Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sidney Moncrief and Indiana State with Larry Bird...1979

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 26, 2014, 08:42:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2010/6/30/1544967/way-back-wednesdays-arkansas-vs

All I can say is, once again, thank you Mr. Moncrief for playing your guts out every single second of every single half of every single game you ever played in with a Razorback uniform on.

By the way, you who are too young to remember would not believe the number of minutes Moncrief averaged per game his senior year.

At the time, this loss was bad, very bad. Very heartbreaking way to lose an Elite Eight game the year after going to the FF. However, in retrospect, there is no heartbreak really in losing to a team that was 33-0, #1 and led by Larry Bird, especially for an Arkansas team that started the season unranked. And if somehow the Razorbacks had gotten by Indiana State, thereby moving on to the FF, we would have had a very good DePaul team waiting for us in the semis (Indiana St beat them by 2 pts) and Michigan State and Magic Johnson in the other semi (they beat Penn by 34 pts in that semi), and that would most assuredly have been a repeat of the year before (when KY pretty much had their way with us (even with the Triplets) and went on to win the NC over Duke.) Michigan St beat Bird and Ind St by 11 in the championship game.

The only heartbreaking thing about the game to me is that it was the last time I had the privilege of seeing Sidney Moncrief in an Arkansas uniform.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Lanny

Sidney Moncrief was the best college basketball player I had seen at the time.  I played high school basketball and when the games were over would race home to watch the Razorback game played earlier that night.  I could not believe Indiana State won that game on a off hand piss shot after US Reid was tripped.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2014, 08:42:26 am
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2010/6/30/1544967/way-back-wednesdays-arkansas-vs

All I can say is, once again, thank you Mr. Moncrief for playing your guts out every single second of every single half of every single game you ever played in with a Razorback uniform on.

By the way, you who are too young to remember would not believe the number of minutes Moncrief averaged per game his senior year.

At the time, this loss was bad, very bad. Very heartbreaking way to lose an Elite Eight game the year after going to the FF. However, in retrospect, there is no heartbreak really in losing to a team that was 33-0, #1 and led by Larry Bird, especially for an Arkansas team that started the season unranked. And if somehow the Razorbacks had gotten by Indiana State, thereby moving on to the FF, we would have had a very good DePaul team waiting for us in the semis (Indiana St beat them by 2 pts) and Michigan State and Magic Johnson in the other semi (they beat Penn by 34 pts in that semi), and that would most assuredly have been a repeat of the year before (when KY pretty much had their way with us (even with the Triplets) and went on to win the NC over Duke.) Michigan St beat Bird and Ind St by 11 in the championship game.

The only heartbreaking thing about the game to me is that it was the last time I had the privilege of seeing Sidney Moncrief in an Arkansas uniform.

sidney was the best razorback ever. no one comes close

that isu game ended on the worst call i have ever seen . carl nix tripping US reed and then reed getting called for traveling was pitiful

Pigasaurus

Quote from: avatar on March 26, 2014, 04:41:12 pm

that isu game ended on the worst call i have ever seen . carl nix tripping US reed and then reed getting called for traveling was pitiful
This game is my version of the 69 great shootout loss.  Good grief it hurt.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

BLS50

I was at the game....was a student at the U of A and we drove across country to see our beloved Hogs....heart breaking loss for sure.  Great Hog team....they were just out of this world amazing.  Thankfully, 35 years later, got to go with my daughter to the game last week in Fayetteville.....thank you Hogs....then and now. Go Hogs!!!!

Swine & Cheese Club

First thing i ever taped up on my wall was the Sports Illustrated cover with Moncrief.  Been a Hog fan ever since.  :razorback:

FYI... second thing was the Farrah Fawcett poster!  8)

McKdaddy

Quote from: avatar on March 26, 2014, 04:41:12 pm

Agreed. Erie will spend 3 pages telling you and I how wrong we are.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

tomw

I cant believe that people are crying still over a game played 35 years ago....Indiana state won the game...get over it...besides, how many games has Arkansas won on perceived bad calls???  reed tripped over his own feet....yall need to get a life and move on

razorback93

Mr. Porkleone

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

dhornjr1

Quote from: BLS50 on March 26, 2014, 09:24:32 pm
I was at the game....was a student at the U of A and we drove across country to see our beloved Hogs....heart breaking loss for sure.  Great Hog team....they were just out of this world amazing.  Thankfully, 35 years later, got to go with my daughter to the game last week in Fayetteville.....thank you Hogs....then and now. Go Hogs!!!!

Did you kick Bryant Gumbel in the nuts?

Hog1952

Remember watching that loss against the bird also.

Nobody played with more heart and passion than Moncrief!