Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Tidbit on Josh Frazier's Recruitment to UA

Started by trashcan maN, March 28, 2014, 07:59:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pig Power

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 28, 2014, 10:10:34 am
I don't give a crap what CBB said at a gathering in NWA, I watched the kid play on several occasions and he took 65%-75% (just an estimate, but damn close) of the snaps off.
And if the play went away from Josh he wouldn't even move in the direction that the play was going.
As far as JF was concerned the play was over for him.

Maybe he was injured most of the season, or just out of shape, but as far as just pure effort I didn't see it but a few plays in each of the games that I watched.
My brother coaches in same conference and echoes your comments. He said Arkansas got the best one from that school FWIW

Tim Harris

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 12:38:37 pm
Tim, I'm not 'making it seem OK' that we lost Josh Frazier. A recruiting analyst equally as reputable as RD said that JF was about 7th on the DT wish list before the season started and that they weren't as high on him as everyone else. I passed that along with no opinion of my own.

If you have a more valid source than Danny West(who you openly contradict on this), please share. Otherwise, you're just giving another baseless opinion - same as everyone else.

Edit: I say this with the understanding that you are not a member of the media and have no real inside knowledge of the program. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I can tell you that he was wanted by our coaches until the very end and they were still working on him.  If that makes him 7th on the board I have no clue.  My baseless opinion on this subject is worth just as much as Danny Wests.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 28, 2014, 12:44:37 pm
I can tell you that he was wanted by our coaches until the very end and they were still working on him.  If that makes him 7th on the board I have no clue.  My baseless opinion on this subject is worth just as much as Danny Wests.
Fair enough. Here's the exact quote for those interested. I don't see an issue with putting it up.

"They just didn't think he was the player that everyone else thought he was. They offered him and recruited him...you kind of have to when a big DT with other SEC offers is 10 minutes from your campus...but he was never in their top 7 at the DT position or considered a must-get or anything. And I mean that was the case several months before he made his decision in November, so not something they just made up after he picked Alabama. "

Hoggish1

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 10:39:47 am
Lol. Predictable. Frazier will probably rip poor Collins head off on a 3rd and short in a couple years.

LMAO about that.  Nobody has a crystal ball about where Frazier will be in a couple of years, but Collins, in likely his last year here, will be running behind the best O-line in college football.

I seriously doubt anybody's going to be ripping his head off in two years...

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 28, 2014, 11:43:04 am
Josh is a great player and we would be lucky to have landed him.  Here are my thoughts on the situation.

1.  Frazier was very high on the coaches list.  People can say he was 7th or 20th but they wanted him.
2.  Folks always try to make it seem ok when we miss out on a top in state player.  Either they weren't as good as the ranking, they were a locker room cancer, we got someone better, etc...  I bet if you dig deep enough you can find one of these types of threads on Frazier, Dyer, etc...
3.  People say he took a lot of plays off.  The truth is every HS kid does this.  We don't have the luxury of watching a JWill or Collins play every snap a game like some did for Frazier.  We watch a highlight tape which only shows the good plays.  Had people done the same for Frazier we never would have heard about him taking plays off.
4.  All state rankings mean very little in the grand scheme of things and many times are political.  Cousin Vinny was a parade all american and barely had any offers.

Why wouldn't fans think that?

Because that basically is what has happened to almost every one of these "4 star" recruits that has left the state. 

You could just make that assumption based on no credible information whatsoever and based on past history the odds would be in your favor that you would end up being correct.

Why is that?  Heck I don't know other than it somehow involves supernatural forces.  But just think how incredibly weird it was to see two 4 star QB's in a row leave Arkansas to go to Auburn and both of them started in a combined three games against us where they were the biggest reason we were able to beat Auburn.  They were Arkansas' most valuable players in those games playing for the other side.

Think about it, that's crazy amazing!  If they had been loyal Arkansas double agents they couldn't have done us more good by signing with Auburn and positively impacting our win column any better.

