Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Walton Diagnosing the Hogs

Started by Rbill, March 25, 2014, 06:50:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

Walton was the highlight of this hard game to watch for me. He managed to spit out gem after gem regarding the hogs and very specifically why they struggle when they struggle.

"They're very athletic but they don't have the skill"
"Don't confuse activity with achievement"
"None of these wild shots are going in.
"I love how Arkansas never gets back on defense" (talking about the press)
"The zone is completely befuddling the hogs"
"There's not one guy on the court you can look at and say he's going to make up 10 points in 2 minutes and 10 seconds"

and maybe my favorite diagnosis: "Portis and Kingsley: we're going to be saying these guys' names a lot the next 20 years."

Anyone have anything else? He had so many good observations I feel like I'm forgetting some.

GO

I can't remember how it went but he made some comment about the double bird that was flashed that was pretty funny.

Speedracer

Bill Walton is goofy but I actually like him. 
Like smites bother me.

popcornhog

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 06:50:38 am
Walton was the highlight of this hard game to watch for me. He managed to spit out gem after gem regarding the hogs and very specifically why they struggle when they struggle.

"There's not one guy on the court you can look at and say he's going to make up 10 points in 2 minutes and 10 seconds"

and maybe my favorite diagnosis: "Portis and Kingsley: we're going to be saying these guys' names a lot the next 20 years."

Anyone have anything else? He had so many good observations I feel like I'm forgetting some.

He actually said a number of positive things about where the team is headed as well.

Additionally, he stressed the lack of skill tonight -- but noted that the team had displayed a higher level of skill throughout the season and in practice earlier in the day.

A lack of consistency was the theme.
WPS

pigroots

I personally think he hit the nail on the head when he said "lot of great athletes and not enough skill."That is why we have those long periods of inconsistency. When we can get us a couple of athletic guard who are also deadly shooters this thing will come together. Some players really took a step up this year (Clarke, Qualls, Madden,Bell) and some will next year i think(Portis, Kingsley) We are not that far off and if we can lock down some of the big time recruits we are on Bud Walton will soon sound like the days of old.

b_stackhouse

How about, "What was his girlfriend's name again?"

Not exactly Hog analysis, but very funny.

Marshfieldhog

My favorite was when he said we needed to practice our shooting.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 25, 2014, 09:11:46 am
"Whoa...just missed."

Nipsey Mussle

I enjoyed, "The Bears aren't in hibernation, they're foraging and taking whatever they want."

HogFanatic

I liked how he kept referring to Mike Anderson as Nolan Richardson. Haha
Dude is pretty funny.

60 Minutes of Hell

My favorite part was when he said UCLA would win the big dance this year.  Pure.  Comedic.  Genius.

But yeah, Bill made that pill a lot easier to swallow.
What a fool I used to be.

TOM "tbw1"

Bill's analysis comes from working with two geniuses, John Wooden and Arnold Auerbach.   
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Rbill

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2014, 08:22:42 am
He actually said a number of positive things about where the team is headed as well.

Additionally, he stressed the lack of skill tonight -- but noted that the team had displayed a higher level of skill throughout the season and in practice earlier in the day.

You are right that he was very positive in the beginning. It almost felt like he was yearning for us to do well at times. Then he slipped into very astute observations of our problem areas without even thinking about it. I do believe he said they have athleticism but not enough skill in the first half. In the 2nd half he added the "no skill tonight" part. He may have realized how harsh he sounded. But he was closer to right the first time. Not enough skill.

hogman99

Those pretty much sum up what we have seen all year.

Hoggish1

No, you just about covered it.  Great post!

The one where he said we're going to see Portis and Kingsley's names a lot in the next 20 years is telling.  I would like to start those 20 years, next year, by seeing their names a lot together in each lineup.

Mike says, they are young as a reason for what? When I look at MK, I see the best footwork on our team. next to Portis (who needs to learn to use the glass).

Why those two were not on the floor together, more ofter, in the last 15 games of the season, is a big mystery that hasn't been answered...

Hoggish1

I know.  Such basic and simple observations.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 25, 2014, 12:25:32 pm
No, you just about covered it.  Great post!

The one where he said we're going to see Portis and Kingsley's names a lot in the next 20 years is telling.  I would like to start those 20 years, next year, by seeing their names a lot together in each lineup.

Mike says, they are young as a reason for what? When I look at MK, I see the best footwork on our team. next to Portis (who needs to learn to use the glass).

Why those two were not on the floor together, more ofter, in the last 15 games of the season, is a big mystery that hasn't been answered...
Kingsley has battled a nagging back injury and had malaria last summer.  Other than that, I have no idea why they weren't on the court together, other than coaching style.

Chic-Hog-Oh

He commented a couple times how Portis could have filled the lane better on secondary fast-break oppty's;

He said that the best basketball teams excel in two statistical areas: "Shooting % and rebounding %" (indicating that Arkansas was doing very poorly in both during this game);

Said that Nolan should be a "lock" as a Hall of Fame coach.

60 Minutes of Hell

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 25, 2014, 12:25:32 pm
When I look at MK, I see the best footwork on our team.

That may be the case next year, but let's not yet forget about Wade.  I'm really going to miss watching that guy play defense.
What a fool I used to be.

Westcoasthog

Bill Walton gave a great history of Arkansas Athletics - this was great PR for Arkansas.  He said Nolan Richardson should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame- I
agree.   

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2014, 08:22:42 am

He said he had 100% confidence in Mike Anderson and that he was getting this team where they needed to be.  You forgot that part Rbill...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 12:18:16 pm
You are right that he was very positive in the beginning. It almost felt like he was yearning for us to do well at times. Then he slipped into very astute observations of our problem areas without even thinking about it. I do believe he said they have athleticism but not enough skill in the first half. In the 2nd half he added the "no skill tonight" part. He may have realized how harsh he sounded. But he was closer to right the first time. Not enough skill.

His point about us not getting back on defense was a POSITIVE one.  He said that he loved how we just turned and began playing defense after scoring.

Your points were good, but they are slanted negatively and you left out several positives.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

WizardofhOgZ

March 25, 2014, 01:02:19 pm #22 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:46:42 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Shortly after we made the trip to Hawaii in November, I posted that we were improving but not quite there yet (http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=555511.0), and that the primary reason was that we were one "alpha guard" away from breaking through to the next level.  Walton's statement about "who on their team do they have that they can count on to take control and get them the key basket in crunch time?" underscores that sentiment.

Just think what this team could be with any one of the following players added to it (in no particular order): Sidney Moncrief, Boot, Boot Jr., Scotty Thurman, Alvin Robinson, Lee Mayberry, Joe Johnson, Corey Beck (more of a floor general than scorer, but a capable shot), Todd Day, etc.  We just need ONE such guy that can be "the straw that stirs the drink".

Right now, as Walton pointed out, we have a passel of impressive athletes that are all "pretty good" players.  All are capable of posting double figures on a given night, but all are also subject to "no show" games.  Our strength is in numbers - most often, enough "show up" to carry us through.  But championships are almost always won by "difference makers".  You need to have a few of those mixed in with the role players, or you will always be "pretty good" and never the top dog.

In basketball, it's enough to have one (although 2 or 3 is better) IF you have good depth, as we normally do.  Football requires a couple on each side of the ball.  They don't have to necessarily be McFadden level - but they should be guys who can make plays and would start for any other team in the conference and be one of their better players.

Btw, Rbill LOVE that avatar, one of the GREATEST cartoons of all time...

phadedhawg

My favorite!  I can see myself using that from now on.

secfan30

Quote from: b_stackhouse on March 25, 2014, 09:00:26 am
How about, "What was his girlfriend's name again?"

Not exactly Hog analysis, but very funny.

That was said right after the Cal player got kicked in the balls. The other announcer seemed worried when he said "Ashley". Truth be told i was worried too. I had no idea where Walton was going with that.

Rbill

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 12:55:00 pm
His point about us not getting back on defense was a POSITIVE one.  He said that he loved how we just turned and began playing defense after scoring.

Your points were good, but they are slanted negatively and you left out several positives.

You are absolutely right, it was obvious that he meant it as a compliment. I mentioned it merely because I thought it sounded very funny the way he said it.

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 12:52:58 pm
He said he had 100% confidence in Mike Anderson and that he was getting this team where they needed to be.  You forgot that part Rbill...

I do too. I love Mike. I just find it cathartic to point out the areas we need to improve.

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 01:11:00 pm
Btw, Rbill LOVE that avatar, one of the GREATEST cartoons of all time...

thanks, be true to yourself little owl.

Walton didn't remember that he had worked with that guy the week before LMAO

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 01:17:50 pm
You are absolutely right, it was obvious that he meant it as a compliment. I mentioned it merely because I thought it sounded very funny the way he said it.

I do too. I love Mike. I just find it cathartic to point out the areas we need to improve.

thanks, be true to yourself little owl.

