Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas will make NCAA next season, here's a couple reasons why..

Started by Modsquad24, March 27, 2014, 07:00:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

two things we have playing on our side, one we will no doubt have a far more talented roster in MA's 4th yr, but you gotta look beyond that and dig a little deeper.....true college basketball fans know, we are going to get 5-6 NCAA bids next year as a conference...there is no possible way after disrespecting us, giving us 3 bids, all 3 going to sweet sixteen, when every other conference has faltered, that they ignore us this next year!

SEC went out and earned that respect this year. We basically took it out of their hand, committee will look dumb ignoring that, when proof is in the pudding! A10 6 bids WTH ever!

three hog night

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

popcornhog

Quote from: Modsquad24 on March 27, 2014, 07:00:22 am
two things we have playing on our side, one we will no doubt have a far more talented roster in MA's 4th yr, but you gotta look beyond that and dig a little deeper.....true college basketball fans know, we are going to get 5-6 NCAA bids next year as a conference...there is no possible way after disrespecting us, giving us 3 bids, all 3 going to sweet sixteen, when every other conference has faltered, that they ignore us this next year!

SEC went out and earned that respect this year. We basically took it out of their hand, committee will look dumb ignoring that, when proof is in the pudding! A10 6 bids WTH ever!

Knowing that we'll get 5-6 is quite a statement.

It's pretty clear we'll have more than 2 locks and a play in bid though.

That being said, the burden is still on everyone other than UK and UF to prove it next year. I assume Stokes will leave UT -- I'm not sure which, if any, of their starters are seniors.

Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU, UGA, Tennessee -- these teams still have to prove their worth next year.

It's not like the SEC is owning the NIT. Yes, the three teams in the NCAA's are proving their quality, but all of our NIT teams are done.

I'm not being a megative Nancy, but to "prove" that the sec teams that didn't go dancing should have gone dancing -- winning more than one NIT game each would've made a stronger statement.

That said -- I am as close to certain as I have been in a long time that the Hogs will dance next year.
WPS

The Hogfather

Solid point, but the national media, fans of teams outside of the SEC (heck, I've heard local radio guys and some of our fans say it), and committee members are all saying, "Just because Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee haven't lost in the NCAAT, doesn't mean the SEC was better than we thought.  UK and Tennessee are finally starting to put it together at the right time.  These three teams are good, but the rest of the SEC was crap."

gmarv

Dr. Starcs

Committee and media will choose to forget this year and it'll be the same thing next year. Big 10, acc, big 12 will continue to be overrated. We might get 4 in.

I think that's why it's important the sec coaches get out and campaign for the conference. Everyone else does.

jusgtohogs

IMHO, the Hogs have to make a run into the NCAA tournament--more than 1 game--next year.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 08:08:21 am
Solid point, but the national media, fans of teams outside of the SEC (heck, I've heard local radio guys and some of our fans say it), and committee members are all saying, "Just because Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee haven't lost in the NCAAT, doesn't mean the SEC was better than we thought.  UK and Tennessee are finally starting to put it together at the right time.  These three teams are good, but the rest of the SEC was crap."
They can't have it both ways. can't say we beat KY twice and it means nothing. then turn around and say us losing to bad teams count more. the NIT Final 4. we beat 3 of the 4 teams.((SMU,Clemson and Minnesota)and the other team FSU lost to Minnesota by 10 points.so that's bullcrap. NC. State had 13 losses. they had no business in the Dance this year.

Modsquad24

Here's the deal I get the love for all major conferences, minus A 10, there is no way they should be a six bid league over sec...that's just bias

Wild Bill Hog

We need to earn it on the court and let everyone else - SEC included - fend for themselves.  Take it out of the committee's hands completely.

Modsquad24

Now if you wanna do a 5/4 split between the leagues ok, 6/3 not so much

root_hawg

Florida could win NC and play one of the other ones in the game and it would NOT MATTER ONE BIT! 

