Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Facility

Started by Hogfan1660, March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfan1660

We always shoot the ball well at BWA and can't hit the backboard on the road. It's always easier to hit your shots when you play your games on the same court that you practice on. My question is does the new practice facility make as better at home or do we start struggling to hit shots there also since we won't be practicing in BWA? Just curious to everyone's thoughts?

FaytownHog

Certainly need to have different rim tightness on different rims so we can practice different styles of play when we get to a place like Cal where the rims are made of concrete apparently.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm
We always shoot the ball well at BWA and can't hit the backboard on the road. It's always easier to hit your shots when you play your games on the same court that you practice on. My question is does the new practice facility make as better at home or do we start struggling to hit shots there also since we won't be practicing in BWA? Just curious to everyone's thoughts?

My guess is we keep practicing in the Bud when a home game is coming and we practice in PF when away games are ahead.  Should make us better. 

The PF is also for players to practice their game anytime they want, when they are not practicing as a team...

The_Iceman

The practice facility will allow our players to shoot more shots than they can now. The access to the facility will make them better shooters because they will shoot more, not because it isn't BWA.

Danny J

Practice facility ------> easier to recruit -------> better true basketball players -------> better shooters

During our run through late 80's and 90's we had shooters who could shoot no matter where they shot. It didn't matter going to Ole Miss or Texas. They could flat out shoot and good basketball players do that.

Reesedogg000

When is this practice facility supposed to be completed?

lrcentral

Folks this practice facility will not change anything. Shooting on a different rim will not help because the away rim will be different from the practice facility's rims.

Recruits do not want to come here because for as long as they have been alive Arkansas has been irrelevant in basketball. Sad but true.

The only change the practice facility will have on the program is higher ticket prices.

CMA needs to go pull in a few high level D1 players or he will be in the unemployment line in two years.

Danny J

Quote from: lrcentral on March 28, 2014, 01:56:22 am
Folks this practice facility will not change anything. Shooting on a different rim will not help because the away rim will be different from the practice facility's rims.

Recruits do not want to come here because for as long as they have been alive Arkansas has been irrelevant in basketball. Sad but true.

The only change the practice facility will have on the program is higher ticket prices.

CMA needs to go pull in a few high level D1 players or he will be in the unemployment line in two years.
Yes....it WILL change things especially in regards to recruiting. We have lost the battle for 2 recruits  just this past year and this was one of the reasons cited by both players. No telling how many we lost over the last several years. If recruits only picked relevant basketball schools then please explain why schools such as LSU, OU and Baylor keep out-recruiting us for players? We are the only SEC school without one. These big time players like to know they are living it up like their neighbors(every SEC school and really any other big time program for that matter)...the Jones'. So having a practice facility is a must and feel free to ask Richard Davenport or Trey Biddy or really any other person who speaks with recruits. They will tell you the same thing. It matters.

Tick Hog

HOGINTENNESSEE

Kids will come if you show them you are committed to winning. Having school like  Ole Piss, Miss State and Auburn having better facilities is not doing that.

This is the reason a school like Ok State is now good.

870hogfan

The practice facility will help with recruiting.

jkstock04

I realize this whole practice facility thing has really blown up the past few years and is the "in" thing....& from what I have read we are the only ones in the SEC without one? Hurts us recruiting wise not having one.

Regardless of  all that, my question is what constructive purpose would a basketball practice facility have that we currently don't already have?

Do they, at BWA...currently have a place to practice basketball? Scrimmages, drills, etc. Film room/meeting room? Locker room? Weight room?

Essentially my question is what purpose (other than "recruiting" and keeping up with the Jones') does a practice facility serve....that they don't already have? I don't really buy the rim theory and it helping us play away games better.

I understand this concept for football....not so much for bball. Someone enlighten me.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The_Iceman

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 28, 2014, 08:18:51 am
I realize this whole practice facility thing has really blown up the past few years and is the "in" thing....& from what I have read we are the only ones in the SEC without one? Hurts us recruiting wise not having one.

Regardless of  all that, my question is what constructive purpose would a basketball practice facility have that we currently don't already have?

Do they, at BWA...currently have a place to practice basketball? Scrimmages, drills, etc. Film room/meeting room? Locker room? Weight room?

Essentially my question is what purpose (other than "recruiting" and keeping up with the Jones') does a practice facility serve....that they don't already have? I don't really buy the rim theory and it helping us play away games better.

I understand this concept for football....not so much for bball. Someone enlighten me.

