Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Rule Changes

Started by Fatty McGee, March 29, 2014, 12:30:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

These will possibly trickle down, so worth reading.  Raising the goalposts, replay issues, blocking restrictions. Of course the one getting the most press is the no-dunking rule, which further advances the League's image as the No Fun League:

http://grantland.com/features/updating-the-nfl-rulebook/

Dunking through the uprights is banned, and other forms of taunting will be reenforced:

Do you know a single person who doesn't watch the NFL because there's too much taunting going on? Somebody who ran away from the television screaming during the Panthers-49ers playoff game because, amid season-ending injuries and late hits, there happened to be too much darn-talking after the end of the play? Come on. Jeff Fisher suggested afterward that the league wanted to codify its penalties to set an example for the college level, but if the NFL really wanted to do that, it should have added something to the rulebook about making sure players get paychecks.

The move to ban dunks through the uprights is, according to the league, tied to the increase in upright size and the delay caused by a Jimmy Graham dunk last season. It has nothing, I'm sure, to do with the retirement of Tony Gonzalez, who used this as a touchdown celebration for years before retiring.2 I'm not sure how the size argument matters here — it's going to be a big problem if a goalpost falls, regardless of whether it's a 30-foot one or a 35-foot one — and it's not like the NFL banned sprinkler systems after a water malfunction delayed a Seahawks-Dolphins game in 2012.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci