Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sweet 16 picks

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 27, 2014, 11:06:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

March 27, 2014, 11:06:38 am Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:50:33 pm by HoginMemphis
I am going to show you how little I know about college basketball with these picks:

South Regional here in Memphis:

#1Fla over #4UCLA - no reason to pick UCLA over Fla but would not be shocked if UCLA wins

#11Dayton over #10Stanford - #11 vs. #10 so basically a pick 'em in my mind, but I will go with the Flyers to continue their upset streak.

East Regional:

#4Mich St over #1VA - VA's run ends here. Mich St has the tournament experience and VA will choke on this bigger stage.

#7UCONN over #3Iowa St - UCONN, and the AAC, better than the NCAAT have given them credit for. Will be close game but UCONN's experience will beat Iowa St.

West Regional:

#1Arizona over #4San Diego St - Arizona has played better comp in the NCAAT so far and will dominate SD St.

#2Wisc over #6Baylor - Baylor's NCAAT run, and offense, ends here. Wisc's defense will stop Baylor's high flying offense.

Midwest Regional:

#4Louisville over #8KY - again, AAC better than NCAAT or anyone else has given it credit for. Louisville, the defending NC, will beat the younger and much less experienced KY team and probably win by double digits. Louisville should have been higher than a 4 seed and this is giving them a chip on their collective shoulder. Pitino over Calipari once again.

#2Michigan over #11TN - TN's run ends here. Should be a competitive game but the outcome will never be in doubt.

Thus, I am predicting 3 upsets in 8 games.

Btw, Go SMU Mustangs! Pony up to the NIT FF!

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

CDBHawg

Florida
Stanford

Mich. St.
Iowa St.

Zona
Baylor

KY
Tenner

And yes, Go Mustangs.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 11:35:14 am
Florida
Stanford

Mich. St.
Iowa St.

Zona
Baylor

KY
Tenner

And yes, Go Mustangs.
We differ on 5 of the 8. Wow.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Atlhogfan1

The only obvious pick it looks like going in is Arizona and SD St.  Arizona is much better offensively.  But SD St. is athletic and can defend. 

There may be some blowouts but it is interesting how some things have worked out.

Stanford and Dayton are probably the two "worst" teams left and play each other.

Iowa St would be a F4 contender with Niang and would be an obvious pick over UConn.  Without him and playing in NYC, UConn could be tough for them to beat. 

Florida
Stanford

MSU
UConn

Arizona
Wisc - If this were the weekend game, maybe BU.  Ryan has had a few days to prepare.

Lville - Just a guess.  UK's big guards can give Louisville's perimeter shooters trouble.  Cards 6-26 from 3 in their earlier game. 
Tenn - A bad matchup for Michigan.  Tenn does not give up many 3pt shots and Michigan is heavily dependent on 3pt shooting.  Their shots will be contested a lot if they take them.  If Michigan can spread Tenn out, take advantage of some mismatches and score off the dribble, they can win.  It is just safer to go with the team that relies on defense and rebounding and who has guards capable of scoring from the perimeter as well. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

trashcan maN

March 27, 2014, 02:49:17 pm #4 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:12:12 pm by kj0N
I went 25/32 in rnd 1
11/16 in rnd 2

Im taking
FL-Complete team. UCLA has the horses to pull an upset, but I'm going with Donavan(sp) and the Gators

Zona-Extremetly athletic. Play smothering defense. Can run anyone out of the gym if they have an off night. This one should be a double digit victory.

MSU-Talking heads have said all year they're the best team in the country when healthy. I'm not so sure, but I'll take Izzo in a big game.

Louisville-Same as above. Louisville has better, more experienced guys and one of the best big game coaches ever.

Baylor-I've had Baylor in the Elite 8 since day 1, so I'll keep rolling with them. They're ridiculously long and have a ton of size inside. They're the superior athletes. WI better bring it.

Stanford-Entirely too much size for Dayton to deal with.

Mich-They're an elite offensive team. TN needs to have a great shooting night to stay in this one. If MI brings their B+ game, they should handle TN. MI has the talent to win it all.

Iowa St-Lost a key player, but I feel like they're the superior basketball team from a superior conference(this year). I have very little faith in this pick. It's basically a tossup to me.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^

Good analysis. But sd st played zona to 9 pts earlier this year and zona has since had a major player injured for the season. Steve fisher is very underrated. Zona should win, but i think it'll be interesting.

Another tidbit. You know Sean miller was giving Archie all he could on Stanford. Could play a role. Hoping Dayton advances.

widespreadsooie

UCLA
Stanford
Zona
Baylor
VA
Conn
MIC
LOU

Danny J

Florida
Dayton
MSU
Iowa state
Zona
Baylor
UK
Tenn

BadHog

All of AZ's  4 losses came after Ashley's injury. They are more vulnerable now.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HognotinMemphis

You boys whiffed on Baylor and on Stanford. I got both of those, picking Dayton and Wisc, going 4 for 4 yesterday. I like my chances at going 4 for 4 again today.

I was the only one out of those who posted their picks who went 4-0 yesterday.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 27, 2014, 05:49:15 pm
^^^^

Good analysis. But sd st played zona to 9 pts earlier this year and zona has since had a major player injured for the season. Steve fisher is very underrated. Zona should win, but i think it'll be interesting.

Another tidbit. You know Sean miller was giving Archie all he could on Stanford. Could play a role. Hoping Dayton advances.
It sounded good, didn't it? In actuality, it was dead wrong regarding Baylor vs Wisc's defense and about Stanford being too big for Dayton. Dayton ran past them all game long.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 27, 2014, 06:17:34 pm
UCLA
Stanford
Zona
Baylor
VA
Conn
MIC
LOU
Oof. 1-3. Too many upset picks.

trashcan maN

HiM, nice picks. I was dead wrong on Bay. They came out flat. I stand by the Stan pick. Didnt consider the Sean/Archie factor.

in regards to the '3 upsets' you picked:

MSU is favored in Vegas
ISU 2nd best player is hurt
11 over 10 isnt an upset

Those are all pickems :)