Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all those who don't want Anderson who do you want? I'm for Anderson

Started by FelixJonesorDMAC?, March 25, 2014, 05:52:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 27, 2014, 08:52:09 am
Even you have to admit we still have too many unknowns . Will the new PG'S be able to handle it in year one ? Who is going to be the consistant outside shooters ? Will our big's fill out and develop into a force inside instead of getting pushed around ? We are 1 or 2 injuries away from being in trouble . Will we finally find an on-court leader ? Will we ever find an offensive identity ? Will the REF's ever let us play without calling touch fouls ? This one I doubt because most don't like to run and hate fast paced play . Does Moses get stronger and become an inside force that we need ? Hopefully TREY T becomes a Dwight Stewert  type player for us . Lots of questions still to be answered . ALL pieces we need to make a run to the NCAA tourney
Well, the one answer I can give you out of that is Thompson won't ever become Dwight Stewart. Their games are much different from one another. Thompson is more like a shorter version of Lee Wilson.

hogfan10

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 02:17:21 am
Heath was fired too soon.

Pel was doing a terrible job and got 1 more year than he deserved.

If you or anyone else can't see the difference between what MA is doing compared to what Pel was doing, then we simply cannot talk basketball. I require those I discuss basketball with to have at least a smidgen of knowledge.

Anderson has us on track. As long as we only lose seniors (and those who didn't contribute) we will be an Ncaa tournament team next year. I'm willing to make a "loser leaves Hogville" bet with anyone on that. The haters who don't believe MA will get it done, step up! If you don't, I'll know you're just hating....which is fine I guess.

I'm confident there are individuals on here that I don't want to challenge intellectually, but I'm positive you're not him.

What I can see is, that because of the work that Heath and Pelphry put in, that Anderson walked into a better situation than either of the other 2. I can see that if Anderson's name was Jones, that most would want him gone by now.
I can see that if Heath was given 1 more year, he might of had us going to the tournament for the second consecutive year (now that was progress). What I couldn't see was what was going on with APR with regards to Heath.
I can see that Pel had his best recruiting class yet (top 5 nationally) coming in when we decided to let him go. He also, apparantly, did the leg work to help our APR situation.

What you won't see is where I've called for Anderson to be let go, so give it a rest!

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 12:00:39 pm

What I can see is, that because of the work that Heath and Pelphry put in, that Anderson walked into a better situation than either of the other 2. I can see that if Anderson's name was Jones, that most would want him gone by now.

Anderson walked into a much tougher situation than either of those two. Heath had the recent success to build off of. Pel inherited a back to back NCAAT team.

I can see that if Heath was given 1 more year, he might of had us going to the tournament for the second consecutive year (now that was progress).

Heath already had us going for consecutive years. We probably shouldn't of fired him.

I can see that Pel had his best recruiting class yet (top 5 nationally) coming in when we decided to let him go. He also, apparantly, did the leg work to help our APR situation.

Pel had proven that a great recruiting class does nothing if you can't coach/keep them.

What you won't see is where I've called for Anderson to be let go, so give it a rest!

You're right.

WilsonHog

I'm confident there are individuals on here that I don't want to challenge intellectually, but I'm positive you're not him.

I can see that if Heath was given 1 more year, he might of had us going to the tournament for the second consecutive year (now that was progress). What I couldn't see was what was going on with APR with regards to Heath.

Anyone who would want any basketball coach gone after the three years ours has posted needs to be institutionalized.

hogfan10

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 12:46:19 pm
Anderson walked into a much tougher situation than either of those two. Heath had the recent success to build off of. Pel inherited a back to back NCAAT team.

Heath already had us going for consecutive years. We probably shouldn't of fired him.

Pel had proven that a great recruiting class does nothing if you can't coach/keep them.

You're right.

