Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Name a team(s) who could be a good rival that we consider to be regular team.

Started by Sweet Feet, March 27, 2014, 12:04:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 29, 2014, 07:26:38 pm
I work with some older fans and have had the pleasure of meeting several of the older Longhorn players from the SWC days and they have all said that the big game every year for them was Arkansas. They are mostly donors and behind the scenes type of people I have met and not at all flashy or arrogant. Several have mentioned renewing the series with Arkansas as it meant a lot to people from the days of the SWC.

I seriously doubt anybody I have met has the ability to catch the ear of people who do make these decisions but one never knows. The few former players I met were adamant that Arkansas was their real rivalry and would always be to them.

OK, yeah I understand that and Arkansas-Texas used to be a big game every year. I agree with that. But since the end of the series, I was pretty much under the impression that Texas has gotten so big for their britches that playing us is of little value to them.

Personallly, I would absolutely love to have an ongoing series of games, say a 10 year home and home agreement, with the Shorthorns. But I am afraid that ship has sailed.

If we are talking about establishing an ongoing home and home series with an OOC opponent, I vote for Oklahoma State. As I said before, we have a history with them and from 1942 to 1980 (38 years) we played them 32 times and 27 of those times in Little Rock.

Now that they have elevated their status, this would be a worthy OOC game for us and they are close enough (3 hours) that it would be easy for both fan bases to travel well.

They could be a natural regional rival for us. I like developing a rivalry with them much more than with Missouri for recruiting purposes given that Missouri rarely develops anymore in-state FBS level talent than we do. Plus, I think that on a ongoing basis we would get more value out of a win over Okla State than we would out of Missouri. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Missouri just isn't a rival.  Throwing them into the division isn't going to create a rivalry.  They're simply not a tradition rich program. They'd fit better in the Big 10.

I always thought we should have played Oklahoma and Texas every year.

hogcard1964

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 29, 2014, 11:38:48 pm

I dread Ark being considered a Rival to Mizzou as a out of state fan

I guess I need to get ready to watch this breakfast game on ESPN3 instead of the prim time with friends at a bar on Black Friday vs LSU

I will miss the game with LSU because it almost always had SEC and national bowl game implications - now with the LSU game moved it will not have the same apparent bowl implications and impact as it did on Black Friday - 

Now - my are we that insignificant that we are paired with - Mizxou ?k

Maybe we deserve this - because we are so bad right now

It should be a great tailgate fir N/W Ark

As a out if state fan - I'm saddened  because I can't see this game being of any importance outside the Ozarks

The SEC front office just assured Ark is in a end of season TV viewing  blackout

This doesn't help us at all

Just win the darn thing and get ready for a bowl game

'

I was under the impression that this matchup/rivalry game wasn't necessarily permanent?

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2014, 09:59:24 am
Missouri just isn't a rival.  Throwing them into the division isn't going to create a rivalry.  They're simply not a tradition rich program. They'd fit better in the Big 10.

I always thought we should have played Oklahoma and Texas every year.

Oh good grief. Lets just play Ohio st and Fla st too, I mean it's not like our conf sched is hard or anything..
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on March 29, 2014, 11:38:48 pm

I dread Ark being considered a Rival to Mizzou as a out of state fan

I guess I need to get ready to watch this breakfast game on ESPN3 instead of the prim time with friends at a bar on Black Friday vs LSU

I will miss the game with LSU because it almost always had SEC and national bowl game implications - now with the LSU game moved it will not have the same apparent bowl implications and impact as it did on Black Friday - 

Now - my are we that insignificant that we are paired with - Mizxou ?k

Maybe we deserve this - because we are so bad right now

It should be a great tailgate fir N/W Ark

As a out if state fan - I'm saddened  because I can't see this game being of any importance outside the Ozarks

The SEC front office just assured Ark is in a end of season TV viewing  blackout

This doesn't help us at all

Just win the darn thing and get ready for a bowl game
Of all the crappy things our fans have had to endure over the last two years, I think this move is the worst.
The ONE recruiting feather in our cap is now gone - replaced by a game that MIGHT mean something once a decade.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogsnort

Call it what you want...we will always be a pain in the rear for LSU, no matter when the game is scheduled. And they know it.

