Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema @ Harrison Area Razorback Club Recap

Started by Tim Harris, April 01, 2014, 06:57:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 02:29:56 pm
Those "official weights" are usually old. I don't understand why anyone would think the weights listed by a school on a depth chart or online are right. For example in Flowers sophomore year he was listed at around 245 when he said in fall camp he was round 260-265.

Quote from: razorback44 on April 01, 2014, 02:23:34 pm
The "official" numbers are often times inflated.  Hence the reason that kids seem to always lose height and weight and run slower 40 times at the combine. 

Also, you don't actually believe that a player is the exact same weight through an entire season do you?

I know the fall camp weights are usually measured in late July or so, but aren't updated. It is silly to expect somebody's weight to be the same in November as it was in July.

I would imagine there is a similar gap for spring practices. While the actual weights were posted the first day of practice, I imagine that they may have actually been taken earlier than that.

However, when it comes to inflation, how on earth did Flowers gain 15 pounds b/w the listed weight for spring and after spring break? It would be tough to gain that much weight drinking 12 beers a day and sitting on the couch all day, even if those weights were taken in Feb.

I believe Sprinkle has truly added good weight. He probably has lost fat, as well as added muscle. I do not believe for a second that Flowers is at 283. As for JWill, it wasn't just miscommunication that he was at 225 last year. That was one of the top stories of last spring and fall camp.

It makes a lot of sense that a player would lose weight over the course of a season. From what I hear, the player mostly work out in an attempt to retain mass, but the increased running and such, they end up slowly losing weight. Why not just come out and say that? Otherwise, you simply repeatedly lied last year about his weight improvements and such, so why should someone believe you this year?

Finally, schools do often "modify" the weights to be in the best interest. Usually that means overstating the weights, but for an OL, it could mean lowering the weight. However, players often will lose weight for the combine to better perform in the drills. When you merge the idea that the last time the player was "officially" weighed was in July, with the idea of losing weight to be more athletic for the combine, it should be expected that they weigh less.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 01, 2014, 12:32:00 pm
If y'all want to talk AC go do that elsewhere. You are ruining a good thread on the Harrison Area RC club meeting.

A question to that end: does CBB do a good job on the meet/greet circuit? Seems to.

I spoke with a great guy today that is a uniform/equipment supplier and he said that he had met Bielema and spent some time with him and that he is very genuine. How you see him act at events like this in Harrison is apparently just how he is up close and personal when away from fans. Not my impression, but his.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: locusbug on April 01, 2014, 09:58:49 am
That is bad as it plays right into the stereotype of a Southerner. Of course when I was going to school in NWA the really over the top racists seemed to be transplanted northerners. Either way that sign is either a marketing campaign gone wrong or racists are taking over.

It is Harrison. Racism never slowed down there.
[CENSORED]!

Tim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 01, 2014, 06:14:42 pm

Don't lay that blame on the entire town. Not all of us are that way.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 01, 2014, 04:07:38 pm
I know the fall camp weights are usually measured in late July or so, but aren't updated. It is silly to expect somebody's weight to be the same in November as it was in July.

I would imagine there is a similar gap for spring practices. While the actual weights were posted the first day of practice, I imagine that they may have actually been taken earlier than that.

However, when it comes to inflation, how on earth did Flowers gain 15 pounds b/w the listed weight for spring and after spring break? It would be tough to gain that much weight drinking 12 beers a day and sitting on the couch all day, even if those weights were taken in Feb.

I believe Sprinkle has truly added good weight. He probably has lost fat, as well as added muscle. I do not believe for a second that Flowers is at 283. As for JWill, it wasn't just miscommunication that he was at 225 last year. That was one of the top stories of last spring and fall camp.
The weight listed for Flowers before spring was his weight last season as he played at around 270. Also I believe that Flowers is 280+. They guy is massive and has definitely gotten bigger from last fall. Noticeable difference IMO.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bennyl08

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 01, 2014, 07:11:56 pm
The weight listed for Flowers before spring was his weight last season as he played at around 270. Also I believe that Flowers is 280+. They guy is massive and has definitely gotten bigger from last fall. Noticeable difference IMO.

The weight listed for spring would be the weight measured shortly before spring, unless he was unable to be there for that. In which case, his weight is still different from last fall, so when did they weigh him?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 06:56:53 pm

As a matter of fact, it is a very small few...

PRJ

PorkRinds

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 01, 2014, 07:24:09 pm
As a matter of fact, it is a very small few...

PRJ

Small and unfortunately very vocal it seems. I hate that such a small portion of people end up giving the entire area a bad name.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 07:27:23 pm
Small and unfortunately very vocal it seems. I hate that such a small portion of people end up giving the entire area a bad name.

