Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Red

Started by trashcan maN, April 01, 2014, 08:42:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

http://www.4029tv.com/news/university-to-change-official-school-color-on-licensed-products/25257614?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=4029%2Bnews

It looks like all Razorback gear going forward will be one shade of red.

It sounds like we won't see the brighter red anymore.

The_Iceman

I would say this is old news, except for:

"Now, licensed products will be Pantone 201 – a darker shade similar to the University of Alabama's red."

Originally, they said it would be Pantone 202.

trashcan maN

I knew it had been discussed, but I didn't know anything was official. The article was written yesterday.

The_Iceman

Here are some different shade examples:

razorhogLR

Well I definitely like 201 more than 202

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorhogLR on April 01, 2014, 09:57:49 am
Well I definitely like 201 more than 202

It definitely reflects more of our jersey color than 200c or 202c:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 08:42:52 am
http://www.4029tv.com/news/university-to-change-official-school-color-on-licensed-products/25257614?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=4029%2Bnews

The interesting thing about that link is it says 550 companies make Razorback products.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 08:42:52 am

The interesting thing about that link is it says 550 companies make Razorback products.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

It doesn't matter cause I got 40 years of Hog stuff and it runs shades of red all over the place.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OldCoot

Jimmy Dykes and now this.  I've about lost my steam complaining about Jeff Long.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dude on April 01, 2014, 07:08:54 pm
Jimmy Dykes and now this.  I've about lost my steam complaining about Jeff Long.

What's there to complain about? All Jeff is trying to do is get all the merchandise to be the same color as the jerseys.

Isn't the Color on the jerseys "razorback red?"

ChicoHog

I like the darker shade better.  I am not fond of the UGA or nebraska red.  Too bright. 

Razor6

What is the Sherwin Williams color for this, so I can paint my house? ;)
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

redeye

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 07:50:08 pm
What's there to complain about? All Jeff is trying to do is get all the merchandise to be the same color as the jerseys.

Isn't the Color on the jerseys "razorback red?"

It's supposed to be Cardinal Red, which is PMS 200.  I believe that's due to our history as the Arkansas Cardinals.

Personally, I hate that we're changing the color.  The reason our colors have been all over the place is because someone(s) decided they didn't like cardinal red and thought our color should be darker.  This just finalizes what they began in the eighties, when our red suddenly began looking like A&M's maroon.

To be honest, it was never really about consistency with me, but rather about keeping our color red, and not maroon.  I always hated A&M's and MSU's colors.  Alabama's color, which is also PMS 201, is a little better, but it's not "Razorback Red".  Or, at least it wasn't until today.

Hog1952

I like the darker shade.

go hogues

St. Louis Cardinals use 200 but the Stanford Cardinal use 201.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

redeye

Quote from: go hogues on April 01, 2014, 11:40:22 pm
St. Louis Cardinals use 200 but the Stanford Cardinal use 201.

Ah, you're right and I like Stanford's red.

urkillnmesmalls

Didn't something just come out recently that it was to be Pantone 202c? 

Wow...that's a clear message.  I wonder what it will be in another month or two?   ???

I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things if they can all agree on the color, but if it's Bama's color...YUCK. 

But let's be realistic.  What are the chances that the quality control in those sweat shops in China and Korea who make that stuff are really going to be that consistent? 

I'd say there's a better chance of KingofDequeen not being crass, or JStock turning into an optimist.   :P
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

The_Iceman

To everyone asking if it will be Bama red or Aggie red: look on tne field or court and ask if the players jerseys look that color.

Theres your answer.

DLUXHOG

April 02, 2014, 06:40:10 am #19 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:56:56 am by DLUXHOG
official "Pantone 201" color swatch from Pantone.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Boston RedHogs

I like Pantone 201.  Good choice!

BorderPatrol

I sure hope they called holding on that top picture.

bp

EastexHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 07:50:08 pm

Was it necessary to change the official school color to accomplish that?  What if he had just told all vendors that only Pantone 200 could be used for licensed merchandise?

