Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Name a team(s) who could be a good rival that we consider to be regular team.

Started by Sweet Feet, March 27, 2014, 12:04:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

Ive heard OK State, ive heard TCU, even Wisconsin because of the ties. But what schools you think could be good rival games to arkansas if given time and consistency?

ZERO

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

MrThunderhog

What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

redeye

I like Missouri and have wanted this game for decades.  I could see Oklahoma State, but not TCU or Wisconsin.  I wouldn't mind Wisconsin, although I don't see how it would ever happen.  Playing TCU in the SWC was like playing Vandy, except easier, so I don't even understand that one.

acey33

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

j-mann

calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Athog

tophawg19

TCU would give us games in dallas area . that would help recruiting . Houston would also help
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IBleedRazorbackRed

Oklahoma state or tcu, one of the south Florida schools, one of the Louisiana schools, smu or Houston.

Sooie71923

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Athog on March 28, 2014, 10:39:43 pm
Texas for us but Texas does not consider Arkansas that rival.

the people that pay the bills do consider us a rival
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Mike_e

Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Athog

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 29, 2014, 01:11:37 am

You are correct but neither do the rank and file fans. They would say OU and Texas AM.

jlhogfan

Tenn or A&M?  I think it would be a team that does not currently have a "true rival" 

tophawg19

we could build a grudge match with ole miss even without nutt . Auburn is getting easier to hate for their arrogance
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MrThunderhog on March 29, 2014, 01:11:37 am

Not sure where you get this.

I'd vote for Oklahoma State.

Close enough to make it easy for both fan bases to travel well between Fayetteville and Stillwater.

Their Texas recruits who watch them (and they recruit Texas heavily) would also be seeing us. That's as good of exposure as you get without actually playing in Texas.

We have a long previous history with them, though it ended in 1980.

They have achieved national ranking and reputation so it would be a game of value for us.

You aren't going to get Oklahoma or Texas to engage in a long term, home and home series with us at this point.

Next to no value in trying to set up a series with TCU, let alone SMU (I mean, really? SMU?). Ditto for Texas Tech.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ZERO on March 27, 2014, 12:15:51 am
I think Missouri is going to be a pretty good rivalry.

Reciprocity Bowl.

Those people hate anything with 'Kansas in it and I haven't heard much love directed that way from here, so it should be good.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

fortsmithokie

Quote from: ZERO on March 27, 2014, 12:15:51 am
I think Missouri is going to be a pretty good rivalry.

I think this is the best opportunity for Arkansas to develop a football rivalry. Then I think you look for a marquee OOC game for each season with a higher-profile AQ team.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 27, 2014, 12:04:30 am
Ive heard OK State, ive heard TCU, even Wisconsin because of the ties. But what schools you think could be good rival games to arkansas if given time and consistency?

Based on your posting history I think I know where you want this to go..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Athog on March 29, 2014, 08:18:50 am
You are correct but neither do the rank and file fans. They would say OU and Texas AM.

Tejas considers TAMU and OU their biggest rivals.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2014, 09:54:41 am
Baes on your posting history I think I know where you want this to go..........................

The master troll is at work again.  To be a real rivalry, both teams have to have the ability to win at least once in a while.

Texas would be the best for Arkansas for a variety of reasons, but since that is never going to happen (they're scared to play us now), I'll go with Oklahoma State.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 29, 2014, 10:05:16 am
The master troll is at work again.  To be a real rivalry, both teams have to have the ability to win at least once in a while.

Texas would be the best for Arkansas for a variety of reasons, but since that is never going to happen (they're scared to play us now), I'll go with Oklahoma State.

Does Charlie need another reason to come in?

Hogtimes

I do not think it is wise to have an annual rivalry game outside of the conference.  I prefer to develop rivalries with conference mates that we must play every year.  To me out of conference games should  rotate amont different teams for variety,  national interest and recruiting.

Missouri is a natural rival for us.   Similiar programs, neighboring states, division title competetion in the future.    However for a pure hatred rival I would think it would be Auburn.

Plus some of the other schools mentioned.....Texas, Oklahoma State etc already have heated rivalries with other schools.    Missouri does not, now that they no longer play Kansas.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Stan on March 29, 2014, 11:11:20 am
I do not think it is wise to have an annual rivalry game outside of the conference.  I prefer to develop rivalries with conference mates that we must play every year.  To me out of conference games should  rotate amont different teams for variety,  national interest and recruiting.

Missouri is a natural rival for us.   Similiar programs, neighboring states, division title competetion in the future.    However for a pure hatred rival I would think it would be Auburn.

Plus some of the other schools mentioned.....Texas, Oklahoma State etc already have heated rivalries with other schools.    Missouri does not, now that they no longer play Kansas.

Nah, most auburn people are too nice, notwithstanding oxbaker.  :)

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

BPsTheMan

Arkansas State, played at War Memorial Stadium each year, in black uni's, with Gus being honored at halftime each year, while drinking Pepsi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 29, 2014, 10:05:16 am

Good choice. I do think it is best to have a rival in conference though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Stan on March 29, 2014, 11:11:20 am

I don't think old barn is a rival. To have a rivalry then fans of both schools have to consider it a rival. Old barn will ALWAYS consider Bama their rival.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 29, 2014, 09:54:41 am
Based on your posting history I think I know where you want this to go..........................

Nah not this thread. Ive just been free flowing

Locutus_of_Boar

The University of Arkansas' natural state rival:

University of the Ozarks!

10-01-1927 32-0 Fayetteville, AR
10-06-1928 21-0 Fayetteville, AR
09-28-1929 37-0 Fayetteville, AR
09-27-1930 27-0 Fayetteville, AR
09-26-1931 13-6 Fayetteville, AR
09-23-1933 40-0 Fayetteville, AR
09-29-1934 13-0 Fayetteville, AR
10-26-1935 51-6 Fayetteville, AR

redeye

Quote from: Athog on March 29, 2014, 08:18:50 am

They would nowadays, but it wasn't always like that.  I don't know that we were ever the #1 rival for Texas, but they most certainly did consider us a rival, so I don't know why so many Arkansas fans say otherwise.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Land Grant Trophy: Michigan State

Governors Trophy: Arkansas State - in Fayetteville as WM is too small.

Hog/Cow Trophy: Oklahoma State
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

oldhawg

I could warm up to a permanent Arkansas - Ok State series.  I still remember how PO'ed I got when Leslie O'Neal went to Stillwater instead of becoming a Razorback ---- not that I hold grudges.

hogsanity

The question is Who would consider the hogs to be a rivalry. Texas and osu already have our. Tn already has bama. Aub/bama have each other. Fla has ga and the instate schools. Lsu has bama and a&m/lsu will turn into something.  Om/msu have each other.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 29, 2014, 04:54:47 pm
The question is Who would consider the hogs to be a rivalry. Texas and osu already have our. Tn already has bama. Aub/bama have each other. Fla has ga and the instate schools. Lsu has bama and a&m/lsu will turn into something.  Om/msu have each other.

Not sure there is any school in neighboring states that does not already have a bitter rival.  Also, I'm not so sure Arkansas could establish a long distance rivalry like Notre Dame vs USC.

It's going to take an "incident" of some sort to really spark a rivalry game on relatively short notice.  Looks like the Hogs will have to continue in the "ugly stepsister" role until something extraneous creates bitter feelings that can carry over to the athletic field.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 29, 2014, 08:33:47 am
Not sure where you get this.

I'd vote for Oklahoma State.

Close enough to make it easy for both fan bases to travel well between Fayetteville and Stillwater.

Their Texas recruits who watch them (and they recruit Texas heavily) would also be seeing us. That's as good of exposure as you get without actually playing in Texas.

