Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's Your Second Favorite College Team?

Started by Squealers, March 26, 2014, 09:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Excellent question. I've never had a solid answer. Mine has changed a few times over the years. I'd probably say VT, WV or Washington for most of those years.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

EastArkHog 47

Texas, I hate them but I hate everyone else in the SEC a lot more and pretty much the same for all the other D1 teams. GO HOGS

LZH

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 27, 2014, 07:10:54 pm
Bama

There ya go.

Ya'll notice it has taken me three pages before mentioning that you-know-who was my uncle............?   ;)

JansterZ71

Quote from: CallMeHog on March 27, 2014, 06:23:13 am
Auburn losing is my second favorite team.

Last year must have been horrible for you  ;)
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

LZH

pigture perfect

Arkansas State is probably my 2nd favorite.  But I like all of the Arkansas teams.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DLUXHOG

None really, but if a gun were held to my head to say something, I would say "Ole Miss", and that is only because one of my best friends is the defensive coordinator there.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jlhogfan

Oregon; it's shocking to me, however, the Bama love in this thread

nwahogfan1

IN football the games I love to watch is the ones that can put points on the score board.

The Boar War

Nebraska
Georgia Tech (because of the wish bone)
I honestly watched a lot of Wisconsin football while Coach B was there.

I don't have a 2nd favorite but every week in season, I have several favorite matchups that I love to take sides in.  Beyond the Hogs, I usually pick teams that I need to win for reasons such as I like their coach or need them to win to put the Hogs in a better position, etc.  For example, I don't like Ohio State so I have a favorite team weekly against them.  Don't like Nutt so any team he should coach I will want to lose and did like Petrino so I hope he wins, etc.

opineonswine

Hawgon

There is not room in my heart for another.  Seriously, when Arkansas has a bad year, I have absolutely no interest in college football and might not watch more than a handful of games all year.

JONAS

opineonswine

Just like basketball.  As long as Arkansas is alive...NIT or otherwise...I"m interested.  When we die...it dies.  Don't care.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 27, 2014, 11:46:23 am
I've just approximated the top end possibility of your age Hogsmo if you are calling it Memphis. 

I attended Memphis State!
I miss the Highland Strip and 50 cent Moosehead nights.....

Good ole Highland, spent many a drunk night there.

In fact it played host to one of the biggest bar brawls I've ever been in.

Good times, good times!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Ramtough

Arkansas State in Football and UALR in Basketball. Its easy to get tickets to both and its about an hour drive for me to see them play when the Hogs are having a bad year.

mckinneyhog5

It's Arkansas then

LSU- Maybe it's because of the close games and our ability to beat them occasionally.  Really can't stand any other team in the SEC.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

porkchopsdontfloat

Quote from: pigskenG on March 27, 2014, 06:12:30 pm
hard to narrow it down, but I would have to say my next nine favorite would be any team that is playing against Texas, Texas A&M, So Cal, ND, Ohio St, Mich, FSU, OU & Ok St.

You left out LSU.
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Don't have a second "favorite" team, but I always pull for the service academies when their games are on TV.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 09:19:24 pm
IN football the games I love to watch is the ones that can put points on the score board.

I like the ones that win no matter how many points.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jlhogfan on March 27, 2014, 09:15:19 pm
Oregon; it's shocking to me, however, the Bama love in this thread

It's shocking to me the Oregon love in this thread...........................

immahog

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Squealers on March 26, 2014, 09:58:40 pm
Mine is Missouri Southern.  That's where I received my undergraduate degree.  Then Troy comes in third, that's where I received my graduate degree.

Funny how I didn't attend Arkansas (I do have a U of A Walton School of Retailing Diploma in Senior Leadership from the U of A)  but they are my number one college team.

Who is your second?

Hard to pick a 2nd.  I like teams like Boise State or other schools that air it out.  Not really a "fan", but I like their system and how they don't need 4 star athletes to be competitive.

I know I'll get hammered for this, but I believe the future of college football is a pass-heavy offense.  It will start evening out the field, much like the 3 point line did in basketball.  It's just logical.  The quickest and most effective way from point A to point B is to throw it.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hogsnott

Arkansas born and raised.....#1 Arkansas #2 Arkansas State #3 UCA....everyone else is the enemy.

ChitownHawg

Well I cannot go with my post grad school as Loyola doesn't have a football team!  :D

So I would say Bama as I respect what Saban has built there.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

catfish07

I follow the Tar Heels (wife) and Georgia Southern (Master's) in addition to the Hogs (UG).