Then you had everyone talking about the character issues with a certain 5 star RB that signed with Auburn.  Wow, that turned out to be totally baseless didn't it Tim?  Sour grapes for sure.

Tenpenny - too early to tell, but didn't exactly win any freshman honors last year except best 6th string RB in the SEC.

I think it would be a challenge for one of these players to sign out of state and see if they can break this voodoo performance spell.  Maybe Frazier will be the first. (Josh)
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

trashcan maN

My baseless opinion on this subject is worth just as much as Danny Wests.
The point is that Danny wasn't giving an opinion, as he has access to first hand information. You have an opinion that Frazier was a priority recruit for our staff but offer no evidence that this is based on anything other than a gut feeling.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on March 28, 2014, 10:52:59 am
Collins played against some great, established DL last year and as far as I know his head is still attached. Please explain how you think that's LOL funny or are you just a simpleton who LOL when nervous or getting ready to state something stupid.

That's a lot of LOL.

Bubba's Bruisers

My baseless opinion on this subject is worth just as much as Danny Wests.

Lol!!  That's definitely gonna rub some the wrong way.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Razorhawg09

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 28, 2014, 12:52:29 pm
LMAO about that.  Nobody has a crystal ball about where Frazier will be in a couple of years, but Collins, in likely his last year here, will be running behind the best O-line in college football.

I seriously doubt anybody's going to be ripping his head off in two years...
Collins isn't likely to go high with his lack of speed. He's in the doghouse right now and will likely be our third team back.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 28, 2014, 01:34:56 pm
Lol!!  That's definitely gonna rub some the wrong way.
If a forum moderator thinks his opinion on recruiting is just as valuable as a man whose job it is to stay in regular contact with recruits and coaches, and report on what he finds almost daily year-round, that's fine by me. I haven't been rubbed one way or the other. I'm actually impressed at how much value he puts in his own opinions.

TMc

Usually the recruits that list an hourly countdown of who they're committing to, are usually not worth the fuss.

Razorhawg09

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 01:37:51 pm
If a forum moderator thinks his opinion on recruiting is just as valuable as a man whose job it is to stay in regular contact with recruits and coaches, and report on what he finds almost daily year-round, that's fine by me. I haven't been rubbed one way or the other. I'm actually impressed at how much value he puts in his own opinions.
Man I don't think you understand how poor the media who cover UA are. One of our writers carries around a pet raccoon. Let that sink in for a minute.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 01:42:30 pm
Man I don't think you understand how poor the media who cover UA are. One of our writers carries around a pet raccoon. Let that sink in for a minute.
LOL. I hear u. I'm just yanking Tim's chain. He knows I <3 him.

Otis carry a racoon or someone else?

Tim Harris

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 01:01:15 pm
The point is that Danny wasn't giving an opinion, as he has access to first hand information. You have an opinion that Frazier was a priority recruit for our staff but offer no evidence that this is based on anything other than a gut feeling.

And I can tell you 100% fact that they were still trying to get him in here one of the last few weekends.  That is not gut feeling or anything like that.  It is from people just as close or closer than Danny West.

tbhogfan

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 09:40:12 am
No. You don't "know" this. I go back to that preseason gathering in NWA where Bielema made some comments ab how badly we needed a certain DL from the area. Not making all-state is just politics from the mental midgets in this state. Frazier whipped ass at the Army Bowl and people said he looked better than Jackson. Y'all do this crap every time a player leaves the state. Morons.
Dyer and Kiehl Frazier both made all-state, as have many other who left the state to play.  There's no politics about it.  The bottom line is that the HS coaches and writers in the state choose this team.   

If you have a valid point, you can do so without name calling. 
Go Hogs!

cosmodrum

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 01:44:51 pm
LOL. I hear u. I'm just yanking Tim's chain. He knows I <3 him.

Otis carry a racoon or someone else?

