Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idea for the backside of the "Pig Screen" at DWRRS (picture)

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 30, 2014, 11:14:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

About a year ago, I posted an idea for putting a large hog with red back-lighting on the back of the huge video board on the north end of the stadium:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=535337.msg8130899#msg8130899

(side comment - the pic of Collins referenced in that thread apparently has been removed)

In today's press release on the Dykes hire, I noticed a picture containing a smaller version of just what I was talking about.  I assume that this pic was taken in the Bev Lewis Center, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Anyway, wouldn't a 20-30 foot version of this look FANTASTIC on the back side of the Pig Screen?  There's no need to have any lettering around it - the Hog says it all.  It should be left "on" all year round, as a beacon to the Hog Nation.

Pickwick Hog

Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

3kgthog

I've always thought something similar should've been on the back of the batter's eye at Baum. They finally got a new sign, albeit just with reflective paint and zero lighting.

I'd welcome a huge one like that. It's awesome. Might even buy one of those on Etsy. Several guys make them.

ricepig

It's not a white hog on a red background, our fans wouldn't know who it was......

WizardofhOgZ

March 30, 2014, 12:27:49 pm #4 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:30:33 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 11:25:46 am
It's not a white hog on a red background, our fans wouldn't know who it was......

Your Jackass quotient grows daily.  You accused me in another thread of being juvenile, but it is cheap pot-shot posts like this from you that have me wondering if you are one suffering from some sort of early onset dementia.

I've never had a problem with a red hog on white, in general.  My comments about retaining the white hog on red - and you know this, but choose to be a jackass about it - have been exclusively restricted to our iconic football helmets.  That is the one place I think we need to leave things alone.  Otherwise - though I am honest and admit preferring traditional schemes (i.e., some form of red jerseys and white pants at home, white jerseys on the road), I have accepted and do not have a big problem with some "modernization" or the uniform otherwise.  For example, I was OK with the Adidas uni's Petrino's first 2 years, though I would have preffered they left off the "tusks" on the jersey.  Otherwise - they were fine.  And, although it took a few games for me to get used to them - I liked the Nike uni's we wore in 2010 and 2011.  I'm OK with the cardinal and white jerseys and pants from our latest Nike uniforms, but not really as fond of them as the prior two uni's we had.

I do not like black or anthracite (for US - OK for some other schools that have black as one of their school colors), but understand that some form of "black' alternates are the current trend in college sports and that almost all teams have them.  So long as they are limited to "once in a while", I'll bite my tongue and accept them.  I would have a problem if they became our regular uniform, but I don't expect that.  And, of course, I HATE the white helmets.  Hate them.

I even like red pants with white jerseys on the road, although many "traditionalists" do not.  So it's not as if I'm being totally inflexible and saying we should always wear the 1965 uniforms.  I have stated over and over that I simply want to preserve the helmet color scheme (understanding, of course, that technology will somewhat change the helmet itself, even if it retains the same color), and believe there is legitimate branding value to doing so.

Hogfaniam

Is the back of the track board facing the practice fields still barren?  If so, it could use something like that also.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

MrThunderhog

March 31, 2014, 12:53:56 am #7 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:14:10 am by MrThunderhog

not a bad idea
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

welchog

Porcius Magnus

I've never gotten the impression that the UA is very big into graphics, signage, themes, etc... Other schools would see the back of scoreboards or the empty brick facades on either side of the SEZ as a branding opportunity.  We seemingly don't.

The_Iceman

NICE! That would be sharp.

I think they should also turn the video board and ribbon boards on a night and just have them solid red to light up the stadium. I know they did that before with green, but doing that with red on a more consistent basis would be sweet!

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 01:26:18 pm
NICE! That would be sharp.

I think they should also turn the video board and ribbon boards on a night and just have them solid red to light up the stadium. I know they did that before with green, but doing that with red on a more consistent basis would be sweet!

It lights up with several different colors.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on March 31, 2014, 02:32:24 pm
It lights up with several different colors.

I know, I just think it would be sharp to have it red more often...especially the day before home games and when we have recruits in town. It'd be sweet for recrutis to drive by and see it looking like this:

WizardofhOgZ

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 02:50:21 pm
I know, I just think it would be sharp to have it red more often...especially the day before home games and when we have recruits in town. It'd be sweet for recrutis to drive by and see it looking like this:

I agree...it looks BA when the screen is red at night.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A night game on CBS or Espn with an aerial shot of a big lit up hog on the back of the score board would be the s&@!....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

ChemEHawg

Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

The_Iceman

HogFaninMemphis

Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

WizardofhOgZ

April 01, 2014, 12:31:49 pm #20 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:19:22 am by WizardofhOgZ
Quote from: The_Iceman on April 01, 2014, 08:50:07 am
Tweet this idea to Mike Waddell and/or Jeff Long.

I already swapped emails with Long about it last year (as per the older thread I linked in the OP).  When I saw this new pic (the one in the OP with JD), I replied to his earlier response and attached the picture to say "this is what I was talking about".

Haven't gotten a response yet.  That was over the weekend.  I'll share here if he does reply.

Cotton

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 02:50:21 pm

would be expensive to do that often.

How about after a victory? Home or away light DWR up red.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

FaytownHog

Just working off a couple small crappy pics online so the quality sucks, but here's an idea anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HighcountryHog

no bumps, no fat chicks

zxbeer

I made these a couple years ago. 4'x8' red lights in background

[attachment deleted by admin]
UA Class of 90

yraciv

Quote from: Cotton on April 01, 2014, 12:36:02 pm

Yeah my thoughts. I think day before a home game that would be cool or on big recruiting weekends. I'm not talking all the time, but maybe 10 more days a year. As of present, I know I have seen it lit up but have no idea their rationale for when and why they do it.

OnTheHillHogFan

The jumbotron is on quite a bit. I would say at least once a week in the fall not counting game days.

WizardofhOgZ

Kind of like Texas does with their tower:

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 04, 2014, 08:09:20 am

I think that is so they can see if someone is up there with a sniper rifle.....too soon?

PP

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 04, 2014, 08:32:44 am
I think that is so they can see if someone is up there with a sniper rifle.....too soon?

PP

You might want to explain why you said that for the young ones on here that wasn't here at the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChicoHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 04, 2014, 08:09:20 am

Is that the famous "Deadly Tower" featured in the Kurt Russell movie from the mid 70's?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 05, 2014, 03:27:17 pm
Is that the famous "Deadly Tower" featured in the Kurt Russell movie from the mid 70's?
one and the same

PP

bennyl08

I'm down. I know the new scoreboard is HD. Is it LED? If it is LED, then the cost would be a bit less. Like the idea of it being one the night before a home game and for recruiting weekends. Also, if we get more night games, some really cool things could be done. Turn the main lights off, and just have the scoreboard light up the stadium during some of the pre-game festivities. Security would be an issue, but that works during BB games and the large lights can take a while to turn on. Maybe have them on and warmed up, turn them off for the introduction and such, then would they turn on easily since they have already been warmed up?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Laughing Hog

I like the idea for the hog on the back of the scoreboard. Would like to have one like JD is standing next to in my man cave. Like the idea about the red lighting on recruiting weekends, night before the game and nights when we win, hm or rd.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 05, 2014, 05:18:15 pm
one and the same

PP

The first time I walked on their campus after that shooting happened I looked up to the tower in disbelief as to how tragic that was.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi