Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some good information on the 4-3 Defense

Started by Chief Mac, March 27, 2014, 10:56:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

LZH

That kind of stuff is fun to read.  We used to run a 5-2 in HS.  Nowadays, call it a 4-3 Under, and it looks kinda similar except you'd replace a DE with a more nimble LB.  I've long wanted a forum on here to play coach and scheme these kind of things, but apparently there is little interest outside of a few of us old film junkies.

Chief Mac

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 27, 2014, 11:03:00 am
That kind of stuff is fun to read.  We used to run a 5-2 in HS.  Nowadays, call it a 4-3 Under, and it looks kinda similar except you'd replace a DE with a more nimble LB.  I've long wanted a forum on here to play coach and scheme these kind of things, but apparently there is little interest outside of a few of us old film junkies.

The guy that wrote the article did this as well, great breakdown on why Seattle's secondary was so successful last year:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2005145-have-the-seahawks-changed-the-way-teams-are-scouting-cornerbacks-safeties#articles/2005145-have-the-seahawks-changed-the-way-teams-are-scouting-cornerbacks-safeties

Plus this on Chip Kelly's offense which has some similar concepts/purpose as Malzahn's:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1996935-chip-kelly-continues-to-assemble-offense-full-of-nightmare-matchups#articles/1996935-chip-kelly-continues-to-assemble-offense-full-of-nightmare-matchups
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 27, 2014, 12:41:53 pm
The guy that wrote the article did this as well, great breakdown on why Seattle's secondary was so successful last year:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2005145-have-the-seahawks-changed-the-way-teams-are-scouting-cornerbacks-safeties#articles/2005145-have-the-seahawks-changed-the-way-teams-are-scouting-cornerbacks-safeties

Plus this on Chip Kelly's offense which has some similar concepts/purpose as Malzahn's:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1996935-chip-kelly-continues-to-assemble-offense-full-of-nightmare-matchups#articles/1996935-chip-kelly-continues-to-assemble-offense-full-of-nightmare-matchups

I've wanted to see McFadden in an offense like Kelly's since he turned pro.  I think he'd finally turn out to be the player we all thought he would be.  He's as fast as Sproles, bigger & stronger, and can even toss it every now and then.

mhsbc59

The old coachs rule who ever has the chalk last wins on the board lol
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

LZH

Quote from: mhsbc59 on March 27, 2014, 01:36:48 pm
The old coachs rule who ever has the chalk last wins on the board lol

I heard that.

Chief Mac

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 27, 2014, 01:18:31 pm
I've wanted to see McFadden in an offense like Kelly's since he turned pro.  I think he'd finally turn out to be the player we all thought he would be.  He's as fast as Sproles, bigger & stronger, and can even toss it every now and then.

While I think McFadden would be great in Kelly's offense, I think he would be very good if he could play on a team with an offensive line ;)   Raiders sure have not done him any favors.  DMAC has had to "BYOB" alot which has physically taken a toll on him

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on March 27, 2014, 01:46:53 pm
While I think McFadden would be great in Kelly's offense, I think he would be very good if he could play on a team with an offensive line ;)   Raiders sure have not done him any favors.  DMAC has had to "BYOB" alot which has physically taken a toll on him

That is true.  I've just NEVER understood why someone hasn't tried to split him out some, or put him in the slot...ya know, move him around to a) draw the defense's attention to him b) create nightmare matchups c) get him the damn ball in some space for a change.  I think an offense like Kelly's would be a great fit - especially if you had a guy like Sproles on the field at the same time.

I mean, his contract is up I think.  So he wouldn't have to be the focal point/feature back.  He could be more of a part in a machine, if you know what I mean.  He wouldn't be expected to carry the whole load in a one or two back set.

Chief Mac

Quote from: LedZepHog on March 27, 2014, 02:05:24 pm
That is true.  I've just NEVER understood why someone hasn't tried to split him out some, or put him in the slot...ya know, move him around to a) draw the defense's attention to him b) create nightmare matchups c) get him the damn ball in some space for a change.  I think an offense like Kelly's would be a great fit - especially if you had a guy like Sproles on the field at the same time.

I mean, his contract is up I think.  So he wouldn't have to be the focal point/feature back.  He could be more of a part in a machine, if you know what I mean.  He wouldn't be expected to carry the whole load in a one or two back set.

