Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quote from Jimmy Dykes Presser

Started by HogWildBison2011, March 30, 2014, 07:37:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogWildBison2011

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas"

I feel like this should be used in recruiting for every sport. This message should be heard all over the state. Just felt like sharing! WPS

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

sickboy

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Just got the news.. He is a superb hire for the women's program.. Go Hogs..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SemperFi

Wise words. Hopefully, they'll stick.

When I was a kid growing up in Northern Arkansas you never considered allegiance to any team besides the Razorbacks.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgfan4life

Greatest thing to happen for college basketball announcing in decades.  Means I don't have to listen to him doing games anymore.  I hope he does well as the coach but I don't see how this is a quality hire.  It is one thing to be an expert on the TV with all kinds of time to discuss something that happened moments ago and add your own thoughts and commentary and it is another to make instant decisions and plan ahead in a game as a coach.  Not sure his Shiloh Christian experience qualifies for the jump to the SEC.

yraciv

Time to get on it. Mission number one, get Riley Rose to flip. PG from Harding that is ranked 28th and currently committed to Missouri State.

hawgfan4life

Before some of you waste time telling me about all of his various coaching positions and several schools, I know about them and was just being a jerk.  I don't care for him because of a few events that occurred when he was at Shiloh Christian.  I also literally want to throw something at my TV every time I hear him commentary a game.  That was probably influenced by my bias against him.  Regardless, good for him, I hope he is successful, but I won't be a fan of him.

Bkhardicars

I like Dykes.He's good people.His Dad bought some furniture from my store and I can see where he gets his class from..I am wary as I don't know anything about his coaching ability and I wonder if his ESPN star quality will have an impact in recruiting women's ball as he  is more well known among men's basketball.He does know his X's and O's no doubt. I wish him the best.I can't believe he's giving up that plum job with ESPN to hit the grind of recruiting and coaching in the SEC.SPEAKS Well of his passion and belief in himself..I guess that's half the battle.

poloprince

I'm surprised he didn't toot Calipari's horn some more during his presser like he does when he commentates Kentucky game. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

imtad16

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 30, 2014, 07:37:53 pm

I feel like this should be used in recruiting for every sport. This message should be heard all over the state. Just felt like sharing! WPS

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

That is a fantastic line.

This line should be tweeted out. Fan intiated twitter campaign. Lets make it trend!

The_Iceman

Jimmy might have been the hire that gives us the best chance at keeping our in-state talent here. I envision him being a tremendous recruiter here.

Let's hope he surrounds himself with quality assistants to help him in the areas he weaker at.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I think Jimmy can do a few things to really boost recruiting and overall support of the program (and they are all tied together):

1) Promotion of the game.  This is something Gary Blair did very well.  JD does not lack for enthusiasm.

2) Fan attendance.  Now, for the women's game, we're talking about going from 1200 to 2400.  But that's something, and that should help draw more players.  I think at it's peak, women's basketball at Arkansas would draw 5-7K per game.  That seems an attainable goal.  Gotta win...

3) Game atmosphere.  This is where the JD hire can benefit other programs.  He's been to every major college basketball arena in the country.  BWA needs some help- in both design and in-game coordination.  Who could be a better consultant?  A better game atmosphere helps improve recruiting in all sports.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 30, 2014, 09:31:24 pm
Greatest thing to happen for college basketball announcing in decades.  Means I don't have to listen to him doing games anymore.  I hope he does well as the coach

Exactly how I feel.  Good luck to him but I'm glad I don't have to listen to his endless chatter.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

SnoopHoggyHog

Razorhawg09

It's women's basketball. Does it really matter who the coach is? You people don't even attend football games much less ladies b-ball.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 31, 2014, 11:42:32 am
It's women's basketball. Does it really matter who the coach is?