Agree with part.
Disagree with Heath having a better situation. Our recent history (when Heath came) was not of great success. In 2000 we squeaked into the NCAA's by winning the SEC tourn., and we didn't go dancing in 2002. In fact in the 3 years prior to Heath our NCAA record was 0-2, and in the 3 appearances prior to that we were 4-3 in the tournament.  Combined with our moderate, at best, success in the 6 years prior to Heath, he also had the pleasure of dealing with a racial discrimination lawsuit filed against the athletic depart he now worked for. Hardly a better situation than Anderson's. As a side note I had forgotten that Heath took us to the tournament twice (I have only been giving him credit for one appearance).
As for Pel, I don't think until his final class (which he never coached), did he ever have a great recruiting class, rankings wise.

hogfan10

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 01:10:14 pm
Anyone who would want any basketball coach gone after the three years ours has posted needs to be institutionalized.

Exactly how did you get that from my post?

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 01:28:52 pm
Agree with part.
Disagree with Heath having a better situation. Our recent history (when Heath came) was not of great success. In 2000 we squeaked into the NCAA's by winning the SEC tourn., and we didn't go dancing in 2002. In fact in the 3 years prior to Heath our NCAA record was 0-2, and in the 3 appearances prior to that we were 4-3 in the tournament.  Combined with our moderate, at best, success in the 6 years prior to Heath, he also had the pleasure of dealing with a racial discrimination lawsuit filed against the athletic depart he now worked for. Hardly a better situation than Anderson's. As a side note I had forgotten that Heath took us to the tournament twice (I have only been giving him credit for one appearance).
As for Pel, I don't think until his final class (which he never coached), did he ever have a great recruiting class, rankings wise.

Pel had a top 15 class in 2008. He also inherited a top 15 2006 class that were sophomores.

The_Iceman

Kevin

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 09:17:02 am
Same thing that happened to Duke their last 2 out of 3. They lost them.

Using 4 games to summarize our season is weak, let it go.

funny, how when it is bad news (looking at the record) it is weak, but when it good news it is fine.

the whole sec + tournament
2-6
8-1
0-2
nit
1-1

so which part of the schedule would you like to breakdown. the three parts that equal 3-9 or the one part that equals 8-1

all you guys would to point to the 8-1, & overall 22 wins to say how they have improved.

well, look at the total body of the sec & nit, and the record is a very mediocre 11-10.

so again, was the team improving throughout the year or just hit a soft part of the schedule.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2014, 01:45:43 pm
funny, how when it is bad news (looking at the record) it is weak, but when it good news it is fine.

the whole sec + tournament
2-6
8-1
0-2
nit
1-1

so which part of the schedule would you like to breakdown. the three parts that equal 3-9 or the one part that equals 8-1

all you guys would to point to the 8-1, & overall 22 wins to say how they have improved.

well, look at the total body of the sec & nit, and the record is a very mediocre 11-10.

so again, was the team improving throughout the year or just hit a soft part of the schedule.

No one is saying it isn't mediocre. Sure it was. But it was improvement. I'll say it again, improvement. If we had finished under 20 wins and 8-10 in conference, I'd see your point. But that's not the case. Throw away the rent-a-wins and we were 15-12. I understand that's not great, but it's improvement.

We are headed in the right direction. Next year if we miss the NCAAT, it will be a disappointment.

I'm sure you'll jump on the bandwagon once we get there.

bigredone

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 25, 2014, 06:23:19 pm
Anderson is who I want.

Me too. If we get the same level of improvement next year that we got this year I see a Sweet 16 team.

hogfan10

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 27, 2014, 01:37:51 pm
Pel had a top 15 class in 2008. He also inherited a top 15 2006 class that were sophomores.

Who was in the 2006 class? I thought he inheritted pretty much a complete team when he come to Arkansas (Townes, Hill, Thomas, etc.). He couldn't have brought in more than 1/2 players. After his first year in which he pretty much lost the entire team do to their eligibility running out, he was pretty much in scramble mode just to put a team on the court. It appeared he was finally starting to put some peices together, and we fired him b/4 we could find out.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 25, 2014, 05:52:18 pm
Also what style of play do you want to see?  And if you wanna keep coach Anderson, tell us why like I'm about too.

My choice is to stick with Anderson.  I have seen progress and I see the one missing piece being a PG and he sees it too with the two coming in next year.  I don't want to see another Heath offense here.  I don't want to gamble for an up and comer.  Anthony Grant was a hot up and comer and Bama is still terrible and yes I know we got pummeled but with the addition of a leader at point that won't happen again.  Anderson's system can and has worked with the right pieces it is built for the big dance, we just have to tolerate the big swings.  If you don't believe in having big swings up being up or down big in games, go watch 40 minutes of Hell on Netflix and see for yourself that it happened in our championship season.  We live and die in this system and I'm for that.  Without it, we will stay mediocre for many years.  Under Anderson I think we will see consistent big dances starting next year with the right point guard.

The only way I would replace MA even with a Pitino type coach is if we completely flopped after NEXT year.

Honest question.  No jabbing at each other.

Yea I mean the programs improving, as another poster said we just had our best season in six years, and it's going to be really up and down.  Personally I'd rather have going to the final four one year and missing the tourney the next year then going both years and losing the in the first or second rounds.  Also, what about when he is adding talent onto guys he had for four years? Like when every year we have guys like bell and qualls as seniors?  We haven't had that in a while.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 01:31:06 pm
Exactly how did you get that from my post?

From this sentence:

"I can see that if Anderson's name was Jones, that most would want him gone by now."

hogfan10

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 03:09:50 pm
From this sentence:

"I can see that if Anderson's name was Jones, that most would want him gone by now."

I didn't realize the the word "most" meant "me", "I", or "hogfan10". I guess that's why you're an administrator, and I'm not. Your interpretation skills are obviously above all other!

Kevin

anderson gets all the benefits because he sat on the bench in 1994.

i wish he would have gotten the job right after nolan, that way he would either be at nolan's level of wins by now  or gone.

but the same 3 year record on another coach and yes, more people on here would be questioning the direction of the program.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Melorock089

I'm not that educated to be honest about basketball.

Here's the big question though. Is Mike set in his ways? Has he shown he can adapt to the changing nature of the game? I'm not nuanced enough to tell.

I think he's pretty smart and want to believe he can adjust his style if needed, but again I don't know.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 03:20:39 pm
I didn't realize the the word "most" meant "me", "I", or "hogfan10". I guess that's why you're an administrator, and I'm not. Your interpretation skills are obviously above all other!

The word "most" certainly does not mean "me," "I," or "hogfan10."

That is why I framed my response to your statement in terms of "anyone."

So, at least in this instance, you would seem to be partially correct. My interpretation skills are above yours; "all other" assumes facts not in evidence.

bigredone

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 01:28:52 pm
Agree with part.

The only thing better for Anderson is the that people that created the situation that brought on the discrimination suit are no longer in control of athletics at the U of A. Read the judge's ruling.

Following Pel was not a good situation. Too many things were out of control. Some of those situations started under Heath but they really came to the forefront under Pel.

Heath had it tough because he was replacing the best basketball coach in AR history. That is never an enviable position. He apparently tried to take shortcuts in recruiting resulting in the awful APR.

Pel had some personal issues that he was dealing with and just was not ready for such a high profile job. I suspect he is either an outstanding assistant or he saved Donovan's life at some point. Donovan really supports him. Pel did not leave a program on the upswing despite the supposed great class of recruits.

hogfan10

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 04:17:20 pm
The word "most" certainly does not mean "me," "I," or "hogfan10."

That is why I framed my response to your statement in terms of "anyone."

So, at least in this instance, you would seem to be partially correct. My interpretation skills are above yours; "all other" assumes facts not in evidence.

Fair enough, like I said that's why you're an admin and I'm not. In my faulty interpretation skills I assumed you considered me in the class of "all other" or "anyone".
Obviously I was wrong about that, right?

hogfan10

Quote from: bigredone on March 27, 2014, 04:25:28 pm
The only thing better for Anderson is the that people that created the situation that brought on the discrimination suit are no longer in control of athletics at the U of A. Read the judge's ruling.

Following Pel was not a good situation. Too many things were out of control. Some of those situations started under Heath but they really came to the forefront under Pel.

Heath had it tough because he was replacing the best basketball coach in AR history. That is never an enviable position. He apparently tried to take shortcuts in recruiting resulting in the awful APR.

