Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema @ Harrison Area Razorback Club Recap

Started by Tim Harris, April 01, 2014, 06:57:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcat ball

Quote from: locusbug on April 01, 2014, 10:45:42 am
That is the truth. The Korliss over Collins debate went on for pages. All it took was one poster to say Korliss deserved more carries than he got last year, and people began to say Korliss was better. Unbelievable.

I'd say Korliss needs more touches. Get him the ball in space. Play all 3 together. Might as well use all the weapons you got.

JWill 15-20 touches per game
AC 15-20 touches per game
KM 10-15 touches per game on top of his KO Return Touches.

Obviously it varies depending on who has it going that day.
WOO PIG

PorkRinds

Quote from: locusbug on April 01, 2014, 10:45:42 am
That is the truth. The Korliss over Collins debate went on for pages. All it took was one poster to say Korliss deserved more carries than he got last year, and people began to say Korliss was better. Unbelievable.

Yep.  Amazing how a bit of bad press for Collins lately(supposedly) has pushed folks around here to shove our record breaking Freshman out the door in favor of a guy that got only a few touches last season.  It's unreal.  I hope his allegiance to our university is way stronger than many of our fan's allegiance to him after such a record breaking season. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: bobcat ball on April 01, 2014, 10:49:16 am
I'd say Korliss needs more touches. Get him the ball in space. Play all 3 together. Might as well use all the weapons you got.

JWill 15-20 touches per game
AC 15-20 touches per game
KM 10-15 touches per game on top of his KO Return Touches.

Obviously it varies depending on who has it going that day.

I'd love to see all three of them get more catches out of the backfield.  That's one thing we lacked last season, was the ability to get our backs some passes that they had a chance to break for large gains.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 10:50:43 am
Yep.  Amazing how a bit of bad press for Collins lately(supposedly) has pushed folks around here to shove our record breaking Freshman out the door in favor of a guy that got only a few touches last season.  It's unreal.  I hope his allegiance to our university is way stronger than many of our fan's allegiance to him after such a record breaking season.

His Twitter account seems to reflect a diehard Hog. CBB has indicated he believes Collins will get his act together.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: locusbug on April 01, 2014, 10:53:01 am
His Twitter account seems to reflect a diehard Hog. CBB has indicated he believes Collins will get his act together.

Yep.  I see it like some others have said.  I think CBB probably holds AC to a higher standard than some of the others, because he's been the face of the program and likely has some growing up to do.  Being famous (even regionally) isn't an easy thing to deal with while having to stay focused on improving your game.

bobcat ball

Quote from: locusbug on April 01, 2014, 10:53:01 am

The crap I've seen is a lot to do about nothing IMO.

WOO PIG

opineonswine

Most improved players at QB and corner would give us a chance to win more games since that was a problem last year.  Hopefully the new receivers bring more to the table also.  Better play at safety and LB would add to the improvement.  Sounds good to me!

PorkRinds

Quote from: opineonswine on April 01, 2014, 10:57:00 am
Most improved players at QB and corner would give us a chance to win more games since that was a problem last year.  Hopefully the new receivers bring more to the table also.  Better play at safety and LB would add to the improvement.  Sounds good to me!

Agreed.  If we can sure up LB, CB, and QB I think we will win some games.  WR would help too...

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 10:13:51 am
Faster doesn't make a better back.

This.  Everyone says that Marshall has "that extra gear" that Collins doesn't have.  So what?  Collins is more like Emmitt Smith than he is Darren McFadden.  He gets big chunks at a time without busting 80-yarders.

secneahog

I'm not saying Korliss doesn't have the ability to be better but the proof isn't there yet.

Facts is AC accomplished alot in year 1.
We haven't been able to sit in practice and watch KM and AC run.

No one can get on here and say KM is our best 2nd back because we have no proof.

Plus our wr play is going to determine how good our qb looks.
If they run wrong routes it will cripple us.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Dark Helmet Hog

Great report. Love the information!

Thanks!

drizzle

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 01, 2014, 10:13:40 am
You should transfer.

Wait, we can make that happen? What is wrong with us, why haven't we made this happen yet?!

jabohog

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 08:49:07 am
JWill fumbled once or twice, but I don't know that he lost any fumbles.