Danny J

Quote from: root_hawg on March 27, 2014, 08:21:03 pm
Florida could win NC and play one of the other ones in the game and it would NOT MATTER ONE BIT!
^^^^ Exactly right!

The SEC needs to stand up for itself as a league the same way the other leagues did in football and forced a playoff system. The SEC sits idly by and does nothing. If they don't respect basketball enough to do something it certainly isn't going to be given.

As I mentioned in a thread I started CBS keeps flashing and mentioning over and over "The Big Ten has 3 teams in the sweet 16" as though they are the only conference to do that this year. What about the SEC and Pac 12? Each have 3 teams. The 3 big Ten teams are a #2, 3 and 4 seeds so I guess in the eyes of CBS that is SHOCKING AND BREAKING NEWS!!!! The SEC has a 1, 8 and 11 seed and yet that is not surprising?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Modsquad24 on March 27, 2014, 07:58:53 pm
Now if you wanna do a 5/4 split between the leagues ok, 6/3 not so much
The ACC should have had 5 teams in not 6. Nc.State has no business in with 13 losses no matter what coach K said the day before selection Sunday. the A10 had to many team in. George Washington and Umass looked terrible. and BYU should not have been in.BYU did not have as many good wins than Arkansas. and had some bad losses like Arkansas. this selection committee did a terrible job of picking teams and of seeding them.

cityhog

And not 1 SEC team in the NIT advanced out of the second round. Pump the brakes.

root_hawg

One has nothing to do with the other; Florida expected to get there and KY is a perennial power so that doesn't change anything

Adam Stokes

Florida going undefeated also hurt the league a lot.  That caused a lot of quality wins to not be gained.  Had we had the same conference record but lost an extra game to LSU and beat Florida we would've been a lot closer to the bubble line.

Atlhogfan1

The 2014 tournament will not affect the 2015 tournament.  You don't get to carry over anything you do from this season or how your conference does in the postseason.  The SEC will get more teams if it schedules better, wins more non conference games against better competition and teams separate themselves during the SEC part of the season.  Mizzou, Arkansas, LSU and UGa failed in these areas this season.  Florida, UT and UK winning in 2014 isn't going to help the 2015 resumes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 27, 2014, 10:40:14 pm
Atlhogfan1,

I respectfully disagree on this.  I know there is nothing official that recognizes how a conference performed last year (and how it might effect bids this year) but I have to believe it works on the committee members somewhere in the recesses of their mind(s). 

I also think Adam's point is spot on as well.

Adam has a point about Florida.  However, our NCAAT chances weren't killed by Florida but rather A&M, Bama and South Carolina + the ooc schedule.  SEC teams have to put themselves in position for the committee to debate.  RPI's of 69 and higher including SOS's even higher would not allow how our conference did in the previous season to creep into their minds if it would.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Your league cannot have multiple losses to teams like USC-upstate

That and Florida going 21-0 plus the sec tournament does not help.

Plus, with the nit final four it just strengthen my argument that this team did not progress during the season. You guys all want to beat your chest that we bet smu , clemson, and Minnesota.

When did we beat them that is right November & December.  On our home court & a neutral court   If I team that could beat quality teams like early in the season, then it should have had a better in conference record and progressed to be in the NCAA tournament.

Plus, we should not be looking at other teams for the  programs self worth.

a true evaluation is got better in some areas, there are areas that still need improving.  But overall, did not reach the goal for the year.

Now some are going to say that is according to me. No, coach Anderson said year three is when special things happen. Now the question is, is an nit bid a special thing to him. Because it is not to me
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Temprees

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 08:08:21 am
That argument doesn't quite fly, because Tennessee was given a play-in game, and Kentucky was an 8 seed.  The committee didn't think much of either team because they came from the SEC.