Pel had some personal issues that he was dealing with and just was not ready for such a high profile job. I suspect he is either an outstanding assistant or he saved Donovan's life at some point. Donovan really supports him. Pel did not leave a program on the upswing despite the supposed great class of recruits.

So in your opinion when was public sentiment the highest; when Heath took over, when Pel took over, or when Anderson took over?

Heath - Racial discrimination lawsuit, brought on by NR; program enduring a downslide.
Pel - APR nightmare, so bad that we had coaches back away from the job (BCG,DA); class distribution being a nightmare (Sr., Jr., etc.).
Anderson - APR cleared up, best recruiting class in 15+ years (all committed to Pel), for the most part total fan support.

bigredone

Quote from: Melorock089 on March 27, 2014, 03:57:10 pm
I'm not that educated to be honest about basketball.

Here's the big question though. Is Mike set in his ways? Has he shown he can adapt to the changing nature of the game? I'm not nuanced enough to tell.

I think he's pretty smart and want to believe he can adjust his style if needed, but again I don't know.

All coaches have a system they teach and believe in. The good coaches may make an adjustment for a single reason in a game but they do not abandon the system they believe in because they would never be able to recruit the players they need for a system. All systems of basketball have flaws but having players that are able to execute that system minimizes the flaws.

If you have the best zone defense in the world you are still susceptible to someone getting a hot hand. The best man to man defense can be broken down with a penetrating guard that is just quicker than his defender.

Coach Anderson's system is susceptible to a team keeping its team discipline. Everything in his defense is about forcing the opponent to make bad decisions causing the tempo to increase and turnovers. The secondary thing his defense tries to force is fatigue, both mental and physical. They never want the ball handler feeling secure, they need him questioning himself on everything. They want to take the fun out of the game for the opponent and make it hard work. That is also the reason they don't mind giving up some fouls, most players don't like being pushed around. They will give up some layups or wide open threes to get the other team to break discipline.

His system is also susceptible to not having players buy in completely. They have to be willing to give up being the "star" more so than some systems.

I don't see Coach Anderson giving up on his system, just as I don't see Coach K giving up on his just because he was drummed out in the first round. Coach Anderson was a lot closer to meeting expectations than Coach K was this year. There were people pushing for Duke to be a one seed.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 04:28:57 pm
Fair enough, like I said that's why you're an admin and I'm not. In my faulty interpretation skills I assumed you considered me in the class of "all other" or "anyone".
Obviously I was wrong about that, right?

You tell me.

The fact that you made the statement to which I referred, then in the same post said that you haven't called for Anderson to be let go, certainly creates an air of ambiguity about your position.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2014, 03:50:38 pm
anderson gets all the benefits because he sat on the bench in 1994.

i wish he would have gotten the job right after nolan, that way he would either be at nolan's level of wins by now  or gone.

but the same 3 year record on another coach and yes, more people on here would be questioning the direction of the program.

Yes and that was the direction hogfan10 was going with his comment as well.  We know the direction some wanted to take this forum this season from the preemptive pre-season post that basically said they wanted this forum to be like EI.  The start of SEC play combined with opening with the A&M loss ended that. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogfan10

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 05:01:09 pm
You tell me.

The fact that you made the statement to which I referred, then in the same post said that you haven't called for Anderson to be let go, certainly creates an air of ambiguity about your position.

How so?

Have I called for Anderson to be fired? The answer is a resounding NO!

Do I believe that if Anderson's name was Jones, or let's say Nutt, that many of the Anderson supporters would change their tune? Yes I do.

Evidently you are incapable of criticizing someone while simultaneously supporting them.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2014, 05:09:02 pm
Yes and that was the direction hogfan10 was going with his comment as well.  We know the direction some wanted to take this forum this season from the preemptive pre-season post that basically said they wanted this forum to be like EI.  The start of SEC play combined with opening with the A&M loss ended that.

No, what ended that (because I was the one who made the post) was that I woke up one morning and wondered why I was actually taking time out of my day to babysit people who didn't have the capacity to engage in civil discourse.

