Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Season in about Six Years

Started by WilsonHog, March 25, 2014, 08:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

More wins, more high profile wins, in the conversation for the NCAA Tournament late in the year, and post-season basketball. Not a great season, although we played great at times (certainly not a lousy season, even though we played that way at times, too), but one in which the program moved forward.

I appreciate the work of our seniors - and we haven't been able to really say that for awhile around here. They all played their tails off. Even when a couple of them saw their playing time decrease dramatically, they never whined or complained; they stayed patient and were ready when called upon.

Looking forward, we need a Lee Mayberry, a Corey Beck, or a Kareem Reid. Not an original thought; Nolan said the same thing three weeks ago. It's interesting that for all the talk about "40 minutes" being unstructured, the three top point guards in UA history played for Nolan from 1989 to 1999. Moreover, those three guys recorded eight of the top 10 assist seasons in school history, and in those years averaged 194 assists per season. That's over twice what our assist leader had this season. We'll take the next step if Anton Beard or Jabril Durham can take over the point next season.

A good season; better ones are ahead.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

popcornhog

Exactly. It was not a great season.

We have a long way to go.

There are real problems that need to be fixed.

But we clearly improved from the previous year.
WPS

The_Iceman

Go to get better at the guard position. If our offense is going to be based mostly around shooting the three, we have to put together a roster with some players that can consistently knock one down.

High Octane Hog

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 08:25:23 am
Go to get better at the guard position. If our offense is going to be based mostly around shooting the three, we have to put together a roster with some players that can consistently knock one down.

This is the real issue behind everything in my opinion.

CMA says repeatedly that his system is a guard oriented system. Well, in his first three years he has used someone else's guards. Bell is the only one he has brought in (which he deserves questioning for) who has started to put it together. Wagner was a shot in the dark that missed. But other than that he has yet to have guards that are his. Now, he has also had a scholarship the last three years that he hasn't used. I would have liked to see a good guard brought in, but maybe Anderson is more patient than that and didn't want to use the scholarship until his other guards were gone. That is a lot of speculation, though.

In the end, I am anxious to see how we are playing by SEC play next year with a team totally and completely full of his players, outside of Madden. He will have his guards and he needs to show us that things will be different.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

grayhawg

And we have some calling for Mike to be fired.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 25, 2014, 08:16:14 am
More wins, more high profile wins, in the conversation for the NCAA Tournament late in the year, and post-season basketball. Not a great season, although we played great at times (certainly not a lousy season, even though we played that way at times, too), but one in which the program moved forward.

I appreciate the work of our seniors - and we haven't been able to really say that for awhile around here. They all played their tails off. Even when a couple of them saw their playing time decrease dramatically, they never whined or complained; they stayed patient and were ready when called upon.

Looking forward, we need a Lee Mayberry, a Corey Beck, or a Kareem Reid. Not an original thought; Nolan said the same thing three weeks ago. It's interesting that for all the talk about "40 minutes" being unstructured, the three top point guards in UA history played for Nolan from 1989 to 1999. Moreover, those three guys recorded eight of the top 10 assist seasons in school history, and in those years averaged 194 assists per season. That's over twice what our assist leader had this season. We'll take the next step if Anton Beard or Jabril Durham can take over the point next season.

Frustrating when we can sweep KY and should have beaten Fla yetcannot beat an undermanned California on a second shot at them. Same for losing to Bama and SC. You know it, I know it and everyone here knows it..."it" being that Anderson is a little behind the curve on where we should be after 3 years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

razorhogLR

Quote from: grayhawg on March 25, 2014, 09:58:08 am
And we have some calling for Mike to be fired.

Mediocrity is better than bad, yet still not acceptable. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:26:29 am
Frustrating when we can sweep KY and should have beaten Fla yetcannot beat an undermanned California on a second shot at them. Same for losing to Bama and SC. You know it, I know it and everyone here knows it..."it" being that Anderson is a little behind the curve on where we should be after 3 years.

He has us about where I thought we would be. I said before the season I would be happy with the NIT this year. Next year I'll be happy with a NCAA bid.   

elksnort

We are about where I was hoping, but the expectations get toyed with when they beat UK twice, almost beat UF, and put a 110 points on Ole Miss. The lack of consistency with the scoring and seemingly a lack of adjustments are the two issues that bother me.

