Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all those who don't want Anderson who do you want? I'm for Anderson

Started by FelixJonesorDMAC?, March 25, 2014, 05:52:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

i say no.

i remember when we were 2-6, it was because the schedule was tough.

so, was the 8-3 to end the conference season (including the tournament) better play or easier schedule
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 03:37:29 pm
so, was the 8-3 to end the conference season (including the tournament) better play or easier schedule

That's easy.

Better play.

DEVICEHIGH

Its my opinion that we settle in and give Mike Anderson the time he needs to build a program.We are in a bad place that will only get worse if we fire a couch every 3 years.

Im behind Mike 100%
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 25, 2014, 10:21:58 pm
You asked for replacements to be named, then when they are you poopoo'd them. So much for honest discussion, with no jabs.

Because they didn't give why, but just a "he brings a better product" an umbrella statement, which is ridiculous.  I'm referring to coach marshall as being our coach.  Right now and definitely in the last 10 years, it would be a lateral move and maybe even a step down to leave WSU for arkansas, so why would he come and what about his play or coaching do you like?  I don't want to hear just names, thats ridiculous. 

I believe Anderson brings a style to Arkansas that is now representative of Arkansas and thats 40 minutes of hell, which I believe next year we will see that name come to fruition.  People relate Hog Ball especially now and the young recruits to 40 minutes of Hell or the Pel Heath era which is terrible.  I would rather bring back 40 minutes of Hell so we can reference to our success of the 90's.  It is slowly coming back.  We let Anderson go in the next two years and we are just starting over unless we land a Bill Self or bigger.  Other than that it is a crap shoot with up and comers ala Heath and now Anthony Grant.  For every Pearl there is 3 Stan Heaths. 

WilsonHog

This isn't 1994. It isn't even 2000.

As far as recruits today are concerned, if we're going to talk about Corliss and Mayday, we might as well talk about Dean Tolson and Rickey Medlock. One does us about as much good as the other.

Our basketball program is average at best. The records amassed in the last 15 years is evidence of it. We just had the kind of season that had us grumbling about Eddie Sutton and wishing that Nolan would leave.

And it's the best we've done in SIX years.

Let that sink in.

You know what the difference is between us and Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina...basically every team but Kentucky and Florida?

Nothing over the past 15 seasons.

To give it context, this would have been like us trumpeting our 1964 football national title....in 1980.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HAWGTUSK

Arky

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 06:42:09 pm

As far as recruits today are concerned, if we're going to talk about Corliss and Mayday, we might as well talk about Dean Tolson and Rickey Medlock. One does us about as much good as the other.

Our basketball program is average at best. The records amassed in the last 15 years is evidence of it. We just had the kind of season that had us grumbling about Eddie Sutton and wishing that Nolan would leave.

Let that sink in.

You know what the difference is between us and Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina...basically every team but Kentucky and Florida?

To give it context, this would have been like us trumpeting our 1964 football national title....in 1980.
The hard truth.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 06:42:09 pm

Let that sink in.

40 minutes of Hell is not irrelevant at all, because Mike Anderson has stayed around to keep it intact.  Recruits know his style of play.  Now if he had never taken a head coaching position, yes it may be gone, but we have a link to that great past and thats what can keep it alive. 

Yes 1994 is 20 years ago, but CMA is still around and coaching so it is here and now.  This is Arkansas Basketball.  It will be great again with CMA at the helm and when he gets that PG in here and Portis and Kingsley develop physically and mentally in the offseason and have a long offseason to think about those Alabama and Cal Ass whooping they took, they will remember and come back strong and 40 minutes of Hell will be reborn. 

What keeps Major Basketball programs relevant is tradition.  Our tradition is 40 minutes of Hell, its not going away as long as Anderson is here, it just was on hiatus while our administration went to sleep.

WilsonHog

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 07:30:16 pm
40 minutes of Hell is not irrelevant at all, because Mike Anderson has stayed around to keep it intact.  Recruits know his style of play.  Now if he had never taken a head coaching position, yes it may be gone, but we have a link to that great past and thats what can keep it alive. 

Yes 1994 is 20 years ago, but CMA is still around and coaching so it is here and now.  This is Arkansas Basketball.  It will be great again with CMA at the helm and when he gets that PG in here and Portis and Kingsley develop physically and mentally in the offseason and have a long offseason to think about those Alabama and Cal Ass whooping they took, they will remember and come back strong and 40 minutes of Hell will be reborn. 

