Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year's team is going to be very good best team Mike has had at ARK

Started by forrest city joe, March 25, 2014, 11:11:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 01:30:06 pm
MA goes with his vets. Nobles, Madden, Haydar, Gulley, etc. No need to guess. The offense will almost certainly run through Madden again next season. Labeling players as PGs and SGs on this team is a bit silly. Yes, Bell is a SG because he never looks to create for anyone else. But it's safe to label everyone else as combo-guards who will share the ball via MA's various groups of five.
I know many on here hate the mere thought of this b/c they've heard about Bell's shot and assume he's a great 3pt shooter, but we are going to have to phase him out if he stays so one dimensional and inconsistent.
If Bell made the NBA, he would break Yinca Dare's record for games played without an assist.

The_Iceman

MA goes with his vets. Nobles, Madden, Haydar, Gulley, Tiller, etc. No need to guess. The offense will almost certainly run through Madden again next season. Labeling players as PGs and SGs on this team is a bit silly. Yes, Bell is a SG because he never looks to create for anyone else. But it's safe to label everyone else as combo-guards who will share the ball via MA's various groups of five.

Who is everyone else next year....Madden and Wagner?

Looks to me like Beard and Durham are the two guys primed to step in and play the PG spot. Otherwise with Mike's rotations and starting who you say, Mike would bring Durham and Beard off the bench together.

Seems to make more sense to split Durham/Beard and Madden/Bell up, with Wagner and Babb as options if needed (don't think either will be able/ready to contribute much next season).

Breems

MA goes with his vets. Nobles, Madden, Haydar, Gulley, Tiller, etc. No need to guess. The offense will almost certainly run through Madden again next season. Labeling players as PGs and SGs on this team is a bit silly. Yes, Bell is a SG because he never looks to create for anyone else. But it's safe to label everyone else as combo-guards who will share the ball via MA's various groups of five.

Running the offense through someone does not make them a PG, e.g. Powell/Rotnei, which is what Iceman is referring to.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 26, 2014, 01:34:28 pm
I know many on here hate the mere thought of this b/c they've heard about Bell's shot and assume he's a great 3pt shooter, but we are going to have to phase him out if he stays so one dimensional and inconsistent.
If Bell made the NBA, he would break Yinca Dare's record for games played without an assist.

Bell's 'good days' are far too valuable to ever risk phasing him out. Far more often than not, MA's teams live & die on perimeter shooting. Now that Clarke's gone, we'll need Bell to hone his shooting ever more next season if we expect to open up the interior for Portis to operate.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2014, 01:37:38 pm
Running the offense through someone does not make them a PG, e.g. Powell/Rotnei, which is what Iceman is referring to.

Oh yeah?

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:34:57 pm

Looks to me like Beard and Durham are the two guys primed to step in and play the PG spot.

He's a big boy Breems. He can defend his position on his own without you cleaning up for him. By definition, the point guard is the backcourt player who directs the team's offense.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Bell's role is to come in and shoot. We aren't asking him to pass.

Hopefully by his Junior season, he can become a more consistent player. He shot 33% from three, which isn't terrible. But we really need for him to get up near 40%.

Breems

If you've ever questioned the legitimacy of the meaning of "streaky" shooter, look no further than our friend Anthlon Bell.

He tried to add some kinks to his game this season. If he keeps doing that in the off-season, he'll probably start.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:39:19 pm
Bell's role is to come in and shoot. We aren't asking him to pass.

Hopefully by his Junior season, he can become a more consistent player. He shot 33% from three, which isn't terrible. But we really need for him to get up near 40%.

No matter what we're "asking" him to do, he needs to be a more complete player, especially when he isn't hitting his shots.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:34:57 pm

Looks to me like Beard and Durham are the two guys primed to step in and play the PG spot. Otherwise with Mike's rotations and starting who you say, Mike would bring Durham and Beard off the bench together.

Seems to make more sense to split Durham/Beard and Madden/Bell up, with Wagner and Babb as options if needed (don't think either will be able/ready to contribute much next season).

You can count on Madden getting right at 30 minutes/game next season. The ball will be in his hands whenever he's on the floor, just as it was for the majority of this season.

I don't necessarily know that MA will agree that a true freshman and/or a spring JUCO will "primed to step in and take over this offense." It would go against what he's done in the past.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 01:37:45 pm
Bell's 'good days' are far too valuable to ever risk phasing him out. Far more often than not, MA's teams live & die on perimeter shooting. Now that Clarke's gone, we'll need Bell to hone his shooting ever more next season if we expect to open up the interior for Portis to operate.
I'm hoping Beard and Durham can be guys who can shoot the 3 and also be assets in at least one other way. If a 31% 3pt shooter, who is a liability in every other way, gets major minutes then we'll be in trouble. Durham's 3pt % is excellent and I've seen Beard stroke it from way down town in person many times. I still say Beard's game reminds me most of Tony Delk. I'll take a freshman, even poor man's version, of Tony Delk over Bell.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 01:42:23 pm
No matter what we're "asking" him to do, he needs to be a more complete player, especially when he isn't hitting his shots.

Fact.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 01:42:23 pm
I like what the Chuckster said after Wiggins bad game against Stanford. He said when his shot was off, he'd make it a point to try that much harder to get rebounds, make other types of plays, etc. So if he came out cold, he would tell himself this is going to be a 20 rebound game for him.

Bell's only recourse when his shot is off is to stop shooting. I still believe we would've had a good chance to beat Cal if MA hadn't played Bell in the 2nd half. I get why MA wanted to play him against the zone, but it was pretty clear it wasn't going to happen for Bell in that one.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 01:42:57 pm
You can count on Madden getting right at 30 minutes/game next season. The ball will be in his hands whenever he's on the floor, just as it was for the majority of this season.

I don't necessarily know that MA will agree that a true freshman and/or a spring JUCO will "primed to step in and take over this offense." It would go against what he's done in the past.

I think the goal will be to get the ball out of Madden's hands as much as we can, so that he can focus on doing the things he does best, like catch and shoot. Madden was deadly this year when he got the chance to catch and release.

Allowing the ball to start with Beard/Durham then transition over to Madden will help out a lot. He isn't really a get the ball and set up the offense type of guard. He showed this year he is at his best when he is attacking. We can relieve him of the pressure of distributing on offense, while taking the scoring pressure off of Beard and Durham as well.

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:51:12 pm
I think the goal will be to get the ball out of Madden's hands as much as we can, so that he can focus on doing the things he does best, like catch and shoot. Madden was deadly this year when he got the chance to catch and release.

Allowing the ball to start with Beard/Durham then transition over to Madden will help out a lot. He isn't really a get the ball and set up the offense type of guard. He showed this year he is at his best when he is attacking. We can relieve him of the pressure of distributing on offense, while taking the scoring pressure off of Beard and Durham as well.

Bingo. Win-win.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2014, 01:52:38 pm
Bingo. Win-win.

To me, it makes absolutely no sense putting Madden at the point and a player like Beard at the 2 spot. "Here Madden, you run the point where you aren't that comfortable, and we will play Beard at the 2-spot where we need him to score."

Instead, relieve the pressure from Beard and tell him to bring the ball up and distribute it to Madden, Qualls, and Portis...and if you happen to get an open look take it. We can get Madden off the ball coming off of screen, maybe getting him some catch and shoot opportunities in the lane like Qualls got some this year.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on March 26, 2014, 09:48:39 am
The posters that bitch about Anderson are the same ones that bitch about Bielema and Long.

B*tches bitch.  It's what they do.

Incorrect. I don't bitch about Long or Bielema.

Nipsey Mussle

Atlhogfan1

While we know it is a guard system, the program's potential success may be led by the post if our staff develops and uses Portis and Kingsley correctly. 

Clarke's impact will have to be addressed.  In terms of per minute production, he was the best F we had in many areas.  Problem is he also took the fouls when our poor defense was beaten and he had to help.  Who is going to do that next season?  Portis?  Can't afford to lose him to foul trouble.  Kingsley?  If Mike plays him it could discourage attacking the basket.  Harris? 

Clarke led the team in steals with 51 (2nd was 35)

Second in assists with 81 (Madden 91, Gulley 65- he had an assist to turnover ratio of 4-1)

Second in rebounds with 190 (Portis 230) but tied with reb per minute played with Portis.

Miles hasn't shown to be an offensive player.  Harris finished second in turnovers while playing the 6th most minutes. The answer may should lie in what many have wanted with Portis and Kingsley together.  Get the offense with Portis, the rim protector with Kingsley plus Kingsley rebounds better and gets to the FT line more than Portis.  However, this may would mean Mike cut down on his sharing of minutes.  He had two players at Mizzou average 30 mpg, Hannah in 07 and Denmon his last season - both guards.  Carroll avg 28 in the E8 season.  Ratliffe and Bowers 24 each in his last season there.  This is the first time Mike has had a combo like this.  We'll see if he figures out how to play them at some point.  Perhaps if Thompson can provide a couple of minutes each half of decent post defense and help prevent the team from losing ground in those minutes, Kingsley and Portis will be used more together.  Would probably mean the second unit is dependent on Harris for any post scoring and rebounding (which he didn't do well).  It is just difficult to discuss Anderson because as his fans point out, it isn't traditional basketball.  Having two post players with Portis' and Kingley's abilities and ceilings would be the envy of almost every coach in college basketball.  Will this staff develop them and use them?  Will we continue to see Kingsley have to guard 20+ feet out? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Adam Stokes

Quote from: jdlew on March 25, 2014, 11:19:01 pm
We should have been in the NCAA this year.....They need to do more than make the NCAA next year....

You guys are jumping on him a little to hard I think.  I'm not sure we "should've" been in the NCAA this year but most of us thought we'd be pretty close, which is where we ended up.  I think I'd be disappointed if you told me we'd be a 10 seed or higher next year.  We should make the tournament and then some.  Not consistent Top 25 squad next year, but we should be pretty close, and I'll likely be disappointed if we don't. 

The good thing is that next year I think 10-8 in conference will likely get us in as long as we don't lay an egg in the non-con.  I expect our RPI as well as most other teams in the conference to better.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 26, 2014, 02:07:53 pm
Mad your boy Pel got fired?

My boy Pel?? Please look through my history and then get back to me. Thanks.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 26, 2014, 02:16:40 pm
My boy Pel?? Please look through my history and then get back to me. Thanks.
Look at my post history and know I was obviously being sarcastic.

RazorPiggie

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 26, 2014, 02:21:27 pm
My apologies.
Not sure where the image went but it said, "if you disagree with anything I say..go kick rocks." That probably would've made the FCJ reference a lot clearer.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:51:12 pm

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 01:58:42 pm
To me, it makes absolutely no sense putting Madden at the point and a player like Beard at the 2 spot. "Here Madden, you run the point where you aren't that comfortable, and we will play Beard at the 2-spot where we need him to score."

Instead, relieve the pressure from Beard and tell him to bring the ball up and distribute it to Madden, Qualls, and Portis...and if you happen to get an open look take it. We can get Madden off the ball coming off of screen, maybe getting him some catch and shoot opportunities in the lane like Qualls got some this year.

You keeping looking at this from a traditional PG/SG, '1/2' role perspective. That's not how MA has primarily used his guards in prior seasons at Arkansas or Missouri. If you were playing with the Hogs on say, some college basketball console game or some other simulation, I would understand the reasoning.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 02:34:34 pm
You keeping looking at this from a traditional PG/SG, '1/2' role perspective. That's not how MA has primarily used his guards in prior seasons at Arkansas or Missouri. If you were playing with the Hogs on say, some college basketball console game or some other simulation, I would understand the reasoning.

If Mike didn't care about traditional PG/SG roles, then I don't understand his strong emphasis with adding a PG to this roster. Otherwise, someone like DeVaughn Purcell would have been offered because he fits our system perfectly.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 02:41:26 pm
If Mike didn't care about traditional PG/SG roles, then I don't understand his strong emphasis with adding a PG to this roster. Otherwise, someone like DeVaughn Purcell would have been offered because he fits our system perfectly.

We had to add quality guards.......PERIOD.  Beard isn't a "true pg", Babb isn't a "true pg", and from what I can tell, Durham isn't a "true pg", either.  He scores 21.2 ppg.  They're all just highly skilled guards, with complete games.

rude1

What Bell were you watching all season? Bell expanded his game a lot this season. Yes he is still a streaky 3 point shooter, but I guess you didn't notice the hustle and desire on the defensive end he displayed this season, something there was none of last season. Also he shot 48% inside the arc, the next expansion to his game is to keep getting better with the 3 ball, and start to move inside the arc for more looks instead of firing the quick 3.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 02:56:41 pm
We had to add quality guards.......PERIOD.  Beard isn't a "true pg", Babb isn't a "true pg", and from what I can tell, Durham isn't a "true pg", either.  He scores 21.2 ppg.  They're all just highly skilled guards, with complete games.

But he also averaged 7 assists per game.

In the game I watched him play online, he played the game as a "true PG" that looked to pass first and get his teammates involved, and score second (even though he was the best player on the team).

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:00:01 am
great we agree: now the bar is set.

now the difference, i don't think coach anderson can do that.

i hope i am wrong.
No you hope you are right. just admit it and move on.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 02:41:26 pm

History shows that MA prefers strong ball-handlers who can push the ball in transition over a traditional PG role in the backcourt. High school, AAU, and/or JUCO players who assume the PG role are usually the better ball-handlers on their teams.

Once the Razorbacks set into their half-court, it's usually been on the three perimeter players to create as a unit (and eventually going '1 on 1' in many cases), using the high post/'4th out,' working it around the perimeter to create opportunities.

As Hogfather stated above, the more 'skilled' the others prove to be (shooting, dribble penetration, vision, etc) will define how often Madden will share the ball with them as a fellow offensive orchestrator in the half-court.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:01:21 pm
But he also averaged 7 assists per game.

In the game I watched him play online, he played the game as a "true PG" that looked to pass first and get his teammates involved, and score second (even though he was the best player on the team).

There were 3 games this entire season that Durham took less than 10 shots.  There were 2 games with 7 shots and 1 game with 9.  The rest were 10+ shot games, with a couple over 20.

That's not usually the sign of a "true pg".

He also averaged 3.5 turnovers per game.

Probably too many turnovers for a "true pg" at the level he's playing at. 

Sure, Beard and Durham are more point guard than they are shooting guard, but they are both scorers, meaning they should be considered more "combo guards" than "true point guards".

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 03:08:36 pm
There were 3 games this entire season that Durham took less than 10 shots.  There were 2 games with 7 shots and 1 game with 9.  The rest were 10+ shot games, with a couple over 20.

That's not usually the sign of a "true pg".

He also averaged 3.5 turnovers per game.

Probably too many turnovers for a "true pg" at the level he's playing at. 

Sure, Beard and Durham are more point guard than they are shooting guard, but they are both scorers, meaning they should be considered more "combo guards" than "true point guards".

Scottie Wilbekin and Tyler Ennis both averaged over 10 shots per game. So what is a true PG?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:11:54 pm
Scottie Wilbekin and Tyler Ennis both averaged over 10 shots per game. So what is a true PG?

You're getting off the subject a bit. Florida and Arkansas don't operate the same way offensively. Billy D likes to incorporate a lot of pick & roll..that's a recipe for a lot of shot attempts & assists for his ball-handlers.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:11:54 pm

This:

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 26, 2014, 03:17:30 pm
You're getting off the subject a bit. Florida and Arkansas don't operate the same way offensively. Billy D likes to incorporate a lot of pick & roll..that's a recipe for a lot of shot attempts & assists for his ball-handlers.

And, Durham averaged closer to 14 shots/game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 03:20:59 pm
This:

And, Durham averaged closer to 14 shots/game.

But when you actually watch him play, you'll notice he plays the game more like a traditional point guard looking to pass first.

When I think of combo guard, I think of Madden. A player who is naturally a shooting guard but can play point guard if needed. Durham is a guard who has the pass-first mindset of a point guard, but can take shots like a shooting guard if needed.

At Arkansas, Durham isn't going to be surrounded by the level of players he was in JUCO. With more talent around him at Arkansas, I'd expect the pass first mentality to come out a lot stronger.

"I'm a distributer, I'm a great leader on and off the court," said Durham, who shot 74.2 percent from the free throw line. "I can score which a point guard in the SEC needs to be able to do. I play defense as well."

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 26, 2014, 03:04:02 pm
No you hope you are right. just admit it and move on.

no, i don't. i root for the hogs, not the coach.

you have your prediction as what is going to happen, and i am entitled to mine.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:27:05 pm
But when you actually watch him play, you'll notice he plays the game more like a traditional point guard looking to pass first.

When I think of combo guard, I think of Madden. A player who is naturally a shooting guard but can play point guard if needed. Durham is a guard who has the pass-first mindset of a point guard, but can take shots like a shooting guard if needed.

