Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you are the coach, what do you do?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, March 31, 2014, 01:22:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

10 seconds on the clock, you are up by 3, they are in the bonus but NOT double-bonus

Don't foul, make them make a 3 to tie it
Foul them on the floor, put them on the line for 1 and 1

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I couldn't find any 2nd half foul stats, so I'm going to assume Michigan was not in the double-bonus.  Not sure if I would do it in the double-bonus.

I've always wondered why more coaches don't foul with this scenario.

If you put them on the line, they can't score 3.  Worst case scenario, they tie it by making the first shot, then a put-back if they miss the second. 

More things have to go right for them if you put them on the line, than if you let them shoot a three.  A lot more things could go wrong:

1.  They could make the 3
2.  They could make the 3 AND get fouled and win with a 4-point play.
3.  They could miss but get fouled and awarded 3 free throws.
4.  They are more likely to get the rebound from an attempted 3 and be able to attempt another 3 because of the long bounce.  Much easier to secure the rebound off of a free throw attempt.

JMO

Thoughts?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LJHOG

Depending on the time I play defense until under 5 seconds and then either steal the ball or foul them in the attempt.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: LJHOG on March 31, 2014, 01:24:07 am
Depending on the time I play defense until under 5 seconds and then either steal the ball or foul them in the attempt.

Right, and that's also a factor.  They only had 2.6 seconds left and the ball under their basket, so I probably wouldn't foul.  However, if there is more than 5 seconds or they have the ball at mid-court, I'm going to foul.

I'd much rather have control back and simply have to rebound than to let them determine the outcome with a 3 - which in college is not that difficult of a shot.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HawgnCorona

I would make them shoot the shot under pressure...not giving the shooter a good look open look at the basket.

A low % shot anyway and with a man in your face makes it even more difficulty.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8