Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ad in today's ADG sports section...

Started by ricepig, March 30, 2014, 09:04:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

poloprince

LRlosing a game backlash has officially begun.
$PoLoPrInCe$

870hogfan

Quote from: Nate(wocraig)Craig on March 30, 2014, 12:51:35 pm
If you want to write an open letter, have the balls to sign your name.  Don't go the coward's way out by using some moniker like, "Friends of the Razorbacks."

If you believe something to be true, then you should have no problem looking someone in the eye and telling them...or at least signing your name to the correspondence.

This.

ricepig

redeye

Whoever did it has too much money and not enough brains.

harrisburghog

This person said in the letter what many fans refuse to accept and believe.

PonderinHog

Is running an ad this size in the ADG cheaper than flying a banner and does it reach more people ???

WilsonHog

BPsTheMan

Cajuns Wharf Summit strikes again

Sincerely
Bpstheman
Friend of the Razorbacks

Wants2Win

Amateurs. I've said the firing of CBP would be a disaster for this program since day 1.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: rhog1 on March 30, 2014, 03:16:52 pm
Doing more and more to prove Clay Travis right about our fan base.

In my opinion, at this point our fans are the best thing about our program.

MrThunderhog

If the Hogs go o-fer in the SEC again this year I wouldn't want to be an air traffic controller in NEA. This is just the beginning  of what is to come.

Since the firing of Bobby Petrino the ony entity that has gained anything is Jeff Long. The team and fans have suffered through back to back losing seasons with the second being the worst ever. And during that time Jeff Long has gotten 2 sizeable raises.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

ricepig

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 30, 2014, 05:42:13 pm
If the Hogs go o-fer in the SEC again this year I wouldn't want to be an air traffic controller in NEA. This is just the beginning  of what is to come.

Since the firing of Bobby Petrino the ony entity that has gained anything is Jeff Long. The team and fans have suffered through back to back losing seasons with the second being the worst ever. And during that time Jeff Long has gotten 2 sizeable raises.

Well, if you were an air traffic controller in NEA, you'd be in Memphis, I understand you not wanting to be there. Maybe Long was under paid to start off, and they just brought him up to par?

WilsonHog

We might be the only fan base in the country that worries about what an AD makes.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on March 30, 2014, 10:00:26 am
Well, say what you want about us crazy Arkansas fans but the facts are the facts. Arkansas is the only SEC team that did not make it to a bowl game or the NCAA basketball tourney in 2014. To me that says poor job performance.

He came in and put a lot of distance between the university and so big donors by pushing good men like Chuck Dicus out the door.

Long it seems is very lucky every time he hires a coach. Petrino fell into his lap, and was about to hire guys like Jim Grobe or Bowden, who have both been fired. Mike Anderson always wanted to come back home to Arkansas, and without that connection to the program I bet Long would not have been able to close that deal on his on.

Then there is his actions after the Petrino deal. He hires Mr. Smiley who did not even know what state he coaching in, thought we were Alabama!

And it takes him several months to hire someone who goes 0-8 in the SEC and has a nine game losing streak all while under a four year 12.8 million umbrella!

Bottom line only winning happening in the U of A athletic department is all the big contracts
Jeff Long is getting and giving.

Last I am about to turn forty-three and I've followed and supported the Razorbacks both with my heart and money since I could remember and I can't recall our program as a total ever being this low. I know this post will get delegated and some will say I am wrong but it's just my opinion.

I love the University and I love the Razorbacks!

Go Hogs!

Wish I could tell you the truth, but it would be mean...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BPsTheMan

when will NWA get a true stand-alone newspaper?

I'd buy it

Fay-Springdale-Bentonville-Rogers is over a quarter million in those combined city limits, and Benton and Wash Counties as a whole are over 400K

The Knoxville News-Sentinel comes to mind...

Bpstheman
Friend of the Razorbacks

chitwnhog

Quote from: BPsTheMan on March 30, 2014, 07:25:27 pm
when will NWA get a true stand-alone newspaper?

I'd buy it

Fay-Springdale-Bentonville-Rogers is over a quarter million in those combined city limits, and Benton and Wash Counties as a whole are over 400K

The Knoxville News-Sentinel comes to mind...

Bpstheman
Friend of the Razorbacks

This reminds me of my first thought when I saw the OP...."People still buy newspapers?"

BPsTheMan

Quote from: chitwnhog on March 30, 2014, 07:32:18 pm
This reminds me of my first thought when I saw the OP...."People still buy newspapers?"

Yep, good point, probably why nothing seems to be in the works for one in NWA

Delicious~Dreams

Robert Shields did it.........;) lol!   :)   

Isn't it about time for another From Behind The Bench Thread?? 