Probably hangs him from the loop in his cargo jorts. I wonder if it has a little Kobe jersey, too?
Go away, batin'

trashcan maN

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 28, 2014, 01:48:01 pm
And I can tell you 100% fact that they were still trying to get him in here one of the last few weekends.  That is not gut feeling or anything like that.  It is from people just as close or closer than Danny West.
So you're telling me you have a..........source?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 01:37:51 pm

I don't disagree, but I'm equally impressed with how much value one puts on DW's reports.  Not saying you, but we tend to place the most value with the report or opinion that tells us what we want to hear.  It's why most don't like 09.  His shtick is a broken record, but he's very often right.  We just choose not to see it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 28, 2014, 01:50:22 pm
I don't disagree, but I'm equally impressed with how much value one puts on DW's reports.  Not saying you, but we tend to place the most value with the report or opinion that tells us what we want to hear.  It's why most don't like 09.  His shtick is a broken record, but he's very often right.  We just choose not to see it.

Yep.  It is the same reason why we use the highest star ranking for a recruit.  Generally we go with 247 right now but if rivals happens to have them higher then we use the Rivals profile.

Tim Harris

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 01:49:34 pm
So you're telling me you have a..........source?

Believe it or not there are times when people who don't do this for a living have information as well.  I am wrong just as much as I am right though but since this isn't my job I have the luxury of being wrong and it not costing members ($$$). 

Speedracer

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but didn't the staff invite JF's mom to help "run" practice sometime near the end of his recruitment?
Like smites bother me.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Speedracer on March 28, 2014, 01:54:00 pm
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but didn't the staff invite JF's mom to help "run" practice sometime near the end of his recruitment?

Could be.  Did DW report that?  And if JF was 7th on the board, how many did DW say were on the board?  Was JF #7 of 7 DT's?

Tim Harris

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 28, 2014, 02:02:00 pm
Could be.  Did DW report that?  And if JF was 7th on the board, how many did DW say were on the board?  Was JF #7 of 7 DT's?

Now if this was #7 overall then I could go with that.....

mbgrulz

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 09:40:12 am
No. You don't "know" this. I go back to that preseason gathering in NWA where Bielema made some comments ab how badly we needed a certain DL from the area. Not making all-state is just politics from the mental midgets in this state. Frazier whipped ass at the Army Bowl and people said he looked better than Jackson. Y'all do this crap every time a player leaves the state. Morons.
Got it from someone on the defensive staff. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me.

BTW, its not sour grapes for me...I could care a less about football.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 28, 2014, 02:05:41 pm
Now if this was #7 overall then I could go with that.....

Yeah, that'd be handy piece of information.  I mean if they had say 50 DT's on the board, then it offers some real perspective.  Let's face it, #7 on the board is probably only marginally different than #3.  And of the first 6, how many did we actually have a legit shot with?  Other than Jackson, I'm betting we didn't sign anybody above Frazier on that board.  If so, then that's additional perspective in that we sure could have used Frazier.

trashcan maN

"but he was never in their top 7 at the DT position or considered a must-get or anything. "

From the quote that I pasted above. He explicitly says he was never in their top 7 at DT. I'm assuming that the list of DTs included everyone on the wish list. We offered a large number of DTs I'm sure.

The most interesting thing to me is that this information was given to Danny months before the commitment. Regardless of whether it was BS or not, it's not sour grapes, because that word was out there long before JF commited.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 28, 2014, 02:13:47 pm
Yeah, that'd be handy piece of information.  I mean if they had say 50 DT's on the board, then it offers some real perspective.  Let's face it, #7 on the board is probably only marginally different than #3.  And of the first 6, how many did we actually have a legit shot with?  Other than Jackson, I'm betting we didn't sign anybody above Frazier on that board.  If so, then that's additional perspective in that we sure could have used Frazier.
I think it's pretty safe to say that we landed only one DT that the coaches had rated higher than JF before the season started.

