Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all those who don't want Anderson who do you want? I'm for Anderson

Started by FelixJonesorDMAC?, March 25, 2014, 05:52:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3kgthog

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on March 25, 2014, 08:04:06 pm
id bet $1000 we make the big dance next year. provided he  is still coach,
i wanna keep him

Put up or shut up. Once the odds go up in Vegas , post a receipt and show us how "manly" you are. I don't think you actually believe this team can make the dance with what's leaving and what's coming in.

hogfan10

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 10:32:48 pm
There should not even be a discussion on replacements. because Mike is not going anywhere any time soon. so stop.

Stop what? I didn't start the thread, nor did I name any replacement candidates.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 25, 2014, 10:37:29 pm
Put up or shut up. Once the odds go up in Vegas , post a receipt and show us how "manly" you are. I don't think you actually believe this team can make the dance with what's leaving and what's coming in.
Are you freaking kidding me?  i love Kiko and Fred. they gave us all they had while they were here. and they will always be Razorbacks. (they both were walk-ons) and we lose about 6 points a game.A. beard is a better player and athlete.love Ricky scott. but is he really a big loss because he's a senior?he played very little this year. we lose Clark. but we have Harris and Miles to take that spot. and Wade was a decent player and i love him too. but we can do a lot better than Wade. and we are not depending on freshmen to come in and save this team. we have a vet roster coming back.this could very well be the starting line-up for next year.
PF.Bobby Portis
C.Mosses Kingsley
SF.Mike Qualls
2GKyle Madden
PG A. Beard
                             BENCH
-----------------------------------------------------
A. Harris
A. Bell
K. Miles
D. Williams
Nick Babb
That is a vet roster that is not depending on true freshmen to come in and save the program. in fact, most of our main bigtime players are back.(Portis, Madden and Qualls) so get your facts right before you post your garbage.

alaback

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 25, 2014, 07:10:33 pm

Chong Li has spoken

"You are next"

Anderson, no doubt about it.  The Pelphrey guards have cycled out with the exception of Madden.  Put up or shut up time going forward.

alaback

I'll put up.  Not a college sports bettor or any type of bettor for that matter, but I'll do it.  Do I have to go to Vegas to make this happen or can I do it online? 

We're going to the tourney next year, book it.  I have no issue putting my money where my mouth.  What are you going to do if we do make the tourney and I win the bet?  Any moratorium on negative posts for you?  Not saying you are obligated, just wondering.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I'll definitely put money on this team next year to make the dance.

CDBHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 10:56:30 pm
Are you freaking kidding me?  i love Kiko and Fred. they gave us all they had while they were here. and they will always be Razorbacks. (they both were walk-ons) and we lose about 6 points a game.A. beard is a better player and athlete.love Ricky scott. but is he really a big loss because he's a senior?he played very little this year. we lose Clark. but we have Harris and Miles to take that spot. and Wade was a decent player and i love him too. but we can do a lot better than Wade. and we are not depending on freshmen to come in and save this team. we have a vet roster coming back.this could very well be the starting line-up for next year.
PF.Bobby Portis
C.Mosses Kingsley
SF.Mike Qualls
2GKyle Madden
PG A. Beard
                             BENCH
-----------------------------------------------------
A. Harris
A. Bell
K. Miles
D. Williams
Nick Babb
That is a vet roster that is not depending on true freshmen to come in and save the program. in fact, most of our main bigtime players are back.(Portis, Madden and Qualls) so get your facts right before you post your garbage.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: oldhawgs on March 25, 2014, 09:49:11 pm
I figure that Jeff Long gave Tom Collen 7 seasons, I also figure that given the (Pel Pizza Lover's please turn head) improvement each season and a promise of a practice facility that CMA will get about the same. I predict he will have a practice facility in place and be coaching Malik Monk, with or without some of your support.

+1000..... if I could. I'll just have to owe you the other 999.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

snortman

Yeah, I love MA, Love watching uncontested 3's against us, easy layups for the other teams, stupid fouls 30 ft from the bucket, poor shot selections. awesome to watch. I guess when he gets all those 40th ranked classes in we will be back. Can't wait.

Lanny

Crazy talk.  Fortunately Mike Anderson will be at Arkansas for a long time.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Atlhogfan1

These threads only come from his most ardent defenders.