What keeps Major Basketball programs relevant is tradition.  Our tradition is 40 minutes of Hell, its not going away as long as Anderson is here, it just was on hiatus while our administration went to sleep.

What keeps major basketball programs relevant is great players.

The Triplets, to Scott Hastings, Darrell Walker, and Alvin Robertson, to MayDay and Big O, to Corliss and Scotty....that's what tradition is built on.

Sivad

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 07:30:16 pm
40 minutes of Hell is not irrelevant at all, because Mike Anderson has stayed around to keep it intact.

What keeps Major Basketball programs relevant is tradition.  Our tradition is 40 minutes of Hell, its not going away as long as Anderson is here.
Winning and regular NCAAT wins is what keeps a program relevant, not a stubborn and outdated style of play that only results in one NIT win in 3 years.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 07:41:49 pm
What keeps major basketball programs relevant is great players.

The Triplets, to Scott Hastings, Darrell Walker, and Alvin Robertson, to MayDay and Big O, to Corliss and Scotty....that's what tradition is built on.

thats a given, but the coach has to bring in those players.  Hence Indiana without Bob Knight and UNC post Dean Smith until Roy came along.  Tradition is a lot of things, not just the players.  Duke without K was not very good.  I'm not saying Anderson is the next HOF coach, but he is as close as we will get to one that can bring us back to the good ol days.

Wild Bill Hog

HS players could care less about who you were.  They care about who you are.  When you're 18 years old, what happened 2 years before you were born is completely irrelevant.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Sivad on March 26, 2014, 07:47:21 pm
Winning and regular NCAAT wins is what keeps a program relevant, not a stubborn And outdated style of play that only results in one NIT win in 3 years.

This modern day thinking with instant gratification is ridiculous.  3 years and an NIT from where we were is right on track.  Next year is NCAA tourney and we could make a descent run.  The year after if Portis and Kingsley stay around, we could go very deep.  Mark my words, if Anderson makes it to the tourney he will do damage come next year and ESPN will be pumping up the old Richardson days and we will become a national name again. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 26, 2014, 07:49:26 pm
HS players could care less about who you were.  They care about who you are.  When you're 18 years old, what happened 2 years before you were born is completely irrelevant.

In this way of thinking we might as well mail it in, because Arkansas will never have a chance at being relevant, because we haven't been for a long time, so no kid will ever want to come here.  Basically you just said there is not a chance in hell for Arkansas to ever be good.

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 06:00:15 pm
Because they didn't give why, but just a "he brings a better product" an umbrella statement, which is ridiculous.  I'm referring to coach marshall as being our coach.  Right now and definitely in the last 10 years, it would be a lateral move and maybe even a step down to leave WSU for arkansas, so why would he come and what about his play or coaching do you like?  I don't want to hear just names, thats ridiculous. 

I believe Anderson brings a style to Arkansas that is now representative of Arkansas and thats 40 minutes of hell, which I believe next year we will see that name come to fruition.  People relate Hog Ball especially now and the young recruits to 40 minutes of Hell or the Pel Heath era which is terrible.  I would rather bring back 40 minutes of Hell so we can reference to our success of the 90's.  It is slowly coming back.  We let Anderson go in the next two years and we are just starting over unless we land a Bill Self or bigger.  Other than that it is a crap shoot with up and comers ala Heath and now Anthony Grant.  For every Pearl there is 3 Stan Heaths. 

That's ridiculous. You tell them to name coaches,they do, but you decide their reasons weren't to your liking. What would anybody like about Marshall's style? I don't know, maybe they like him because he wins. Maybe they think he is the best we can get. Maybe Marshall would like a change of pace, and why not come to a traditional power, for more money? Maybe he wants to coach the top program in a state instead of being 2nd/3rd fiddle to Kansas and K-State.
At this point, I don't see much difference in Anderson and the previous two coaches (Heath/Pel). Anderson's situation here is much more favorable than what either of his 2 predecessors inheritted, yet we've only seen moderate improvement.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 07:52:51 pm
That's ridiculous. You tell them to name coaches,they do, but you decide their reasons weren't to your liking. What would anybody like about Marshall's style? I don't know, maybe they like him because he wins. Maybe they think he is the best we can get. Maybe Marshall would like a change of pace, and why not come to a traditional power, for more money? Maybe he wants to coach the top program in a state instead of being 2nd/3rd fiddle to Kansas and K-State.
At this point, I don't see much difference in Anderson and the previous two coaches (Heath/Pel). Anderson's situation here is much more favorable than what either of his 2 predecessors inheritted, yet we've only seen moderate improvement.