This team is in fact, the best in 6 years or so. They have improved and hopefully, the new guys will improve the guard play.

I expect an NCAA birth next year.

Kevin

Quote from: razorhogLR on March 25, 2014, 10:32:57 am

best post of the day
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FelixJonesorDMAC?

If either of those guys don't pan out to be that great point guard, which is a lit of pressure on those guys, we will have the same exact season next year.  Anderson will be in trouble at that point.  Big Dance or Bust, I love Anderson but if he can't find a great PG Leader by year 4 then something is wrong in the recruiting department.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2014, 10:41:52 am
best post of the day

No one is saying mediocrity is acceptable.

Let's say that Mike leaves tomorrow, and that over the next four years his successor goes 10-20, 14-16, 18-12, and 22-8. Is that "mediocre?" Yeah, maybe....but it's PROGRESS. Certainly a body of work that should bring him back for a fifth year.

Our football team just went 3-9. Should I forget context this fall and just say, "oh, look, we're playing 12 games. A great season would be about 10-2, so I think I'll just expect that?"

Yeah, if I'm an idiot. 6-6 and a bowl game this fall would be great. Maybe 8-4 next fall.

Progression.

bigredone

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 25, 2014, 10:47:30 am

Let's say that Mike leaves tomorrow, and that over the next four years his successor goes 10-20, 14-16, 18-12, and 22-8. Is that "mediocre?" Yeah, maybe....but it's PROGRESS. Certainly a body of work that should bring him back for a fifth year.

Our football team just went 3-9. Should I forget context this fall and just say, "oh, look, we're playing 12 games. A great season would be about 10-2, so I think I'll just expect that?"

Yeah, if I'm an idiot. 6-6 and a bowl game this fall would be great. Maybe 8-4 next fall.

Progression.

You are too intelligent for the whiners. I don't think they understand and it is probably not their fault. Bad genetics?

popcornhog

Exactly. And here's what we hired Mike to do. Take us from:

Horrible to bad to mediocre to conference contenders nationally competitive to great -- and to maintain at or above the level of conference contenders long term.

It's working out so far.
WPS

Kevin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on March 25, 2014, 10:47:30 am

Progression.

6-6 & a bowl game would be great. year 2 of a football program, they needs more players to turn it around. plus freshman usually need to redshirt and don't make a big impact.

year 3 in a basketball program, fewer players needed, & freshman can make an impact.

you cannot compare football & basketball.

if coach anderson is 25-8, next year then he has it going.

i am predicting 22 wins, and either an nit or ncaa bid, depending on the who the wins are against, and when they are.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

PonderinHog

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2014, 11:14:16 am

Horrible to bad to mediocre to conference contenders nationally competitive to great -- and to maintain at or above the level of conference contenders long term.

It's working out so far.
Just not as fast as I'd hoped.  Progress, nonetheless.   :razorback:  Hope we don't take a step back next year.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2014, 11:17:23 am
6-6 & a bowl game would be great. year 2 of a football program, they needs more players to turn it around. plus freshman usually need to redshirt and don't make a big impact.

year 3 in a basketball program, fewer players needed, & freshman can make an impact.

you cannot compare football & basketball.

if coach anderson is 25-8, next year then he has it going.

i am predicting 22 wins, and either an nit or ncaa bid, depending on the who the wins are against, and when they are.

I first compared basketball to basketball.

razorhogLR

It's working out so far.

I agree.  I love Mike and his style is exactly what I would want for us.  This season actually turned out to be MUCH better than I thought it was going to be after losing all that talent from last year, and I give all that credit to Mike.  I just hope there's method to the madness that was our last four games.   

TOM "tbw1"

There are some people on this board that do not realize how much harder it is to teach defensive basketball vs. offense.  Case in point is Florida, a senior laden team.  There defense is stifling.  You are not going to find great shooters out there in droves.  If they are they are the one and dones.  Therefore, IMHO, it will take defense for Arkansas to win basketball games.

Coach Anderson's defense is based on having player communicate with each and knowing where the other players are on the court.  There will be marked improvement on an off the court as the players mature into the system.

Saying someone is behind the curve does not show understanding of the program and is only comparing scores.  This is a good program in the making.

