Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could frank broyles in his prime beat nick saban?

Started by Sweet Feet, March 30, 2014, 10:36:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 31, 2014, 08:14:33 pm
Sad as it is, I think Broyles results are more equivalent to Les Miles.  They both have a national title, but both often suffered from bad game decisions, are better when they have great assistants and usually lose to their biggest rival.  Now, if we want to pick a college coach from the past in their prime to beat Saban in his prime, I would say Bear Bryant.

Good post.

root_hawg

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

Quote from: sowmonella on March 31, 2014, 05:12:24 pm
You know that there wasn't 40 bowl games per year in those days.
Then just look at bowl win %
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

staffhog

Broyles would beat Saban because he was much more perceptive when it came to the coaches that would go to war with him.  These same coaches wanted to stay and learn until they left for the next level, not just to get away from a bad situation.  Saban has the talent but not the assistants.

Broyles and staff took the same situation we are in today and turned it into a winner.  In this comparison I am not comparing SEC/W to the SWC because since the 60s there has never been a more more potent conference, anywhere or anyway you want to dig it up.  With that understood, I will say as I have said before that the SWC of the 60s was on equal footing with the SEC, Big 10, Big 8 and Pac 10.

Broyles teams of the late 60s had the sports writers heads and we were getting ranked just because we were the Razorbacks.  That hasn't happened before or since.

JFB would have beaten Saban 3 times from 1960 to 1969.

Ben

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 31, 2014, 03:50:41 pm
The fact that we weren't #1 for about 14 weeks says one thing: In that era, the sportswriters were not going to vote any teams from the south (except Texas, OU, and Bama) as #1. The top spot was reserved for Big 10, Pac 8, or Notre Dame, period.

Not always true. Ole Miss was ranked #1 for 5 weeks in the 60s. LSU was ranked all 14 weeks #1 in 58-59. Tenn had 8 weeks at #1 in the 50s, Aub was #1 for 3 weeks in the 50s,  etc

Wahls

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2014, 11:15:05 am
He'd get smoked because Frank would abuse the black players and most would refuse to play for him. Ask Darrell Brown.

Darrell has had a pretty successful life.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 30, 2014, 10:36:20 am
If the head hog was in his prime this era, how do you think he would fare vs nick saban? Also, you think he could have won an SEC title already?

And for fun, could he beat malzahn and auburn?

No.

No.

No.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Steef

bphi11ips

Houston Nutt beat Saban. 

Could have captioned this thread, "Is Frank Broyles overrated?"

Only in the small minds of red wolf fans.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MJ2

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 31, 2014, 04:04:38 pm
True. But at one point he was 4-5 against Texas. The second half of his career against UT hurt his overall bad. 

JFBs era at UA was '58 to '76. Just to let you know how REALLY salty Texas was back then, OUs record against UT was 6-13 during that time. Legendary OU coach Bud Wilkinson lost to Texas six times in a row in that era. 

Yep, I remember it well.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: board on March 31, 2014, 05:19:25 pm
The concept should be each at their best with similar talent and I say Hell Yes...

Then yes. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LJHOG

Frank was the architect of the "monster man" defense; a scheme used by a lot of colleges in his time and up until the proliferation of 4 and 5 wide receiver sets.