Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Facility

Started by Hogfan1660, March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 11:40:19 am
now, you have hit the nail on the head. not about the players, but how can the university make more money.

i want them to have a facility so they cannot use it as an excuse, for mediocre recruiting.

but, it will be something different, once it is built

I doubt the university will make $25mil very soon on the renting out of BWA, so, you can eliminate that idea.

yraciv

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 11:40:19 am
now, you have hit the nail on the head. not about the players, but how can the university make more money.

i want them to have a facility so they cannot use it as an excuse, for mediocre recruiting.

but, it will be something different, once it is built

Of course it's about the players and money. I've clearly pointed out how it's beneficial for the players to get in more practice. The fact I could get in scrimmages and shoot with the Hogs over at the Hyper when I was in school was cool but ridiculous.  Freeing up Bud Walton for other events is a side benefit because you are always looking to make money, but they certainly aren't going to make up 25M anytime soon.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 11:28:03 am
what events are in bwa at 6am or 11pm.  sounds like to me, they could get in there, just not when they want to.

what events are in bwa, from now till hs graduations?
During the season the women's team has to practice as well as the mens team most days. Also on days that the Men have games the women can't practice until after the game which is usually at the earliest 8 or 9.

The number one reason for this facility is for both the mens and the women's teams to be able to practice and workout at the same time. It will allow the women to be able to graduate in 4 years or less and not have to go an extra 1 or 2 semesters.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

tophawg19

wouldn't it have been far cheaper to just build a small practice gym if just getting in practice time is the goal. This seems excessive with all the extra rooms . what happens to all the extra space in BWA now ? it looks great in pics but seems like over kill to have rooms for the same thing in both buildings . I guess we have plenty of free money though so it can't hurt. If it helps with play and recruiting , Great but that is yet to be proven since we recruit on the same level as most of the SEC and they have them. If it does really help then it was worth the cost . if not then we still have a great looking building to make campus look better .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2014, 12:25:46 pm
wouldn't it have been far cheaper to just build a small practice gym if just getting in practice time is the goal. This seems excessive with all the extra rooms . what happens to all the extra space in BWA now ? it looks great in pics but seems like over kill to have rooms for the same thing in both buildings . I guess we have plenty of free money though so it can't hurt. If it helps with play and recruiting , Great but that is yet to be proven since we recruit on the same level as most of the SEC and they have them. If it does really help then it was worth the cost . if not then we still have a great looking building to make campus look better .
Gives the players a bigger weight room, lounge areas and helps with recruiting.

Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2014, 12:25:46 pm

I've been in every building on campus and guess what, all of them have at least two rooms the same in them..............restrooms. I guess you think they should close them in all of the buildings but one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

I guess i'm puzzled at why the need for bigger weight rooms/ lounge areas with only 15 players and what happens to the ones in BWA with the new building coming . I get the dedication to basketball theory but a bunch of teams with them still recruit worse than we do. Time will tell I guess . it should make for a more attractive campus anyway .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogfaniam

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 29, 2014, 09:32:26 pm
I guess i'm puzzled at why the need for bigger weight rooms/ lounge areas with only 15 players and what happens to the ones in BWA with the new building coming . I get the dedication to basketball theory but a bunch of teams with them still recruit worse than we do. Time will tell I guess . it should make for a more attractive campus anyway .

The redundant rooms will be repurposed.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Wild Bill Hog

How can we tell when the facility has "paid for itself"?  Not being contrary - just curious what the measuring stick is/will be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 29, 2014, 09:43:39 pm
The redundant rooms will be repurposed.

Locker rooms to be used for games.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

fineswine

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 29, 2014, 10:49:05 pm
How can we tell when the facility has "paid for itself"?  Not being contrary - just curious what the measuring stick is/will be.
A second consecutive trip to the NIT seems to be the new definition of "raising the bar".

Kevin

like i said, build it, eliminate the excuses we have been hearing about lack of recruiting.

i am sure once it is built, another excuse will come along.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Porked Tongue

What is your purpose here? 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 07:47:53 am
What is your purpose here? 

Care to be a bit more specific?    ???

Porked Tongue

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 30, 2014, 08:06:46 am
Seems clear enough.

Who are you asking your question to?  Help an old senile guy out.

Porked Tongue

The post immediately prior.

Wild Bill Hog

PonderinHog

Kevin

no, it was at me.

i am tired of the facility being used as an excuse.

some have brought up some points that i have never heard, especially class schedules, and delaying graduation for players

i hope it impacts recruiting like you guys think it will, or we will be hit with another excuse.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Wild Bill Hog

Piggfoot

I don't buy any if the arguments given for needing a practice facility other than wanting one. It will not improve our playing philosophy. It is an excuse for mediocre recruiting. We have the third best arena ranked below Kentucky and Florida. If the Arena can not attract a recruit then practice facility sure wont. I would also bet if a PF is built players will still practice at times on other area courts.
If the reason is about the U making money then what is to stop them from renting out the PF?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

PonderinHog

Quote from: qdoc on March 30, 2014, 09:46:10 am

If the reason is about the U making money then what is to stop them from renting out the PF?
Lack of seating?

ricepig

Wild Bill Hog

Need a few Jimmy Buffett concerts to fill up BWA.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 30, 2014, 08:44:26 am
Good.  I'm a strong supporter of safe posting.

Do you buy at Walgreens, CVS or the local convenience store?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2014, 11:49:14 am
Do you buy at Walgreens, CVS or the local convenience store?

None of the above.  I'm really old.  Back in the day  .  .  .   What were we talking about?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm
We always shoot the ball well at BWA and can't hit the backboard on the road. It's always easier to hit your shots when you play your games on the same court that you practice on. My question is does the new practice facility make as better at home or do we start struggling to hit shots there also since we won't be practicing in BWA? Just curious to everyone's thoughts?
Seems that is more about environment than about rims.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2014, 08:41:41 am
some have brought up some points that i have never heard, especially class schedules, and delaying graduation for players
Jeff Long has mentioned those two things several times as have many writers. Looks like you need to read more and post less

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm
We always shoot the ball well at BWA and can't hit the backboard on the road. It's always easier to hit your shots when you play your games on the same court that you practice on. My question is does the new practice facility make as better at home or do we start struggling to hit shots there also since we won't be practicing in BWA? Just curious to everyone's thoughts?

We will practice in BWA just prior to games.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 30, 2014, 11:54:22 am
Seems that is more about environment than about rims.
The area between the left ear and the right ear

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 30, 2014, 11:53:56 am
None of the above.  I'm really old.  Back in the day  .  .  .   What were we talking about?

Safe se...............I mean safe posting.

Kevin

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on March 30, 2014, 02:41:37 pm
Jeff Long has mentioned those two things several times as have many writers. Looks like you need to read more and post less

must have missed. i hope you feel better.

plus, long is a politician, don't believe much he has to say.

colbs

Quote from: lrcentral on March 28, 2014, 01:56:22 am
Folks this practice facility will not change anything. Shooting on a different rim will not help because the away rim will be different from the practice facility's rims.

Recruits do not want to come here because for as long as they have been alive Arkansas has been irrelevant in basketball. Sad but true.

The only change the practice facility will have on the program is higher ticket prices.

CMA needs to go pull in a few high level D1 players or he will be in the unemployment line in two years.

Practice facility helps recruiting which helps get better players.  You don't think other programs are using the practice facility against us?  There is no reason Arkansas should be the only team without a practice facility.

choppedporkextrasauce

I don't buy any if the arguments given for needing a practice facility other than wanting one. It will not improve our playing philosophy. It is an excuse for mediocre recruiting. We have the third best arena ranked below Kentucky and Florida. If the Arena can not attract a recruit then practice facility sure wont. I would also bet if a PF is built players will still practice at times on other area courts.

