizzou has a running Q...a passing Q and a guy that reminds me of Johnny Football more and more everyday.  Maty Mauk is a weapon.  You almost gotta go cover 0 when they spread you 4 wide....just to keep him from killing you up the gut.  Georgia has a capable QB in Mason.  I think he threw for over 300 vs. Nebraska in the Gator.  I feel it is a mistake to over estimate this team this year.  We will not be favored in a single SEC game to start the year.  Where is my optimism???  You gotta show me.  I say 4-8.
Auburn was 1 year removed from an 0-fer SEC record year before last and they did alright last year.

code red

Quote from: FaytownHog on April 01, 2014, 02:53:44 pm
Auburn was 1 year removed from an 0-fer SEC record year before last and they did alright last year.
They also recruited in the top 10 talent with Gus as an Assist Coach.  I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

FaytownHog

Quote from: code red on April 01, 2014, 02:56:09 pm
They also recruited in the top 10 talent with Gus as an Assist Coach.  I think you are comparing apples to oranges.
I just stated a fact bc the argument was that we are 1 year removed from a terrible record that we can't make THAT much of an improvement in 1 year. Crazy things DO happen.

popcornhog

Quote from: code red on April 01, 2014, 02:56:09 pm

I like our coaching staff -- especially Bielema compared to Chizick. Why the dig at the staff there?

But, yes, the top recruiting classes at AU are something we don't have right now.
WPS

code red

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 02:59:03 pm
I like our coaching staff -- especially Bielema compared to Chizick. Why the dig at the staff there?

But, yes, the top recruiting classes at AU are something we don't have right now.
Its not a dig there dude.  Go look it up.  The years Gus was at AU he killed it.  Remember Auburn tried smash mouth in 12...with the wrong athletes.  The reason for Auburns success in 13 is because his players were in place.  It was actually a complement to our staff and how they have recruited to their system.  It is not going to happen over night fella's. Pump the sunshine all you want but next year expect more of the same.  Year 4 I say we see significant improvement.  We need to get LB's in 15 and get em ready by 17.  We didn't really address that need with the last class.

PorkRinds

Quote from: code red on April 01, 2014, 03:02:08 pm
Its not a dig there dude.  Go look it up.  The years Gus was at AU he killed it.  Remember Auburn tried smash mouth in 12...with the wrong athletes.  The reason for Auburns success in 13 is because his players were in place.  It was actually a complement to our staff and how they have recruited to their system.  It is not going to happen over night fella's. Pump the sunshine all you want but next year expect more of the same.  Year 4 I say we see significant improvement.  We need to get LB's in 15 and get em ready by 17.  We didn't really address that need with the last class.

We did sign three LB's.  Did you want more, or just higher rated LB's?

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 03:10:55 pm
We did sign three LB's.  Did you want more, or just higher rated LB's?
Yes and Yes.

PorkRinds

Quote from: code red on April 01, 2014, 03:11:29 pm
Yes and Yes.

I really don't think we will get 4 and 5* LB's until our defense shows dramatic improvement. 

code red

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 03:14:12 pm
I really don't think we will get 4 and 5* LB's until our defense shows dramatic improvement. 
I totally agree...problem is.  In the SEC you better have em....or you better score like the dickens or your going to lose.

The NewEra

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on April 01, 2014, 01:31:37 pm

Henry, you can mark me down for 8 wins.  Sure I'm a Homer, that's why I come to this site. :)

If we have a highly functioning quarterback this year I feel good with eight.  If not then color me scared to watch.  Several other teams in the SEC are bringing in a new q.b.  We have over 15 freshmen with substantial playing experience.  I think the aggressive defense is just what the doctor ordered for this team and it should help young players overcome some deficiencies when they are allowed to just fly to the ball.

Paul

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 02:46:57 pm
i would crap a happiness brick if they got to 7-5.
Heh  I'm wicha

Henry Hogsome

I hope the players read Hogville.  ;)

MJ2

Quote from: popcornhog on April 01, 2014, 02:45:46 pm
Interesting. I am befuddled by people who think NIU is a gimme, but to mark it down as a near certain loss seems even sillier.

What about that matchup worries you so much?
They - N.I. will view it as their chance to punch a big, bad, SEC team in the mouth and they'll come prepared with nothing to lose.    Hopefully, we won't be so conservative, but I'll have to see the changes to believe the.   N.I. has always had good talent and we'll get to see it first hand.

opineonswine

7-5 would appear highly unlikely given where we're coming from and our schedule...however, it's possible.  It's why we play the game.  I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible.

MikePiazza

8/30 at Auburn L
9/6 Nicholls St. W
9/13 at TTU L
9/20 NIU W
9/27 A&M W
10/11 Bama L
10/18 UGA W
10/25 UAB W
11/1 at MSU L
11/15 LSU W
11/22 Ole Miss W
11/29 at Mizzou L

tophawg19

this is ''that'' team that could go 7 and 5 or just as easily go 2 and 10 . A lot will depend on the turnover margin and injuries . personally 5 and 7 looks about right
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

FaytownHog

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 01, 2014, 04:36:23 pm
8/30 at Auburn L
9/6 Nicholls St. W
9/13 at TTU L
9/20 NIU W
9/27 A&M W
10/11 Bama L
10/18 UGA W
10/25 UAB W
11/1 at MSU L
11/15 LSU W
11/22 Ole Miss W
11/29 at Mizzou L
That's quite an interesting guess. Lose to MSU then turn around the next week and beat LSU? I guess anything is possible. I think we'll have measurable improvement and maybe win one we shouldn't but I just don't know which one it would be.
If I'm honest, this is how I see it playing out unless we make a jump up
8/30 at Auburn L
9/6 Nicholls St. W
9/13 at TTU L
9/20 NIU W
9/27 A&M L
10/11 Bama L
10/18 UGA L
10/25 UAB W
11/1 at MSU W
11/15 LSU L
11/22 Ole Miss W
11/29 at Mizzou L

5-7 if we can get A&M as our "game we shouldn't win" in this scenario.

The_Iceman

I'm going with:

@Auburn L
Nicholls St. W
@TTU L
NIU W
A&M L
Bama L
UGA W
UAB W
@MSU L
LSU W
Ole Miss W
@Mizzou L

Hexametaphosph8

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 05:06:39 pm
I'm going with:

@Auburn L
Nicholls St. W
@TTU L
NIU W
A&M L
Bama L
UGA W
UAB W
@MSU L
LSU W
Ole Miss W
@Mizzou L

I would be very happy with this. 

Pig Worshipper

If we have good quarterback play, we can go 7-5. If not, more like 4-8. I don't expect the defense to be much improved in the first year of our new defensive co-ordinator, so I'm hoping our offense can carry us.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Wildhog on April 01, 2014, 02:07:02 pm
I'd be tickled to death with seven wins. 

Tell me where you see these 8+ wins.

Nichols St.
Texas Tech
NIU
T A&M
Uga
UAB
Miss St
Ole Miss