I thought that you had to give your name if you took out an ad in the newspaper??     Looks like if whoever felt that strongly about it, he would have listed his name. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on March 30, 2014, 07:41:42 pm
Robert Shields did it.........;) lol!   :)   

Isn't it about time for another From Behind The Bench Thread?? 

I thought that you had to give your name if you took out an ad in the newspaper??     Looks like if whoever felt that strongly about it, he would have listed his name. 

Cowards work in the dark...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

An Ad in the paper shouldn't be a big surprise.  I don't know what he earns but I do know 2 increases recently is not good business.  Success should decide income earnings and raises.  His success rate is pitiful.  Now someone point out how much his cunning and genius has increased the funding of everything Razorback in the last couple of years.  Hurry...

BPsTheMan

Quote from: 12247 on March 30, 2014, 07:58:30 pm
An Ad in the paper shouldn't be a big surprise.  I don't know what he earns but I do know 2 increases recently is not good business.  Success should decide income earnings and raises.  His success rate is pitiful.  Now someone point out how much his cunning and genius has increased the funding of everything Razorback in the last couple of years.  Hurry...

you're just pissed he didn't hire your boy Gus

jkstock04

Quote from: 12247 on March 30, 2014, 07:58:30 pm
What is the best is when people bring up how respected he his amongst his peers and all over the country...as a fan why should that concern me? It obviously doesn't equal wins on the field...that's my main concern.

I guess it just depends on what type of fan you are...over the past couple of years a number of people have come forward saying winning wasn't important compared to program perception. That is mind blowing to me, but if that is your stance I can easily see how you think Jeff Long should deserve raise after raise in light of everything that has happened.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on March 30, 2014, 12:19:45 pm
This program under Long's full leadership is like a snowball headed for hell. There are many of us who are  nowhere near as enamored with long as he is himself.

But does anyone really care?

ADs get criticized at every university in the country. This is not unique to Arkansas and no one that matters (BOT) cares.

Delicious~Dreams

Is this not a vent and rumor thread yet? 

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2014, 01:13:54 pm
Well, C. Johnson, Treasure, 401 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78701 is listed at the bottom of the ad. I hope this isn't against HV rules to list as it is public info.

So a Texas banker in Austin criticized our AD, in our local paper, and some of you agree with him?

Kenny Hawgins

Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

hawgsalot

Yeah oh Jeff is horrible and our suffering is all his fault.  Nothing he's ever done is right and by god the good ole hogville and Austin boys aren't afraid to say it anonymously of course.  The ignorance is beyond ridiculous.

Pork Twain

Arkansas fans can be so ignorant.  Having lived out of state for so long, I come to Hogville often to be reminded.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 30, 2014, 04:47:20 pm
Is running an ad this size in the ADG cheaper than flying a banner and does it reach more people ???
Good point. Who reads the ADG anymore? I'm just surprised someone read it to be able to bring it up. More people probably have read this thread than the original ad.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 30, 2014, 05:52:35 pm
We might be the only fan base in the country that worries about what an AD makes.

Wilson,

Cmon man. He has used other job offerings to get himself two raises. Very Houston esque....

Petrino and Mike were forced on him. The programs are functioning at a poor level. No.bowl games in two years, no NCAA tourney berths since he has been here....tried to hire Bowden and Grobe, hired Bielema.which will not work out in my opinion and just hired a tv commentator to be a damn coach. But he has secured raise after raise. Now I realize you will come back with the there is more.than wins and losses to being an AD. tell me how revenue is at an all time high, failing.to mention that is because of the new SEC network, not because everyone is donating more. Donations reached a all time high when Petrino was here, and it was becauseof the product Bobby put on the field, not of Jeffs doing. Razorvision is still like watching tv in the 70's. When tradition is mentioned, he loves to tweet about new tradition is being made right now. In Arkansas, the tradition means something. Jeffs idea of tradition is a joke. Pepsi, Integrity goes a long way and weekly ass whippings in the fall aint tradition...it is pathetic.

So people can run up Jeff is the greatest AD in the country all they want, it is a joke. Tell me what makes him the greatest AD in the business? Cuz he fired Petrino? Pepsi? Jimmy Dykes? Because the programs he has had control of, with the exception of 3 years with.Bobby, have been nothing short of embarrassing, and I aint even mentioned slappy the clown.

Everybody hears, Jeff Long is the greatest,  he is chairman of the NCAA playoff, see how much he is respected...I.dont give a rats ass. Jeff is about Jeff. Constant plays of integrity to position himself to his real dream gig, Emmerts job. He doesn't give a damn about Arkansas, he gives a damn about Jeff.