Nipsey Mussle

There's not one rational person who would be calling for Anderson's job right now, regardless of race or history with our program.
The best part is that most of you who say Anderson gets a lifetime pass have been on his butt since he took the job. I'm glad I don't get a pass like that at my job.

bigredone

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 04:37:02 pm
So in your opinion when was public sentiment the highest; when Heath took over, when Pel took over, or when Anderson took over?

Heath - Racial discrimination lawsuit, brought on by NR; program enduring a downslide.
Pel - APR nightmare, so bad that we had coaches back away from the job (BCG,DA); class distribution being a nightmare (Sr., Jr., etc.).
Anderson - APR cleared up, best recruiting class in 15+ years (all committed to Pel), for the most part total fan support.

Anderson had the highest expectations by people who were unrealistic of the situation as it was. That is why I almost wished he had not taken the job, people thought he could walk on water and would have us in the Final Four immediately. That is why it is important to have a good AD in place, the fans should not make day to day decisions on the program. Our influence is more long term, buy tickets and merchandise or not. From reading your posts in earlier threads it is very clear that nothing Coach Anderson ever accomplishes will be enough to overcome the one issue you have with him. I do think for most fans we at least hope for the best with Coach Anderson. I obviously do not include you among those fans.

You are still talking about a recruiting class that did not fit any system. They had stars and if you broke them up over several different programs they might have all been great players. That class being on one team it did not work out. There was no recruiting to the needs of Pel's system because he never proved that he had one. There has to be a plan in regards to recruiting. When you put that alongside the issues that Pel himself was dealing with he was not ready for the big time. I have no ill will toward Pel and hope that he does well with his future.

You still believe that the issue was Nolan's alone despite the fact that the judge found evidence of racism but that Nolan was not fired because of racism. The fault actually lay with Broyles and White and their unwillingness to even talk to Nolan (again, per the judge in his ruling). There were specific details of Broyles trying to get the media turned against Nolan. Nolan then got the best of him by winning the SEC tournament. If your boss was going behind your back trying to turn others against you how would you react? I guess on the plantation Nolan was supposed to grin and bear it. You also don't believe that having that bad of a boss would affect things like recruiting? Being on the hotseat is not a situation the helps recruit against other schools.

If we did not know about the APR issue it would appear that Heath got fired too quickly. I would agree it looked like things were improving as long as you don't count the butts in the seats. No one wanted to see those teams play. That alone will get a coach fired. At the time, being ignorant of the APR issues, I thought the firing was too quick. I really thought it was just another bad move by an AD that was too worried about going golfing. Now, with the APR issues and the lack of butts in the seats I have to agree that something needed to be done. Again, no hate here for Heath.

After all that I am not sure what you think public sentiment is. All the members of Hogville make up a very small portion of Razorback fans. We are probably the craziest subset of fans and have some outrageous views. I never pretend to speak for the majority but I do try to deal with facts where they can be known.

I also realize that  not everyone agrees with me on my views of the man who was a great football coach but severely lacking as an actual AD. I do know for certain that the judge ruled that there was racism on behalf of the school with regards to Nolan even if that was not the reason he is no longer coach. That fact cannot be argued, and those responsible are no longer in position to put the school at risk of another racial discrimination suit.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 05:01:09 pm
You tell me.

Since you've now owned Hogfan10, I'll throw another question at you. If your name is Tom Bennett, did you get Wilson from Castaway?

WilsonHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 05:39:52 pm
Since you've now owned Hogfan10, I'll throw another question at you. If your name is Tom Bennett, did you get Wilson from Castaway?

No, it's where I live.

bigredone

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 27, 2014, 05:09:39 pm
How so?

Have I called for Anderson to be fired? The answer is a resounding NO!

Do I believe that if Anderson's name was Jones, or let's say Nutt, that many of the Anderson supporters would change their tune? Yes I do.

Evidently you are incapable of criticizing someone while simultaneously supporting them.

