Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guards held back this team, caused the road flops

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 27, 2014, 10:09:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Fred Gulley, Mardracus Wade, Kikko Haydar and Rickey Scott played 25% of minutes played by Razorback basketballers this season.

Here are their combined shares of team statistics:
1. 16% of the team's shots from the floor and free throws.
2. 13% of the team's rebounds.
3. 30% of the team's fouls
4. 26% of the steals
5. 28% of the assists
6. 15% of the turnovers
7. 15% of the points.

A quarter of the minutes, 15% of the points, 13% of the rebounds, 30% of the fouls.

Arkansas had no choice but to play these players, and they played very hard. But they were a liability in scoring and rebounding.

Define the other guards as Madden and Bell. The way Qualls has taken his game (120 3-point attempts, almost 2x steals vs. blocks, only 4.5 rebounds per game), he seems to believe he's a guard. For now, I'm not counting him.

The six guards played 45% of the team's total minutes. That means the Hogs played with three forwards more often than they used three guards. You know that's not MA's style. He still eked out 22 wins, 10 in conference.

If we look at the 1993-94 team, here's what five guards contributed:

51% of minutes and points, 50% of shots and free throw attempts, 33% of rebounds, 45% of fouls (less than their share of minutes), 64% of assists, 63% of steals.

More often than not, fouls are essentially giving away points. On our best team ever, guards had a higher share of scoring than fouls.

This year's team, six guards had 45% of minutes, 39% of points, 48% of fouls.

Limitations at guard proved to be crippling in some games, had a ton to do with the 5-10 away/neutral record, and capped the upside potential of this team. Opponents who knew how to exploit the Hogs's backcourt had their way with us.

Maybe the guard situation will be better next season. If so, then let's see how fast the Razorbacks improve.
[CENSORED]!

dsims2k3

+1 I love it. Great job on crunching the numbers.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

How much did Bell skew the shot attempts?  16 mpg and 222 shot attempts

If you did include Qualls, 301 shot attempts 2nd on the team.  Now he wouldn't have added much in fouls since he rarely played aggressive enough to pick up any. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Smithian

March 27, 2014, 10:36:58 am #3 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:04:14 am by Smithian
I think Beard comes in and combos with Madden to be a pretty good backcourt duo with Bell and Durham being the primary backups.

If Beard/Durham take time to adjust as many first year players do then the backcourt gets thin in a hurry.

Qualls taking over the 3 spot is good. Keeps the Hogs from having to play 3 guards.

I think Fred Gulley would have been really valuable on a team with more scoring options.

The Hogfather

If only we could get Hannahs, pure shooter extraordinaire, to save us!

tophawg19

our guards will always have high foul numbers from trapping . they also had a high number of assists and steals per minutes . hard to go by fouls since some are done at the end of the game . some fouls are committed to stop the clock
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

mhuff

Guards were inconsistent..... but Harris turning over the ball and taking poor shots did not help. I wondered all season if CMA had any input or they just did whatever they wanted..... everything was inconsistent. I have great hopes that Beard will play with a mission to win with team work. We looked like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde this year.

Fatty McGee

Only one guard could create his own shot - Madden, and he was more naturally a wing player.  Not necessarily a criticism, just an observation.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 10:23:40 am
How much did Bell skew the shot attempts?  16 mpg and 222 shot attempts

If you did include Qualls, 301 shot attempts 2nd on the team.  Now he wouldn't have added much in fouls since he rarely played aggressive enough to pick up any.

They're irrelevant to what he's saying, as they'll both be back next year.

We are losing 25% of the minutes and 30% of the fouls and it's only costing us 15% of the scoring, 23% of the rebounding, and 16% of the shots.

Southern Hogspitality

I agree with most of your points, but the foul situation is a lot different now then it was in the 90's.  They have really limited hand checking and it seemed this year it was nearly impossible to draw a charge. 

This change is one of a couple key reasons why I think an offense whose main catalyst for scoring is turnovers is outdated.  You can't apply the same type of defensive pressure you could 10 years ago.  If you do they will most likely be in the bonus quickly.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2014, 10:36:58 am

I think Fred Gulley would have been really valuable on a team with more scoring options.

A successful PG needs teammates capable of finishing. 

Beard has to contribute heavily next season.  Gulley had an assist to to ratio of 4-1.  Coty from the F spot was nearly 2-1.

Madden 91 assists 77 turnovers
Bell 23 assists 21 turnovers
Qualls 64 assists 51 turnovers

But Mike letting a freshman have that much control may be too much to expect of him unless he has no choice.  I could see a situation where he is stubborn about doing so.