He resigned with Oakland a few weeks ago....no one supposedly offered him as much as Oakland.  Would have loved to see him go to another team that he had a chance to be ultra-successful with

DeltaBoy

Good write up on the 43 and the 5-2-4 was popular in the 1950s when they ran it using the Eagles Umbrella with the back 4.  Coach Sonny Gordon at Holly Grove ran this during the 1950's when my Great Uncle played there.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-2-evolution-of-4-3-front/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Chief Mac

ChitownHawg

Reading these articles is giving me a headache. Is this normal?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: locusbug on March 31, 2014, 10:45:43 am
Reading these articles is giving me a headache. Is this normal?  ;D

Yes too much X and O's will give you a headache!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

trashcan maN

I'm a basketball junkie, so I wouldn't bring much to the table, but I'd love to read any X's and O's writeups you guys bring.

DeltaBoy

The 5-2-4 became popular in HS in Ark in the 1950s due to the Passing offenses that tricked down from TCU and SMU. It fell out of voge when the Pigeon Toed T, Dead T and the Eternal Wing T became more popular.

Chief Mac

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 01, 2014, 01:45:04 pm
The 5-2-4 became popular in HS in Ark in the 1950s due to the Passing offenses that tricked down from TCU and SMU. It fell out of voge when the Pigeon Toed T, Dead T and the Eternal Wing T became more popular.

our coaches called our defense a 6-2 but in retrospect it was actually a 3-4.  Our 2 "DE's" were in two-point stance and had the same responsibilities of OLBs in a 3-4.

Speaking of the Wing-T, we ran that offense like a well-oiled machine.  Only team that I watched back then that ran it better was Barton during their incredible winning streak. 

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 01, 2014, 07:48:47 pm
our coaches called our defense a 6-2 but in retrospect it was actually a 3-4.  Our 2 "DE's" were in two-point stance and had the same responsibilities of OLBs in a 3-4.

Speaking of the Wing-T, we ran that offense like a well-oiled machine.  Only team that I watched back then that ran it better was Barton during their incredible winning streak.
My hometown still runs the double wing! Last season for one of our RB/LB http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1757553/highlights/77214406

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 01, 2014, 07:48:47 pm

Barton won 110 District games in a row running it. 

I went to see Pappa Frank in the late 1990's and asked him about the Wing T he was very gracious to give me a copy of his basic playbook ............... too bad it got lost in one of my many moves over the years since.    He said the key was to ingrain the basic 7 plays and run them till they hummed like a Singer.

Chief Mac

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 02, 2014, 01:27:11 pm
Barton won 110 District games in a row running it. 

I went to see Pappa Frank in the late 1990's and asked him about the Wing T he was very gracious to give me a copy of his basic playbook ............... too bad it got lost in one of my many moves over the years since.    He said the key was to ingrain the basic 7 plays and run them till they hummed like a Singer.

That sounds about like how our system was.  Started with 3-5 plays in Pee-wee league and built on it.  We had about 5-10 basic plays that we ran more times than not and had been running them since we first put pads on.

DeltaBoy

When Frank went to Barton in the early 1970s he recruited two laymen who he taught the basics of his Wing T and 44 Stack D system to.  He got the community to sponsor a Pop Warner team in the Helena / West Helena League.  From those humble beginnings the Legend of Barton Bear Football was born.

Chief Mac

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 03, 2014, 11:44:42 am
When Frank went to Barton in the early 1970s he recruited two laymen who he taught the basics of his Wing T and 44 Stack D system to.  He got the community to sponsor a Pop Warner team in the Helena / West Helena League.  From those humble beginnings the Legend of Barton Bear Football was born.

that's how you build a program that is consistently very good or great....start them early and progressively build as they make their way through school. 

DeltaBoy

Yes and Frank was a master at it.  Another thing was Frank knew how to get kids to play HARD for him.  I went to Phillips County Community College with several of the Barton Boys and they told me  after 2 a days they did very little hitting in practice as long as they lit folks up on Friday night.  Also they practiced in Shorts and Shoulder pads only during the season.  When Barton played passing teams the would shift that 44 into a 4-2-5 set up or if they knew they had superior talent they just blitzed you to death with that 44.