A practice facility gives you:

1) Men and women each have their own court
2) Men and women can have more flexible practice schedules
3) 24/7/365 access to the practice facility to work on skills
4) A centralized facility for the team to hang out and build chemistry
5) No more pickup games in the HPER
6) Ability to use BWA for concerts and other events to bring in revenue
7) Improved recruiting

hog golf

Can we get some rebounding rims in that new practice facility?
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

jkstock04

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 28, 2014, 08:38:29 am
A practice facility gives you:

1) Men and women each have their own court
2) Men and women can have more flexible practice schedules
3) 24/7/365 access to the practice facility to work on skills
4) A centralized facility for the team to hang out and build chemistry
5) No more pickup games in the HPER
6) Ability to use BWA for concerts and other events to bring in revenue
7) Improved recruiting
#1 & #2 stick out to me the most....it does seem kind of bush league for them to have to share the facilities with the women.

So as of now players cannot access BWA anytime they want to practice or whatever else they do there? Even if women are not using the facility? Ya....if answer to that is no I could for sure see that as a problem.

Anyone know where they lift weights? Watch film? I'm honestly curious if BWA has those amenities.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The_Iceman

They scaled it back from what it was originally going to be. I think it cut $10 million+ off the price tag. It is still going to look very nice. The men and women will have their own side of the facility with their own courts, locker rooms, etc.

3kgthog

I see we are already cutting corners. Cutting $10 mil off a building that size took a huge chunk out of the space/glitz/etc.

fineswine

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 28, 2014, 09:04:41 am
I see we are already cutting corners. Cutting $10 mil off a building that size took a huge chunk out of the space/glitz/etc.
There's the built in excuse.  When we continue to pull in bottom of the conference classes, they can always blame it on the facility.  The only hope for this program is for former Coach Richardson players to have fathered elite talents.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 28, 2014, 09:04:41 am

Not too much. This was the before:

They split the courts, put one on each side of the facility instead of right next to each other as shown above, giving each team more privacy/independence. Building more efficiently can also save money. From what Jeff Long said, it will still have all the necessities in it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: fineswine on March 28, 2014, 09:11:16 am
There's the built in excuse.  When we continue to pull in bottom of the conference classes, they can always blame it on the facility.  The only hope for this program is for former Coach Richardson players to have fathered elite talents.

Go away.

rude1

Let's be honest here. A practice facility will NOT make our players any better nor any worse. What it does is level the playing field with every other program in the SEC,  which in turns should give the staff the opportunity to land higher profile recruits when other programs can't point to our lack of commitment to basketball.

While this staff has never demonstrated they are an elite recruiting staff and I have my doubts that they will up recruiting once it's built, they can't be expected to win big here when the facilities were let fall woefully behind over the years before they arrived.

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on March 28, 2014, 09:58:27 am
Let's be honest here. A practice facility will NOT make our players any better nor any worse. What it does is level the playing field with every other program in the SEC,  which in turns should give the staff the opportunity to land higher profile recruits when other programs can't point to our lack of commitment to basketball.

While this staff has never demonstrated they are an elite recruiting staff and I have my doubts that they will up recruiting once it's built, they can't be expected to win big here when the facilities were let fall woefully behind over the years before they arrived.

I agree with most of this. But when you hear about players having to go to gyms in Springdale or go to the run-down HPER building just to get some shots up, you realize not having one hurts player development.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 28, 2014, 10:03:39 am
I agree with most of this. But when you hear about players having to go to gyms in Springdale or go to the run-down HPER building just to get some shots up, you realize not having one hurts player development.
That's probably exaggerated IMO. I am sure there's currently plenty of opportunity for our players to get in work. If the practice facilities was the bees knees then why are there so many bad teams in the SEC when everyone but us has one? Like I said, this is about leveling the playing field and demonstrating an equal commitment to the basketball program.

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on March 28, 2014, 10:12:49 am
That's probably exaggerated IMO. I am sure there's currently plenty of opportunity for our players to get in work. If the practice facilities was the bees knees then why are there so many bad teams in the SEC when everyone but us has one? Like I said, this is about leveling the playing field and demonstrating an equal commitment to the basketball program.

I agree with that. But there have been some stories and instances described by Jeff Long that are just unacceptable for a program that claims to be dedicated to building a championship basketball program. With the practice facility, we will accomplish a lot of goals.

If Mike gets us back to the tournament next year, and he is established as the long-term coach which brings stability, then you add in the practice facility, the program should be back to an annual Top 25 team 2015 and beyond.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 28, 2014, 10:17:21 am
I agree with that. But there have been some stories and instances described by Jeff Long that are just unacceptable for a program that claims to be dedicated to building a championship basketball program. With the practice facility, we will accomplish a lot of goals.