What reasons?  A better product?  WTH is a better product?  They got bounced in the second round as a #1 seed by Kentucky who WE beat twice.  No reason was given besides just a better product.  Well I like Peter Pan better than JIF because its a better product.  There is that good enough for you because thats what was said.

I'm not saying Marshall is a bad coach, he's a heckava coach, he made WSU a title contender.  He ain't coming to Arkansas, right now it would be a lateral move or step down from where he is at.  He will go big when he gets the chance for the likes of a Kansas Indiana Duke type program, he is not coming to arkansas.  Thats not my liking, thats reality.  It would have been great to get him, but we didn't, we got CMA and he will make us relevant again.

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 07:47:30 pm
thats a given, but the coach has to bring in those players.  Hence Indiana without Bob Knight and UNC post Dean Smith until Roy came along.  Tradition is a lot of things, not just the players.  Duke without K was not very good.  I'm not saying Anderson is the next HOF coach, but he is as close as we will get to one that can bring us back to the good ol days.

Really? We've had 2 HOF caliber coaches, and 1 immediately followed the other, and now we're doomed to never have another; unless it's Anderson, of course.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 07:57:07 pm
Really? We've had 2 HOF caliber coaches, and 1 immediately followed the other, and now we're doomed to never have another; unless it's Anderson, of course.

Your just being argumentative for argumentative sake.  I added on the coach to the players.  Arkansas fell off the map for a while, but unless we can get someone in here that is going to be better than Anderson with a better resume I'm not willing to go for an up and comer again.  We tried that with the last two coaches and failed miserably.  Anderson didn't come in with a better predicament than Heath or Pel, they had resent history on their side, our nearest history is irrelevance.  Anderson has to overcome the last ten years of being a non existent program. 

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 07:55:36 pm
What reasons?  A better product?  WTH is a better product?  They got bounced in the second round as a #1 seed by Kentucky who WE beat twice.  No reason was given besides just a better product.  Well I like Peter Pan better than JIF because its a better product.  There is that good enough for you because thats what was said.

They also went 35?-1. Oh and they managed to beat Bama (at Bama), BYU, STL (at STL), Tenn, and Indiana State (twice). Last I checked we lost to Tenn and Bama (at Bama).
I like winning games better than losing, because winning is a better product than losing.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:03:43 pm
They also went 35?-1. Oh and they managed to beat Bama (at Bama), BYU, STL (at STL), Tenn, and Indiana State (twice). Last I checked we lost to Tenn and Bama (at Bama).
I like winning games better than losing, because winning is a better product than losing.

As I hope every hog fan does.  So who do you suggest?  Gregg Marshall is not coming here.  So next coach please and why?

I get that Marshall is a stud coach, I completely understand that.  Are you saying we should fire Anderson and throw 4 mill a year to Marshall and if he doesn't come then what?

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 08:03:37 pm
Your just being argumentative for argumentative sake.  I added on the coach to the players.  Arkansas fell off the map for a while, but unless we can get someone in here that is going to be better than Anderson with a better resume I'm not willing to go for an up and comer again.  We tried that with the last two coaches and failed miserably.  Anderson didn't come in with a better predicament than Heath or Pel, they had resent history on their side, our nearest history is irrelevance.  Anderson has to overcome the last ten years of being a non existent program. 

You're right Heath walked into a fabulous situation. The recent history he had on his side was the previous coach was suing the university for racial discrimination. I got to tell ya, that had to have made recruiting an absolute breeze for Heath.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:07:43 pm
You're right Heath walked into a fabulous situation. The recent history he had on his side was the previous coach was suing the university for racial discrimination. I got to tell ya, that had to have made recruiting an absolute breeze for Heath.

So be it.  The history is done and gone.  What are you saying we should do?  Fire Anderson?  Put all our chips in one basket and go big for Marshall?  and if he doesn't come then what?  That question is for all those that don't want Anderson?  WTH do you want us to do? 