60 Minutes of Hell

I think we should play Bama every year.  I mean heck, they're already on the schedule.
What a fool I used to be.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on March 30, 2014, 01:18:02 pm
Oh good grief. Lets just play Ohio st and Fla st too, I mean it's not like our conf sched is hard or anything..

Could we be in the wrong conference?   :(

Hogsnort

Quote from: 60 Minutes of Hell on March 30, 2014, 02:24:29 pm
I think we should play Bama every year.  I mean heck, they're already on the schedule.
FWIW...I was responding to the original post:
QuoteName a team(s) who could be a good rival that we consider to be regular team.
QuoteIve heard OK State, ive heard TCU, even Wisconsin because of the ties. But what schools you think could be good rival games to arkansas if given time and consistency?
I guess I missed the part about it having to be a non regularly scheduled game.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 30, 2014, 05:40:13 am
OK, yeah I understand that and Arkansas-Texas used to be a big game every year. I agree with that. But since the end of the series, I was pretty much under the impression that Texas has gotten so big for their britches that playing us is of little value to them.

Personallly, I would absolutely love to have an ongoing series of games, say a 10 year home and home agreement, with the Shorthorns. But I am afraid that ship has sailed.

If we are talking about establishing an ongoing home and home series with an OOC opponent, I vote for Oklahoma State. As I said before, we have a history with them and from 1942 to 1980 (38 years) we played them 32 times and 27 of those times in Little Rock.

Now that they have elevated their status, this would be a worthy OOC game for us and they are close enough (3 hours) that it would be easy for both fan bases to travel well.

They could be a natural regional rival for us. I like developing a rivalry with them much more than with Missouri for recruiting purposes given that Missouri rarely develops anymore in-state FBS level talent than we do. Plus, I think that on a ongoing basis we would get more value out of a win over Okla State than we would out of Missouri. JMO

I agree that Oklahoma State would be a great regional rivalry. Not trying to say they wouldn't. But in the past 10 years or so I would have rather played Texas just because Ok State has been the better program of the 2 and would have given us more trouble. Now that Charlie Strong is at Texas Im not sure how that is gonna play out but Id bet he turns that program around 100% for the better.

If we cant find some sort of identity on the hill, im not sure we need to be looking at perennial top 25 teams to play every year. Our schedule is already difficult enough just going through the SEC gauntlet.

Honestly I would like to see the first game of the year become a yearly game versus Arkansas State at War Memorial. Call it the governors bowl or kick off classic or whatever but it could be a huge draw that the Hogs should win 9/10 times.

What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2014, 03:59:17 pm
Could we be in the wrong conference?   :(

No, but if we were in the big12 some of our fans would want the ooc games to be bama, lsu, Aub and fla.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dark Helmet Hog

How can it be anything other than Texas? My first game was the 1981 Texas game. Anyone witnessing a game like that and the atmosphere should know the answer to this.

I can only what the 69 shootout would have felt like watching it in person. How can there be another rival after this game? It's in our soul as Hog fans.

hogsanity

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 30, 2014, 08:09:28 pm
I realize this probably wasn't directed at me but I have been after Arkansas to upgrade their OOC schedule for many years.  The 2013 OOC schedule was a joke and did nothing to prepare the team for SEC play.

Having said that, I was almost ready to march out the same claim for this year but I have to admit the 2014 OOC is better. 

Nichols State (atrocious)
Texas Tech (a good, solid game)
Northern Illinois (a step below TT but could be improved by playing a 2015 game at NIU and possibly open some recruiting avenues in Illinois)
UAB (somewhere between Nichols State and Northern Illinois)

Personally, I wish the series with Rutgers could have been maintained (or add someone like Syracuse) to enhance the possibilities of recruiting in the NE.

But let's acknowledge the improvement in the OOC for 2014.