Bubba's Bruisers

We offered Frazier very early.  I believe it was a committable offer.  I believe we would have taken is commitment at any point during his recruitment...without blinking.  I believe, or at least bet, we didn't have a legit shot at most of the DT's ranked above Frazier on our board.

Therefore, I believe no matter his ranking on our board, and I can buy the assertion he wasn't top 7, he was a major priority for us. 

Do you boys think DW would have put this info out had JF signed with us? 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kj0N on March 28, 2014, 02:18:30 pm
I think it's pretty safe to say that we landed only one DT that the coaches had rated higher than JF before the season started.

Yes, most sane posters can see that.  But you should know many on here ain't sane.

redeye

None of this surprises me at all.  NWA players are routinely overrated and I suspected this was the case with Frazier, even though I never saw him play.  I'm not trying to be critical of NWA players, and some of them do live up to expectations, but just opining based on past experience.  I've come to expect there to be an overrated NWA player every year and last year I suspected Josh was somewhat overrated.  I said all along that I thought we got the best one in Jackson and I've never seen him play, either, but South Arkansas players tend to live up to expectations more.

Having said that, #7 isn't bad and I'm sure they really did want Frazier.  Gragg may be their #1 TE this year, but I bet instate players often fall further on their list then we'd think.  I'll also say that there probably were some sour grapes in bringing this story to light, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.  It just means that there are a lot of people who are unhappy that we lost Frazier to Alabama and that includes me.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on March 28, 2014, 02:24:28 pm

Do you boys think DW would have put this info out had JF signed with us?
It was more of an off the cuff remark that I asked him to elaborate on than a story, but no, I don't think it would have been mentioned if he signed with us.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Tim Harris on March 28, 2014, 01:48:01 pm
And I can tell you 100% fact that they were still trying to get him in here one of the last few weekends.
And that could jive perfectly with the OP. No one's doubting that we put in the effort in recruiting Frazier. The ultimate question is whether we were dying to get Frazier and had him as a top DT or if we were recruiting him hard b/c he was local and highly rated. I truly have no idea,  but those of you rushing to "sour grapes" are being a bit closed minded on it.

If you think coaches don't ever offer/recruit local, highly rated guys in spite of their own feelings on them then you are being naive.

Razorhawg09

Nipsey Mussle

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 12:20:40 pm
The point is Bama has guys running 2nd and 3rd team that would start for us. Surely even your primitive brain can understand that. I swear some of you are proof of the evolution theory.

Impact players, by defination, play regardless of the team they play for. However, I wouldn't expect you to understand that concept.

tophawg19

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 10:39:47 am
Lol. Predictable. Frazier will probably rip poor Collins head off on a 3rd and short in a couple years.
crap like this should get you kicked off this board .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 10:49:26 am
Yeah, I'm sure the Harber coaches said he's lazy. Once again, y'all pull this crap every time a player leaves the state. Makes our fanbase look pathetic. Like we need anymore reasons for the rest of the country to ridicule us.
if you would leave and get out of the closet for bama , our fanbase would be improved greatly

redeye

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 28, 2014, 05:10:45 pm
crap like this should get you kicked off this board .

I have to admit that I'm trying to figure out why any Arkansas fan would say such a thing.  I mean, it certainly would appear as if RH09 is rooting for Frazier and against Collins.

tophawg19

thankfully Choctaw called him on it . more of us need to . I didn't like the way he bashed Collins , hogs or the fans .

BPsTheMan

Many top prospects never play up to their full potential on the high school field.

I'm going to guess Nick Saban noticed it, and was used to seeing it, and it didn't bother him. That's why new freshmen are ripped a new one in August when they get their first taste of D1 ball.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on March 28, 2014, 12:20:40 pm
The point is Bama has guys running 2nd and 3rd team that would start for us. Surely even your primitive brain can understand that. I swear some of you are proof of the evolution theory.

You seem upset.