Temprees

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 10:28:26 pm
The 2014 tournament will not affect the 2015 tournament.  You don't get to carry over anything you do from this season or how your conference does in the postseason.  The SEC will get more teams if it schedules better, wins more non conference games against better competition and teams separate themselves during the SEC part of the season.  Mizzou, Arkansas, LSU and UGa failed in these areas this season.  Florida, UT and UK winning in 2014 isn't going to help the 2015 resumes. 
So, you believe that NC St. and BYU fit that criteria.  I think not. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 27, 2014, 10:25:40 pm
Florida going undefeated also hurt the league a lot.  That caused a lot of quality wins to not be gained.  Had we had the same conference record but lost an extra game to LSU and beat Florida we would've been a lot closer to the bubble line.

Sad thing is, we were RIGHT THERE!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 10:28:26 pm
The 2014 tournament will not affect the 2015 tournament.  You don't get to carry over anything you do from this season or how your conference does in the postseason.

The SEC doesn't, but every other league does.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Temprees on March 28, 2014, 06:56:07 am
So, you believe that NC St. and BYU fit that criteria.  I think not.

Well neither are SEC teams so they can't.  Each had better resumes than did the SEC teams.  BYU smartly scheduled a strong ooc(non conf SOS #3) to offset their conference SOS.  Their RPI was similar to S Miss but when broken down there was no contest in SOS or good wins.  NC St's win over Syracuse gave the committee a reason to put them in with their 3rd top 50 and 1st top 25 win.  Among the others they were choosing from: LT, SM, SMU, Cal, FSU, Minnesota, etc none of which were good choices either.  The committee has been sending the SOS message for years.  Some programs have accepted it.  Many in the SEC haven't which the conference itseld will try and fix going forward.  Only Minnesota out of this group had better non conf and overall SOS than NC St.  The committee has to use something to distinguish.  And I know, the numbers are flawed and our fans want to dismiss them which is your choice.  The committee doesn't. 

SEC NIT teams' non conf SOS:
UGa 128
Mizzou 149
LSU 186
Arkansas 199

To my point, schedule better, which looks like it will be fixed going forward, in addition to winning against the better competition and separate themselves in conference play.  Arkansas was able to separate itself with the second UK win before the Bama and SC games negated it.  Combined with only one top 50 ooc win and a non conf SOS of 199 and overall of 98 and the Hogs had no shot at the NCAAT no matter how well SEC teams did the previous 20 years in the NCAAT.

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 27, 2014, 09:09:15 pm
Even you Joe should be on the basketball team's case for such a lousy OOC schedule.  That was a large contributing factor to the team not making the NCAA. 

I disagree. If the Hogs had finished strong by beating Bama and South Carolina, they would have been an NCAA Tournament Lock IMHO so the OOC conference thing does not apply.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Champs04

Don't need reasons why, just win and we will be in. No excuses just win.

Smithian

Arkansas should have copied Tennessee and finished strong. That way we could be in the tourney instead of pounding our chest over UF, UK, and Tenn's achievements.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on March 28, 2014, 06:05:09 am
Your league cannot have multiple losses to teams like USC-upstate

That and Florida going 21-0 plus the sec tournament does not help.

Plus, with the nit final four it just strengthen my argument that this team did not progress during the season. You guys all want to beat your chest that we bet smu , clemson, and Minnesota.

When did we beat them that is right November & December.  On our home court & a neutral court   If I team that could beat quality teams like early in the season, then it should have had a better in conference record and progressed to be in the NCAA tournament.

Plus, we should not be looking at other teams for the  programs self worth.

a true evaluation is got better in some areas, there are areas that still need improving.  But overall, did not reach the goal for the year.

Now some are going to say that is according to me. No, coach Anderson said year three is when special things happen. Now the question is, is an nit bid a special thing to him. Because it is not to me
Wrong again.all 3 but one final 4  nit teams won all their NIT games at home.if we had been seeding at home, we would be in NY. it has nothing to do with them getting better and us not getting better. this team got a lot better as the year went on. your Mike Anderson hate just will not let you get over the fact that he is not getting fired. get over it.your idea that this team this not get better is a joke.

hogman99

Oh, I would love to have Stauskas of Michigan and Stokes from Tennessee on our team.  They are basketball players that really understand how to play the game.