Makes it easy when they seldom compete for the same prize.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

LZH

No secret why 'Bama is my second.  LSU has the coolest uniforms, fwiw.  I absolutely can't stand Notre Dame.  And I came within a phone call from going to Ole Miss, I still kinda pull for them now that HDN is gone.

Two that are kinda headscratchers......Tulane and SMU.  We used to go to the Liberty Bowl every year when I was a kid, and in '81 or so Tulane played Penn St. and lost 9-6 or something like that.  But they didn't back down even though it was painfully obvious that they were overmatched.  Plus, their uni's were so weird that they were great.  I bought a Green Wave cap that day and still have it.  And I've always liked SMU - Methodist school, in Dallas, and those ponies on those helmets still look good after all these years.  I still say that if they ever find the right coach, look out (see Larry Brown and the b-ball team).  They couldn't be in a better recruiting hot spot if they picked it out on a map.

Mike_e

No other team rises to the level of favorite, even second or third.

I enjoy watching bama play and have come to enjoy Michigan State.

Now, if you'd asked which was my second favorite team to see get beat then that would have to have been LSU.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on March 26, 2014, 10:48:18 pm
There's quite a few posters, especially in Jump Ball, that hate Memphis or "Tiger High" as they like to call it which is why I'm expecting some blow back for being a Memphis fan.

It's all good though I don't crease easily.
I was talking to my cousin, who lives in Austin, TX, last night during the Florida - UCLA game.  He was getting the feed about 17 seconds ahead of me here in the Memphis metro area.

It is now obvious to me that the Memphis media hates us.   >:(

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 28, 2014, 09:32:46 am
I was talking to my cousin, who lives in Austin, TX, last night during the Florida - UCLA game.  He was getting the feed about 17 seconds ahead of me here in the Memphis metro area.

It is now obvious to me that the Memphis media hates us.   >:(

Lol, I know right?!

Cue FCJ.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 27, 2014, 04:13:30 pm
So you can - if you're married. 
And remember, no limit on the number of wives!

What a place!

Haha! Good one!

MarshallTucker

I pull for old SWC teams save Texass. Of those I'm an SMU fan mostly then Baylor

flynhog

1. Razorbacks
2. Auburn
3. Texas
4. Cincinnati

After the Hogs I pull for schools with coaches from Arkansas. 

Always be a CBP fan and Garrick fan.

Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

choppedporkextrasauce

I like any team that beats Auburn, Lsu, A&M, Ole P., Msu, Tenn, Florida, Mizzou, and especially any team that beats jawja.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Squealers on March 26, 2014, 09:58:40 pm
Mine is Missouri Southern.  That's where I received my undergraduate degree.  Then Troy comes in third, that's where I received my graduate degree.

Funny how I didn't attend Arkansas (I do have a U of A Walton School of Retailing Diploma in Senior Leadership from the U of A)  but they are my number one college team.

Who is your second?

Whoever is playing Texas today.

Tsarcasm

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

Chic-Hog-Oh

Fighting Illini.

Alma Mater + has never played the Hogs and likely never will.

http://www.hogdb.com/db/opponents/

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Some of you that have been on here a while - do you remember the "Duke" avatar guy?

He couldn't understand why he had so many smites, and why posters would bash him.  He had a HUGE Blue Devil and the word DUKE, and I think his moniker was DukeHogFan, or something like that.  He would get soooo upset and just be like, "I'm a Hog fan first, but after that I just love Duke".

I tried to explain but it didn't take.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: JansterZ71 on March 27, 2014, 08:49:39 pm
Last year must have been horrible for you  ;)
It evens out. The year before that was gold.

LJHOG

MojoHog

OkState. One side of my family all attended there and they tailgate every home game over there and if it matches up with a bye week I make the travel over there and enjoy some food and football. Plus they all hate Tejas and OU as much as everyone else.

But Hogs still #1. And if I had to choose a 3rd team it would be Mich State. Like their colors, mascot, unis, and both the football and basketball coaches.
Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on March 27, 2014, 10:04:21 pm
Good ole Highland, spent many a drunk night there.

In fact it played host to one of the biggest bar brawls I've ever been in.

Good times, good times!

"Dat you?"
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

tphigh2001

TheRazorback500

OU. They had a meteorology school and we didn't. Would have rather been a Hog.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

claytongray

I'm not against someone having a second team, but I don't have one. I don't have a favorite pro team in any sport either. Just don't care enough about them.

Dionysos25

I'm from Nashville, so Vanderbilt is my second team. Mostly because I get cheap tickets to see them get the snot kicked out of them by the hogs :)
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."