If Qualls gets to come back, he is going to have to become more physical in addition to improving his ballhandling if he improves to being more than a streaky spot up shooter. 

The best player on the team next season will be a PF and the second best may be a center.  Depends on Madden's and Qualls'(if he is here) progressions. 

The team has a chance to be big and physical at times.  But that might would require adjusting away from the fastest 40 minutes.  SEC teams and officiating will dictate that will happen anyway. 

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 10:54:43 am
They're irrelevant to what he's saying, as they'll both be back next year.

We are losing 25% of the minutes and 30% of the fouls and it's only costing us 15% of the scoring, 23% of the rebounding, and 16% of the shots.

I'm fully [CENSORED] aware of that part of what he is saying.

Edited to not derail the thread.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MikePiazza

Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2014, 10:36:58 am
I think Beard comes in and combos with Madden to be a pretty good backcourt duo with Beard and Durham being the primary backups.

If Beard/Durham take time to adjust as many first year players do then the backcourt gets thin in a hurry.

Qualls taking over the 3 spot is good. Keeps the Hogs from having to play 3 guards.

I assume you mean Babb?
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 11:01:21 am

He also included all guards this season and that was related to my reply.  It is a conversation.  Not childish bull. 

Beard has to contribute heavily next season.  Gulley had an assist to to ratio of 4-1.  Coty from the F spot was nearly 2-1.

But Mike letting a freshman have that much control may be too much to expect of him unless he has no choice.  I could see a situation where he is stubborn about doing so.

If Qualls gets to come back, he is going to have to become more physical in addition to improving his ballhandling if he improves to being more than a streaky spot up shooter. 

The best player on the team next season will be a PF and the second best may be a center.  Depends on Madden's and Qualls'(if he is here) progressions. 

The team has a chance to be big and physical at times.  But that might would require adjusting away from the fastest 40 minutes.  SEC teams and officiating will dictate that will happen anyway.

I agree. Beard and/or Durham will be the key.

Not sure if Babb can facilitate/distribute. I think his game is more about scoring a la Madden.

Smithian

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 27, 2014, 11:01:40 am
I assume you mean Babb?
Bell actually. Not expecting much of Babb as a freshman. Long term he'll be a good one.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 11:03:59 am
I agree. Beard and/or Durham will be the key.

Not sure if Babb can facilitate/distribute. I think his game is more about scoring a la Madden.

If Babb or Durham give us anything more than a small role, it will be a bonus.  If we are relying on them for heavy minutes and production, something or some players have failed.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 11:06:09 am
If Babb or Durham give us anything more than a small role, it will be a bonus.  If we are relying on them for heavy minutes and production, something or some players have failed.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Durham heavily.

But yes, Beard seems to be the handpicked guy.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2014, 11:04:52 am
Bell actually. Not expecting much of Babb as a freshman. Long term he'll be a good one.

Agreed. Babb will need some seasoning. He's 6'4" with a good wingspan and basketball IQ. He will need some time to transition, but I think he will be a very good all-around guard for us in time.

The_Iceman

Guard Rotation next year:

PG: Beard OR Durham / Wagner
SG: Madden / Bell / Babb

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2014, 11:24:53 am
Guard Rotation next year:

PG: Beard OR Durham / Wagner
SG: Madden / Bell / Babb

PG/SG/PF/SF/C:  Hannahs

PennHOG

How much of those numbers were skewed because the whole team in general seemed to struggle with scoring in the paint?  Was it just me or did everyone struggle with making layups and the 2 foot shots.  How many times did we see our guards and our forwards make a great move to get to the basket only to miss the 1 footer.  I think having that option takes the presure off the team as a whole.  When the team doesn't believe that the inside game is an option they are left to jumpers.

I'm not a basketball expert but I thought I just ask because it seems to me to be a problem
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

popcornhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 27, 2014, 10:09:17 am
Fred Gulley, Mardracus Wade, Kikko Haydar and Rickey Scott played 25% of minutes played by Razorback basketballers this season.

4. 26% of the steals
5. 28% of the assists
6. 15% of the turnovers
7. 15% of the points.

A quarter of the minutes, 15% of the points, 13% of the rebounds, 30% of the fouls.

Arkansas had no choice but to play these players, and they played very hard. But they were a liability in scoring and rebounding.

Define the other guards as Madden and Bell. The way Qualls has taken his game (120 3-point attempts, almost 2x steals vs. blocks, only 4.5 rebounds per game), he seems to believe he's a guard. For now, I'm not counting him.