I think that when you play in the SEC and have as difficult of a schedule as we have over the course of our conference schedule, you had better schedule some cupcakes elsewhere in your schedule to increase the likelihood of having a chance at a major bowl.

Heck, if we had our normal SEC schedule and then played La-Monroe, Texas and Michigan and ended up 5-7, which might have been as a result of having the toughest schedule in the nation, some folks on here would say, boy that was entertaining and we are respected because of who we played, but still others would be going ballistic because we didn't win at least 9 games.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

RazorWhacker

Auburn.

Several ingredients for a heated rivalry are already in place:

Coaches don't like each other
Game film-gate
Swinging gate play
Faked injury
Their coach is from Arkansas
Having so many Gus sniffers annoys many hog fans
Refs gave game to Auburn a few years ago

Some day, when our D is stout and they're rebuilding, BB us gonna hang 70 on them like he did to Nebraska and their fans will hate us too. Then it will be on.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: RazorWhacker on March 31, 2014, 06:55:22 am
Auburn.

Game film-gate
Swinging gate play
Faked injury

Some day, when our D is stout and they're rebuilding, BB us gonna hang 70 on them like he did to Nebraska and their fans will hate us too. Then it will be on.

I understand your argument, but the problem is Gus won't be there long enough, and we don't know how long BB will be here.

To be a true rival, it must transcend current reasons.

Texas is probably most logical choice - only problem is a true rival should probably be in our conference.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hogsanity

I've still never seen anyone explain the TRUE NEED for a rivalry game.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ZERO on March 27, 2014, 12:15:51 am
I think Missouri is going to be a pretty good rivalry.
Missouri, Memphis or Tennessee would be tops.  TCU, TTU, and OK St no.  Texass, Bama and LSU are above us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

oxbaker

Auburn.

Game film-gate
Swinging gate play
Faked injury

NOT going to happen.  AUBURN is on a different level than arkanasas at the current time (and likely for the foreseeable future).  If arkansas beats AUBURN in any given year then it is considered an upset.  This does not have the makings of a good rivalry.  There has to be equal anticipation on both sides.  Right now playing arkansas is just sort of meh.

rusvegashog

ASU, Okie Light, TCU and Baylor. There obviously doing something right in Waco and Stillwater. It's my opinion and I loved the LSU game on Black Friday but I think they got it right w the Mizzou rivalry. My only fear is that it becomes a Egg Bowl type of series. Hope that's not the case.

Hogtimes

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 30, 2014, 05:34:05 pm

Honestly I would like to see the first game of the year become a yearly game versus Arkansas State at War Memorial. Call it the governors bowl or kick off classic or whatever but it could be a huge draw that the Hogs should win 9/10 times.

I agree, but we will both get a bunch of smites for saying this.

Hogtimes

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 29, 2014, 07:26:38 pm
I work with some older fans and have had the pleasure of meeting several of the older Longhorn players from the SWC days and they have all said that the big game every year for them was Arkansas. They are mostly donors and behind the scenes type of people I have met and not at all flashy or arrogant. Several have mentioned renewing the series with Arkansas as it meant a lot to people from the days of the SWC.

I seriously doubt anybody I have met has the ability to catch the ear of people who do make these decisions but one never knows. The few former players I met were adamant that Arkansas was their real rivalry and would always be to them.

Sorry to disagree fellow hog fan, but I lived in Texas for a lot of years and knew several former players and I do not recall them or any UT fan that did not consider A&M their No. 1 rival.......followed  by OU for most fans.     

Ben

Arkansas State- most natural and makes no sense not to play it.

Oklahoma State- close to fayetteville and a growing power

Mizzou- a natural geographical conference game with a tad bit of recent history head up.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

Quote from: Stan on March 31, 2014, 04:57:18 pm
I agree, but we will both get a bunch of smites for saying this.
you are just one of the bunch that thinks for themselves insteada hopping on an outdated ideal that every division 1 team proves wrong.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

goodguytex

Since Arkansas left the same conference as Texas, many hog fans have let the old hatred towRds Texas grow cold over time. I live on the Texas-Arkansas border in Arkansas, so that old dislike is always there under the surface.