I want Anderson here even though I believe we will waste many years as far as the program reaching its ceiling and with wasted opportunities.  We need closure.  The number one reason to have hired him was to bring closure.  Not close to doing that yet.  Have more excuses to eliminate like he hasn't had time to get his players, it is Pel's/Heath's/Broyles fault, no practice facility etc. 

He is a good enough coach to win enough to keep this job for as long as he wants it.  The expectations will remain low enough and fluid enough so he satisfies his supporters which doesn't take much. 

chortle has it right although I would never insult Mike by comparing the two coaches as men. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: tomw on March 25, 2014, 05:55:53 pm
Anderson isn't the man..never has, never will......greg marshall would be putting a better product on the floor

Are you aware that Greg Marshall reached the NIT in his third year and win the NIT championship his fourth year at Wichita State. He did not reach the NCAA tournament until his fifth year in the program. Prior to Greg Marshall becoming coach at Wichita State they had reached the NCAA tournament three consecutive years. I'm not saying this to tear down Greg Marshall but facts are the facts. Mike did not come in to a program that had been in the big dance three consecutive years. Mike is the guy. I believe by year six if we stay with Mike we will be in the final four.

Kevin

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 25, 2014, 06:38:18 pm
Me too.

The best part about MA......he's home.

he's home is the problem. i don't give a crap whether a coach has arkansas ties or not. 

imo, this program should be in position to win the league, and have a good chance at the sweet 16 every year.

plus, if the choice is stability with mediocre results,or blow it up with another guy.

blow it up with another guy.

i think long chooses stability with mediocre results.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 09:53:08 am
he's home is the problem. i don't give a crap whether a coach has arkansas ties or not. 

imo, this program should be in position to win the league, and have a good chance at the sweet 16 every year.

plus, if the choice is stability with mediocre results,or blow it up with another guy.

Where have you been the last 14 years? I hate to say it Mediocrity for Arkansas basketball program is progress. We have not been to the NCAA tournament since 2008. What make you think that we should be in the sweet 16 without building the program up first? Blow it up it was already blow up with the hiring of Stan Heath and John Pelphrey. We had transfers after transfers during Coach Pelphrey years. I believe Stan did a average job during his time as coach for the Razorbacks but it blew up bad when we hired Pelphrey. With Mike Anderson the program is about to blow up in a good way. We have a practice facility that is getting built and the program is progressing towards making the big dance. Once you get in the dance anything can happen. 

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2014, 10:10:32 am
Where have you been the last 14 years? I hate to say it Mediocrity for Arkansas basketball program is progress. We have not been to the NCAA tournament since 2008. What make you think that we should be in the sweet 16 without building the program up first?

i didn't say sweet 16 this year, in the big dance yes. i would think by year five that the sweet 16 would be reasonable for a program like arkansas.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:17:20 am
i didn't say sweet 16 this year, in the big dance yes. i would think by year five that the sweet 16 would be reasonable for a program like arkansas.

It's year three guy. Pump your brakes!!!!

Kevin

so by year 3, a program like arkansas should not expect to be in the tournament?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:22:01 am
so by year 3, a program like arkansas should not expect to be in the tournament?

With any other coach we would have whether it was right or wrong.  Reasonable expectation before the season before we saw our team or the rest of the SEC was at least the NIT.  After the non conference, reaching the NCAAT was certainly reasonable.  And as it turned out, they could have by beating lesser teams.  But we'll get the rebuttal that the media picked them 8th. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

code red

Rebounding, half court defense and toughness do not exist with Mike's style.  3 years have given us a large enough sample size to see this.  It is not disputable..it is fact.  My question is....why give MA a 7 year contract???   I mean I like Mike for what he did here with the Hogs as an Assistant but, he has not produced above an beyond what we had here before he got the job.  Bruce Pearl has more tournament experience than Mike.  I just see that this style and this coach is not the right fit for Arkansas.  I understand he will get 2 more years but, I predict ultimately he will be gone before the 2017.  Who would I like to see?? It doesn't matter.  This program is in such a bad way that no veteran coach in their right mind would come here.  Flame away but I say an up an comer like Pitino at Minn or Amaker at Harvard.  Just my opinion.  I support Mike as long as he is here.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

cubsfan5150

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:22:01 am

A program like Arkansas... what exactly does that mean?  Arkansas is basically a nobody on the national scale now. 

I'd say we could be considered below many to most of the teams in the SEC.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

code red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 10:31:21 am
With any other coach we would have whether it was right or wrong.  Reasonable expectation before the season before we saw our team or the rest of the SEC was at least the NIT.  After the non conference, reaching the NCAAT was certainly reasonable.  And as it turned out, they could have by beating lesser teams.  But we'll get the rebuttal that the media picked them 8th. 
You are right.  Folks got to understand just how pitaful the SEC was this year.  Seems that Mike and this team gets up for game they wanta get up for.  I think Mike needs to quit it with the nice guy and start busting some rears in practice and calling some of these kids out in the media.  However, I think its too late to pull on the reins.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Kevin

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 26, 2014, 10:45:39 am
A program like Arkansas... what exactly does that mean?  Arkansas is basically a nobody on the national scale now. 

I'd say we could be considered below many to most of the teams in the SEC.

are we not in the sec, do we not pour money into the program, do we not have a great place to play in? that is what i mean.

gosh, you guys have really lowered the bar on this program.

cookies & box drinks for everybody, because we are just happy to participate

code red

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:55:40 am
are we not in the sec, do we not pour money into the program, do we not have a great place to play in? that is what i mean.

Need to send this to Long.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: code red on March 26, 2014, 10:52:36 am
You are right.  Folks got to understand just how pitaful the SEC was this year.  Seems that Mike and this team gets up for game they wanta get up for.  I think Mike needs to quit it with the nice guy and start busting some rears in practice and calling some of these kids out in the media.  However, I think its too late to pull on the reins.

I don't know about calling kids out but he does not command the respect Nolan did from his players.   

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 10:31:21 am

If what you are saying was true the following coaches would have been fired by year 3.

Johnny Dawkins - Stanford Coach
Greg Marshall - Wichita State Coach
Tom Crean - Indiana Coach
Scott Drew - Baylor Coach
Coach K - Duke Coach

If three years determined success of a program than the following coaches would not be at their current schools.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2014, 10:59:54 am
If what you are saying was true the following coaches would have been fired by year 3.

Coach K - Duke Coach

If three years determined success of a program than the following coaches would not be at their current schools.

Problem with your reply is I didn't say that. 

code red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2014, 10:59:54 am

Coach K - Duke Coach

Haith....WILL be done next year if he doesn't make the NCAA.  Its about expectations.

Letsroll1200

The only school in the SEC without a practice facility!!!!!! If we expect big time results can we at least have a practice facility to say that we are big time.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 11:02:03 am
Problem with your reply is I didn't say that.

Yeah you just co sign what Kevin was saying! A program like Arkansas.

cubsfan5150

Yep, that really drags the recruits in.  SEC basketball, can't beat it.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

WilsonHog

"Yeah, I got a gym. Yeah, I got a few fans. Everyone has that. These kids come here to play for me. Me. The University of Arkansas ain't got nothing to do with it."

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 11:31:46 am
"Yeah, I got a gym. Yeah, I got a few fans. Everyone has that. These kids come here to play for me. Me. The University of Arkansas ain't got nothing to do with it."

CHONG LI approved

alwaysondbigscreen

well id be more than happy to, but last time i checked vegas cant take that bet. they are not allowed to make book on sports that the state schools have the chance to participate in.
you on the other hand can
Im sure someone on hogville will be willing to hold the cash at the start of the season.
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

CDBHawg

No, it's not the problem.

Expecting a Sweet 16 every year is unrealistic.

Who do you suggest we hire?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 12:49:09 pm

Good chance at it doesn't = expecting it every year.  Being seeded high enough to where advancing wouldn't be considered surprising or involve upsets would be a way to have a good chance at it.  Things happen in the tourney.  Luck can play a part as do matchups.  But putting yourself in the position to do so is what good programs do even if they sometimes fail once they get to the tournament.

Like I said in another thread, Long is in a no lose as long as basketball is good enough to keep bringing in enough revenue to help pay the bills.  Mike will have some big wins which will keep enough hope alive to keep enough money coming.  No reason for him to spend political capital dealing Anderson when we have football to worry about. 

I agree, in general, once a program has reached its ceiling under a coach and that doesn't equal the program's ceiling, then you should part ways.  We know this situation is unique even though we've gotten ourselves into it for the second time since December 97. 

Kevin

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 12:49:09 pm

i did not expect a sweet 16 this year. i did expect to be in the ncaa tournament this year.

i have said this before. once anderson gets the program he wants, plus, facility then yes i expect to be in the top 4 of the league & playing on saturday or sunday in the ncaa every year.