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 08:06:19 pm
As I hope every hog fan does.  So who do you suggest?  Gregg Marshall is not coming here.  So next coach please and why?

I get that Marshall is a stud coach, I completely understand that.  Are you saying we should fire Anderson and throw 4 mill a year to Marshall and if he doesn't come then what?

No, I don't believe I've suggested that anywhere. In fact, I don't think I've ever insuated that we should dismiss Anderson. But, your beleif that if we did dismiss him, we would never recover, is ridiculous. We don't know who would replace him, and we won't know what that person is capable of doing for Arkansas basketball until they are here, but just because it is an unknown doesn't mean it should never be attempted.

hogfan10

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 26, 2014, 08:10:22 pm
So be it.  The history is done and gone.  What are you saying we should do?  Fire Anderson?  Put all our chips in one basket and go big for Marshall?  and if he doesn't come then what?  That question is for all those that don't want Anderson?  WTH do you want us to do? 

I want us to win, and do it at a high rate. It's not my job (nor yours) to determine how we can do that. I want the person/s with that job (Long/Anderson) to figure it out, and fast.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:11:25 pm
No, I don't believe I've suggested that anywhere. In fact, I don't think I've ever insuated that we should dismiss Anderson. But, your beleif that if we did dismiss him, we would never recover, is ridiculous. We don't know who would replace him, and we won't know what that person is capable of doing for Arkansas basketball until they are here, but just because it is an unknown doesn't mean it should never be attempted.

I've seen us get Heath, I've seen us hire Altman and him walk after calling the hogs, I've seen us hire Pel.  I've seen how hard it is to bring in a coach here at Arkansas with any resume whatsoever.   I'm not willing to gamble.  I'm saying give Anderson his contract, don't extend it until we see what happens with his 4th year.  It's that simple.  The only answer is to keep Anderson, thats it.  Otherwise we take 10 steps back.  If he fails miserably after year 4, well than things change quite a bit in I believe most razorback fans eyes, because 4 years is enough time to make the tournament.

LA Football fan

Stay with Anderson for a at least two more years.  We improved and our weaknesses just killed us at the end of the season.  Our best players are the youngest players and experience should only make them better.  I like fast paced basketball but would like for our players to understand what is a good shot and what is a bad or forced shot with almost no chance of going in. 

We have to quit fouling 35 feet from the basket.  It doesn't intimidate our opponents,  puts them in the bonus usually 5-10 minutes before us, and lets them drive right  by our defenders and get easy passes or layups.  Play good defense but play it smart.  Stay no further out than the 3 point line and trap in the corners when you have the numbers and have the court cut off to prevent drives and easy layups.

Play inside out instead of throwing up the first open 3 point shot in the possession.  Give Portis a chance to touch the ball on each possession whether he shoots it or not. 

Anyway, not calling for Mike to be fired.  The program is better now than when he took over.  We do have a chance to make the tourney next year and who knows what happens if we can land Monk with a couple other difference makers the next couple years.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 26, 2014, 08:15:21 pm
Y'all are getting a tad hysterical.

Why because we are having a descent argument back and forth, with our opinions on a hogville message board?   I think it's fun.  What I don't get is that your saying we are getting hysterical which does nothing for the sake of this argument.  What was your point of saying that and your an administrator.  No jabs were thrown, no name calling, we are arguing our points like most rational people do.  I conceded that Marshall is a great coach, he conceded that Anderson should not go anywhere.  Sounds like a good argument unlike most on hogville that end up with Moron or Idiot somewhere.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: LA Football fan on March 26, 2014, 08:16:30 pm
Stay with Anderson for a at least two more years.  We improved and our weaknesses just killed us at the end of the season.  Our best players are the youngest players and experience should only make them better.  I like fast paced basketball but would like for our players to understand what is a good shot and what is a bad or forced shot with almost no chance of going in. 

We have to quit fouling 35 feet from the basket.  It doesn't intimidate our opponents,  puts them in the bonus usually 5-10 minutes before us, and lets them drive right  by our defenders and get easy passes or layups.  Play good defense but play it smart.  Stay no further out than the 3 point line and trap in the corners when you have the numbers and have the court cut off to prevent drives and easy layups.

Play inside out instead of throwing up the first open 3 point shot in the possession.  Give Portis a chance to touch the ball on each possession whether he shoots it or not. 

