Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Walton Diagnosing the Hogs

Started by Rbill, March 25, 2014, 06:50:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 25, 2014, 02:23:49 pm
I need more Bill Walton next year like I need more cowbell. Dude cracked me up

Yep. His shenanigan-esque commentary was almost like Bob Uecker playing  Harry Doyle in "Major League'.  He was the only thing that made the game watchable.

"Whoa...just missed" = "Juuuust a bit outside"

"None of these wild shots are going in" = "Ball 4....Ball 8......Ball 12....."
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Danny J

He did more to promote our program and our state as a whole in one single game than our athletic dept has done in 20 years combined. If you didn't know better you would assume he was from Arkansas and played at Arkansas and to be quite honest going into the game I thought it would be Cal this and Cal that but to my surprise it was just the opposite.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 08:10:46 pm
He did more to promote our program and our state as a whole in one single game than our athletic dept has done in 20 years combined. If you didn't know better you would assume he was from Arkansas and played at Arkansas and to be quite honest going into the game I thought it would be Cal this and Cal that but to my surprise it was just the opposite.
^This

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 07:09:27 pm
That really could explain a lot. Let's just say I HOPE the reason he didn't play more is because of conditioning issues from the injury and malaria. But I still have my doubts. Because the kid honestly and truly showed flashes of being the most talented person on the roster. Unbelievable potential there with his shooting touch and footwork. And I sincerely hope they 100% cured his malaria.

there is no "cure" for malaria. it can recur

azhog10

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 06:50:38 am
Walton was the highlight of this hard game to watch for me. He managed to spit out gem after gem regarding the hogs and very specifically why they struggle when they struggle.

"They're very athletic but they don't have the skill"
"Don't confuse activity with achievement"
"None of these wild shots are going in.
"I love how Arkansas never gets back on defense" (talking about the press)
"The zone is completely befuddling the hogs"
"There's not one guy on the court you can look at and say he's going to make up 10 points in 2 minutes and 10 seconds"

and maybe my favorite diagnosis: "Portis and Kingsley: we're going to be saying these guys' names a lot the next 20 years."

Anyone have anything else? He had so many good observations I feel like I'm forgetting some.
"Mike Anderson is a great coach and has this team going in the right direction"
"That's the #1 rebound of the night"
"That's the #4 rebound of the night"
"This is the best game Cal has played all year"
"Arkansas has a bunch of atheletes"
"Mike Anderson has turned around every program he has been to"
"Kiko is my favorite player"
"Work the ball inside, stop with the 3pt shots"

azhog10

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 08:10:46 pm
I did notice that he must know a few people from Ark that are close to him. I think that had something to do with the semi love he was giving us. I honestly thought he did a pretty good job, outside of his rating the top rebounds of the night. That was kind of annoying. Like Knight guessing which free throw was going in.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigroots on March 25, 2014, 08:55:59 am

I personally think he hit the nail on the head when he said "lot of great athletes and not enough skill."That is why we have those long periods of inconsistency. When we can get us a couple of athletic guard who are also deadly shooters this thing will come together. Some players really took a step up this year (Clarke, Qualls, Madden,Bell) and some will next year i think(Portis, Kingsley) We are not that far off and if we can lock down some of the big time recruits we are on Bud Walton will soon sound like the days of old.

Sometimes a big difference between....."great athletes" &......really good basketball players.  We need more of the latter..... as Bill Walton noted.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 26, 2014, 06:28:23 pm
Sometimes a big difference between....."great athletes" &......really good basketball players.  We need more of the latter..... as Bill Walton noted.....

We do need some more at the guard position.

What is rare, though - and was typical of Nolan's best teams and I believe will be who MA will end up getting - are players who are BOTH.

Portis, Kingsley and Harris are those kinds of players.  Portis is just a freak of nature, and will only get better.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

bigredone

To finish the subject line:

was far superior to any of the drivel from Jimmy Dykes all season.

I have always liked Bill Walton. With him what you see is what you get. He went out and lived a real life and that is the reason he had so many stories and even knew some Arkansans. He did not seem to be developing catch phrases because he doesn't have to emulate someone else. Being exposed to most likely the greatest coach in all of college basketball history doesn't hurt him, either.

Big Nasty 34

My 2 favorite  non Hogs "stories" were

1. Talking about his good buddy Brent Mussberger. Then his partner said his famous "you're looking live at..."
And Bill had no idea what he was talking about haha

2. Talking about the secluded place in south Utah and how they just recently got electricity and non mule delivered mail. His partner asked how recent, "oh, the 1940s or 50s"
Pretty sure that still applies to some places in Arkansas haha

Hog1952

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 25, 2014, 03:14:27 pm
Bill is so dumb he will never make in the world outside of basketball. Poor dumba$$, not a chance in hell to succeed in life.
I bet he lives in a van down on the river.

elksnort

Walton is gold. I have a certain amount of respect for those of you who appreciate him. There are some very good posts on this thread.

code red

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 06:50:38 am
Walton was the highlight of this hard game to watch for me. He managed to spit out gem after gem regarding the hogs and very specifically why they struggle when they struggle.

"They're very athletic but they don't have the skill"
"Don't confuse activity with achievement"
"None of these wild shots are going in.
"I love how Arkansas never gets back on defense" (talking about the press)
"The zone is completely befuddling the hogs"
"There's not one guy on the court you can look at and say he's going to make up 10 points in 2 minutes and 10 seconds"

and maybe my favorite diagnosis: "Portis and Kingsley: we're going to be saying these guys' names a lot the next 20 years."

Anyone have anything else? He had so many good observations I feel like I'm forgetting some.

So this should be a note to Mike Anderson.  Either recruit like UK or change your style.  Because Walton is spot on. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: code red on March 29, 2014, 09:11:13 am
So this should be a note to Mike Anderson.  Either recruit like UK or change your style.  Because Walton is spot on. 

Do you think Portis and Kingsley fit our style?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Fatty McGee

Walton is knowledgeable like Knight, but without all the BS gruffness and "I'm the General" dickishness.  So refreshing
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!