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 26, 2014, 11:03:10 am
The only school in the SEC without a practice facility!!!!!! If we expect big time results can we at least have a practice facility to say that we are big time.

look at all the success those teams with the facility are having.

funny how all the media thinks bruce pearl will have auburn in the dance is two years, but most of you are ok with anderson getting 5 to do it.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 01:11:20 pm
Good chance at it doesn't = expecting it every year.  Being seeded high enough to where advancing wouldn't be considered surprising or involve upsets would be a way to have a good chance at it.  Things happen in the tourney.   

Okay, so expect a 4 seed or higher every year.

Yeah, it's the same thing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 02:16:25 pm
Okay, so expect a 4 seed or higher every year.

Yeah, it's the same thing.

Not every year.  You are trying to exaggerate to make others seem extreme. 

SexyBeast77

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 25, 2014, 05:52:18 pm
We live and die in this system and I'm for that.  Without it, we will stay mediocre for many years. 

Um what? What about those 68 teams in the Tournament this year? They don't play Anderson's system and they're doing just fine.  This idea that we must win in Anderson/Nolan's style is nonsense. There are plenty of other ways to win. And no it's not Anderson's way or Slow Boring Big 10 Ball, that's a false dilema.
    Actually, I would have any other coach in the SEC over Anderson EXCEPT for
Miss St., Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee.
   And why do people think different players in Anderson's failed system of jacked threes will work. We still won't throw it in the post or in the lane. Different players to miss threes. Yessss!

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 01:50:52 pm
i did not expect a sweet 16 this year. i did expect to be in the ncaa tournament this year.

i have said this before. once anderson gets the program he wants, plus, facility then yes i expect to be in the top 4 of the league & playing on saturday or sunday in the ncaa every year.

How is Mike being home the problem?

If not MA, then who?

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 02:19:48 pm
Not every year.  You are trying to exaggerate to make others seem extreme.

Your words, not mine.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 01:11:20 pm
Good chance at it doesn't = expecting it every year. Being seeded high enough to where advancing wouldn't be considered surprising or involve upsets would be a way to have a good chance at it.   

Not involving upsets would be a 4 seed or higher every year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 02:23:34 pm
Your words, not mine.

Not involving upsets would be a 4 seed or higher every year.

or involve upsets

See, I expect childish replies like yours.  Went through this for years during the Nutt era.  I didn't specify a seed.  We can debate on what that may be to where it wouldn't be a surprise.  Do you expect to be a 9-12 seed every year?  No, of course not. Well I would hope not.  Do you want to get bogged down in an immature conversation so you can believe you are defending something or someone?

Kevin

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 02:21:38 pm
How is Mike being home the problem?

If not MA, then who?

the problem is nostalgia. fans give him more of a pass than any other coach. if his last name was not anderson, the coach would be feeling heat.

anderson will never be under pressure here, that is the problem.

why do i have to name someone, anderson is not going anywhere

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 26, 2014, 02:31:31 pm
or involve upsets

See, I expect childish replies like yours.  Went through this for years during the Nutt era.  I didn't specify a seed.  We can debate on what that may be to where it wouldn't be a surprise.  Do you expect to be a 9-12 seed every year?  No, of course not. Well I would hope not.  Do you want to get bogged down in an immature conversation so you can believe you are defending something or someone?

lol

You brought it up. I wasn't even quoting you.

End of the day MA has improved every year he's been here. If the NCAAs are not reached next year, then expectations were not met.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 02:37:54 pm
the problem is nostalgia. fans give him more of a pass than any other coach. if his last name was not anderson, the coach would be feeling heat.

I disagree.

Quoteanderson will never be under pressure here, that is the problem.

This is false.

Quotewhy do i have to name someone, anderson is not going anywhere

So you wish to complain about what you view as a problem, but refuse to provide a solution. Hence, more complaining.

Kevin

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 02:40:17 pm
lol

You brought it up. I wasn't even quoting you.

End of the day MA has improved every year he's been here. If the NCAAs are not reached next year, then expectations were not met.

the team on the floor the last 4 games, was it any better than the team in maui

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 02:42:46 pm

Bama - No
USC -e - Yes
Indiana St. - Yes
Cal - Close, but no.(shooting woes)

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 02:42:46 pm

The team on the floor the last 13 games, was it any better than the team in Maui?