Anyway, not calling for Mike to be fired.  The program is better now than when he took over.  We do have a chance to make the tourney next year and who knows what happens if we can land Monk with a couple other difference makers the next couple years.

Thank You and +1

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:14:40 pm
I want us to win, and do it at a high rate. It's not my job (nor yours) to determine how we can do that. I want the person/s with that job (Long/Anderson) to figure it out, and fast.

Seriously I appreciate the back and forth.  In the end we all just want the Hogs to win.

In the end we do have a say with our support of the program monetarily. 

HAM ELLIOT

The best, most sure fire way to make sure we keep our program in the crapper would be to fire our coach.  Look at the teams winning...   Most have had their coach for a while.  This debate is dumb.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:03:43 pm

Greg Marshall is a great coach but first 3 years:
11-20
17-17
25-10 - NIT bid - losing in the 1st rd.

Year 5 NCAA tourney - your calling for Mike's head in year 3. He deserves time to see what he can do. 3 years of steady improvement with a solid core and we want to dump him? That is idiocy.If anyone thinks that you are going to hire a coach inheriting a team that went

14-16
14-18
18-13

the previous 3 years and turn it into a title contender in 2-3 years has no concept of reality.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 08:07:43 pm

Heath recruited very well.

Brewer - 4 star
Famutimi - 5 star
Jefferson - 5 star
Townes - 4 star
Hill - 4 star
Thomas - 4 star
McGowan - 4 star
Beverly - 4 star
Washington - 4 star
Weems - 4 star
Ervin - 5 star transfer

hogfan10

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 26, 2014, 09:51:59 pm
Greg Marshall is a great coach but first 3 years:
11-20
17-17
25-10 - NIT bid - losing in the 1st rd.

Year 5 NCAA tourney - your calling for Mike's head in year 3. He deserves time to see what he can do. 3 years of steady improvement with a solid core and we want to dump him? That is idiocy.If anyone thinks that you are going to hire a coach inheriting a team that went

14-16
14-18
18-13

the previous 3 years and turn it into a title contender in 2-3 years has no concept of reality.

Marshall coaches at a mid-major, and has built it into what looks to be a yearly contender, as far as mid-majors go.
Please show where I've called for Anderson's head.

hogfan10

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on March 26, 2014, 09:45:13 pm
The best, most sure fire way to make sure we keep our program in the crapper would be to fire our coach.  Look at the teams winning...   Most have had their coach for a while.  This debate is dumb.

Well there you go, we never should have fired Heath; and then we doubled down and fired Pelphry. Obviously they should have been given more time, right?

hogfan10

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 26, 2014, 10:18:43 pm
Heath recruited very well.

Brewer - 4 star
Famutimi - 5 star
Jefferson - 5 star
Townes - 4 star
Hill - 4 star
Thomas - 4 star
McGowan - 4 star
Beverly - 4 star
Washington - 4 star
Weems - 4 star
Ervin - 5 star transfer

Is it your opinion that he inheritted a good situation? Many of those 4-5 stars were looking for a place to land for whatever reason (sketchy grades, personal/attitude problems). But, I do agree, given the circumstances, Heath probably overachieved on the recruiting trail. If you recall he was let go after making the NCAA's, and most likely would have returned the next year (Pelphry took his team dancing that year). I wonder what he could have done with back to back NCAA appearances to build upon.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 10:33:44 pm
Is it your opinion that he inheritted a good situation? Many of those 4-5 stars were looking for a place to land for whatever reason (sketchy grades, personal/attitude problems). But, I do agree, given the circumstances, Heath probably overachieved on the recruiting trail. If you recall he was let go after making the NCAA's, and most likely would have returned the next year (Pelphry took his team dancing that year). I wonder what he could have done with back to back NCAA appearances to build upon.

Heath probably shouldn't have been fired, but it is what it is at this point.

I believe we thought we had Billy Clyde.

alaback

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:17:20 am
i didn't say sweet 16 this year, in the big dance yes. i would think by year five that the sweet 16 would be reasonable for a program like arkansas.

I used to think along those lines feeling we could just plug in the next up and comer and the program would be fine because of the history and tradition, national championship, 6 final fours, etc.  That was until a couple of years of irrelevance became three years, then five years, and then a decade to where we are now.