If there had to be an out of conference rival, I would say Texas or OU. In conference I would say the Aggies or mizzery would be the two best natural rivalries. Auburn could develop into one from our point of view, because of malazahn, and the animosity that is going on between him and coach Bielema, but auburn won't ever consider us a true rival. They will always have their sights set on Bama and LSU.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Stan on March 31, 2014, 05:09:14 pm
Sorry to disagree fellow hog fan, but I lived in Texas for a lot of years and knew several former players and I do not recall them or any UT fan that did not consider A&M their No. 1 rival.......followed  by OU for most fans.   

The gentlemen I had the pleasure of talking to were players from the 60s. Could be the reasoning why they said they felt the Arkansas game was always the biggest game of the year. Im sure you could ask 100 different players and probably get a lot of different answers.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

TheGrove68

I get why many ark. Fans would love to keep LSU as a rival since they carry a national name and following and this allows the Hogs to gain more exposure. I also get Texas being on the list for the same reason as LSU and the rivalry. But I'm a bit dumbfounded by the Okie lite love fest??

Okie st has always been mid-tier at best,lacks any national following and is 2nd fiddle in the state of Oklahoma.Last year they where the 19th most watched program with a avg. viewer ship of only 1.7 million per game in contrast Mizzou was the 8th most watched program right behind LSU at 7th. And a 2.4 million viewer avg. Now I'm not saying Okie st shouldn't be ark. rival team that is a choice Hog fans need to make...but the thought process of playing Okies st and gaining exposure or opening up recruiting grounds seems a bit of a stretch IMO.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TheGrove68 on April 01, 2014, 04:05:44 am
I get why many ark. Fans would love to keep LSU as a rival since they carry a national name and following and this allows the Hogs to gain more exposure. I also get Texas being on the list for the same reason as LSU and the rivalry. But I'm a bit dumbfounded by the Okie lite love fest??

Okie st has always been mid-tier at best,lacks any national following and is 2nd fiddle in the state of Oklahoma.Last year they where the 19th most watched program with a avg. viewer ship of only 1.7 million per game in contrast Mizzou was the 8th most watched program right behind LSU at 7th. And a 2.4 million viewer avg. Now I'm not saying Okie st shouldn't be ark. rival team that is a choice Hog fans need to make...but the thought process of playing Okies st and gaining exposure or opening up recruiting grounds seems a bit of a stretch IMO.

Here's an article from 2012 that explains the reasoning behind a match up from the state of Oklahoma as opposed to Missouri.

"Highlights of 2011:

Oklahoma Markets: Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma's two metered markets, each reached their highest spot in 2011. Oklahoma City finished in second and Tulsa in seventh.

Partner Markets: Tulsa and Las Vegas finished 2011 among the top 10 for the first time, capturing seventh and ninth, respectively. The two markets also reached their previous highs together in 2009 when Tulsa was 11 and Las Vegas 13.

Cracking the Top Five: Atlanta finished 2011 as the fifth highest rated market (tied with New Orleans), the highest spot since 2005 (third)".

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/college-footballs-top-25-highest-rated-markets-birmingham-oklahoma-city-columbus-top-three-in-2011/

Kansas City came in at #25 on the list and St. Louis isn't even mentioned as a big college football t.v. market.
Go Hogs Go!

fortsmithokie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 01, 2014, 05:30:07 am
Here's an article from 2012 that explains the reasoning behind a match up from the state of Oklahoma as opposed to Missouri.

"Highlights of 2011:

Oklahoma Markets: Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma's two metered markets, each reached their highest spot in 2011. Oklahoma City finished in second and Tulsa in seventh.

Partner Markets: Tulsa and Las Vegas finished 2011 among the top 10 for the first time, capturing seventh and ninth, respectively. The two markets also reached their previous highs together in 2009 when Tulsa was 11 and Las Vegas 13.

Cracking the Top Five: Atlanta finished 2011 as the fifth highest rated market (tied with New Orleans), the highest spot since 2005 (third)".