The six guards played 45% of the team's total minutes. That means the Hogs played with three forwards more often than they used three guards. You know that's not MA's style. He still eked out 22 wins, 10 in conference.

51% of minutes and points, 50% of shots and free throw attempts, 33% of rebounds, 45% of fouls (less than their share of minutes), 64% of assists, 63% of steals.

More often than not, fouls are essentially giving away points. On our best team ever, guards had a higher share of scoring than fouls.

Limitations at guard proved to be crippling in some games, had a ton to do with the 5-10 away/neutral record, and capped the upside potential of this team. Opponents who knew how to exploit the Hogs's backcourt had their way with us.

Maybe the guard situation will be better next season. If so, then let's see how fast the Razorbacks improve.

Fouls and assists are the most damaging here.

The guards should be averaging easily over 30% of the assists even at 25% of the minutes.
WPS

hogfan10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 27, 2014, 10:09:17 am

4. 26% of the steals
5. 28% of the assists
6. 15% of the turnovers
7. 15% of the points.

The problem isn't the minutes they played or their production in points, rebounds, etc. The problem is that on too many occassions we had more than 1 of those guys in the game at the same time. They are compliment players, and should be used as such. Instead of wholesale subs, we should use these guys to give 1 a blow, while we still have a proven scorer, rebounder, etc. at at least 1 of the guard spots.

In Anderson's system Qualls is a guard (regardless of how you label him), if that isn't Anderson's intent, then he needs to correct Qualls' floor decisions. The problem is he has no handles (can't dribble, much less in traffic), and he doesn't use his athletic ability to help us on the boards.

popcornhog

Edited to not derail the thread.

What does "if Qualls gets to come back" mean?
WPS

hogfan10

Quote from: PennHOG on March 27, 2014, 11:36:11 am
How much of those numbers were skewed because the whole team in general seemed to struggle with scoring in the paint?  Was it just me or did everyone struggle with making layups and the 2 foot shots.  How many times did we see our guards and our forwards make a great move to get to the basket only to miss the 1 footer.  I think having that option takes the presure off the team as a whole.  When the team doesn't believe that the inside game is an option they are left to jumpers.

I'm not a basketball expert but I thought I just ask because it seems to me to be a problem

In my opinion we drive the basket expecting a foul (contorting ourselves into all kinds of positions), not trying to score. If we would go strong, we would make more shots, or get the foul.

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on March 27, 2014, 11:43:03 am
What does "if Qualls gets to come back" mean?

Rumor of a Hogville poster who heard from a friend that knows a guy that dated a girl who is best friends with a girl Qualls hooked up with that thinks Qualls is going overseas to support a child he has.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PennHOG on March 27, 2014, 11:36:11 am

It is partially an unwillingness to try.  It is the system.  698 3pt attempts this season is the most since Nolan's next to last season.  Most in the SEC.  639 last season.  580 in 11-12.

3 pt attempts for Mike's Mizzou teams:

For reference, Creighton shot 800+. 

This reliance on the 3pt shot is another example of the guard dominated system and why I have my doubts that the opportunity the program has with Portis and Kingsley will be wasted to an extent.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2014, 11:45:12 am
Rumor of a Hogville poster who heard from a friend that knows a guy that dated a girl who is best friends with a girl Qualls hooked up with that thinks Qualls is going overseas to support a child he has.

Ahhhh. One of those.
WPS

Smithian

Correct. I think Fred Gulley would have been a very good PG on that 05-06 team. He is good defensively and smart with the ball. He would have probably averaged 4 or 5 assists just dishing to Brewer, Modica, and open bigs.

mbgrulz

The good news is that guards usually take much less time to adapt to the speed of the game than bigs.

I wouldn't be shocked if Babb was an instant upgrade over our graduating guards. I feel pretty safe that Beard will be. None of them can score like he can.

Of all 4 of them, Gulley is the only one who I'd want back, but only as a sub.

JONAS

Quote from: Rah! Rah! on March 27, 2014, 10:56:18 am
I agree with most of your points, but the foul situation is a lot different now then it was in the 90's.  They have really limited hand checking and it seemed this year it was nearly impossible to draw a charge. 

This change is one of a couple key reasons why I think an offense whose main catalyst for scoring is turnovers is outdated.  You can't apply the same type of defensive pressure you could 10 years ago.  If you do they will most likely be in the bonus quickly.   

I agree.  We need stronger post players and better shooters.  We need to be able to play halfcourt ball.  Bell can shoot but was very inconsistant.  He shot well at home.  On the road, if he missed his first shot then he would be off all night.