We have a long previous history with them, though it ended in 1980.

They have achieved national ranking and reputation so it would be a game of value for us.

You aren't going to get Oklahoma or Texas to engage in a long term, home and home series with us at this point.

Next to no value in trying to set up a series with TCU, let alone SMU (I mean, really? SMU?). Ditto for Texas Tech.

I work with some older fans and have had the pleasure of meeting several of the older Longhorn players from the SWC days and they have all said that the big game every year for them was Arkansas. They are mostly donors and behind the scenes type of people I have met and not at all flashy or arrogant. Several have mentioned renewing the series with Arkansas as it meant a lot to people from the days of the SWC.

I seriously doubt anybody I have met has the ability to catch the ear of people who do make these decisions but one never knows. The few former players I met were adamant that Arkansas was their real rivalry and would always be to them.

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2014, 04:58:36 pm
Since they've never had one, why does Arkansas now need a rival?

(Asked seriously, not sarcastically..)

The program doesn't need one, but some fans apparently do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

choppedporkextrasauce

I have been going to Razorback games since I was 13, some of the best games I saw the Hogs play were those Baylor games.

I always thought they played us tough and physical. I wouldn't mind seeing the machine gunning bears as an occasional opponent.

Wildhog

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 29, 2014, 07:34:35 pm
I have been going to Razorback games since I was 13, some of the best games I saw the Hogs play were those Baylor games.

I always thought they played us tough and physical. I wouldn't mind seeing the machine gunning bears as an occasional opponent.

We are 35-33-2 all time against Baylor.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

root_hawg

Really needs to be someone who doesn't have a rival much now... Mizzouri is perfect since they don't play Kansas anymore.

Oklahawg

Mizzou fits great. It is in-conference so the game always means something. It is set up for Tgiving - fine way to end the season. Close for travel considerations.

Out of conference? Oklahoma State is a natural. They would love to have a rival that valued them the way they value OU.

I love the thought of TCU, SMU, Houston, Baylor or Tech, but don't know how big a rivalry it would be. On paper, it looks like a game we are supposed to win, a trap game. It's why the A&M game was a no-brainer prior to them joining the conference.

By the way, there isnothing wrong with having 2+ "rivals". Mizzou and A*M are right there for us. Especially if A&M doesn't play UT any longer. LSU would be nice - that we continue beating them often enough to get their attention.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Porked Tongue

If we're going out of conference, I'd like to beat Nebraska every year.

(notOM)Rebel123

Trying to "force-feed" a team to fans to create a rivalry is on a par with that stupid "Everybody Clap your hands" to make fans cheer.
Now, "get off my lawn!".... ;)

Actually, Mizzou might develop into a nice rivalry. But the Hogs had some nice battles with Okie Lite back in the 70's. It was a good series.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Porked Tongue

I don't disagree.  But the hypothesis is who would you like to develop one with if you had the choice.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Athog on March 28, 2014, 10:39:43 pm
Texas for us but Texas does not consider Arkansas that rival.

Blah, blah, blah...we've heard this over and over. We get it.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Wildhog on March 29, 2014, 09:56:07 am
Mizzou's going to be a good one, like it or not.

I dread Ark being considered a Rival to Mizzou as a out of state fan

I guess I need to get ready to watch this breakfast game on ESPN3 instead of the prim time with friends at a bar on Black Friday vs LSU

I will miss the game with LSU because it almost always had SEC and national bowl game implications - now with the LSU game moved it will not have the same apparent bowl implications and impact as it did on Black Friday - 

Now - my are we that insignificant that we are paired with - Mizxou ?k

Maybe we deserve this - because we are so bad right now

It should be a great tailgate fir N/W Ark

As a out if state fan - I'm saddened  because I can't see this game being of any importance outside the Ozarks

The SEC front office just assured Ark is in a end of season TV viewing  blackout

This doesn't help us at all

Just win the darn thing and get ready for a bowl game