I know you were trying to make a point, but saying AC had as many fumbles as TDs is misleading and unfair IMO. He was a 1000+ yd rusher. He didn't get any work in goal line packages or he would've doubled that #.
If he didn't fumble.

jabohog

Bielema wants AC to get the tough yards up the middle instead of always bouncing outside. He'll get there.

Oklahawg

If y'all want to talk AC go do that elsewhere. You are ruining a good thread on the Harrison Area RC club meeting.

A question to that end: does CBB do a good job on the meet/greet circuit? Seems to.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Steef

Put me in the category of thinking three great RBS at one time is a GOOD thing.

And all three will get PT.

This is a non-problem.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 01, 2014, 12:32:00 pm
If y'all want to talk AC go do that elsewhere. You are ruining a good thread on the Harrison Area RC club meeting.

A question to that end: does CBB do a good job on the meet/greet circuit? Seems to.

I think so.

crickets

Can we get back to RB talk now?  I'm at work and don't have time to make a new thread.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

seasonhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 01, 2014, 10:42:35 am
Collins has vision and patience as a runner, two characteristics in a running back that many don't understand are more valueable than straight ahead speed.

Chris, you are 100% correct.......

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 10:50:43 am

I've been taking the Marshall-Collins talk as more of a compliment to Marshall and not at all as a put down to Collins, since comparing Marshall's skills to the SEC Freshman RB of the year would seem to me to be a compliment.

Porkrinds, what has Collins done that makes you think people are being critical of him because I really don't see it?  I don't understand posters like you that bring up negative things about our players but then try to assign the negativity to other posters to avoid responsibility.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PygmalionEffect

P.S.  Kudos on the recap Tim, enjoyed it.

bennyl08

Good recap.

My main questions are: So, JWill now up to 225? So, he is up to the same weight he was last spring and last fall? Good to know he hasn't lost weight...

Flowers is at 283? So he has gained 15 pounds since spring camp started?

Sprinkle is up to 235? Lost two pounds since spring and gained a net 5 pounds since last July?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

trashcan maN

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 01, 2014, 12:59:39 pm
Good recap.

My main questions are: So, JWill now up to 225? So, he is up to the same weight he was last spring and last fall? Good to know he hasn't lost weight...

Sprinkle is up to 235? Lost two pounds since spring and gained a net 5 pounds since last July?
I'm sure the coaches keep an accurate record of player measurements to track gains, and I'm guessing you pulled your information off the internet. If the coach says they're 'up to X lbs.', it means they've made gains. We all know the measurements reported on the official roster are often exaggerated.

bennyl08

April 01, 2014, 01:13:07 pm #72 Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:28:21 pm by bennyl08
Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 01:08:01 pm
I'm sure the coaches keep an accurate record of player measurements to track gains. I'm sure you pulled your information off the internet somewhere. If the coach says they're 'up to', it means they've made gains.

I'm going off the official weights provided by the university. It is silly to think that one's mass isn't dynamic and constantly changing. I just remember all the hype with JWill up to 225 last spring, and it confuses the heck out of me that it is being hyped up again to be 225. Why not come out and say that players lose weight over the course of the season and he is back to where he was a year ago? And it wasn't just the roster saying he was up to that weight. Bielema was saying it himself.

With Flowers, the spring weights came out just a few weeks ago. 15 pounds is a lot, and it isn't like they stand to gain much by artificially downsizing the sizes of our players. If it was w/in 7 pounds or so, i wouldn't think much of it, but that is a huge discrepancy.

Sprinkle was listed 231 last spring, 230 last fall, and 237 this spring, FWIW.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DeltaBoy

Collins seems to lack that Burst that DMAC or Fleix had.  Several of his Highlight runs would have been TD's with Dmac or Fleix
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Steef

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2014, 01:14:28 pm
Collins seems to lack that Burst that DMAC or Fleix had.  Several of his Highlight runs would have been TD's with Dmac or Fleix

There are a lot of great RBS in history that still qualify as "not as great as DMAC".

AC didn't show us a top gear last year. But he reached his top speed in the second step. Which meant he COULD be caught from behind...but often MUST be caught from behind.

Unless the defense is stacking the line, that's gonna be a bunch of first downs.