And the funny thing about it is...these yokels reside in Zinc, Arkansas...just a Harrison mailing address.....the clown Tom Robb and his daughter, who looks like a full grey tick....just a shame some in the national media has bought in to this nonsense.

I ride thru Alabama and see more racism in one day than I have ever seen in Harrison in give or take, 45 years.

PRJ

rong1944

My thoughts concerning "lessons" CBB might be trying to teach Alex have been alluded to in CBB's comments in times past. He once said he would swear Alex is "nocturnal" because of his strange sleeping habits, which might in turn explain his being late (maybe to 5:00 am workouts)?? He also mentioned eating habits that could have the training staff up in arms because nutrition is such a big part of conditioning. CBB is always quick to say what a great young man he is, but they want him to understand that if he buys into everything, he will become the best he can be! Additionally, you can't have one set of rules for Alex and another for the rest of the team. Just my opinion.

GTOWNHOG

???   ******* It's BIELEMA***********  BRET BIELEMA**********   ???
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

bennyl08

Haha. Throw in a second "l" and a clever photoshop and you could make it biellama.

Tim Harris

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on April 01, 2014, 08:18:48 pm
   ???   ******* It's BIELEMA***********  BRET BIELEMA**********   ???

Wow how did I screw that one up.  I'm usually very cautious or if I'm being lazy I go with Coach B.  I am surprised it made it 3 pages before someone called it out.

kingofdequeen

if it's a very small few, you all need to reach down and find your nuts and run those ####sticks out of town.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 09:20:23 pm
if it's a very small few, you all need to reach down and find your nuts and run those ####sticks out of town.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 01, 2014, 09:18:22 pm
Wow how did I screw that one up.  I'm usually very cautious or if I'm being lazy I go with Coach B.  I am surprised it made it 3 pages before someone called it out.

Tim, I really enjoyed your write up on the meeting in Harrison.  I am on the Memphis East Arkansas Razorback Club BOD and we have Mike Anderson coming to our spring banquet on April 17th.  It is proving to be a challenging ticket sale compared to Coach Bielema last year.   :razorback:
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

secneahog

Quote from: jabohog on April 01, 2014, 12:16:49 pm
If he didn't fumble.

I clearly remember jwill fumbling on our 30 or 40 yard line vs Samford and they used that momentum went right down and scored.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 01, 2014, 01:45:36 pm
So me defending Collins is now being negative towards him?  Get real.  We've had multiple threads about him supposedly being in trouble, in the dog house, suspended, being taught a lesson, etc.  We had an ENTIRE THREAD of lots of folks claiming Marshall was better than Collins.  I was replying to a poster that said Collins was the third best back on the team, and would likely transfer.  Have you been under a rock and missed all this talk?  My point, which you evidently missed, was that Collins is an amazing RB, and will likely be a HUGE part of our success for the next couple of years at least.  But some how you took that as a back handed, underhanded swipe at him?  Come on dude, stop looking for something to be butt hurt about.

So you're saying you don't enjoy being misrepresented or misquoted.  Fair enough, I agree that I was guilty of it.

How did that make you feel?

Frustrated.... victimized....  like no one is really listening to what you're saying?

Well take that feeling and multiply it by 10 when you take a ridiculously negative quote from Razorsomethingorother09, the biggest troll on here, and use it as a generalization of all the posters that have simply made comments along the lines that Marshall might be able to compete for playing time this year.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on April 01, 2014, 01:20:35 pm
Definitely doesn't have the top end of either of those guys, but I'd argue that he has better vision between the tackles than DMac ever had, and that's saying something considering DMac is a top 3 BCS era RB.

Watching AC run is strange.  He rarely turns his head...at all.  I think that's an advantage for him through the hole, because his peripheral vision allows him to see both sides and what's ahead.  It probably explains why he has good instincts and seems to make LB's miss pretty often.

But...I also think that costs him yards down field when he gets toward the sideline, because he's not looking away from the sideline toward the field of play to be able to time a stiff arm on that last tackler, or to make that last move to free him for a longer run or a TD. 

Seriously...I know that sounds nit picky, but watch him run.  His head NEVER turns. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PygmalionEffect

I've noticed that as well.  He gets pushed out of bounds on a lot of runs that he breaks into the secondary.  Maybe this year he'll learn to turn it back inside more often and fight for extra yards with the idea that he might get that last guy to make a mistake.

I think it's also a case of him adjusting to the game and realizing that he can't out run these SEC safeties like he could high school safeties.

I see them all getting better this year, but we would be extremely lucky to get through a second year without any RB injuries.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

secneahog

The guy was playing high school football then playing in the toughest schedule in the toughest conference.