From your posts in earlier threads you felt that Nolan could do nothing right and Broyles/White could not have done anything wrong. You now think that Anderson can do nothing right. Heath took a bad situation and made it worse (APR). Pel was perfect and had everything going good. Does that about sum your outlook up?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 05:43:04 pm
No, it's where I live.
I guess I'm not familiar. If your last name was Jones and not Bennett many on here would be calling for your head (I'm sure that NEVER happens lol).  I enjoy Hogfan10 logic.

phadedhawg

I am fine with Mike but some of that comes from the notion that I don't think we could tempt anybody better.  He still has another year (in my book) to show whether he is gonna turn this thing around. 

If I had my rathers Nolan would have been the coach a few more seasons and maybe more after that.  It would be been easier finding a good coach after Nolan if his departure hadn't been so shady.

bigredone

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 27, 2014, 05:52:18 pm
I am fine with Mike but some of that comes from the notion that I don't think we could tempt anybody better.  He still has another year (in my book) to show whether he is gonna turn this thing around. 

If I had my rathers Nolan would have been the coach a few more seasons and maybe more after that.  It would be been easier finding a good coach after Nolan if his departure hadn't been so shady.

I agree. The natural flow would have been Mike after Nolan and we might be arguing about some other coaches name by now or trying to figure out what was left to name for Coach Anderson if things went really well.

Breems

We're truly not in that bad of shape. The negative voices are just naturally louder when you end your season on a bad note, although ending with postseason for the first time in however many years isn't that bad.

The pressure is on for next season. I got a taste this year and will be pissed if we don't make the Big Dance next year. Nothing by year 5 and I shall scream for fire and brimstone.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HouSwine

Quote from: code red on March 26, 2014, 10:52:36 am
You are right.  Folks got to understand just how pitaful the SEC was this year.  Seems that Mike and this team gets up for game they wanta get up for.  I think Mike needs to quit it with the nice guy and start busting some rears in practice and calling some of these kids out in the media.  However, I think its too late to pull on the reins.
So help me understand. How pitiful was the SEC this year?

phadedhawg

Quote from: HouSwine on March 27, 2014, 06:33:05 pm
So help me understand. How pitiful was the SEC this year?

Maybe it's cause we only got 3 teams in the Sweet 16?? lolol

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on March 27, 2014, 06:07:51 pm
We're truly not in that bad of shape. The negative voices are just naturally louder when you end your season on a bad note, although ending with postseason for the first time in however many years isn't that bad.

The pressure is on for next season. I got a taste this year and will be pissed if we don't make the Big Dance next year. Nothing by year 5 and I shall scream for fire and brimstone.
The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores, especially big men.

hogfan10

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 05:39:52 pm

Exactly how was I owned?

hogfan10

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 05:46:08 pm
I guess I'm not familiar. If your last name was Jones and not Bennett many on here would be calling for your head (I'm sure that NEVER happens lol).  I enjoy Hogfan10 logic.

I'm glad you enjoy my posts, but I'm not so sure you understand logic.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogfan10

Quote from: bigredone on March 27, 2014, 05:44:06 pm
From your posts in earlier threads you felt that Nolan could do nothing right and Broyles/White could not have done anything wrong. You now think that Anderson can do nothing right. Heath took a bad situation and made it worse (APR). Pel was perfect and had everything going good. Does that about sum your outlook up?

Any posts I've made with regards to NR in earlier discussions had to do with his dismissal from the U of A. At no point (at least that I remember) have I spoken about his qualities as a basketball coach. Which I happen to think were many. The only times I've brought up Heath or Pel was when the discussion leaned toward MA having a more difficult situation than what they had.

I don't live on this board, therefore I do not post often, and when I do it is in spurts, and usually involves topics I like; but if you would like to look at my posting history I'm confident you will find a post where I have complimented this years team, MA, and even NR.

For you or anybody else to assume you know what my stance is on SH or JP would be crazy. My posts regarding either of them have been focused on a very limited subject matter.

So to answer your question:

NR - Great coach
SH - Not sure, tend to think average based on career, but looked like he was making some headway at UofA. Average maybe a little above.
Pel - Average to below average, but I would have liked for him to have been given the opportunity to coach his last class of recruits.
MA- Average to Above Average. Evidently he will have plenty of time at UofA to prove to us which it is.