SexyBeast77

Arkansas will have some different players jacking up 3s next year and some of the same players jacking up 3s. They will have the same inconsistent results.

code red

There  were 3 teams in the SEC.  That's it...it proved nothing about the league.  UF going undefeated speaks volumes to how poor this league really was.  We will not make the NCAA next year simply because we have no defense or rebounding.  We are not tough and let's face it.  With the hire of Pearl at Auburn...Mike maybe the 6th best coach in the league.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

root_hawg

I dunno about 6th but still think we make the tourney next year; not high seed but make the tourney

High Octane Hog

I sure hope so. They got some egg on their face this year

root_hawg

They won't get 5 or 6; I will put money on that right now...maybe 4 but that is it

Modsquad24

Oh 5 is very possible, we were projected for 5 at one time by joe lunardi this year, until mizzou and ark wilted down the stretch..

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 28, 2014, 07:47:56 pm
Wrong again.all 3 but one final 4  nit teams won all their NIT games at home.if we had been seeding at home, we would be in NY. it has nothing to do with them getting better and us not getting better. this team got a lot better as the year went on. your Mike Anderson hate just will not let you get over the fact that he is not getting fired. get over it.your idea that this team this not get better is a joke.

always an if with you fcj.  plus, according to you guys, we can win on the road now.( you keep pounding your chest about sweeping uk) 

and the team we played was missing one of their best players

plus, notice  you didn't say anything coach anderson said this was the season when special things happen.

i guess special to you is the nit.

keep on hating the truth.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

thegreatone

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 11:36:09 am
always an if with you fcj.  plus, according to you guys, we can win on the road now.( you keep pounding your chest about sweeping uk) 

and the team we played was missing one of their best players

plus, notice  you didn't say anything coach anderson said this was the season when special things happen.

i guess special to you is the nit.

keep on hating the truth.
No you keep hating Mike Anderson, and hoping he fails. (which he won't)he is building the program the right way. so you may as well get use to him being the coach. he's not going anywhere any time soon.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Voting proved right, the right SEC teams made it to the Tourney and went deep, the others made it to the NIT and got bounced early.  I do believe we see at least 1 more team in the Tourney next year and that will be us, but we won't remotely be the same team next year.

Sharky

Two things.

(1) If we want more teams in the tourney, our conference teams need to play tougher non-conference schedules, which impacts RPI for the entire SEC. It's not the perception of a weak SEC that only gets 3 teams in; it's the SEC's odd refusal to play the RPI game and schedule tougher non-con games. We just have to show that the SEC isn't weak. We aren't. Stop with the conspiracy theories already.

(2) Wow. There are a lot of psychics on this thread!

tomw

the proof is in the pudding alright, but lets us see the proof on the floor first before going after the pudding....

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 29, 2014, 03:29:40 pm
No you keep hating Mike Anderson, and hoping he fails. (which he won't)he is building the program the right way. so you may as well get use to him being the coach. he's not going anywhere any time soon.

I agree - no one is going anywhere any time soon.  Not JL, not BB, not MA, not DVH.  We need to get used to this fact, and support our Hogs.

hogsanity

Still have to win enough games to get a bid.  Saying the sec will get X # of bids is fine, but a team with a bad ooc schedule, and 10-8 in the sec is still going to be on the bubble. Winning At SMU, and At Clemson would be big helps to the rpi, bpi, I Spy, or whatever metric they use next year. But you still can't come down to the last week with 20 wins, lose badly in your last road game, and then go 1 and done in the sect and expect to get in. I still think next year a team is going to have to win 11 sec games, and go darn near perfect with what our ooc schedule is proabably look like, to get in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE