Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense

Started by Rbill, March 25, 2014, 01:46:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

So this is not a post about whether or not we should press, this is strictly about half court defense. Everyone knows that pressing is a risk/reward, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Sometimes we get turnovers and sometimes they get really easy buckets.

But my question is about strictly half court defense. I'm not talking about fast breaks. We get our half court defense completely setup, their point guard is just chilling out top with the ball. Is it just me, or can we be pretty easy to score against even then? Does it only seem this way when compared to our inability to score in the half-court? Why are our lanes always wide open? Why can their point guards do whatever they want? Why do we foul so much?

Seriously why? Other team's points look so simple and basic, while a bulk of our points tend to come wild if we're on and not at all if we're off.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 01:46:33 pm
So this is not a post about whether or not we should press, this is strictly about half court defense. Everyone knows that pressing is a risk/reward, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Sometimes we get turnovers and sometimes they get really easy buckets.

But my question is about strictly half court defense. I'm not talking about fast breaks. We get our half court defense completely setup, their point guard is just chilling out top with the ball. Is it just me, or can we be pretty easy to score against even then? Does it only seem this way when compared to our inability to score in the half-court? Why are our lanes always wide open? Why can their point guards do whatever they want? Why do we foul so much?

Seriously why? Other team's points look so simple and basic, while a bulk of our points tend to come wild if we're on and not at all if we're off.

Help defense was late resulting in easy looks or fouls.  On the ball defense wasn't good unless it was Wade playing it.  Defense was too easy to break down. 

Mike reverted back to his early SEC mistake last night:  Bell 25 minutes Wade 5. 

Beard will be the best on the ball defender on the team next season.  But watch for SEC teams to get physical mismatches with him in the halfcourt.  If Ali Thompson Qualls decides he wants to play with intensity on the defensive end, he could become a good on the ball defender.  He isn't bad off the ball now in terms of getting steals.

Kingsley needs to stay healthy and develop as his presence in the post could affect how good the rest of the defense looks.  A shotblocker can make up for a lot of mistakes and can allow more aggressiveness.  Will he develop with this staff and will he get the minutes? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

March 25, 2014, 02:08:12 pm #2 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:25:09 pm by poloprince
Unfortunately shot making affects our defense, it's all about the amount of effort you put in when the shots are not falling.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Rbill

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:56:16 pm
Help defense was late resulting in easy looks or fouls.

I think this is the reoccurring theme I was thinking of. Why has that been such an issue for us? Are we having breakdowns? Is this simply a matter of recognizing faster and executing? It's the old nature or nurture debate again. In this particular issue I tend to lean towards coaching. Drill it in until they react the right way in games or change up the D appropriately.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:56:16 pm
Mike reverted back to his early SEC mistake last night:  Bell 25 minutes Wade 5. 

Agreed. What the heck? Especially with no production to back up those minutes.

Rbill

Quote from: poloprince on March 25, 2014, 02:08:12 pm
Unfortunately shot making affects our defense, it's all about the amount of effort you put in when you the shots are not falling.

I completely agree. We can play really intense, focused D when we're feeling mojo.

jm

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 01:46:33 pm

We can't stop the dribble drive at all. If the opposition can drive ala Missouri we are beat. Poor on ball defense plus poor rotation has been our undoing in several games.