At Arkansas, Durham isn't going to be surrounded by the level of players he was in JUCO. With more talent around him at Arkansas, I'd expect the pass first mentality to come out a lot stronger.

"I'm a distributer, I'm a great leader on and off the court," said Durham, who shot 74.2 percent from the free throw line. "I can score which a point guard in the SEC needs to be able to do. I play defense as well."

he isn't going to be playing against the same caliber players, he played against the last two years.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 03:31:54 pm
he isn't going to be playing against the same caliber players, he played against the last two years.

Which is why I'm not expecting him to come in and score 21 a game and drop 7 asts...heck, not even half of that. We did not have guards that could get into the lane and distribute last year. Gulley, Scott, Wade, and Kikko were all limited as guards. I think Beard and Durham will provide much more well rounded basketball skillsets.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:27:05 pm

Durham can be a 'pass-first' guy all day long at Arkansas if he wants. That's how Gulley was for the most part. Durham will have to find his niche among the other guys in the motion, as this offensive system shouldn't allow him to be THE primary ball-handler/distributor. Madden will continue to look to dominate the ball, and Durham/Beard will likely have to adjust to a supporting role.

Nearly every guard we've brought in has discussed playing PG at one time or another prior to attending Arkansas. The better prep players usually end up handling the rock for their team(s).

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 03:37:43 pm
Which is why I'm not expecting him to come in and score 21 a game and drop 7 asts...heck, not even half of that. We did not have guards that could get into the lane and distribute last year. Gulley, Scott, Wade, and Kikko were all limited as guards. I think Beard and Durham will provide much more well rounded basketball skillsets.

ok, because i don't know what to expect of him, basing who he has played against the last two years.

bcdeputy

Quote from: z1on on March 25, 2014, 11:23:23 pm
Like what? Make the final four? I swear some of these so called "fans" won't be happy no matter what.

So unless someone roots for a team the same way you do, they're not considered a "fan"?

Perhaps make the tournament and actually win a game?  Maybe 2?
WOW... WHAT A STRETCH TO THE IMAGINATION THAT WAS!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 03:47:32 pm
ok, because i don't know what to expect of him, basing who he has played against the last two years.

Have you watched him play?

The_Iceman

Now, I don't think Durham/Beard will bring the ball up the middle of the court, stand there and put up two fingers to call out a play, stand there while multiple screens are set, and then pass the ball around. That's not our offense or the way we play. But, I think they will be the default man the ball goes to if the offense breaks down, giving Madden and the other players a chance to regroup. Madden is best when he gets the ball in that spot on the point guard's left, which is his money spot for threes, and with maybe screener giving him the chance to operate. While the Heat have Wade/Lebron/Bosh that dominate the ball, they still have Chalmers as their PG. Madden/Qualls/Portis will be similar in that respect next year.

I think both of them will be able to provide more of a point guards skill set when you compare them to the players we are losing. They both can drive the lane with the intent to distribute, last year most guys only drove it to score. With finishers like Qualls, Portis, and Kingsley; we could desperately use someone that will drive the lane, draw a defender, and make a nice pass to them for the finish.

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 02:11:35 pm
While we know it is a guard system, the program's potential success may be led by the post if our staff develops and uses Portis and Kingsley correctly. 

Clarke's impact will have to be addressed.  In terms of per minute production, he was the best F we had in many areas.  Problem is he also took the fouls when our poor defense was beaten and he had to help.  Who is going to do that next season?  Portis?  Can't afford to lose him to foul trouble.  Kingsley?  If Mike plays him it could discourage attacking the basket.  Harris? 

Clarke led the team in steals with 51 (2nd was 35)

Second in assists with 81 (Madden 91, Gulley 65- he had an assist to turnover ratio of 4-1)

Second in rebounds with 190 (Portis 230) but tied with reb per minute played with Portis.