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/college-footballs-top-25-highest-rated-markets-birmingham-oklahoma-city-columbus-top-three-in-2011/

Kansas City came in at #25 on the list and St. Louis isn't even mentioned as a big college football t.v. market.

Yea, St. Louis is a much bigger pro sports TV market than college.

urkillnmesmalls

Auburn.

Game film-gate
Swinging gate play
Faked injury

This.  But their rivalry with Bama would never come close.  We could be a second rival, and I agree that the bricks for that have been laid.  All we need are a few faked injuries next season, and a win in the next two...and that game will have a new meaning. 

Everyone was so enamored with Auburn last season, but they got extremely lucky to end up where they were.  And I have news for some people...there was a different feeling at that Auburn game last season at DWRRS than the rest.  We were in that game, and at the end of the 3rd quarter when our players were going nuts on the sidelines, I thought we were about to see an epic Hog comeback.  A few key plays turned the tide back toward Auburn, but it wasn't like we were completely over matched like we looked to be against Bama and SCe. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Means-well

Quote from: oxbaker on March 31, 2014, 02:23:32 pm
NOT going to happen.  AUBURN is on a different level than arkanasas at the current time (and likely for the foreseeable future).  If arkansas beats AUBURN in any given year then it is considered an upset.  This does not have the makings of a good rivalry.  There has to be equal anticipation on both sides.  Right now playing arkansas is just sort of meh.

As was stated earlier, a rivalry has to go both ways. Auburn sees bama and to a lesser degree uga as their rivals.  I have many auburn friends, we aren't even on the radar.  Being a competitor is different than a historic rival.  Mizzou or lsu make the most sense - they have the same issue of no natural conf rival.

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Hogwild

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2014, 10:10:52 am
I was under the impression that this matchup/rivalry game wasn't necessarily permanent?

I think the end of the season matchup is final, when the game will be played could change.  LSU's AD has gone on record saying he will no longer play on a shorten week, unless coming off of a bye.  He said that a short week gives the underdog an advantage, so between that and players safety, no more Black Friday's unless there is a bye prior to the game. That will only happen during seasons that have no byes.

elksnort

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2014, 04:58:36 pm
Since they've never had one, why does Arkansas now need a rival?

(Asked seriously, not sarcastically..)

Exactly, just beat teams.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on April 01, 2014, 10:48:41 am
Exactly, just beat teams.

have you ever seen any of the " we gotta have a rivalry" crowd explain WHY the PROGRAm needs a rivalry?  Not the fans, but the PROGRAM.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 01, 2014, 11:59:39 am
have you ever seen any of the " we gotta have a rivalry" crowd explain WHY the PROGRAm needs a rivalry?  Not the fans, but the PROGRAM.

Fans want rivalries because it adds to the pleasure of every game that is considered to be such, especially when we win. There will always be conference rivalry games (considered to be so by some fans) even if one opponent doesn't feel the other is as much of a rival. But a true rivalry game is established over years of play with one another and usually when the outcome can be considered to be somewhat in doubt. That is what builds a true rivalry game and sometimes they needn't be in your same conference. I think it helps when there is some trophy at stake, whatever it may be, like the "golden boot". Now that isn't necessarily gone just because the game isn't played on black Friday, but if a rivalry develops with Missouri or with an OOC opponent like Oklahoma State, for it to gain more momentum than the LSU game, there will have to be some trophy at stake, IMO.
Go Hogs Go!

LJHOG

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on March 30, 2014, 08:04:28 pm

I can only wonder what the 69 shootout would have felt like watching it in person. How can there be another rival after this game? It's in our soul as Hog fans.

An absolute sick feeling in the pit of your stomach followed by 44 years of depression.

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

I can see people in southern Missouri buying in to the Arkansas rivalry. The fan base in northern Mo is where there might be some apathy. It will take time, but a few close games, sprinkled with controversy, could amp it up.

Arkansas has been recruiting the St. Louis area pretty heavy. The exposure for you would only help.

Cotton

Those of you looking at tv markets and ratings for rivalry games are missing the entire aspect of a rivalry game.