I wouldn't be turning my head either....
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: secneahog on April 02, 2014, 12:45:12 am
The guy was playing high school football then playing in the toughest schedule in the toughest conference.

I wouldn't be turning my head either....

I was pointing it out as a positive, and it's probably what makes his vision and patience so good.  Walter Payton is the first person that comes to mind who rarely turned his head until late in his runs.  I do think he could start looking once he breaks into open field, and that might help him locate the pursuit and make that last guy miss. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 01, 2014, 09:20:23 pm

Like PRJ said, Thomas Robb, ho's most responsible for the image in most recent years, doesn't even actually live in Harrison. Robb lives in Zinc, but Zinc residences have a Harrison address. This is a pretty good read, http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/harrison-fights-racist-reputation/Content?oid=2367954&storyPage=3.

The Hogfather

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:22:54 am
I was pointing it out as a positive, and it's probably what makes his vision and patience so good.  Walter Payton is the first person that comes to mind who rarely turned his head until late in his runs.  I do think he could start looking once he breaks into open field, and that might help him locate the pursuit and make that last guy miss. 

I do agree with this.  People act like he's slow and like he's incapable of hitting really big runs.  I'm with you on this in regards to making that one last defender miss.  I saw him get caught by that one last defender so many times last season and it wasn't because he was too slow.  The RBs who can hit those really big runs usually have a knack for making that one last defender miss, either by lifting their legs a little more, stiff arming that defender, making that one last cut right in the nick of time, etc.

Inhogswetrust

Neither is everyone in Memphis but it has earned a reputation just like Harrison unfortunately for both.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: fortsmithokie on April 02, 2014, 07:57:29 am
Like PRJ said, Thomas Robb, ho's most responsible for the image in most recent years, doesn't even actually live in Harrison. Robb lives in Zinc, but Zinc residences have a Harrison address. This is a pretty good read, http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/harrison-fights-racist-reputation/Content?oid=2367954&storyPage=3.

Doesn't matter I live in Bartlett but have an Arlington address. Zip codes do not match city boundaries.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 02, 2014, 12:17:31 am
So you're saying you don't enjoy being misrepresented or misquoted.  Fair enough, I agree that I was guilty of it.

How did that make you feel?

Frustrated.... victimized....  like no one is really listening to what you're saying?

Well take that feeling and multiply it by 10 when you take a ridiculously negative quote from Razorsomethingorother09, the biggest troll on here, and use it as a generalization of all the posters that have simply made comments along the lines that Marshall might be able to compete for playing time this year.

Holy crap.  No, I don't feel victimized by someone posting on hogville.  And no, I wasn't generalizing everyone who thinks Marshall may compete for playing time, because I think he will too.  This whole exchange is rather confusing.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: fortsmithokie on April 02, 2014, 07:57:29 am

don't act like harrison folks don't have it in them to run someone out of town.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2014, 07:59:20 am
Doesn't matter I live in Bartlett but have an Arlington address. Zip codes do not match city boundaries.

I had just typed up my opinion of Memphis, and then decided that if I couldn't say anything nice, I should just not say anything at all.  Bartlett and Germantown are nice places.  That's adhering to momma's advice, and saying something nice. 

fortsmithokie

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 08:10:43 am
don't act like harrison folks don't have it in them to run someone out of town.

Robb, the primary instigator in recent years, doesn't live in town. He lives 10 miles away.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 07:02:50 am
Dont like the lack of talking about Collins.

Sending him a message.  Either he gets it or he's gone.  It's up to the kid, now...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: fortsmithokie on April 02, 2014, 08:21:24 am
Robb, the primary instigator in recent years, doesn't live in town. He lives 10 miles away.

Like KOD said...Harrison has been known to run people out of town.   :P

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 08:13:23 am
I had just typed up my opinion of Memphis, and then decided that if I couldn't say anything nice, I should just not say anything at all.  Bartlett and Germantown are nice places.  That's adhering to momma's advice, and saying something nice. 

Your Momma sounds like a wise lady. My problem is I didn't always take my Momma's advice.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 08:30:58 am
Like KOD said...Harrison has been known to run people out of town.   :P

Smalls, not flaming you but tell me when? In 1909? Tbere are people of different races walking in Harrison every day. They arent being harrassed or run out of town. This is a horrible myth that is kept going by a few zealots who live in Zinc, Arrkansas. That coupled by some politicians who decided it was good to promote this fallacy with the media and take on the evil Kluckers....and all tbat is is a Chicago political machinist playing Chicago politics. In Harrison, Arkansas, of all places.

Harrison isnt no Vidor, Tx.