I'll take it.

trashcan maN

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2014, 01:14:28 pm
Definitely doesn't have the top end of either of those guys, but I'd argue that he has better vision between the tackles than DMac ever had, and that's saying something considering DMac is a top 3 BCS era RB.

hogwild210

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 01, 2014, 01:13:07 pm
I'm going off the official weights provided by the university. It is silly to think that one's mass is dynamic and constantly changing.

That isn't silly at all. It IS dynamic and IS constantly changing, especially with athletes, due to a number of factors.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 01, 2014, 12:52:57 pm
I've been taking the Marshall-Collins talk as more of a compliment to Marshall and not at all as a put down to Collins, since comparing Marshall's skills to the SEC Freshman RB of the year would seem to me to be a compliment.

Porkrinds, what has Collins done that makes you think people are being critical of him because I really don't see it?  I don't understand posters like you that bring up negative things about our players but then try to assign the negativity to other posters to avoid responsibility.

So me defending Collins is now being negative towards him?  Get real.  We've had multiple threads about him supposedly being in trouble, in the dog house, suspended, being taught a lesson, etc.  We had an ENTIRE THREAD of lots of folks claiming Marshall was better than Collins.  I was replying to a poster that said Collins was the third best back on the team, and would likely transfer.  Have you been under a rock and missed all this talk?  My point, which you evidently missed, was that Collins is an amazing RB, and will likely be a HUGE part of our success for the next couple of years at least.  But some how you took that as a back handed, underhanded swipe at him?  Come on dude, stop looking for something to be butt hurt about. 

DeltaBoy

I hope that Marshall and Collins become part of a 3 headed Hydra in the Backfield that makes DC eat Tums by the Bottle and they got Pepto on IV.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2014, 01:52:10 pm
I hope that Marshall and Collins become part of a 3 headed Hydra in the Backfield that makes DC eat Tums by the Bottle and they got Pepto on IV.

This x 1000!

Been10Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 01, 2014, 08:03:58 am
After all the good that he did last season, it's hard to forget that play where the MSU player, safety I think it was, just literally pulled the ball out of AC's arms when we were on the verge of punching it in. 

In fairness, other than that, no other fumbles stand out, although I do think he had a few. 

I think this has more to do with work ethic.  BB subtly brought that up a few times last season, in particular referencing how good he COULD be if he adheres to the program they have for him.

I'm not worried.  I think it's nothing more than BB's way to make sure he keeps improving.  AC seems to embrace Arkansas, and I bet he does just fine this season.   
Don't forget the fumble AC made after a long breakaway run that he fumbled at the one out of the endzone for a touchback. I can't remember opponent, but it was at DWRRS and could have been a game changer had we scored and not turned it over!

ricepig

Quote from: Been10Hog on April 01, 2014, 01:56:31 pm
Don't forget the fumble AC made after a long breakaway run that he fumbled at the one out of the endzone for a touchback. I can't remember opponent, but it was at DWRRS and could have been a game changer had we scored and not turned it over!

It was against USCe, it wouldn't have been a game changer, we were already toast that day.

code red

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 07:08:32 am
Man I hope JWill breaks out this year a la Montee Ball.

Also, I'll be the first to admit I'm biting on the BA talk hook, line and sinker. Only five more months...
I like the kid and hope he makes it.  That said...he has got to improve in pressure spots to keep his job.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Been10Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2014, 01:58:11 pm
It was against USCe, it wouldn't have been a game changer, we were already toast that day.
Nevertheless, can't think of a bigger momentum buzzkill unless it was an int for TD! Wait....we gave up a few of those too! Next year will be much better IMOP!

Legball13

Why is it so hard for some of ya to realize that sometime a player stays the same and another player get better? It happens all the time. All of a sudden a player comes on,get better and while the one ahead of him was good, doesnt get any better. I dont know what is going on but is it possible that KM has gotten better and better and AC hasnt improved? Its called reaching your potential . You need to remember Korliss didnt start playing at RB until the last half of the season.. Maybe AC was a whole lot better but now with weight training and increased reps KM as overtook him..
Its called competition and competition is a great thing.

lumphog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 10:35:26 am
He's not dumb, he's likely just trying to ruffle feathers.
NOPE!!! He's a dummy

razorback44

I'm going off the official weights provided by the university. It is silly to think that one's mass is dynamic and constantly changing.