The_Iceman

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 02, 2014, 03:55:56 pm
Was it necessary to change the official school color to accomplish that?  What if he had just told all vendors that only Pantone 200 could be used for licensed merchandise?

then all of our merchandise would be Georgia (200) red, and our jerseys and coaches gear would be Razorback (201) red.

When anyone has turned on the TV and seen the Razorbacks play, they have identified Arkansas red as the jersey color, which is 201. Changing a number in the book may technically be changing our official color, but its not really.

Henry Hogsome

I actually like the darker shade of red for our razorbacks. Think i am going to look for a darker red razorback nike hat at hogmans gameday superstore this saturday.

EastexHawg

I hope this link works.  I think the Georgia helmet in this photo is pretty close to "traditional" Razorback red...and I believe their official color is Pantone 200.

One thing we all have to realize is that lighting can affect the color we think we're seeing in photos.  Jerseys and helmets look lighter in bright sunlight, for instance.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AjlCPK4GUyZhPoeHSgRi2P2bvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=georgia%20bulldogs%20football%20photos

Okay, the link doesn't go directly to the picture I wanted but it is the helmet in the upper right hand corner of the group of photos.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 02, 2014, 03:55:56 pm

The mistake was made when whoever declared our color as PMS 200, whenever that happened 30, 40, 50 years ago.  Our color - what we wear - has NEVER been the color that PMS 200 is.

I noticed this the first time I ever heard about what our official color specification was maybe 20 years ago.  I looked at and I remember feeling that it wasn't the right shade.  Concerned me a little, but not a lot since what I saw our teams wearing on the field/court WAS the right color in most instances (there was a time in the 80's when I'd swear we were wearing something pretty close to 202 - we looked almost maroon!).

So, in my mind, this is fixing a mistake made and clarifying things.  Who knows - this may be the reason we have seen so many shades of red on Hog paraphernalia over the years.  If vendors just took the PMS 200, well then the product will be too bright red (Georgia, Houston).  If they eyeball what we wear, then it will be darker.  We've seen items all over the spectrum. 

Time to get it right.

WizardofhOgZ

April 02, 2014, 04:34:37 pm #27 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:47:04 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Compare yourself - side by side - ours is darker.  Or, said another way, the UGA seems a little brighter, probably has a little more yellow in it.  I would call it a "fire engine red" (or, closer to that than our shade).

or our more recent helmets:

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 02, 2014, 04:29:15 pm
I hope this link works.  I think the Georgia helmet in this photo is pretty close to "traditional" Razorback red...and I believe their official color is Pantone 200.

One thing we all have to realize is that lighting can affect the color we think we're seeing in photos.  Jerseys and helmets look lighter in bright sunlight, for instance.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AjlCPK4GUyZhPoeHSgRi2P2bvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=georgia%20bulldogs%20football%20photos

Okay, the link doesn't go directly to the picture I wanted but it is the helmet in the upper right hand corner of the group of photos.

The_Iceman

April 02, 2014, 04:39:25 pm #28 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:55:00 pm by The_Iceman
It's the difference in:

VS.

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

ChicoHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2014, 04:39:25 pm
It's the difference in:

VS.

Vs.

Vs.

Vs.

The best thing about that picture is all those QBs are gone except Allen.  SEC will have many new faces under center in 2014.

EastexHawg

Maybe it's just the monitor on which I am viewing,  but the Georgia splotch above looks more like the jersey color that Loyd Phillips and Bill Montgomery wore than any of the others.

jb11

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 03, 2014, 02:35:30 pm
Maybe it's just the monitor on which I am viewing,  but the Georgia splotch above looks more like the jersey color that Loyd Phillips and Bill Montgomery wore than any of the others.
That was 50 yrs ago.  You remember exactly the color of those jerseys back then.  Your memory is a lot better than most around here.

The_Iceman

WizardofhOgZ

Not to me.  Looks more like Nebraska's color than ours.  And Georgia's always seems to have a little orange tinge to it.

