Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FYI, Pelphrey apparently in Play for USF (TSU)

Started by WilsonHog, March 26, 2014, 07:36:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Their top choice, Steve Masiello of Manhattan, is out. Seems there was some type of discrepancy in his background check.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-deal-with-coach-falls-through-20140326/

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy        ✔ @McMurphyESPN
Manhattan's Steve Masiello had USF job offer pulled because he never graduated from Kentucky, as indicated on resume, sources told @ESPN
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PonderinHog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 26, 2014, 08:00:14 am
Manhattan's Steve Masiello had USF job offer pulled because he never graduated from Kentucky, as indicated on resume, sources told @ESPN
Just a minor technicality ???  Another one and done ???

WilsonHog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 26, 2014, 08:00:14 am

That would seem an important detail, and an easily discoverable misrepresentation. Guess Manhattan didn't have the resources to hire a firm to do the investigation.

joeyself

Yeah, Pel can go pick up Heath's pieces again...works every time it's been tried!

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

mbgrulz

Can't hurt our chances with K. Allen. Hope he gets it.

Atlhogfan1

Too bad for Masiello.  Good coach.  Hope this doesn't ruin his career.

I also hope Pelphrey gets another chance and succeeds.  USF is not a good job although maybe it will be a little easier now that it at least stopped having to play Syr, Gtown, Nova etc. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 26, 2014, 11:11:52 am
Can't hurt our chances with K. Allen. Hope he gets it.

Was just thinking about this since Pelphrey is the lead recruiter for Allen. Might take Florida out of the mix if that relationship isn't there. Might not necessarily bump us up and it could just move a school like UConn up in its place, but like you said, it can't hurt.

popcornhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 11:12:18 am
Too bad for Masiello.  Good coach.  Hope this doesn't ruin his career.

I also hope Pelphrey gets another chance and succeeds.  USF is not a good job although maybe it will be a little easier now that it at least stopped having to play Syr, Gtown, Nova etc.

Who does that though?!?! It sounds like he got away with it at Manhattan.

We should all start listing our Harvard and Oxford degrees on job applications if employers aren't checking.
WPS

widespreadsooie

Quote from: popcornhog on March 26, 2014, 11:41:00 am

We should all start listing our Harvard and Oxford degrees on job applications if employers aren't checking.

With the cost of education these days, employers better be doing their due diligence. Ridiculous Manhattan would pay this guy a fat salary without knowing if his resume is falsified or not.

The Boar War

So does Manhatten fire him immediately or start looking at summer courses for him?

The_Iceman

I kinda wonder if he actually knew that he didn't graduate from UK. It could have been a case where he left school thinking he had enough credits and then without his knowledge he was short.

He could also be completely guilty, I don't know any details yet.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: popcornhog on March 26, 2014, 11:41:00 am

Who says he listed graduation from Kentucky when he applied at Manhattan?  He might have been resume padding when looking to move up the food chain.

The Boar War

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 12:23:33 pm
I kinda wonder if he actually knew that he didn't graduate from UK. It could have been a case where he left school thinking he had enough credits and then without his knowledge he was short.

I could see that situation at the end of his final semester only to find out that he was a few credits short.  In a naive trusting world I would assume he had already filled out an application with his presumed graduation date, only to find out the descrepancy after he was hired. 

Mick Hogger

Manhattan just announced he's been placed on leave.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

jacobp

Quote from: The Boar War on March 26, 2014, 12:53:33 pm
I could see that situation at the end of his final semester only to find out that he was a few credits short.  In a naive trusting world I would assume he had already filled out an application with his presumed graduation date, only to find out the descrepancy after he was hired. 
Its doubtful really. Most schools require you to register for graduation. besides, if he didn't know then, he would have known by now. So either way, he's a liar.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 26, 2014, 04:25:31 pm
Manhattan just announced he's been placed on leave.
Wow...Just goes to show that lying never pays off.

azhog10

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 26, 2014, 04:44:53 pm
Also, be happy with what you got.

Smithian

USF just redid their facilities and have transitioned to a much more manageable conference. Good job now for an up and comer or a second chancer.

Smithian

As far as Pelphrey, he would probably do well at USF. He won't be hired due to Heath. No way USF hires two fired Arkansas coaches in a row or you'll see tens of USF basketball diehards perform Seppuku.

Mick Hogger

It would be hell to have to be in an interview and answer questions like:

You went 2-14 in conference? How did that happen?

Most of your recruits spent time suspended. Are you telling us you're capable of evaluating character?

Can you explain this "sometimes a warrior just has to lay there and have a good bleed" comment? Were you having a public meltdown?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hoglady

If Pelphrey hasn't improved as a head coach - he'll make them be longing for Stan Heath in a few years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 26, 2014, 08:35:47 pm
It would be hell to have to be in an interview and answer questions like:

You went 2-14 in conference? How did that happen?

Most of your recruits spent time suspended. Are you telling us you're capable of evaluating character?

Can you explain this "sometimes a warrior just has to lay there and have a good bleed" comment? Were you having a public meltdown?

Lol

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 08:23:06 am
That would seem an important detail, and an easily discoverable misrepresentation. Guess Manhattan didn't have the resources to hire a firm to do the investigation.

So, does Manhattan fire him?  LMAO...

oldhawgs

Quote from: hoglady on March 26, 2014, 08:40:18 pm
If Pelphrey hasn't improved as a head coach - he'll make them be longing for Stan Heath in a few years.
yep

Knot2brite

Oh how about this question....coach Pel...do you just like being coach heath's sloppy seconds?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

The Boar War

Quote from: jacobp on March 26, 2014, 04:29:55 pm
Its doubtful really. Most schools require you to register for graduation. besides, if he didn't know then, he would have known by now. So either way, he's a liar.

Yeah.  There's really no doubt that he knew he didn't earn a degree (even if he chose not to walk).

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 26, 2014, 08:53:16 pm
So, does Manhattan fire him?  LMAO...

Manhattan placed him on leave today.

The Boar War

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 26, 2014, 08:35:47 pm

One of the strangest press conferences in Arkansas history.  Refresh my memory.  Was he asked about his favorite color or was the whole "red" diatribe off the cuff?

WilsonHog

Quote from: The Boar War on March 26, 2014, 10:02:47 pm
One of the strangest press conferences in Arkansas history.  Refresh my memory.  Was he asked about his favorite color or was the whole "red" diatribe off the cuff?

I swear I thought he was on drugs in some of his press conferences toward the end.

secfan30

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 10:13:36 pm
I swear I thought he was on drugs in some of his press conferences toward the end.

Yeah I definitely thought he was at least doing some heavy drinking.

bigredone

Quote from: Smithian on March 26, 2014, 05:19:05 pm
As far as Pelphrey, he would probably do well at USF. He won't be hired due to Heath. No way USF hires two fired Arkansas coaches in a row or you'll see tens of USF basketball diehards perform Seppuku.

Great post for multiple reasons!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: azhog10 on March 26, 2014, 04:58:10 pm
Also, be happy with what you got.
^^^This...

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 26, 2014, 04:44:53 pm
...And this^^^

I hope he gets a chance to be an assistant somewhere so that he can finish up and get that degree.

He seems like he has a promising career as a HC. And he needs the opportunity to feed his family too...So this shouldn't be career ending. He must correct the mistakes made and move forward. But not at USF or Manhattan :)

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8