Miles hasn't shown to be an offensive player.  Harris finished second in turnovers while playing the 6th most minutes. The answer may should lie in what many have wanted with Portis and Kingsley together.  Get the offense with Portis, the rim protector with Kingsley plus Kingsley rebounds better and gets to the FT line more than Portis.  However, this may would mean Mike cut down on his sharing of minutes.  He had two players at Mizzou average 30 mpg, Hannah in 07 and Denmon his last season - both guards.  Carroll avg 28 in the E8 season.  Ratliffe and Bowers 24 each in his last season there.  This is the first time Mike has had a combo like this.  We'll see if he figures out how to play them at some point.  Perhaps if Thompson can provide a couple of minutes each half of decent post defense and help prevent the team from losing ground in those minutes, Kingsley and Portis will be used more together.  Would probably mean the second unit is dependent on Harris for any post scoring and rebounding (which he didn't do well).  It is just difficult to discuss Anderson because as his fans point out, it isn't traditional basketball.  Having two post players with Portis' and Kingley's abilities and ceilings would be the envy of almost every coach in college basketball.  Will this staff develop them and use them?  Will we continue to see Kingsley have to guard 20+ feet out?

I'm curious, I've been thinking of Kingsley and Portis on the court a lot more next year, I mean do you guys think we can run the press effectively with both out there.  TBH Portis is kinda slow.  Usally the 4 we have (Clarke Harris, or Williams) is the guy that guards the inbounder on the press, because they are quick enough to trap in the corner and get back in position.  I can't see Portis doing this.  Kingsley maybe can?  It's going to be interesting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 04:33:13 pm
I'm curious, I've been thinking of Kingsley and Portis on the court a lot more next year, I mean do you guys think we can run the press effectively with both out there.  TBH Portis is kinda slow.  Usally the 4 we have (Clarke Harris, or Williams) is the guy that guards the inbounder on the press, because they are quick enough to trap in the corner and get back in position.  I can't see Portis doing this.  Kingsley maybe can?  It's going to be interesting.

You could go with just straight man-to-man pressure or a 1-2-1-1 zone press.

It might work out better to start out with those two, and then bring in an athletic second unit to throw the jump-switch press at them. The starters will apply more token pressure just to make you work to bring it up, not really looking to force that many turnover, just wear you down. Then the second unit comes in a turns up the heat.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2014, 04:38:28 pm
You could go with just straight man-to-man pressure or a 1-2-1-1 zone press.

It might work out better to start out with those two, and then bring in an athletic second unit to throw the jump-switch press at them. The starters will apply more token pressure just to make you work to bring it up, not really looking to force that many turnover, just wear you down. Then the second unit comes in a turns up the heat.

That's true Iceman.  The question is though is Mike willing to do that?  I really hope he does, because I think Kingsley is a besat, however I feel Harris will still start, and we will see more of Kingsley/Portis together but not as much as people are expecting.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kingsley averages 18 MPG next year, Portis will average about 26, and Harris will average about 20.

TruthHog

Quote from: Temprees on March 26, 2014, 09:54:25 am
Madden will need to improve defensively.  The man that has guarded has killed us in several games.  Cal comes to mind.

Bashing?
Calmer than you are.

acey33

and the next year will be the best team he's ever had...We need more smart basketball players, point guard and some shooters. We also need to learn defensive position and we should have improved on that end as the year went on. I've brought it up more than once...Portis needs to learn how to rotate back quicker on the pick plays and quit trying to cover a guard out at the 3-point line. Stay around the paint. If we continue to get out rebounded 15 or more a game were going to lose 75% of the time. Hopefully Kingsley gets to play more next year and maybe in MA 4th year we get to go dancing...WPS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 04:33:13 pm

It doesn't necessarily require speed to run the press but I agree it does when you guard the inbounds.  IMO, Portis would need to get back instead of spending energy guarding the inbounds and then having to sprint to recover defensively.  Kingsley should be back protecting the rim on breakaways.  Frankly, it sets both up for unnecessary fouls just on the insistence of running our style just as extending the defense in the halfcourt does bringing the two out to guard on switches.  Ice is right in that pressure to delay an opponent setting up their offense and more of a mental and physical bother than aggressive trapping may would be smarter if the two played together.  Could help force pace by Kingsley and Portis getting rebounds and getting the ball out to the guards to push.  End defensive possessions, not pick up fouls because the opponent is getting extra shots which happened a lot this season and have a chance at secondary breaks with two 6-10 players capable of finishing.  Portis should be a 30 mpg player.  Kingsley, if he is healthy, shows the signs of being able to develop into it as well.  Two players capable of double doubles and Kingsley could end up among our program's shot blocking leaders.  But every time I start thinking of how the two could be used I think $&%$*@! Anderson's system and it is about the guards. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.