I know you know.this, you are.to smart a guy

PRJ

Wild Bill Hog

I didn't do it.  Anyone checked with FCJ?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 30, 2014, 08:40:09 pm
What is the best is when people bring up how respected he his amongst his peers and all over the country...as a fan why should that concern me? It obviously doesn't equal wins on the field...that's my main concern.

I guess it just depends on what type of fan you are...over the past couple of years a number of people have come forward saying winning wasn't important compared to program perception. That is mind blowing to me, but if that is your stance I can easily see how you think Jeff Long should deserve raise after raise in light of everything that has happened.

Those fans want to become the Harvard of the south...

PRJ

tusksincolorado

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2014, 10:30:53 pm
Arkansas fans can be so ignorant.  Having lived out of state for so long, I come to Hogville often to be reminded.

Isn't that the truth....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

redeye

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 30, 2014, 10:41:30 pm
Wilson,

Cmon man. He has used other job offerings to get himself two raises. Very Houston esque....

Petrino and Mike were forced on him. The programs are functioning at a poor level. No.bowl games in two years, no NCAA tourney berths since he has been here....tried to hire Bowden and Grobe, hired Bielema.which will not work out in my opinion and just hired a tv commentator to be a damn coach. But he has secured raise after raise. Now I realize you will come back with the wins and losses to being an AD. tell me how revenue is at an all time high, failing.to mention that is because of the new SEC network, not because everyone is donating more. Donations reached a all time high when Petrino was here, and it was becauseof the product Bobby put on the field, not of Jeffs doing. Razorvision is still like watching tv in the 70's. When tradition is mentioned, he loves to tweet about new tradition is being made right now. In Arkansas, the tradition means something. Jeffs idea of tradition is a joke. Pepsi, Integrity goes a long way and weekly ass whippings in the fall aint tradition...it is pathetic.

So people can run up Jeff is the greatest AD in the country all they want, it is a joke. Tell me what makes him the greatest AD in the business? Cuz he fired Petrino? Pepsi? Jimmy Dykes? Because the programs he has had control of, with the exception of 3 years with.Bobby, have been nothing short of embarrassing, and I aint even mentioned slappy the clown.

Everybody hears, Jeff Long is the greatest,  he is chairman of the NCAA playoff, see how much he is respected...I.dont give a rats ass. Jeff is about Jeff. Constant plays of integrity to position himself to his real dream gig, Emmerts job. He doesn't give a damn about Arkansas, he gives a damn about Jeff.

PRJ

So he's bad?

Seriously, your comment just sounds bitter and I'm skeptical that you're giving your real reason for not liking Long.  He may be a bad AD, but you've yet to lay out any evidence to support that view.

Still, I'm curious who fans like you would be happy with as our AD?  And if we were to hire your choice, do you really think that would quickly translate into more wins and higher revenue?  I have to guess that you do, since you blame Long for all our problems.  I only wish it were that easy.

WilsonHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 30, 2014, 10:41:30 pm
Wilson,

Petrino and Mike were forced on him. The programs are functioning at a poor level. No.bowl games in two years, no NCAA tourney berths since he has been here....tried to hire Bowden and Grobe, hired Bielema.which will not work out in my opinion and just hired a tv commentator to be a damn coach. But he has secured raise after raise. Now I realize you will come back with the there is more.than wins and losses to being an AD. tell me how revenue is at an all time high, failing.to mention that is because of the new SEC network, not because everyone is donating more. Donations reached a all time high when Petrino was here, and it was becauseof the product Bobby put on the field, not of Jeffs doing. Razorvision is still like watching tv in the 70's. When tradition is mentioned, he loves to tweet about new tradition is being made right now. In Arkansas, the tradition means something. Jeffs idea of tradition is a joke. Pepsi, Integrity goes a long way and weekly ass whippings in the fall aint tradition...it is pathetic.

PRJ

What I'm saying is this. I know what Jeff Long makes because I read it in the ADG this morning. Think it was around $875,000 a year.

My reaction upon reading that was the same as it would have been if the figure had been $125,000 a year, or $2.2 million a year - total indifference.

A don't care what any college coach or AD makes. I don't care what any professional athlete or coach makes.

Never have, never will.

I think I read a couple of days ago that the Detroit Tigers' 3rd baseman signed a 10-year contract worth $292 million - guaranteed money. If he plays every inning of every game during those 10 seasons (which certainly will never happen) he'll make just shy of $20,000 per inning, on average. If you prefer to think of it in terms of plate appearances, that's an average of about $50,000 every time he steps out of the on-deck circle.