No.  It's good fodder for a Monday, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Fan1958

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 30, 2014, 09:35:25 pm
Before some of you waste time telling me about all of his various coaching positions and several schools, I know about them and was just being a jerk.  I don't care for him because of a few events that occurred when he was at Shiloh Christian.  I also literally want to throw something at my TV every time I hear him commentary a game.  That was probably influenced by my bias against him.  Regardless, good for him, I hope he is successful, but I won't be a fan of him.

Big of you to admit what you are because you definitely are.  Based on your smite count (higher than your number of posts) looks like few are a fan of you.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 30, 2014, 09:35:25 pm

+1 for honesty... I liked his play by play and his color commentary, because you could tell he was a homer on the pay per view broadcasts, and he was able to hide it on ESPN...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wildhog

Admittedly, I don't know a damn thing about women's basketball.  Didn't realize we had so many experts.  I need to catch up, apparently.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

stan the man

He can't be any worse than our last two coaches.

kingofdequeen

hawgfan4life

I really don't post that much, but when I do, I generally go against the grain.  Example would be I have took up for HDN many times.  I don't think he was a great coach, a great recruiter, and I think it was past time for him to go.  However, he was a good coach in a lot of areas and a decent recruiter.  On hogville, unless you hate him with a passion, you get smitted.  As for Dykes, he has few qualifications to justify him being hired as the Women's coach.  Hope it works out for him.  Personally, I have little respect for him.  I don't think he is a man of integrity like he portrays, I believe he is an opportunist, and I heard enough crticical comments about AR from him during commentary that I don't give him the benefits of being a former Razorback.  Smite me, ban me, do whatever, I don't care for him at all and will be very difficult to be won over.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 31, 2014, 10:34:23 pm
I really don't post that much, but when I do, I generally go against the grain.  Example would be I have took up for HDN many times.  I don't think he was a great coach, a great recruiter, and I think it was past time for him to go.  However, he was a good coach in a lot of areas and a decent recruiter.  On hogville, unless you hate him with a passion, you get smitted.  As for Dykes, he has few qualifications to justify him being hired as the Women's coach.  Hope it works out for him.  Personally, I have little respect for him.  I don't think he is a man of integrity like he portrays, I believe he is an opportunist, and I heard enough crticical comments about AR from him during commentary that I don't give him the benefits of being a former Razorback.  Smite me, ban me, do whatever, I don't care for him at all and will be very difficult to be won over.

So you want a butt kisser as a coach.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Bkhardicars on March 30, 2014, 09:43:58 pm
I don't know anything about his coaching ability

LOL  Don't feel bad.  Since he has never coached anywhere, no one knows anything about his coaching ability.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 09:52:32 am
Jimmy might have been the hire that gives us the best chance at keeping our in-state talent here. I envision him being a tremendous recruiter here.

Let's hope he surrounds himself with quality assistants to help him in the areas he weaker at.
This is a home run for Lady Backs. Looking forward to seeing which asst coaches come/stay.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on April 01, 2014, 06:21:51 am
LOL  Don't feel bad.  Since he has never coached anywhere, no one knows anything about his coaching ability.

Except the University of Arkansas, Appalachian State University, University of Kentucky, Arkansas State University, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and Oklahoma State University. He's only coached there, but I guess you could call that never coaching anywhere if you wanted to.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on March 30, 2014, 07:37:53 pm

That is a great quote. And yes, Bielema and Anderson need to get that message across when we have top talent that's being romanced by other SEC programs...(Alabama and Kentucky respectively.)

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 31, 2014, 11:42:32 am
It's women's basketball. Does it really matter who the coach is? You people don't even attend football games much less ladies b-ball.

Another "I'm better than you" post from 09. Who woulda thunk it

pondwater jack

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on March 30, 2014, 07:38:51 pm
Well put. I like Dykes...
I like Dykes to.  I could watch Dykes all day.  Mixing it up on tv.  I've got video of Dykes that I didn't like at first but eventually I realized that I was a Dykes man all the way. 

J. holly
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

pondwater jack

How old were you the first ime you saw Dykes on tv?
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.