LZH

The brighter, the better. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on April 01, 2014, 10:47:32 pm
It's supposed to be Cardinal Red, which is PMS 200.  I believe that's due to our history as the Arkansas Cardinals.

Personally, I hate that we're changing the color.  The reason our colors have been all over the place is because someone(s) decided they didn't like cardinal red and thought our color should be darker.  This just finalizes what they began in the eighties, when our red suddenly began looking like A&M's maroon.

To be honest, it was never really about consistency with me, but rather about keeping our color red, and not maroon.  I always hated A&M's and MSU's colors.  Alabama's color, which is also PMS 201, is a little better, but it's not "Razorback Red".  Or, at least it wasn't until today.

It never looked maroon to me. I guess we need to ask what color white will our away uniforms be? Don't you just love the offseason...............

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 08:49:27 am
I would say this is old news, except for:

"Now, licensed products will be Pantone 201 – a darker shade similar to the University of Alabama's red."

Originally, they said it would be Pantone 202.

That was a prerequisite of Saban's before he would accept our head coaching job.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

EastexHawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 03, 2014, 05:10:52 pm
Georgia's always seems to have a little orange tinge to it.

How much difference can you tell between the color of #82's helmet and Bill Montgomery's jersey in that Sugar Bowl photo?

I think we have added a touch of maroon to our uniforms over the years.  I don't have to remember what Loyd Phillips' jersey looked like when there are pictures of it available.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608008184847010444&pid=15.1

Maybe someone who knows how to do it can insert the photo itself from that link.

redeye

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 02:55:20 pm
How much difference can you tell between the color of #82's helmet and Bill Montgomery's jersey in that Sugar Bowl photo?

I think we have added a touch of maroon to our uniforms over the years. I don't have to remember what Loyd Phillips' jersey looked like when there are pictures of it available.

Maybe someone who knows how to do it can insert the photo itself from that link.

I don't remember our color changing much before the late eighties, when they changed it to look like A&M's for a while.  Before that happened, it probably did change some, but it was always red.  After that time, we've seen maroon interjected here and there regularly.

I've always thought that Alabama's red was darker then ours, but they also use PMS 201, so I guess we'll look like Alabama now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: redeye on April 07, 2014, 03:58:13 pm
I've always thought that Alabama's red was darker then ours, but they also use PMS 201, so I guess we'll look like Alabama now.

A slight variation. Bama's red is officially lighter than most people think.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 07, 2014, 02:55:20 pm

I think we have added a touch of maroon to our uniforms over the years.  I don't have to remember what Loyd Phillips' jersey looked like when there are pictures of it available.

The image I posted of Bill M. passing in the Sugar Bowl is not the best specimen, as it has slightly yellowed with age before being scanned.  And the pic of Loyd, which I am familiar with is in a studio with bright lights - so it's going to look different than what we see in outside lighting. 

Here is a more current example that shows how UGA red looks more "orange" than our deeper shade of red:

redeye

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 07, 2014, 06:22:02 pm
The image I posted of Bill M. passing in the Sugar Bowl is not the best specimen, as it has slightly yellowed with age before being scanned.  And the pic of Loyd, which I am familiar with is in a studio with bright lights - so it's going to look different than what we see in outside lighting. 

Here is a more current example that shows how UGA red looks more "orange" than our deeper shade of red:

Georgia's red doesn't look that accurate, either.  You can probably say that about everyone's, but ours has certainly darkened some over the years.

I guess I'm okay with PMS 201, but I find it offensive when our uniforms begin looking maroon.

N HOG

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't our colors cardinal and white?

I can assure you a cardinal is much more 200 than 201.

In that regard, the St. Louis Cardinals have it right.

I like the 201 okay, maybe even a bit better than 200 -- but we should then quit calling our school colors cardinal and white.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 07, 2014, 06:22:02 pm

Really great points about the aging of the pic before it was scanned, differences in lighting, etc. Not to mention the film stocks, optics, film processing and printing techniques that were used from that era... Each step of the process could screw with the color during the image chain.