Good for him.

porkrindjimmy

Redeye, I believe I saw where we are valued at I beleve the 8th most valuable program in the country....last I knew, they didnt give a National.Championship for Value...In the two major sports at the UofA, in the past 7 years with Jeff at the helm..

Football...40-34 overall. 3 bowl games.
basketball 105-86..no NCAA Tourney berths, 1 NIT.

That aint kicking down.the doors....

But by all means, point out Jeffs success

PRJ

Danny J

High Octane Hog

Not that I care, but I think the Governor might see through the backwoods hillbilly BS. The GOB network is po-ed about something, they need to spend their pennies getting a pro team to this state instead of trying to control a state run school.

Sivad

Quote from: Jimmy on March 30, 2014, 03:09:56 pm
The governor will not involve himself in this, nor should he.   
The Razorbacks are more powerful than the Governor anyway, if they weren't we'd be playing ASU.

redeye

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 30, 2014, 11:18:10 pm
Redeye, I believe I saw where we are valued at I beleve the 8th most valuable program in the country....last I knew, they didnt give a National.Championship for Value...In the two major sports at the UofA, in the past 7 years with Jeff at the helm..

Football...40-34 overall. 3 bowl games.
basketball 105-86..no NCAA Tourney berths, 1 NIT.

That aint kicking down.the doors....

But by all means, point out Jeffs success

PRJ

So, we haven't won enough for you?

I don't know if Long is a good AD or not, but his record at Arkansas has been quite impressive.  I'm sure you won't agree, but he's hired winning coaches away from equivalent schools in both sports and one of the most desired coaches in football away from a NFL team.  I could go on and on, but I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't address your real problem, whatever that may be.

If your real problem is that Long is from the North, then you're being dishonest.  If it's that Arkansas has yet to become the latest SEC team to win a national title, then you're naive of the difficulty in doing this anywhere, but especially here.  I'm not one to be satisfied with mediocrity, but I am patient and realistic.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: redeye on March 31, 2014, 01:33:28 am
So, we haven't won enough for you?

I don't know if Long is a good AD or not, but his record at Arkansas has been quite impressive.  I'm sure you won't agree, but he's hired winning coaches away from equivalent schools in both sports and one of the most desired coaches in football away from a NFL team.  I could go on and on, but I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't address your real problem, whatever that may be.

If your real problem is that Long is from the North, then you're being dishonest.  If it's that Arkansas has yet to become the latest SEC team to win a national title, then you're naive of the difficulty in doing this anywhere, but especially here.  I'm not one to be satisfied with mediocrity, but I am patient and realistic.

Jeff Long was force fed Bobby Petrino
Mike Anderson was a similar type hire if what was reported was true

Bret Bielema is all Jeff Longs

So before you go tooting Jeff Longs horn about his miracle hires, you might want to think about that a bit. And smile, he hired John L Smith because the team could basically coach itself.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: CallMeHog on March 30, 2014, 10:30:53 pm
Good point. Who reads the ADG anymore? I'm just surprised someone read it to be able to bring it up. More people probably have read this thread than the original ad.
Exactly.   And why not make an acct here and post it or use twitter etc?   

ChitownHawg

Not all of them, but I am with you on this. I guess when you live in the nut house everyone looks sane, but living on the outside...  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 30, 2014, 10:43:41 pm
Those fans want to become the Harvard of the south...

PRJ

Not sure what your point was (other than sounding like a backwoods redneck), but for an alum whose career is tied to my degree being "Harvard of the South" that is not a bad thing.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Hawgzinbowlz

I'm looking to the East over these beautiful Arkansas Ozarks, watching the sunrise start, and after sleeping on it, this is one Arkansan "Friend of the Razorbacks" that believes we should give Jeff a larger raise for " Firin' the lyin little weasel."

" GO HOGS "

Hawgzinbowlz

Most of your posts are valid.
Living in or out of the State of Arkansas has nothing to do with being ignorant and nothing to do with being an Arkansas Fan.
All your posts indicate you are an Arkansas Fan.
Your above post is ignorant.

" GO HOGS "

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MorrellHog on March 31, 2014, 06:53:25 am
Most of your posts are valid.
Living in or out of the State of Arkansas has nothing to do with being ignorant and nothing to do with being an Arkansas Fan.
All your posts indicate you are an Arkansas Fan.
Your above post is ignorant.

" GO HOGS "

How's the nut house?  ;)

Hawgzinbowlz

ChitownHawg

Pork Twain

I still love how every good hire was ofrced on Long.  You guys crack me up and continue to reafirm my belief in the intelligence level/obvious agenda/both, of many on here.

Safe to take everything PRJ says with a grain of salt.  I do not think he has ever been happy with anything.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/