Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Similarities to 2nd Round NIT in 1987

Started by Baconomics, March 25, 2014, 05:57:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Baconomics

In Nolan's 2nd year at the helm, everyone remembers or heard about the opening round of the NIT and the overtime win against Arkansas State.  But I haven't seen anyone mention the 2nd round game against Nebraska.  We had a major case of the butterfingers and couldn't throw it in the ocean.  We set a gym record scoring 12 points in the first half and trailed by 19 at the break.  We rallied in the 2nd half getting as close as 3 at one point, but we faded a bit and ran out of time.

I couldn't help think of that game when watching that fiasco of a first half last night.  It wasn't a straight-up repeat of the 1987 game, but I looked up a few facts:

1) It was Nolan's 2nd season (Mike's 3rd)
2) Nolan's teams were disappointing even after the ASU win, depending on whom you ask (similar feelings with Mike, especially if he were following Sutton)
3) It was a road game in the 2nd round of the NIT (ditto)
4) We were 3-15 from the field in the first half (3-15 at one point last night before it got even worse, 3-26, and finally a little better)
5) We trailed by 19 at the half (15 last night)
6) We rallied and cut the lead to 3 (got to 8 in the late-going last night)
7) Ran out of time and lost by 7 (lost by 12)

Perhaps the major differences were that the big issue in the 1st half against Nebraska was turnovers (15) and shooting whereas last night it was simply shooting, and the rally in the 2nd half against Nebraska was more impressive.  But it was the same result.

WilsonHog

Quote from: nesjunk on March 25, 2014, 05:57:48 pm
In Nolan's 2nd year at the helm, everyone remembers or heard about the opening round of the NIT and the overtime win against Arkansas State.  But I haven't seen anyone mention the 2nd round game against Nebraska.  We had a major case of the butterfingers and couldn't throw it in the ocean.  We set a gym record scoring 12 points in the first half and trailed by 19 at the break.  We rallied in the 2nd half getting as close as 3 at one point, but we faded a bit and ran out of time.

I couldn't help think of that game when watching that fiasco of a first half last night.  It wasn't a straight-up repeat of the 1987 game, but I looked up a few facts:

1) It was Nolan's 2nd season (Mike's 3rd)
2) Nolan's teams were disappointing even after the ASU win, depending on whom you ask (similar feelings with Mike, especially if he were following Sutton)
3) It was a road game in the 2nd round of the NIT (ditto)
4) We were 3-15 from the field in the first half (3-15 at one point last night before it got even worse, 3-26, and finally a little better)
5) We trailed by 19 at the half (15 last night)
6) We rallied and cut the lead to 3 (got to 8 in the late-going last night)
7) Ran out of time and lost by 7 (lost by 12)

Perhaps the major differences were that the big issue in the 1st half against Nebraska was turnovers (15) and shooting whereas last night it was simply shooting, and the rally in the 2nd half against Nebraska was more impressive.  But it was the same result.

I remember that well. I was in law school at UA.

We were awful, and the culture shock was pretty tough. Coming off Eddie Sutton's mantra of "Discipline, dedication, and defense," we thought aliens had all but invaded Barnhill. We really didn't know what we were seeing, but we knew it was ugly.

Still, I remember being satisfied with the progression at the end of each of Nolan's first three seasons. One big thing he had going for him was landing Ron Huery; that bought Nolan a little goodwill in advance of MayDay and Big O.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 25, 2014, 06:15:01 pm
One big thing he had going for him was landing Ron Huery; that bought Nolan a little goodwill in advance of MayDay and Big O.

"When railroading time comes you can railroad—but not before." Heinlein

And sometime not after either...

Nolan benefitted immeasurably from good timing.  The adoption of the shot clock and the 3 point line in 86-87 played into the sense of panic that made 40 minutes of hell the great success it would be in the late 80's and early 90's.

Even if Anderson could somehow match the talent level and intensity of the players of 1988-1995 he can never recreate the environment.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 25, 2014, 07:24:19 pm
"When railroading time comes you can railroad—but not before." Heinlein

And sometime not after either...

Nolan benefitted immeasurably from good timing.  The adoption of the shot clock and the 3 point line in 86-87 played into the sense of panic that made 40 minutes of hell the great success it would be in the late 80's and early 90's.

Even if Anderson could somehow match the talent level and intensity of the players of 1988-1995 he can never recreate the environment.

Both valid points I hadn't thought of.

It remains to be seen if the power brokers - and the fan base, to the extent they have any away - will be satisfied with less than what we experienced from 1988-95 because Mike is our coach. I can see that, but I can also envision some backlash in a "we wuz had!" mindset.

Oklahawg

Nolan also had the backlash of Huery being caught with a gun (can you imagine today? no big deal) and the issue of a "player who was out of control" being on his roster. It further provoked the fanbase that saw Nolan's brand and style as anything but legit. It was easy to whipser to them, "a thug with a gun"...and have them not remember some of the dark sides of the law seen by Sutton players (Alvin Robertson had a run-in didn't he?).

The heat was on for sure.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

EastexHawg

Corliss Williamson being born and growing up in Russellville sure didn't hurt Nolan's coaching ability. 

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 26, 2014, 01:05:18 pm
Corliss Williamson being born and growing up in Russellville sure didn't hurt Nolan's coaching ability.

Not at all, but the key to winning the national championship was signing Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson. Without them, Corliss isn't nearly as effective.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

JONAS

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 26, 2014, 01:34:42 pm
Not at all, but the key to winning the national championship was signing Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson. Without them, Corliss isn't nearly as effective.

Yep.  Those two made the difference. 

alaback

And back to back tough as nails point guards in Mayberry and Beck.  It only takes a player or two in making the difference between being a 7 to 10 seed and a top 4 seed.