I am in my early 40s.  From the time I was a child until my early 30s, being a part of March Madness was a given and just a way of life.  What happened in 2002 was a colossal mistake.  Under almost no circumstances do you dismiss a legend the way we did it.  What ensued was assuming that any coach was just going to get Arkansas rolling again.  The end result was that the program lost all continuity to where we are perceived now as nationally irrelevant.

Anderson is the right guy because he understands the history, the culture and what it takes to succeed at Arkansas.  More than all those things though, he is a proven commodity, never had a losing season, success at two different programs, along with deep runs in the NCAA tournament.  Whether some people want to accept it or not, significant damage was done during the Heath and Pelphrey eras that just isn't just fixed overnight.  To ignore what Anderson has done in his 1st three years is simply refusing to accept what is obvious to most. 

Don't think for a moment that people like myself have lowered our standards for what this program is capable of.  We simply recognize that restoring this program is a monumental task and we're seeing it happen before our eyes, just not as fast as some of you instant gratification people would like it to happen.  This program will experience greatness and will be under Coach Mike Anderson.

HouseOfHam

Quote from: Sivad on March 26, 2014, 07:47:21 pm
Winning and regular NCAAT wins is what keeps a program relevant, not a stubborn and outdated style of play that only results in one NIT win in 3 years.
This "stubborn and outdated" style of play won Louisville a National Championship last year, took VCU to the final four and Anderson made the elite eight just a few years before that. Spew your agenda somewhere else.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HouseOfHam on March 26, 2014, 11:51:20 pm
This "stubborn and outdated" style of play won Louisville a National Championship last year, took VCU to the final four and Anderson made the elite eight just a few years before that. Spew your agenda somewhere else.
Louisville does not leave wide open jump shooters, give up countless uncontested layups and get outrebounded on a continual basis.  VCU had a run, yes, but has not done it consistently.  And I would argue that their defense is better than ours also. 

I like uptempo basketball as I think most do.  But you can play uptempo by controlling the boards, getting good shooters and defending the 3.  I love watching teams where all 5 players can hit the outside shot, play solid man or zone and foul less than their opponent.  I call it "clean' or "pretty" basketball.  I realize that great shooting pretty much cures all ills and some nights you just don't have it but we "don't have it" way too many times.  And when you are not shooting well you need to find other ways to compete like pound it inside, offensive rebounding, stifling man defense without doubling and leaving shooters open. 

Anderson deserves another year or two as all coaches should get at least 4 years if not 5.  If we don't make the NCAA again next year then there should be some major pressure on him. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 26, 2014, 10:26:57 pm
Well there you go, we never should have fired Heath; and then we doubled down and fired Pelphry. Obviously they should have been given more time, right?
Heath was fired too soon.

Pel was doing a terrible job and got 1 more year than he deserved.

If you or anyone else can't see the difference between what MA is doing compared to what Pel was doing, then we simply cannot talk basketball. I require those I discuss basketball with to have at least a smidgen of knowledge.

Anderson has us on track. As long as we only lose seniors (and those who didn't contribute) we will be an Ncaa tournament team next year. I'm willing to make a "loser leaves Hogville" bet with anyone on that. The haters who don't believe MA will get it done, step up! If you don't, I'll know you're just hating....which is fine I guess.

acey33

Quote from: bcdeputy on March 25, 2014, 07:58:52 pm
How about a top assistant coach from a winning program. Bet they'd come to Arkansas.

How about a coach that understands that you need to rebound and not have a point guard that shoots terrible three point shots almost every single time he touches the ball...

and passes up on a open shot to drive the lane against the bigs and throw up some kind of prayer...What ever happened to making a 10-12 ft jump shot?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Smithian

1. Just because someone is frustrated with Anderson doesn't mean they want him fired. I am disappointed the Hogs didn't make the NCAA tournament this season and I will be frustrated if they miss again next season but barring a Pelphrey year 2 level collapse next season I am on board with Anderson getting minimum five seasons.

2. Don't confuse yourself that there is only one coach for any school. There are a lot of good coaches out there and when Auburn and Virginia Tech are hiring Bruce Pearl and Buzz Williams that means high level coaching movement isn't done. No such thing as only one coach being the one for a program.

tophawg19

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 27, 2014, 02:17:21 am
Heath was fired too soon.

Pel was doing a terrible job and got 1 more year than he deserved.