PRJ

kingofdequeen

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 02, 2014, 09:24:58 am
Smalls, not flaming you but tell me when? In 1909? Tbere are people of different races walking in Harrison every day. They arent being harrassed or run out of town. This is a horrible myth that is kept going by a few zealots who live in Zinc, Arrkansas. That coupled by some politicians who decided it was good to promote this fallacy with the media and take on the evil Kluckers....and all tbat is is a Chicago political machinist playing Chicago politics. In Harrison, Arkansas, of all places.

PRJ

in all fairness, Bull Freaking Crap.

their money's still good in harrison.  that's ya'll's fault.

urkillnmesmalls

PRJ

Whoa, whoa, whoa....it was a JOKE.  I was suggesting that his Robb character was run out of Harrison to Zinc.  I have no idea if that is even true or not...I was KIDDING.  Apparently, it was not only not funny, but also not very clear.   ;D 

I couldn't tell you if Harrison even has an active chapter of the KKK any longer or not.  I remember the last special I saw about it on TV, it seemed like one desperate dude who claimed to have followers, but I can't even remember his name.  It seemed to me like it was one dude looking for 15 minutes of fame, and was desperate for attention. 

I want to clarify...I have NO IDEA of the racism or lack thereof in Harrison.  That north central corridor of Arkansas has long been rumored to have some KKK activity, and I'm sure a lot of that stems from nothing more than there not being a lot of blacks living there for whatever reason. 

ChitownHawg

PRJ

You have to be careful of those people from Chicago!  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

I'm just glad to see JWill get some much needed recognition.
He was probably the most underappreciated player last year by the fans.
I love Collins - he has that personality and smile that draws the fans and media.
But on the football field we have 2 very, very good backs.
Marshall may be as good as either, but haven't seen enough of him at that position to know.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Harrison just has a bad reputation.
We used to take a girls softball team up there for tournaments. We did a lot of traveling and Harrison was the only place the black team members were actually afraid to go to. I always had to promise their parents I wouldn't let them out of my sight. We never had a problem anywhere we went - restaurants and hotels folks were just normal.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2014, 11:30:36 am
We used to take a girls softball team up there for tournaments. We did a lot of traveling and Harrison was the only place the black team members were actually afraid to go to. I always had to promise their parents I wouldn't let them out of my sight. We never had a problem anywhere we went - restaurants and hotels folks were just normal.

i would imagine that most residents wish the whole stigma would go away.  those billboards don't help, tho.

PorkRinds

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 11:50:30 am
i would imagine that most residents wish the whole stigma would go away.  those billboards don't help, tho.

A group of residents should "decorate" the billboard with paintball guns and spray paint. 

wupigsuey

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 01, 2014, 06:14:42 pm

I've lived in Harrison and in Fayetteville. They're both about the same as far as racism goes. They're about like everywhere else in that regard as well.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 02, 2014, 11:53:53 am
A group of residents should "decorate" the billboard with paintball guns and spray paint. 

someone did.  they took him to court.  he had to pay a fine.

the owner of the board wont release the name of the entity leasing it.  apparently he prefers the cash and perpetuating the stigma.

hoglady

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 11:50:30 am

Nope they sure don't.

PorkRinds

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 02, 2014, 11:58:00 am
someone did.  they took him to court.  he had to pay a fine.

the owner of the board wont release the name of the entity leasing it.  apparently he prefers the cash and perpetuating the stigma.

Someone with some more dough should offer to pay more for the sign and put up an "all races are welcome here" sign. 

pillowhog

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2014, 11:30:36 am
Wait a minute some blacks were actually playing travel softball?  Baseball and softball have turned into white only sports because of travel ball

hoglady

Quote from: pillowhog on April 02, 2014, 12:12:54 pm
Wait a minute some blacks were actually playing travel softball?  Baseball and softball have turned into white only sports because of travel ball

Well, my daughter's team was racially mixed and we traveled all over the South and as far North as Ohio. It wasn't financially easy for any of the parents. We got sponsors, made items that we sold at the ballparks, held raffles, Sonic would let your team work for the day - mothers filled orders, girls delivered and team kept the tips. We always found a way to make it work.

pillowhog

Cant remember the last black Razorback baseball player its been so long.  Not sure about softball

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on April 02, 2014, 12:46:55 pm
Well, my daughter's team was racially mixed and we traveled all over the South and as far North as Ohio. It wasn't financially easy for any of the parents. We got sponsors, made items that we sold at the ballparks, held raffles, Sonic would let your team work for the day - mothers filled orders, girls delivered and team kept the tips. We always found a way to make it work.

It's all relative, my son's football team had kids that were scared to go to Mt. Home, I just laughed. The cheer sponsor at Hall told me her kids were scared coming to Jonesboro, I asked why, their starting 5 and ours looked exactly alike.

pillowhog

Parents fill their kids heads with crap both black and white