The major piece of the plan that is missing is having a go to scorer.  One outside shooter will make a world of difference in our motion offense.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hobhog

It's working out so far.

Agree. And I haven't seen anyone wanting changes to staff now. But a no show next year would be VERY disappointing and make year 5 questionable. I hate turnover as much as anybody, but we wouldn't have hired MA in first place if he said his first 4 years would be mediocre with no dance. This should have been a dance year. Next year is a must.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: hobhog on March 25, 2014, 12:43:03 pm
Agree. And I haven't seen anyone wanting changes to staff now. But a no show next year would be VERY disappointing and make year 5 questionable. I hate turnover as much as anybody, but we wouldn't have hired MA in first place if he said his first 4 years would be mediocre with no dance. This should have been a dance year. Next year is a must.

Why should it have been a dance year?  Facts, please.  And, please, no one size fits all definition from "Them".
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

secfan30

San Heath got five years, the red head wonder got 4 and was not improving.

This year we saw improvement. I.e. road wins over someone not named Auburn. First Post Season since 2008, better team basketball.

We are not where we want to be however we are further along than we have been in a long time.

Atlhogfan1

It could have been a dance year.  Should maybe isn't the right word.  But going into the conference part of the schedule and having seen the SEC teams and the Hogs, it was reasonable to see the Hogs could have been in the NCAAT with the right coaching and execution. 

What is interesting is to go back and read posts with the expectations of Anderson before he was hired and immediately after he was hired.  They have been lowered considerably.  But some of that was a means to an end to sway opinion of him and sell the fan base.  Others were just blinded by nostalgia or revenge for Nolan.  Only at Arkansas could things like this happen.  What a 16 years we have had. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:14:06 pm
It could have been a dance year.  Should maybe isn't the right word.  But going into the conference part of the schedule and having seen the SEC teams and the Hogs, it was reasonable to see the Hogs could have been in the NCAAT with the right coaching and execution. 

What is interesting is to go back and read posts with the expectations of Anderson before he was hired and immediately after he was hired.  They have been lowered considerably.  But some of that was a means to an end to sway opinion of him and sell the fan base.  Others were just blinded by nostalgia or revenge for Nolan.  Only at Arkansas could things like this happen.  What a 16 years we have had. 

I hated it when Coach Anderson was hired because I really like him and think he is a quality coach.  The reason I hated it was that so many people believed that once he was hired, the glory days would return instantly.  Very few fans realized the depths that our program had fallen to and how far behind we were other programs. 

1.  Our APR was terrible and had to be fixed at once or face sanctions.
2.  Arkansas basketball facilities had fallen significantly behind others in the SEC and region wise as well.
3.  There was no recruiting base in place at all.
4.  The players we were recruiting to Arkansas had no idea we were once a major player if they lived outside of Arkansas.

Arkansas fans who wanted Coach Anderson to return and make magic will be disappointed.  Arkansas fans who wanted a Coach Anderson who will out work others to build a solid program will not be disappointed.

Very few on this board realize what it takes to make a contending basketball program year in and year out.  Yet, they are experts on how long it should take.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:14:06 pm

Execution was the problem.  We had shots, we had rebound position, defensive position in many games.  You cannot ask for much more than that.

We ain't where we want to be,
We ain't where we are going to be
Thank God, we ain't where we were.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: secfan30 on March 25, 2014, 01:11:11 pm
San Heath

Isn't that just north of San Diego?  I think we open there next year.  What about the TV?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 01:26:12 pm
I hated it when Coach Anderson was hired because I really like him and think he is a quality coach.  The reason I hated it was that so many people believed that once he was hired, the glory days would return instantly.  Very few fans realized the depths that our program had fallen to and how far behind we were other programs. 

2.  Arkansas basketball facilities had fallen significantly behind others in the SEC and region wise as well.
4.  The players we were recruiting to Arkansas had no idea we were once a major player if they lived outside of Arkansas.

Arkansas fans who wanted Coach Anderson to return and make magic will be disappointed.  Arkansas fans who wanted a Coach Anderson who will out work others to build a solid program will not be disappointed.

Very few on this board realize what it takes to make a contending basketball program year in and year out.  Yet, they are experts on how long it should take.