Florida's is tough but it's still a dump. It is not better than BWA

Piggfoot

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 31, 2014, 01:08:38 pm
Florida's is tough but it's still a dump. It is not better than BWA
I didn't do the ranking. Just someone who wrote an article on SEC Arenas opinion.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: qdoc on March 31, 2014, 03:31:06 pm
I didn't do the ranking. Just someone who wrote an article on SEC Arenas opinion.

Based on average game atmosphere recently that article was probably correct. Based on the physical arena itself then Choppedporkextrasauce is correct.

TOM "tbw1"

BWA was built to be fan friendly, not player friendly.  The dressing rooms are small and have in the past been spartan and shabby compared to other SEC venues.  The weight rooms are very small and were less equipped.  The meeting rooms are on the Holiday Inn Express class.

I think some of you need to see what other schools have done.  Then you would see what can be done by a fanbase that is serious about having basketball.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 31, 2014, 03:47:25 pm
BWA was built to be fan friendly, not player friendly.  The dressing rooms are small and have in the past been spartan and shabby compared to other SEC venues.  The weight rooms are very small and were less equipped.  The meeting rooms are on the Holiday Inn Express class.

I think some of you need to see what other schools have done.  Then you would see what can be done by a fanbase that is serious about having basketball.

True. However when built BWA was state of the art. Others have passed it by in some ways and primarily in practice facilities, locker rooms, etc. But in the ARENA area itself I still think BWA is better than OConnell.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 31, 2014, 04:03:43 pm
True. However when built BWA was state of the art. Others have passed it by in some ways and primarily in practice facilities, locker rooms, etc. But in the ARENA area itself I still think BWA is better than OConnell.

I agree.  BWA is better built for the fans than O'Connell. 

The_Iceman

The combination of BWA and the new practice facility will put us near the top of the country in basketball facilities. Then once you add in the future renovations to BWA, it'll get even better.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2014, 04:26:50 pm
The combination of BWA and the new practice facility will put us near the top of the country in basketball facilities. Then once you add in the future renovations to BWA, it'll get even better.

Very true, the question is can we get ahead of the curve? 

Kevin

man, duke better start building a better arena, because schools are going to start using that dump cameron indoor against them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on March 31, 2014, 04:31:33 pm
man, duke better start building a better arena, because schools are going to start using that dump cameron indoor against them.

They better hope they can find a good coach if only partly as good as coach K.

The real Hogules

What it "REALLY" boils down to is the SEC is an arms race where facilities are concerned and we are, I believe the only SEC school without one.

If you don't want to run with the big dogs then you need to get on the porch.

Translation - If we're going to be a member of a power conference and if we're serious about competing within that conference we need to be able to at the very least keep up with our conference brethren. Or find a new conference whose spending habits and facilities are more in line with what we're willing to provide our athletes.

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Pork Twain

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 31, 2014, 05:11:15 pm
What it "REALLY" boils down to is the SEC is an arms race where facilities are concerned and we are, I believe the only SEC school without one.

If you don't want to run with the big dogs then you need to get on the porch.

Translation - If we're going to be a member of a power conference and if we're serious about competing within that conference we need to be able to at the very least keep up with our conference brethren. Or find a new conference whose spending habits and facilities are more in line with what we're willing to provide our athletes.

I think you actually have to get off the porch...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HognotinMemphis

I think it is cute that the U of A wants a practice court. It means they care.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

IronMountainHog

I was told Johnny O'Bryant (LSU) was prepared to commit to Arkansas until he found out we didn't have a practice facility.

Danny J

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 31, 2014, 06:53:24 pm
I was told Johnny O'Bryant (LSU) was prepared to commit to Arkansas until he found out we didn't have a practice facility.
I never heard that from JO'B but Mickey from LSU did state that as a reason for not looking harder at Arkansas. So did Jones before his scholarship was officially rescinded.