If Mike gets us back to the tournament next year, and he is established as the long-term coach which brings stability, then you add in the practice facility, the program should be back to an annual Top 25 team 2015 and beyond.
I agree with this. There is no doubt the practice facility is a must. The hope is that it's the final piece of the puzzle of putting back together a winning basketball program, if indeed CMA is the long term fix as coach.

ICEman

Maybe the athletic department can panel the walls of the practice facility with 4K video boards and then 'pipe-in' video to simulate the environments of all road games. (tongue-in-cheek).
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on March 28, 2014, 10:26:46 am
I agree with this. There is no doubt the practice facility is a must. The hope is that it's the final piece of the puzzle of putting back together a winning basketball program, if indeed CMA is the long term fix as coach.

No tournament next year, and I'm done with Mike.

Hog1952

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 28, 2014, 03:48:38 am
Yes....it WILL change things especially in regards to recruiting. We have lost the battle for 2 recruits  just this past year and this was one of the reasons cited by both players. No telling how many we lost over the last several years. If recruits only picked relevant basketball schools then please explain why schools such as LSU, OU and Baylor keep out-recruiting us for players? We are the only SEC school without one. These big time players like to know they are living it up like their neighbors(every SEC school and really any other big time program for that matter)...the Jones'. So having a practice facility is a must and feel free to ask Richard Davenport or Trey Biddy or really any other person who speaks with recruits. They will tell you the same thing. It matters.
We've had the best arena and fans for 20 years and it hasn't helped.

Hog1952

Quote from: hog golf on March 28, 2014, 08:44:45 am

+1 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rude1 on March 28, 2014, 10:12:49 am

99% of ALL the programs that people think are the "top" programs have one. It isn't about just the SEC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Reesedogg000 on March 27, 2014, 10:06:03 pm
When is this practice facility supposed to be completed?
Should be done in April of 2015
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 28, 2014, 10:33:37 am
No tournament next year, and I'm done with Mike.
I understand your feelings. This was one frustrating season. I sure hope that CMA is the answer for us, because I really don't want to be starting over again.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: Hog1952 on March 28, 2014, 12:49:04 pm
We've had the best arena and fans for 20 years and it hasn't helped.
i agree that we have one of the nicer arenas but we only have the best fans at heart. When you watch a game and there is only about 2500- 3000 there the elite talent watches that too. It doesn't look good to me and I'm a fan. Why would a top prospect want to come play for a school that can't get their fans to support them?

(notOM)Rebel123

.... Shooting on a different rim will not help because the away rim will be different from the practice facility's rims....

I agree with this. But I think it will help in recruiting. It will certainly help with the practice schedule, since BWA has to be shared with the Lady 'Backs. Gotta keep up with the Jones's
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 29, 2014, 07:47:06 am
I agree with this. But I think it will help in recruiting. It will certainly help with the practice schedule, since BWA has to be shared with the Lady 'Backs. Gotta keep up with the Jones's

If they use a variety of style rims in the practice facility it can teach the kids to adjust, it will also improve our shooting percentages.  Our kids will be able to get up hundreds of more shots a week. 

There has been numerous stories of players using other gyms to get extra work in.  Remember Rotnei getting in a car wreck on his way from a gym shooting right before a game?  (Earlier in the day actually if memory serves me correct

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 29, 2014, 08:18:11 am
If they use a variety of style rims in the practice facility it can teach the kids to adjust, it will also improve our shooting percentages.  Our kids will be able to get up hundreds of more shots a week. 

There has been numerous stories of players using other gyms to get extra work in.  Remember Rotnei getting in a car wreck on his way from a gym shooting right before a game?  (Earlier in the day actually if memory serves me correct

I remember hearing something about that happening to Rotnei. Didn't know if it was true or not. But the UofA needs the facility, no doubt, for a variety of reasons.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

code red

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 pm
Maybe just maybe.  But...it could also be a little lack of mental toughness.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ICEman on March 28, 2014, 10:32:42 am
Maybe the athletic department can panel the walls of the practice facility with 4K video boards and then 'pipe-in' video to simulate the environments of all road games. (tongue-in-cheek).

Great minds.  I thought the same thing.  The audio is definitely possible.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hog golf on March 28, 2014, 08:44:45 am

Great post.  I only had one +1 to give.

FrozenHam

I agree with much of what has been said here regarding the practice facility.  While it won't necessarily make our players better, it should help recruit better players by demonstrating our university's commitment to basketball. 

Like most Razorback fans, I am also disheartened by their road woes.  Similar to the different rims idea and simulating road games idea with a fancy audio/video system, I have been asking my wife about the idea of simply holding preseason practices at different gyms around the state.  This would present considerable travel and scheduling issues, but it might start to acclimate our team to competing on unfamiliar courts.  It may provide a cost-effective means to build road-game confidence among the Razorback basketball team.  Just an idea.  Plausible?  Silly?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: FrozenHam on March 29, 2014, 10:22:16 am
I agree with much of what has been said here regarding the practice facility.  While it won't necessarily make our players better, it should help recruit better players by demonstrating our university's commitment to basketball. 

Like most Razorback fans, I am also disheartened by their road woes.  Similar to the different rims idea and simulating road games idea with a fancy audio/video system, I have been asking my wife about the idea of simply holding preseason practices at different gyms around the state.  This would present considerable travel and scheduling issues, but it might start to acclimate our team to competing on unfamiliar courts.  It may provide a cost-effective means to build road-game confidence among the Razorback basketball team.  Just an idea.  Plausible?  Silly?

There are enough gyms around Fayetteville to make it feasible and would be a great PR move.  Sign a few autographs while there.

FrozenHam

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 29, 2014, 10:28:26 am
There are enough gyms around Fayetteville to make it feasible and would be a great PR move.  Sign a few autographs while there.

Yes!  Right?  Fantastic public relations.  It might increase the visibility of the team, make them available to a younger audience.  Guess who's gonna be practicing in our gym tonight, kids?  And it may even help a few gyms financially through a leasing agreement.  I just believe that having to pile into a bus, travel an hour or two, get off the bus and make baskets on an unfamiliar court will benefit any team, but particularly those who have demonstrated difficulty doing it.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: FrozenHam on March 29, 2014, 10:38:55 am
Yes!  Right?  Fantastic public relations.  It might increase the visibility of the team, make them available to a younger audience.  Guess who's gonna be practicing in our gym tonight, kids?  And it may even help a few gyms financially through a leasing agreement.  I just believe that having to pile into a bus, travel an hour or two, get off the bus and make baskets on an unfamiliar court will benefit any team, but particularly those who have demonstrated difficulty doing it.

Go to John Brown and have a scrimmage.

Kevin

is it correct that one of the reasons for the facility, is because the players cannot get in when they want for extra work?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FrozenHam

yraciv

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 10:45:53 am
is it correct that one of the reasons for the facility, is because the players cannot get in when they want for extra work?

Yes! These guys have to go to the Hyper, Fayetteville High, or All Star up in Springdale to get in shots if Bud Walton Arena is being used for any other event. I've even seen some playing pickup in a park. This eliminates that and allows them a 24/7 facility to go to.

Hogfaniam

Woulda Coulda Shoulda Time!

If that practice facility would have helped us score 6 more points per game this year, we would have gone at least 27-7 and had at least a high 5 seed, probably a 4.

Kevin

what events are in bwa at 6am or 11pm.  sounds like to me, they could get in there, just not when they want to.

what events are in bwa, from now till hs graduations?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

yraciv

Quote from: Kevin on March 29, 2014, 11:28:03 am
what events are in bwa at 6am or 11pm.  sounds like to me, they could get in there, just not when they want to.

what events are in bwa, from now till hs graduations?

Oh they can get in there most of the time, and most of them do. That being said, during summer, graduations, shareholder meetings, women's practices and games, late at night, they cannot. No other SEC basketball players have that limitation, and that is why this was needed on top of the "keeping up" part of it.  On the reverse, Arkansas can't rent out Bud Walton for other events due to the Razorbacks needing the facility.  This opens Bud Walton up for more events and revenue opportunities.

Kevin

Quote from: yraciv on March 29, 2014, 11:35:07 am
Oh they can get in there most of the time, and most of them do. That being said, during summer, graduations, shareholder meetings, women's practices and games, late at night, they cannot. No other SEC basketball players have that limitation, and that is why this was needed on top of the "keeping up" part of it.  On the reverse, Arkansas can't rent out Bud Walton for other events due to the Razorbacks needing the facility.  This opens Bud Walton up for more events and revenue opportunities.

now, you have hit the nail on the head. not about the players, but how can the university make more money.

i want them to have a facility so they cannot use it as an excuse, for mediocre recruiting.

but, it will be something different, once it is built