Also, when trying to make fine judgements about color on your computer monitor... Unless you work in the Post Production Industry (Stills/Motion/TV/Film/Internet/Print) (or have an insane Home Theater) then odds are you aren't using highly specialized software like LightSpace CMS with a Klein K10-A Probe ($12K+ for both)for the advanced color management of your Monitors so that you can make definite decisions about color.

Not trying to be obstinate but you absolutely need to understand how all of these variations and more affect the color/perception of color through the image acquisition phase and subsequent viewing chain.

The_Iceman and WizardofhOgZ made some great points! +1

1960'sHogFan

Don't worry, a change happens about every 3 years ( official or not ), it's a AR  tradition or embarrassment.

Most of the products are made in China ( they aren't sure if Red or Yellow is their Official color ), so who knows what we might be shipped ?

Wal Mart can sell whatever color the Chinese send them. ( The Licensing folks will look the other way if the money is flowing in )

redeye

Quote from: N HOG on April 07, 2014, 11:57:19 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't our colors cardinal and white?

I can assure you a cardinal is much more 200 than 201.

In that regard, the St. Louis Cardinals have it right.

I like the 201 okay, maybe even a bit better than 200 -- but we should then quit calling our school colors cardinal and white.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Stanford also uses 201 and the cardinal color is their mascot, or whatever they call it.  Seems quite common for schools to take such liberties with their colors.

Speaking of Stanford, I always thought their red was darker then ours, too.

The_Iceman

Quote from: redeye on April 08, 2014, 02:55:30 am
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Stanford also uses 201 and the cardinal color is their mascot, or whatever they call it.  Seems quite common for schools to take such liberties with their colors.

Speaking of Stanford, I always thought their red was darker then ours, too.

Yep, Stanford Cardinal:

Arkansas Razorbacks (cardinal red):

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Hog_Father on April 08, 2014, 01:23:11 am
Really great points about the aging of the pic before it was scanned, differences in lighting, etc. Not to mention the film stocks, optics, film processing and printing techniques that were used from that era... Each step of the process could screw with the color during the image chain.

Also, when trying to make fine judgements about color on your computer monitor... Unless you work in the Post Production Industry (Stills/Motion/TV/Film/Internet/Print) (or have an insane Home Theater) then odds are you aren't using highly specialized software like LightSpace CMS with a Klein K10-A Probe ($12K+ for both)for the advanced color management of your Monitors so that you can make definite decisions about color.

Not trying to be obstinate but you absolutely need to understand how all of these variations and more affect the color/perception of color through the image acquisition phase and subsequent viewing chain.

The_Iceman and WizardofhOgZ made some great points! +1

If you want to WalMart, BestBuy, or Sams, and had them show a bouquet of red roses on the wall of TV screens, you would be hard pressed to find any two TV's that showed the same color red.  It would range from pink to maroon...GUARANTEE it. 

I'm just glad to hear that they're at least trying to figure in some quality control.  There's no way to make them all match, and as I've said before, the stands will still be filled with fans who will have the EXACT SAME shirt on, but one will have worn and washed his more, and it's going to look a shade or two lighter. 

But...at least maybe we won't have OFFICIAL FREAKIN' T-SHIRTS that say "Never Yield" that are PINK !!!!   >:(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2014, 06:42:05 am
Yep, Stanford Cardinal:

Arkansas Razorbacks (cardinal red):

IMO, the Addidas version of Razorback red was better than Nike's.  I think the Nike versions have a little more "pink" to them and have been a little brighter.

Now if we could just get rid of the pesky "wolf" start to the Hog call...   >:(

EastexHawg

Yes, the Bill Montgomery Sugar Bowl photo is from 1968.  But so is the picture of #82 from Georgia in the same game.  I see very little difference between the color of his helmet and Montgomery's jersey.

I'm not arguing that the uniforms we have worn for the last several years are the same color as Georgia's, I am saying that over the years WE (as in the U of A) have changed/darkened the color of our own uniforms.  In other words, if Loyd Phillips time traveled from 1965 to today some of our fans, especially the younger ones, would probably say that his jersey was too "red" to be Razorback cardinal.