The "official" numbers are often times inflated.  Hence the reason that kids seem to always lose height and weight and run slower 40 times at the combine. 

Also, you don't actually believe that a player is the exact same weight through an entire season do you?
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

ricepig

Quote from: Legball13 on April 01, 2014, 02:11:33 pm
Why is it so hard for some of ya to realize that sometime a player stays the same and another player get better? It happens all the time. All of a sudden a player comes on,get better and while the one ahead of him was good, doesnt get any better. I dont know what is going on but is it possible that KM has gotten better and better and AC hasnt improved? Its called reaching your potential . You need to remember Korliss didnt start playing at RB until the last half of the season.. Maybe AC was a whole lot better but now with weight training and increased reps KM as overtook him..
Its called competition and competition is a great thing.

Not a thing wrong with competition, it will only make all involved better.

OnTheHillHogFan

I'm going off the official weights provided by the university. It is silly to think that one's mass is dynamic and constantly changing. I just remember all the hype with JWill up to 225 last spring, and it confuses the heck out of me that it is being hyped up again to be 225. Why not come out and say that players lose weight over the course of the season and he is back to where he was a year ago? And it wasn't just the roster saying he was up to that weight. Bielema was saying it himself.

With Flowers, the spring weights came out just a few weeks ago. 15 pounds is a lot, and it isn't like they stand to gain much by artificially downsizing the sizes of our players. If it was w/in 7 pounds or so, i wouldn't think much of it, but that is a huge discrepancy.

Sprinkle was listed 231 last spring, 230 last fall, and 237 this spring, FWIW.
Those "official weights" are usually old. I don't understand why anyone would think the weights listed by a school on a depth chart or online are right. For example in Flowers sophomore year he was listed at around 245 when he said in fall camp he was round 260-265.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Tim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 01, 2014, 12:32:00 pm

Huge improvement compared to Petrino as far as that part is concerned.  He had the crowd in to the entire night.  I cam away very impressed with him.

Tim Harris

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 01, 2014, 12:59:39 pm
Good recap.

One thing Bielema did say was that JWill had put on weight but looked trimmer when you saw him.  He raved about him multiple times last night.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 02:42:29 pm
Huge improvement compared to Petrino as far as that part is concerned.  He had the crowd in to the entire night.  I cam away very impressed with him.

He didn't curse, did he??

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2014, 02:46:18 pm
He didn't curse, did he??

Who Petrino or Bielema?

Bielema said damn and ass

Petrino was somewhere between watching paint dry and grass grow.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 02:51:30 pm
Who Petrino or Bielema?

If a man can't use those two words, what can he say?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 06:57:57 am

Said that Sprinkle is up to around 235 and has really stepped up at TE.

Had no doubts.... As I said last year his dad could have been another Michael Irvin if White Hall had thrown more than 2 passes a game...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 02:51:30 pm
Who Petrino or Bielema?

Don't you remember those cringing for words he used in Benton, haha.

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine on April 01, 2014, 03:02:37 pm
Had no doubts.... As I said last year his dad could have been another Michael Irvin if White Hall had thrown more than 2 passes a game...

I noticed RD said little brother was hitting 92 on the radar gun? Doesn't sound like he'll follow big brother in football.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on April 01, 2014, 03:05:01 pm
I noticed RD said little brother was hitting 92 on the radar gun? Doesn't sound like he'll follow big brother in football.

Nope.  My nephew uses the same pitching coach as the younger Sprinkle, and his plan is to go pro in baseball.  And he will likely be drafted, because he's unbelievable.  He has an arm like I've never seen and I've played and coached baseball for 20+ years.  I coached Tyler Wilson in baseball (he would have likely had a good pro baseball career if he had not chosen football), and this kid blows Tyler's pitching arm out of the water. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 01, 2014, 07:52:44 am
I hope so.  The kid is a stud RB.  We need him to be in the mix.

Fur shuuurrrrr....!   +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogwild210 on April 01, 2014, 01:26:55 pm
That isn't silly at all. It IS dynamic and IS constantly changing, especially with athletes, due to a number of factors.

Oops. There was supposed to be a negative in that sentence. I.e. obviously weights are dynamic and constantly changing.