Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We sweep

Started by OS2 (SW) Razor Back, March 28, 2014, 11:43:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MGB1229

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on March 31, 2014, 12:04:44 pm
Almost as good. We barely squeaked into OT in both KY games and barely won them.

SC romped all over KY, leading by 16 at one point.

That's fine, but they only won by 5 at home so I guess that's why they play the whole game.  We won by four.  I don't care if there is overtime or not.  Fact is we beat them on the road and South Carolina can't say that.  Actually the only road win they got was Mississippi St. 

Why does everybody want to downplay our few bright spots of the season.  I don't get it at all.  If everybody is so enamored with other teams crappy accomplishments then by all means go root for them. 

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 31, 2014, 12:27:49 pm
That's fine, but they only won by 5 at home so I guess that's why they play the whole game.  We won by four.  I don't care if there is overtime or not.  Fact is we beat them on the road and South Carolina can't say that.  Actually the only road win they got was Mississippi St. 

Why does everybody want to downplay our few bright spots of the season.  I don't get it at all.  If everybody is so enamored with other teams crappy accomplishments then by all means go root for them.
In fact, I am one who has "up-played" our bright spots. We were only six inches from 25-and-8 (no "that's what she said" jokes, please).  I love this team and I'm proud of them.

My only point was to say that the Hogs barely beating Kentucky twice is certainly better, but not all that much more "amazing" and incredibly stupendous, as USCe beating them handily once.

MGB1229

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on March 31, 2014, 12:36:08 pm
In fact, I am one who has "up-played" our bright spots. We were only six inches from 25-and-8 (no "that's what she said" jokes, please).  I love this team and I'm proud of them.

My only point was to say that the Hogs barely beating Kentucky twice is certainly better, but not all that much more "amazing" and incredibly stupendous, as USCe beating them handily once.

I was so proud of the team after that road game and then our hearts got ripped out. Hopefully wins like that will pay dividends going forward, but obviously they just didn't know how to maintain that killer instinct.  That's been the story for a long time now though.

What I really hope is that this new crop of guards will increase the talent level enough to push this team over the edge and give us some consistency.  We are a fun team to watch when everything is rolling, but the roller coaster ride is making everybody sick. Lol.   

It's hard being a hog fan right now, but I think there is light at the end. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 31, 2014, 10:06:38 am
They had one victory against them at home.  Is that the same to you as 2 victories with one being on the road?  Obviously you are right that they were undefeated, but don't pretend like what they accomplished was just as good.

I'm not. I'm trying to establish that one (or two) games don't make a season. We had our chances to make the tournament and didn't get it done. The fact that we beat Kentucky twice and they're in the Final Four now doesn't change that. NIT was appropriate for the season we had. The logic around here seems to be that we should have made the tournament because we beat Kentucky twice. Well, yeah, we should have. But then we blew it in the SEC tournament against South Carolina. We also dropped two home games this year that we absolutely should have won. It's stuff like that that kept us out of the tournament. We proved we are competitive again, including on the road. Why can't people just be happy with that and stop friggin' complaining about how disrespected the SEC is and how Arkansas got screwed out of a tourney bid. It's ridiculous.

MGB1229

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2014, 01:00:38 pm
I'm not. I'm trying to establish that one (or two) games don't make a season. We had our chances to make the tournament and didn't get it done. The fact that we beat Kentucky twice and they're in the Final Four now doesn't change that. NIT was appropriate for the season we had. The logic around here seems to be that we should have made the tournament because we beat Kentucky twice. Well, yeah, we should have. But then we blew it in the SEC tournament against South Carolina. We also dropped two home games this year that we absolutely should have won. It's stuff like that that kept us out of the tournament. We proved we are competitive again, including on the road. Why can't people just be happy with that and stop friggin' complaining about how disrespected the SEC is and how Arkansas got screwed out of a tourney bid. It's ridiculous.

I'm not saying we should have made the tournament because we beat Kentucky twice.  I am not one of those that said we deserved to be in the tournament at all and I agree with you that the NIT was appropriate for this team all things considered. 

I get equally as tired of the people on here that want to bash anybody and everybody that has anything positive to say about the team.  I get constructive criticism, but being negative just to be negative is not constructive in any way. 

Arkansas didn't get screwed out of the tournament in any way.  They played their way out of it, but people that say the conference was complete crap are delusional.  Hopefully we can schedule better and win a few more that we should win.  Until then we will be in the same boat. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: MGB1229 on March 31, 2014, 01:52:27 pm
I'm not saying we should have made the tournament because we beat Kentucky twice.  I am not one of those that said we deserved to be in the tournament at all and I agree with you that the NIT was appropriate for this team all things considered. 

I get equally as tired of the people on here that want to bash anybody and everybody that has anything positive to say about the team.  I get constructive criticism, but being negative just to be negative is not constructive in any way. 

Arkansas didn't get screwed out of the tournament in any way.  They played their way out of it, but people that say the conference was complete crap are delusional.  Hopefully we can schedule better and win a few more that we should win.  Until then we will be in the same boat.

The SEC basketball conference is not complete crap. But for the SEC to be like the 4th or 5th best basketball conference when it's the best football and baseball conference....kinda looks bad. There was a time when you wouldn't have to make an argument that the SEC is better than the A-10. There's debate now, though I do think the SEC is the better conference.

MGB1229

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2014, 02:02:45 pm
The SEC basketball conference is not complete crap. But for the SEC to be like the 4th or 5th best basketball conference when it's the best football and baseball conference....kinda looks bad. There was a time when you wouldn't have to make an argument that the SEC is better than the A-10. There's debate now, though I do think the SEC is the better conference.

No doubt it is time for the conference to step up and take the necessary steps to put our teams in the best possible positions to succeed.  Leaving it in the hands of the jury isn't going to cut it as we can see. Obviously we have to take care of business on our end and win the ones we should win. No more of this "they just wanted it more" junk.  I realize that's just a generic response these guys throw around when they get beat, but that needs to change if it's really the case.       

Sharky

And Missouri swept us. KY doing well does make our sweep look impressive, but we were a 10-8 conference team with a 202 ranked non-con schedule and a one-and-done in the conference tourney.

Doc Harper noted our scheduling problem back in September, stating that our schedule left us with "less room for error." We obviously made some errors that even a sweep over Kentucky couldn't erase.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/doc-harper-why-arkansas-razorback-basketball-schedule-is-a-disappointment/

code red

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 29, 2014, 09:16:29 am
  Why does everyone say finish better, wrong answer. Arkansas needs to start better. You can't start the SEC conference getting run out of the gym at Texas A&M and losing OT games to Florida and Georgia and letting Missouri beat you at home. 2-6 in the first 8. If Arkansas goes 4-4 to start conference the finish wouldn't have mattered. We would have been 12-6 and 2nd in the SEC with our sweep of Kentucky.
No wrong.  If we would have won those and lost the last 3 like we did we would still be on the outside looking in.  The committee remembers the finish.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou