Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Hogs' defensive coaches want to see how to play defense

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 25, 2014, 10:20:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

with the right discipline and execution and maximum effort, I suggest they gather the players and view the video of the '78 Orange Bowl vs OU.

And it would not hurt if they went out and found a few men like Dan Hampton, Reggie Freeman, Jimmy Walker and William Hampton.

And if another Ron Calcagni could be found for the other side of the ball, that would not hurt us any either.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

chitwnhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:20:45 am
with the right discipline and execution and maximum effort, I suggest they gather the players and view the video of the '78 Orange Bowl vs OU.

And it would not hurt if they went out and found a few men like Dan Hampton, Reggie Freeman, Jimmy Walker and William Hampton.

And if another Ron Calcagni could be found for the other side of the ball, that would not hurt us any either.

And just as important...Monte Kiffin was the Defensive Coordinator.

1960'sHogFan

The offense got a lot of credit, but the defense was unbelievable. It's worth watching.

The defense should also watch the 69 Shootout. Maybe they should watch these everyday?

Steef

78 Orange was probably the single best Hog game of all time.

LZH

texas tush hog

Quote from: beachhog4 on March 25, 2014, 11:55:02 am
The offense got a lot of credit, but the defense was unbelievable. It's worth watching.

The defense should also watch the 69 Shootout. Maybe they should watch these everyday?

The 64 team closed with five straight shutouts and gave up an average of 5.7 points a game, that's going to be hard to ever beat in modern football, held an awesome Nebraska team to 7 points in the Cotton Bowl, I might add.

EastexHawg

Having two All-American defensive tackles didn't hurt in that '78 Orange Bowl.  Back in those days the adage was "all things being equal, the team with the best tackles will win."  It can't get much better than having two first team AAs.

The '64-'65 Hogs weren't hurting in the tackle department, either.  Loyd Phillips, Glen Ray Hines, Dick Cunningham, Jim Williams...

JIHawg

One other key piece of information-Holtz studying film picked up a movement by one of the offensive linemen-the center I think- that gave away their play-which way they were going.  Our defense knew if the play was coming right or left.  That's a big thing against the wishbone.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

acey33

Mike_e

The 2000 Cotton Bowl was pretty good too.

Heck the game we played against Tebow and Fla was pretty good except the hosing we got by the refs.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Mike_e on March 27, 2014, 09:16:16 am
The 2000 Cotton Bowl was pretty good too.

Heck the game we played against Tebow and Fla was pretty good except the hosing we got by the refs.
Those two do not come close to the defensive effort in the '78 Orange Bowl. Anyway, not trying to come up with a list of games with good defensive effort. Just noting THE defensive effort of the past 40 or so years of Arkansas Razorback football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

JIHawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2014, 09:37:14 am
Those two do not come close to the defensive effort in the '78 Orange Bowl. Anyway, not trying to come up with a list of games with good defensive effort. Just noting THE defensive effort of the past 40 or so years of Arkansas Razorback football.

That year one could make an argument that we were #1 in the country at the end of the season.

Pig In The City

razorbacker3

Quote from: JIHawg on March 27, 2014, 10:24:43 am
That year one could make an argument that we were #1 in the country at the end of the season.

Had Texas not gotten smashed by Norte Dame in the Cotton Bowl that day, we probably would've gotten the NO.1 vote in more polls that the one that did.

tophawg19

can't remember the year but that 42 -11 beating we gave Texas was a classic to
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 27, 2014, 10:34:02 am
can't remember the year but that 42 -11 beating we gave Texas was a classic to
This is not a list of classic or memorable games. It is about defensive perfection.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbacker3 on March 27, 2014, 10:31:07 am
Had Texas not gotten smashed by Norte Dame in the Cotton Bowl that day, we probably would've gotten the NO.1 vote in more polls that the one that did.
If Texas had won, they would have been unanimous #1. They were undefeated before the CB loss to ND. And if ND had won by a FG, they would probably have still vaulted past the 4 teams ranked above them because they were the only team to beat Texas. And if ND had not gotten #1, the polls would have voted Bama over us, which they did anyway, with Bama finishing #2 that year and Hogs were #3.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 27, 2014, 12:39:47 pm
This is not a list of classic or memorable games. It is about defensive perfection.

Kind of ironic to get your thread derailed, Oh great derail-er... ;) I sense the work of tranny trolls...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:20:45 am

The videos to watch regarding how to play Defense would be the following 3 game videos.

Gary Gibbs' 1985 OU Defense vs. #17 Texas on October 12, 1985

Texas' Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   70 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   17 Yards     35 carries by Texas for a .48 yards per carry average. 

Total Passing Yards   53 Yards

Texas had zero First Downs during the 2nd Half of the game

OU intercepted 3 Texas passes

Texas scored just 7 points

Brent Venables' 2009 OU Defense vs. #12 Oklahoma State on November 29, 2009

It was a down OU Team in 2009 due to a season ending shoulder injury to QB Sam Bradford earlier in the season, and OU Offensive Linemen out for the season.  Despite that, it was a defensive masterpiece by Venables.

Oklahoma State's Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   109 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   62 Yards

Total Passing Yards   47 Yards

3rd Down Conversions   0 Conversions on 14 attempts

1st Downs   6 First Downs

Oklahoma State scored 0 points

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=293320201

John Chavis' 2011 LSU Defense vs. #3 Hogs on November 25, 2011

Chavis schooled Robert Petrino.  Chavis held Petrino's finesse Offense to just 10 points (7 of our 17 total points came on an Alonzo Highsmith fumble return for a TD).  Our Offense scored 14 points on Alabama's Defense earlier in the 2011 season, but only 10 points against Chavis' LSU Defense.

Hogs' Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   254 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   47 Yards

Total Passing Yards   207 Yards

1st Downs   11 First Downs

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=313290099 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 31, 2014, 05:36:45 pm
The videos to watch regarding how to play Defense would be the following 3 game videos.

Gary Gibbs' 1985 OU Defense vs. #17 Texas on October 12, 1985

Texas' Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   70 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   17 Yards     35 carries by Texas for a .48 yards per carry average. 

Total Passing Yards   53 Yards

Texas had zero First Downs during the 2nd Half of the game

OU intercepted 3 Texas passes

Texas scored just 7 points

Brent Venables' 2009 OU Defense vs. #12 Oklahoma State on November 29, 2009

It was a down OU Team in 2009 due to a season ending shoulder injury to QB Sam Bradford earlier in the season, and OU Offensive Linemen out for the season.  Despite that, it was a defensive masterpiece by Venables.

Oklahoma State's Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   109 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   62 Yards

Total Passing Yards   47 Yards

3rd Down Conversions   0 Conversions on 14 attempts

1st Downs   6 First Downs

Oklahoma State scored 0 points

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=293320201

John Chavis' 2011 LSU Defense vs. #3 Hogs on November 25, 2011

Chavis schooled Robert Petrino.  Chavis held Petrino's finesse Offense to just 10 points (7 of our 17 total points came on an Alonzo Highsmith fumble return for a TD).  Our Offense scored 14 points on Alabama's Defense earlier in the 2011 season, but only 10 points against Chavis' LSU Defense.

Hogs' Offensive Stats.

Total Offensive Yards   254 Yards

Total Rushing Yards   47 Yards

Total Passing Yards   207 Yards

1st Downs   11 First Downs

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=313290099 

Good grief, you Gibbs and Venables need to get a room.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.