1. Rivalry games are about two teams that don't like each other and usually have close proximity.

2. If its a good rivalry game, it gets picked up around the country regardless of tv markets and what not.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 05:57:35 am
Those of you looking at tv markets and ratings for rivalry games are missing the entire aspect of a rivalry game.

1. Rivalry games are about two teams that don't like each other and usually have close proximity.

2. If its a good rivalry game, it gets picked up around the country regardless of tv markets and what not.

I'm not sure about your second comment. It can be a "good rivalry game" for the people involved without it being considered to be a good t.v. game worthy of being watched nationally or even in some cases, regionally and even then, how many are going to watch? That's a pretty big factor in determining who gets airtime and who doesn't.

When was the last time that any of us watched the following rivalry games?

Air Force-Colorado State
Army-Notre Dame
Nevada-UNLV
Cincinnati-Miami of Ohio
Marshall-Ohio U.
La Lafay-La Monroe
Houston-Rice
UAB-Memphis
Washington-Wash State
Boston College-U Mass
Colorado-Nebraska

Point is, if we are going to have a rivalry let's have one that folks want to watch. Now people are going to watch Arkansas-Missouri, but how much interest will there be outside of Arkansas and Missouri? And yeah, I would prefer a rival whose t.v. market reaches more screens. Maybe we will get that with Missouri by virtue of it being an SEC game, I hope so.
Go Hogs Go!

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

It would be hard for me to judge a rivalry based only on national TV ratings. I doubt nationally anyone cared about Mizzou vs Kansas, but that was the one game MU fans always had circled.

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2014, 06:11:30 am
I'm not sure about your second comment. It can be a "good rivalry game" for the people involved without it being considered to be a good t.v. game worthy of being watched nationally or even in some cases, regionally and even then, how many are going to watch? That's a pretty big factor in determining who gets airtime and who doesn't.

When was the last time that any of us watched the following rivalry games?

Air Force-Colorado State
Army-Notre Dame
Nevada-UNLV
Cincinnati-Miami of Ohio
Marshall-Ohio U.
La Lafay-La Monroe
Houston-Rice
UAB-Memphis
Washington-Wash State
Boston College-U Mass
Colorado-Nebraska

Point is, if we are going to have a rivalry let's have one that folks want to watch. Now people are going to watch Arkansas-Missouri, but how much interest will there be outside of Arkansas and Missouri? And yeah, I would prefer a rival whose t.v. market reaches more screens. Maybe we will get that with Missouri by virtue of it being an SEC game, I hope so.
A lot of those games you mentioned are not main "rivalry" games. La-M and La-La are much much smaller programs as well. Personally I have watched a few of those other ones.

You can call a lot of games "rivalry" games but I'm talking about a main rival. The biggest rival on your schedule. Idk how you could pick a team to be your rival just based on TV markets so others can see it. Since when do other people watching it matter? Outside of Arkansas Razorback fans, I couldn't care less who else watches the game. If the game is a good enough game, people will watch. If you support your team, and your team puts a good product on the field, people will watch.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

fortsmithokie

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on April 02, 2014, 06:29:55 am
It would be hard for me to judge a rivalry based only on national TV ratings. I doubt nationally anyone cared about Mizzou vs Kansas, but that was the one game MU fans always had circled.

But if you try to artificially create one these days, I think potential for wider exposure is important, especially for recruiting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: fortsmithokie on April 02, 2014, 07:10:21 am
But if you try to artificially create one these days, I think potential for wider exposure is important, especially for recruiting.

Exactly.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 06:33:08 am
A lot of those games you mentioned are not main "rivalry" games. La-M and La-La are much much smaller programs as well. Personally I have watched a few of those other ones.

You can call a lot of games "rivalry" games but I'm talking about a main rival. The biggest rival on your schedule. Idk how you could pick a team to be your rival just based on TV markets so others can see it. Since when do other people watching it matter? Outside of Arkansas Razorback fans, I couldn't care less who else watches the game. If the game is a good enough game, people will watch. If you support your team, and your team puts a good product on the field, people will watch.