If you or anyone else can't see the difference between what MA is doing compared to what Pel was doing, then we simply cannot talk basketball. I require those I discuss basketball with to have at least a smidgen of knowledge.

Anderson has us on track. As long as we only lose seniors (and those who didn't contribute) we will be an Ncaa tournament team next year. I'm willing to make a "loser leaves Hogville" bet with anyone on that. The haters who don't believe MA will get it done, step up! If you don't, I'll know you're just hating....which is fine I guess.
Even you have to admit we still have too many unknowns . Will the new PG'S be able to handle it in year one ? Who is going to be the consistant outside shooters ? Will our big's fill out and develop into a force inside instead of getting pushed around ? We are 1 or 2 injuries away from being in trouble . Will we finally find an on-court leader ? Will we ever find an offensive identity ? Will the REF's ever let us play without calling touch fouls ? This one I doubt because most don't like to run and hate fast paced play . Does Moses get stronger and become an inside force that we need ? Hopefully TREY T becomes a Dwight Stewert  type player for us . Lots of questions still to be answered . ALL pieces we need to make a run to the NCAA tourney
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Kevin

Quote from: alaback on March 26, 2014, 10:58:41 pm
I used to think along those lines feeling we could just plug in the next up and comer and the program would be fine because of the history and tradition, national championship, 6 final fours, etc.  That was until a couple of years of irrelevance became three years, then five years, and then a decade to where we are now.

I am in my early 40s.  From the time I was a child until my early 30s, being a part of March Madness was a given and just a way of life.  What happened in 2002 was a colossal mistake.  Under almost no circumstances do you dismiss a legend the way we did it.  What ensued was assuming that any coach was just going to get Arkansas rolling again.  The end result was that the program lost all continuity to where we are perceived now as nationally irrelevant.

Anderson is the right guy because he understands the history, the culture and what it takes to succeed at Arkansas.  More than all those things though, he is a proven commodity, never had a losing season, success at two different programs, along with deep runs in the NCAA tournament.  Whether some people want to accept it or not, significant damage was done during the Heath and Pelphrey eras that just isn't just fixed overnight.  To ignore what Anderson has done in his 1st three years is simply refusing to accept what is obvious to most. 

Don't think for a moment that people like myself have lowered our standards for what this program is capable of.  We simply recognize that restoring this program is a monumental task and we're seeing it happen before our eyes, just not as fast as some of you instant gratification people would like it to happen.  This program will experience greatness and will be under Coach Mike Anderson.

3 years in college basketball is not instant.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

GO

Quote from: chortle on March 25, 2014, 07:26:01 pm
Like him or hate him, this season is going to be typical of what we can expect from MA coached teams.

Nothing horrible, nothing stellar.

As bad as I hate to admit it, his style of play has come and gone for two reasons. 1.) the game has/is changed because of the referees. His style is predicated on a tenacious defense that relies on constant pressure and as we saw in many games this year, the zebras often anticipate touch fouls, resulting in astronomical foul tallies and resulting trips to the free throw line. It ultimately slows down the game and severely disrupts the flow of the game.

2.) basketball at all levels has deteriorated. We are left with athletes trying to play the game of basketball instead of having athletic basketball players. Because of one and done NBA rules, the NCAA has become watered down and so has the NBA. Kids today are worried about two things: dunks or 3's. There is no more basketball IQ, watching someone move without the ball, running a complex offense, etc.

By the nature of the change in the game, my fear is that MA will be the Houston Nutt of basketball: win just enough to keep the fans hanging on to hope, and more often than not snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

My feelings exactly Chortle....  I see lots of you saying Mike will get it done. We will be in the dance next year. OK, Great. That's a step in the right direction, but having followed ABB for many years (yes I was in college watching the triplets played) just getting to the tournament is not getting it done IMHO. When ABB starts making deep runs into the tournament reaching sweet 16's with occasional final 4 or elite 8's appearances then I will say we are back. One or two years of one and done is not getting it done to me.

I hope Mike does succeed as that will mean we are doing well and it is a fun style to watch when it works. I also believe Mike was an upgrade over what we had for sure. I just have serious doubts this style will win consistently in this day and age. I hope he proves me wrong.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Kevin on March 27, 2014, 08:29:24 am
so what happened the last 3 out of 4 games then

Same thing that happened to Duke their last 2 out of 3. They lost them.

Using 4 games to summarize our season is weak, let it go.