Success can be influenced by timing.  Good coaches can fail because they took or got a job at the wrong time.  Mediocre to bad ones can have some success too because of it.  Timing also can be seen in recruiting like the Triplets coming together or Mike's nephew transferring to Mizzou or Arkansas producing a Monk to perhaps go with upperclassmen like Portis and Kingsley.  If a coach hangs around Arkansas long enough, they'll get a chance to have a good team.  Mike will get to be around for a long time. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 01:28:39 pm
Execution was the problem.  We had shots, we had rebound position, defensive position in many games.  You cannot ask for much more than that.

We ain't where we want to be,
We ain't where we are going to be
Thank God, we ain't where we were.

Execution was a problem.  Can't say I agree with the defensive position part.  Other problems or wrong decisions have been discussed ad nauseam this season.  We'll probably disagree on those. 

Yes, good words to remember. 

blu

I like Mike and I like where he is taking our program. Like Nolan, he needs players to play his game. He isn't perfect and his players don't always execute like they should, but really, Gulley and Clarke are the only two seniors that contributed much this season. It has been a long, long time since we have had returning talent like we have coming back next season.

If we get any kind of contribution from our 5 new replacements, and with reasonable improvments in our returnees, we should be a Top 25 team next year and easily make the dance. And great post by the OP. 
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Breems

Amen.

There is so much talk about how we don't need a "true" PG, which is a bunch of crap.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hobhog

March 25, 2014, 03:01:52 pm #32 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:12:35 pm by hobhog
Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 01:08:08 pm
Why should it have been a dance year?  Facts, please.  And, please, no one size fits all definition from "Them".

Because 3 years is PLENTY of time to install a dancing program. Like the old saying says, if they're gonna bite, they'll bite as a pup. What I am hearing is Anderson isn't an Xs and Os coach, he needs the players. Or that his system is so complicated it takes years to install. I don't beleive that.

I have watched basketball since the 70s and understand what it takes to win big. But I'm inpatient I guess. 3 years ago when Mike was hired I thought we'd be dancing by now. I see other programs go from mud to the dance in as many years and refuse to believe we are so downtrodden that it isnt possible here.

Mike gets next year and if he delivers, all is well. If not he will feel the heat. Why is that not fair?

hogfan10

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 12:32:46 pm
There are some people on this board that do not realize how much harder it is to teach defensive basketball vs. offense.  Case in point is Florida, a senior laden team.  There defense is stifling.  You are not going to find great shooters out there in droves.  If they are they are the one and dones.  Therefore, IMHO, it will take defense for Arkansas to win basketball games.

Coach Anderson's defense is based on having player communicate with each and knowing where the other players are on the court.  There will be marked improvement on an off the court as the players mature into the system.

Saying someone is behind the curve does not show understanding of the program and is only comparing scores.  This is a good program in the making.

The major piece of the plan that is missing is having a go to scorer.  One outside shooter will make a world of difference in our motion offense.

Sorry Tom, but I disagree. It may be harder to teach Anderson's defensive scheme, but that doesn't mean it is harder to teach defense in general. Syracuse is defensive oriented, and they seem to adjust from year to year. Florida (your example) has been to the Elite 8 each of the prior 4 years (and possibly this year), and they haven't always had senior laden teams. VCU, San Diego St, Tennessee, Mich St, PITT, Cincy, Lville, and Iowa St are some other examples of teams that attempt (and do) play good/great defense year in and year out regardless of the class (Sr, Jr, .....) makeup of their team.

hogfan10

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 01:26:12 pm

1 - I thought that was the one thing Pelphrey did, clean up the APR mess he inherited from Heath.
2 - Maybe so, but it's hard to believe this significance was great. If it was all about facilities, why does the SEC pretty much suck with the exception of UK/UF.
3 - Recruiting base? Shouldn't that have been something he was developing while he was at UAB & Mizzou, and besides didn't he inherit a top 5 class in his first year?
4 - That's why it is called recruiting, his job is to sell the University of Arkansas to the potential student athletes whether they are from in or out of state.

High Octane Hog

Amen!

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 25, 2014, 03:21:48 pm
Sorry Tom, but I disagree. It may be harder to teach Anderson's defensive scheme, but that doesn't mean it is harder to teach defense in general. Syracuse is defensive oriented, and they seem to adjust from year to year. Florida (your example) has been to the Elite 8 each of the prior 4 years (and possibly this year), and they haven't always had senior laden teams. VCU, San Diego St, Tennessee, Mich St, PITT, Cincy, Lville, and Iowa St are some other examples of teams that attempt (and do) play good/great defense year in and year out regardless of the class (Sr, Jr, .....) makeup of their team.

I think by disagreeing, you actually agree.  Each of the programs you mention with the exception of the Vols teach defense and it is hard to do.  Many coaches do not have the tenacity to teach defense like Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins or Coach Donovan.  Syracuse is a prime example.  Their matchup zone is similar to ours,  The program and staff have been in place for a while.  There is a continuity from year to year. And it takes hard work to get there.

You will see better defense at Arkansas as players stay together and mesh together.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: hobhog on March 25, 2014, 03:01:52 pm
I see other programs go from mud to the dance in as many years

Which ones in particular?

Atlhogfan1

three hog night

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 08:25:23 am

That is the one issue with this pressing style of play-shooting.   You can't press if you don't make your shots. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

hogfan10

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 26, 2014, 12:21:38 am
I think by disagreeing, you actually agree.  Each of the programs you mention with the exception of the Vols teach defense and it is hard to do.  Many coaches do not have the tenacity to teach defense like Jim Boeheim, Bob Huggins or Coach Donovan.  Syracuse is a prime example.  Their matchup zone is similar to ours,  The program and staff have been in place for a while.  There is a continuity from year to year. And it takes hard work to get there.

You will see better defense at Arkansas as players stay together and mesh together.

Sort of, you stated Anderson needs time to implement his system, well this is year 3 with relatively little turnover in players. My point was those teams/coaches I mentioned don't seem to have a problem getting their players to grasp/buy in to their defensive philosophies. College basketball is a revolving door as far as players go, so if what you say is true, we can never expect continual success, because we will have new players every 2-3 years.

Kevin

Quote from: Breems on March 25, 2014, 02:52:09 pm
Amen.

There is so much talk about how we don't need a "true" PG, which is a bunch of crap.

that is what coach anderson said in the preseason. so if it is crap, he was shoveling it.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:26:29 am

I feel your frustration, but Nolan has told folks around him - numerous times - that Mike refused to believe how bad things were when he came on board. This is a complete reboot, it just didn't look like at the time. Dana Altman had it right in some ways - this could be a career-killing job because of the illusion of "being close".

Mike has done yeoman's work and I'm quite pleased. Oh, I'd love to have us in the Sweet Sixteen this weekend and wondering if I could afford tickets and travel. That would require a lot of things to have "gone right" that Mike had no control over when he arrived (ie, the ability to reboot the roster...the API didn't allow that).

Tom, fine OP. You are spot on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Breems

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 10:21:16 am
that is what coach anderson said in the preseason. so if it is crap, he was shoveling it.

Just as you said, he was probably saying it because he doesn't have one.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Kevin

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2014, 12:06:33 pm
Just as you said, he was probably saying it because he doesn't have one.

him not having one is on him, thank goodness one was born in arkansas, so he could sign him this year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 02:00:13 pm
him not having one is on him, thank goodness one was born in arkansas, so he could sign him this year.

We signed two.

Kevin

hawgmasta

Great original post. Of course we have many issues; most teams do. An NIT bid for most coaches in year 3 and improving the win total each time would be considered good at most other schools. It's because we were once great and Anderson was associated with that many have unrealistic expectations of him.

Saying that, I do think that if we don't make the tournament next year we better win the NIT and/or get two of McClure, Whitt, and Allen committed. After four years at a major conference school with the kind of money and resources you have available it should be there.  Anderson has been winning a game or two more each year so far. So if we win 22-24 next year I would be satisfied. It would probably mean we were on the bubble at 22 but if we get some quality wins I don't see how 23+ would be getting us left out.  With the guys we have coming back we should be able to do that.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2014, 02:41:14 pm
why wasn't one signed last year.

Because going into last year, the staff probably felt Madden, Gulley, Scott, and Kikko were all capable of handling the point. Our needs were at post, so we signed Portis and Kingsley.

This offseason, our need was clearly at guard. We added Beard, Durham, and Babb. Miles was added to help at the forward spot, and Thompson will provide some beef inside.

Kevin