Porked Tongue

incHOGnito

I am still on the CMA bandwagon, but if he were to go, Archie Miller would be on my short list.

hogfan10

Quote from: bigredone on March 27, 2014, 05:36:12 pm
Anderson had the highest expectations by people who were unrealistic of the situation as it was. That is why I almost wished he had not taken the job, people thought he could walk on water and would have us in the Final Four immediately. That is why it is important to have a good AD in place, the fans should not make day to day decisions on the program. Our influence is more long term, buy tickets and merchandise or not. From reading your posts in earlier threads it is very clear that nothing Coach Anderson ever accomplishes will be enough to overcome the one issue you have with him. I do think for most fans we at least hope for the best with Coach Anderson. I obviously do not include you among those fans.

You are still talking about a recruiting class that did not fit any system. They had stars and if you broke them up over several different programs they might have all been great players. That class being on one team it did not work out. There was no recruiting to the needs of Pel's system because he never proved that he had one. There has to be a plan in regards to recruiting. When you put that alongside the issues that Pel himself was dealing with he was not ready for the big time. I have no ill will toward Pel and hope that he does well with his future.

You still believe that the issue was Nolan's alone despite the fact that the judge found evidence of racism but that Nolan was not fired because of racism. The fault actually lay with Broyles and White and their unwillingness to even talk to Nolan (again, per the judge in his ruling). There were specific details of Broyles trying to get the media turned against Nolan. Nolan then got the best of him by winning the SEC tournament. If your boss was going behind your back trying to turn others against you how would you react? I guess on the plantation Nolan was supposed to grin and bear it. You also don't believe that having that bad of a boss would affect things like recruiting? Being on the hotseat is not a situation the helps recruit against other schools.

If we did not know about the APR issue it would appear that Heath got fired too quickly. I would agree it looked like things were improving as long as you don't count the butts in the seats. No one wanted to see those teams play. That alone will get a coach fired. At the time, being ignorant of the APR issues, I thought the firing was too quick. I really thought it was just another bad move by an AD that was too worried about going golfing. Now, with the APR issues and the lack of butts in the seats I have to agree that something needed to be done. Again, no hate here for Heath.

After all that I am not sure what you think public sentiment is. All the members of Hogville make up a very small portion of Razorback fans. We are probably the craziest subset of fans and have some outrageous views. I never pretend to speak for the majority but I do try to deal with facts where they can be known.

I also realize that  not everyone agrees with me on my views of the man who was a great football coach but severely lacking as an actual AD. I do know for certain that the judge ruled that there was racism on behalf of the school with regards to Nolan even if that was not the reason he is no longer coach. That fact cannot be argued, and those responsible are no longer in position to put the school at risk of another racial discrimination suit.

The recruiting class was 4 pieces of a 5 piece puzzle. Point guard (BJY), shooting guard (KM), small forward (HM), power forward (DA). Like most college basketball teams we wouldn't of had a true center, but we did have MP who played well with his back to the basket.

As far as NR, FB, & JW are concerned. I'm not sure how NR endured racism at the UofA. He was never denied a promotion/raise at any time he was here. By definition, racism is the act of preventing another the opportunity based on race, or in other words holding them back. The judge didn't rule on racism, the judge stated in his ruling that he believed NR believed he was the victim of racism. What affected NR's recruiting was NR. He didn't want to be bothered with super star recruits and their handlers (can't say that I blame him), so he started beating the bushes looking for diamonds in the ruff. The last two years NR was here his one and only boss was JW, at NR's request. FB had nothing to do with men's basketball.

FB & JW were not dismissed (or retire) because of the NR dismissal. They were both actively carrying out their respective duties as university employees well into JP's Arkansas career (7 yrs after NR).

You are one of few who thinks that the great football coach was not a great AD. Did he do everything right? No, but most of the time he did.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 27, 2014, 01:10:14 pm

You got that right.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 27, 2014, 08:48:30 pm
You got that right.

FCJ has it right. Its time for CMA to fire an assistant. The goal this year was make the NCAAT. That was not achieved. An assistant must go. Next year if they are not a  no 4 or no5 seed in the NCAAT the pressure is still on but an assistant needs to be removed for this years failure season

Porked Tongue