Atlhogfan1

The Hogs 3pt % this season(36.4%) is the highest since 2004-5(37.2%).

FG% and 3pt % defense improved from last season. 

Turnovers caused did not especially in SEC play.  Defensive rebounding did not improve in SEC play. 

The 852 FTA's by our opponents is the most since 95 when we played 39 games.  It is the most per game since Nolan's last team and far more than any season for the past 8 seasons.  The positive is though we were only -6 compared to our opponents in attempts. 

Danny J

ArkansasI

I appreciate the statistical analysis, but I am wondering some how it is affected by other players on the floor.  I think it is tough to isolate issues to positions with all the human factors involved.

Would these guards have had different/better statistics with Dwight, Corliss, Darnell, Lee, etc. in the frontcourt?

I think the problem runs deeper than our guard play.  In fact, I am fairly convinced that Moses is going to make all of our guards a lot better next year.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Very good analysis, definitely shows we were weak at the guard position especially at the point, being that Anderson was a PG you would think this position would have been priority to fix, obviously next year he seems to have addressed this situation.

bigredone

The toughest thing for the new guards to learn will be the defensive side. They will have to learn to anticipate what their teammates will do with regards to trapping which will continue to be Coach Anderson's focus. Anyone thinking that the Hogs are going to slow down as a strategy is insane. They may be forced to slow in tactical situations, but the game plan will be the same. Coach Anderson most likely understands that one of the reasons Heath was let go here was a lack of butts in the seats. Coach Anderson not only has to win, he has to provide interesting basketball to fill Bud Walton Arena.

That being said the offensive end should be easier for the newcomers. A good passing point guard is good regardless of system employed. The numbers show were did not have this type of specialist and should have an answer next year with the newcomers.

Uptempo will be better for a good shooter in that he will get more open shots as was shown this season, we just did not have the guy that was a consistent shooter. We did not have a player that would dominate in a 3 point shooting contest. I am not sure we have that coming in next year either. Hopefully a true point guard will negate the need for a pure shooter.

mhuff

March 27, 2014, 02:53:02 pm #36 Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:45:43 pm by mhuff
Quote from: mbgrulz on March 27, 2014, 12:18:30 pm
The good news is that guards usually take much less time to adapt to the speed of the game than bigs.

I wouldn't be shocked if Babb was an instant upgrade over our graduating guards. I feel pretty safe that Beard will be. None of them can score like he can.

Of all 4 of them, Gulley is the only one who I'd want back, but only as a sub.

Gulley probably did not get the credit he deserved. He came to us with the reputation of being a good defensive player who would not score significant points. I believe he did well..... Proud of him.

Madden is one of my favorite players; however, his shot selection is lacking and he does not give enough assists. I know he had the most assists on the team, but he should. Plus, it only computes to less than 3 a game. I think Beard will do a better job... Still proud of KY. He will rebound..... He just needs a little more improvement. He will not play in the NBA if he can't or won't hit the open man...... and not force it. He may play overseas.... I just wish to see him reach his fullest potential.

tophawg19

fair assessment Ark1. Could be that more dependable inside play helps the guards . I've never seen so many missed lay ups and 5 ft or less shots
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogfan1660

pigture perfect

Our guards did some things really well. The problem with the fouls has a direct correlation to hand checking. During the hay day hand checking was allowed, but now it's not and we need to adjust. I'm a big fan of the trapping, but you can expect fouls there as well. To me the key is to have our guards penetrate and make the other team foul just as much.

Next season will come soon enough and I hope our freshmen can come in and be studly.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

J-co

Arkansas had the worse Guard play in the sec. non of these guards could create there on shots or create off the dribble  or knock down shots on a consistent basics. so glad they will be gone.

Biggus Piggus

Almost all of the guards were bad at layups. The scoring part hurt enough, but combine it with really poor rebounding, and it doomed the Hogs in certain matchups. Such as Cal.
[CENSORED]!

phadedhawg

+1...great number crunching. 

And I totally agree.  Our guards can't feed the ball inside.  No drive penetration skills either and outside shooting was streaky at best and never good on the road. 

After watching all the NCAAT teams play it's glaringly obvious how much our team lacks.  Those guards play aggressive on the offensive end.  They can also finish.  Even when our team did all the "right things" they lacked the skill to finish. 

But those are things that can be corrected with recruiting.  Two good guards would have been enough to get us to the Big Dance.  Here's hoping that's next year.

I will say this though, this year's team was good enough for me to care again.  That is an accomplishment because I had forgotten how much I love basketball.