Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's how I look at this season.

Started by PoormansRobbyHampton, March 27, 2014, 02:33:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PoormansRobbyHampton

Obviously on the night of the Ole Miss game some of us went right out and started buying Sweet 16 tickets and things like that because we probably felt unbeatable.

We know what happened after that too. We lost three out of our last four, with the only win coming against a lame Indiana State team at home in the NIT. How depressing, right?

But you have to remember, we lost our top two scorers from last year's team and were somehow better.

Nobody likes being in the NIT, and there's no excuse for losing to Alabama or South Carolina, let alone both of them.

But I was legitimately worried about who was going to score the ball before the season with BJ and Marshawn leaving. That ended up being a problem on some nights, but we were able to get a lot out of our kids.

Looking forward to next year, it at least looks like we're replacing everything that we're losing, and we may be just a pinch better if Anton Beard can come in and run the offense and hit some three-pointers.

If Anthlon and Alandise can find some sort of consistency and absorb Coty's minutes, then we're handled there as well.

Everyone, including myself, is confused about some of our losses down the stretch, but if we're all honest with ourselves, we took another step forward this year. The NIT is nothing to celebrate, but it's better than sitting at home as well. We'll be better in the long run for this trip, I truly believe that.

Southern Hogspitality

I am not sure if we took a step forward after this season, that is the most frustrating part.  Before our last 4 games I absolutely thought we were heading in the right direction, but the wheels falling off so quickly and severely the last four games has me concerned out run of success is not sustainable.  I also think we are going to have a very hard time replacing a Clarke and Wade.  I think they contributed a lot more than most of us realized.  If Harris can mature and stop making bad turnovers he can be a big factor next year.

It just baffles me that we don't have a legitimate shooter (Bell can be good but has no consistency).  And we will abandon Portis when he is our only offense in some games.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rah! Rah! on March 27, 2014, 11:29:12 am
I am not sure if we took a step forward after this season, that is the most frustrating part.

Year 1: 18-14 (6-10): No post-season, one road win, 9th in SEC.
Year 2: 19-13 (10-8): No post-season, one road win, 7th in SEC.
Year 3: 22-12 (10-8): NIT, 3 road wins, 5th in SEC.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rah! Rah! on March 27, 2014, 11:29:12 am
I am not sure if we took a step forward after this season, that is the most frustrating part.  Before our last 4 games I absolutely thought we were heading in the right direction, but the wheels falling off so quickly and severely the last four games has me concerned out run of success is not sustainable.  I also think we are going to have a very hard time replacing a Clarke and Wade.  I think they contributed a lot more than most of us realized.  If Harris can mature and stop making bad turnovers he can be a big factor next year.

It just baffles me that we don't have a legitimate shooter (Bell can be good but has no consistency). And we will abandon Portis when he is our only offense in some games.

Something that isn't being discussed.  Perhaps the belief or hope is the incoming guards will be conscious of Portis and get him touches.  The best post feeder we had was Rickey Scott.  You could see it in the angles he took in feeding the post.  If he could have been a decent FT shooter and played in a different system, he could have been a good college PG. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WMHawgfan

The best way for me to capture the season is this.

The appetizer was a bit dissapointing.
The entree was good and had us ready for dessert.
We were ready for a delicious chocolate souffle and it ended up being dirt pudding.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2014, 11:34:25 am

Year 1: 18-14 (6-10): No post-season, one road win, 9th in SEC.
Year 2: 19-13 (10-8): No post-season, one road win, 7th in SEC.
Year 3: 22-12 (10-8): NIT, 3 road wins, 5th in SEC.

It is impossible to make a truly compelling argument for us NOT improving this year.  We are moving in the right direction, I just wish it was a little quicker.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 27, 2014, 11:55:10 am
It is impossible to make a truly compelling argument for us NOT improving this year.  We are moving in the right direction, I just wish it was a little quicker.

No doubt. I expected an NCAA appearance before this season. While the NIT is not that, it is still a step forward for this program, especially after losing 65% of your scoring from last season.

Year 4 = No NCAA = No support for Mike from me.

MikePiazza

I'm anxious to see next year's schedule.

I know they have road games at SMU and Clemson, and then one against a TBD Big 12 opponent.

I could handle going 1-2 in those games because they can make up for it in SEC play, and it won't be a deer-in-the-headlights SEC start at A&M hopefully.

Gotta schedule some semi-quality opponents at BWA that fans actually want to go see. Gonna be disappointed if it's SIU-Edwardsville, Savannah State, High Point, Tennessee-Martin and UT-San Antonio again.

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

bigredone

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 27, 2014, 03:42:15 pm
I'm anxious to see next year's schedule.

I know they have road games at SMU and Clemson, and then one against a TBD Big 12 opponent.

I could handle going 1-2 in those games because they can make up for it in SEC play, and it won't be a deer-in-the-headlights SEC start at A&M hopefully.

Gotta schedule some semi-quality opponents at BWA that fans actually want to go see. Gonna be disappointed if it's SIU-Edwardsville, Savannah State, High Point, Tennessee-Martin and UT-San Antonio again.

They need to talk to whoever is responsibe for WSU's schedule. We could learn a few lessons from them in scheduling. Basketball, not so much as I much prefer Anderson.

Kevin

since the guys from usa today called the schedule this year a typical anderson schedule, then, i say it will be about the same.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MikePiazza

Here's some opponents that should be given a look if they have a spot, IMO.

UTEP
Robert Morris
Murray State
Northwestern State
Oral Roberts
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee State
Tulsa
Towson
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Polecat

IMHO, Harris either needs to post up exclusively next year or work the next 7 months on ball handling ... like 4 hours a day. Way too many turnovers when he dribbles
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2014, 03:52:38 pm
since the guys from usa today called the schedule this year a typical anderson schedule, then, i say it will be about the same.

Anderson: "I think our (non-con) schedule was good for this particular team. Next year it'll get tougher. But you've got to win those games."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2014, 04:09:13 pm
Anderson: "I think our (non-con) schedule was good for this particular team. Next year it'll get tougher. But you've got to win those games."

Haven't figured out how it was good for this particular team.  It was nothing.  Not bad(unless you look at it in terms of SOS), not good.  It was mostly a waste of time for this particular team.  Did nothing to help their postseason resume.  Certainly did nothing to prepare them for SEC play.  The one team they faced with a good frontcourt and Mike didn't even play Kingsley.  Qualls got a false sense of how good he is by dominating lesser athletes.  Harris had no idea what he was going to face in terms of frontcourt players in a power conference.  He refused to play Wade.  Kept playing Bell who did nothing after the first few games.  It is like the team had to start over in SEC play and finally didn't start getting "fixed" until he inserted Wade and finally dealt with Qualls. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.