Those are main rivalry games for those schools. I mentioned a few. And, I am sure that those games are important to those fan bases. And you are right, rivalries need to naturally occur and cannot be constructed, but that is exactly what the Missouri game is, a constructed rivalry.

Now the Oklahoma State game would be a re-constructed rivalry because for 38 years or so up until 1980, we played them 32 times. Closer to us than Columbia, MO and OSU gets a lot of air time in Texas where the vast majority of their players come from. If I were to schedule a game that would help us more for recruiting purposes, I wouldn't focus on Missouri/Arkansas, I would focus on Oklahoma and Texas and that is what you get with scheduling them.

We are doing recruiting in Missouri but we need to plow more ground in Oklahoma and Texas and that is one of the reasons that I favor that match up more than one with Missouri who we have played a grand total of 4 times since 1942.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Said it before, and I'll say it again.  I still believe that part of the reason we've never had a true rivalry (other than Texas, though some will say they never saw us that way...which may be true in part, but it was certainly not the case in the 60's), is because Arkansans are such nice people on the whole.  People come to our state, and are dumbfounded that people wave from their cars.  They almost ALWAYS comment about how nice the people in Arkansas are, and I've been out of state and met complete strangers in the business world who comment about having been to Arkansas and how great the people there are.  That comes completely unsolicited. 

Call me crazy, but I think that's at least a part of why we don't have any true rivalries.  The CLOSEST I've seen to one developing was with LSU, because they had just enough rednecks who had the cajones to jaw back at Hog fans at WMS. 

I'm talking about in terms of the feeling overall.  I understand we have a few knuckleheads that take things too far at times, but usually there's a level headed person or two there to smooth things over. 

Contrast that with going to a game in Baton Rouge, and the overall feeling is that you're about one comment away from getting jumped by 10 people. 

I still contend that because of proximity, Mizzou is our best bet.  But...both sides have to beat each other in meaningful games for it to materialize.  Our fans painting something significant red, or vice versa, isn't likely to cut it. 

You want exposure?  Have the game be for a set of golden dentures, as someone suggested in an earlier thread.  It can't be much worse than that series "Clash of the Ozarks" in terms of negative exposure.   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2014, 07:47:06 am
Those are main rivalry games for those schools. I mentioned a few. And, I am sure that those games are important to those fan bases. And you are right, rivalries need to naturally occur and cannot be constructed, but that is exactly what the Missouri game is, a constructed rivalry.

Now the Oklahoma State game would be a re-constructed rivalry because for 38 years or so up until 1980, we played them 32 times. Closer to us than Columbia, MO and OSU gets a lot of air time in Texas where the vast majority of their players come from. If I were to schedule a game that would help us more for recruiting purposes, I wouldn't focus on Missouri/Arkansas, I would focus on Oklahoma and Texas and that is what you get with scheduling them.

We are doing recruiting in Missouri but we need to plow more ground in Oklahoma and Texas and that is one of the reasons that I favor that match up more than one with Missouri who we have played a grand total of 4 times since 1942.

If you're talking about an out of conference rival...then I absolutely agree.  OSU should be number one on our list.  They have PROVEN that you can be from another state and build a solid team with Texas recruits.  It's for that reason that I'm not sure OSU would see a great benefit in creating a rivalry with us, because that's their life's blood.  It wasn't until recently that they had the ability to take top talent from OU, and I'm not sure they're going to be in a hurry to risk that new status. 

But...if they'd go for it, I say sign the papers.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 02, 2014, 07:51:02 am
If you're talking about an out of conference rival...then I absolutely agree.  OSU should be number one on our list.  They have PROVEN that you can be from another state and build a solid team with Texas recruits.  It's for that reason that I'm not sure OSU would see a great benefit in creating a rivalry with us, because that's their life's blood.  It wasn't until recently that they had the ability to take top talent from OU, and I'm not sure they're going to be in a hurry to risk that new status. 

But...if they'd go for it, I say sign the papers.   

And get this, they have never played us in Fayetteville, always in Little Rock. So RRS would be a new experience for them.
Go Hogs Go!