Gotcha.  Good stuff all around!

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 25, 2014, 09:12:56 am
"Whoa...just missed."

So sarcastic - that was after Qualls' shot that hit only the bottom of the backboard

Rbill

Haha it's so true. Even as a real hog fan feeling pretty bummed out, it was like this deadpanned dark humor from Walton that actually made it bearable to watch.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rbill on March 25, 2014, 01:24:44 pm
Haha it's so true. Even as a real hog fan feeling pretty bummed out, it was like this deadpanned dark humor from Walton that actually made it bearable to watch.
Hey, just think if we had won!   :razorback:

Does anybody remember who he was talking about in this quote from 1984?

"Who was that guy that fell out of the rafters?"  (May not be exactly what he said, but it's close.)

Marshfieldhog

I need more Bill Walton next year like I need more cowbell. Dude cracked me up

PonderinHog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 25, 2014, 02:23:49 pm
We owe him a victory.

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 25, 2014, 02:23:49 pm

He's a crazy nut that doesn't take himself to seriously. I've always liked him.

walton was the only reason i kept watching .......well that and i just can't help rubber necking car wrecks

johnsonswitch

I watched Bill Walton do a TON of Clippers
and Lakers games when I lived in LA.

The man has done a LOT of LSD.
Always entertaining.

Quote from: johnsonswitch on March 25, 2014, 02:51:53 pm
I watched Bill Walton do a TON of Clippers
and Lakers games when I lived in LA.

The man has done a LOT of LSD.
Always entertaining.

He has to be on something, even if it's prescription opiates.  Otherwise he'd just sound dumb from the prior use of LSD and who knows what else.

johnsonswitch

I wouldn't say prior use of LSD makes you sound dumb.
But a lifetime of following The Grateful Dead and LSD use
will sure make you sound different from all the other guys
in the room with suits on. That's for sure.

mhuff

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 25, 2014, 12:31:11 pm
Kingsley has battled a nagging back injury and had malaria last summer.  Other than that, I have no idea why they weren't on the court together, other than coaching style.

I said all along that Nolan would not play them together because he would not want to show how he had been missing the boat. Walton was kind last night, He didn't say that it looked like we had no game plan or the defense was horrible. If you think we were well coached , you are mistaken. I like Mike , but this was embarrassing. How do you beat KY on their home court and then play like Ned out of the third grade reader the rest of the time. Our passing stunk.... Too many people not playing as a team. I felt sorry for Kingsley and Portis.... The two highest percentage shooters on our team not in there together...... very poor.

Did we show improvement or just had more wins? I thank the warriors who are graduating. Thank you for your contribution.... Clark was always money.... Kikko played with heart as well as Gulley when we were shooting 0 for a 100.

rusvegashog

Quote from: GO on March 25, 2014, 06:53:36 am
I can't remember how it went but he made some comment about the double bird that was flashed that was pretty funny.
The double bird was hilarious. I didn't hear him comment on it though. They quickly panned away from that kid when they realized what was going on. Too funny! Walton was spot on all night.

TeedupHigh

Great athletes can be beat by skilled players most every time.  running, jumping and good speed is worthless without skill's and fundamentals.  But athlete's are more fun to watch, that's how you get the fastest 40 of what we have................

TeedupHigh

Quote from: johnsonswitch on March 25, 2014, 03:00:09 pm

Bill is so dumb he will never make in the world outside of basketball. Poor dumba$$, not a chance in hell to succeed in life.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 02:55:22 pm
He has to be on something, even if it's prescription opiates.  Otherwise he'd just sound dumb from the prior use of LSD and who knows what else.

Whatever he's taking, it's working for him.  Funniest stuff I've heard in a long time. (asked Wooden if he could go to Berkeley in the Spring semesters...nope!)

He's just a West Coast guy...

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 25, 2014, 03:19:05 pm
Whatever he's taking, it's working for him.  Funniest stuff I've heard in a long time. (asked Wooden if he could go to Berkeley in the Spring semesters...nope!)

He's just a West Coast guy...

He was very entertaining last night.  I was surprised he knew as much about the Hogs as he did.

Hoggish1

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 25, 2014, 03:14:27 pm
Bill is so dumb he will never make in the world outside of basketball. Poor dumba$$, not a chance in hell to succeed in life.

LMAO +1  Just love how he fails to succeed, but tricks us every time into believing that sheet...

mhuff

I enjoyed Walton. I also think Dykes is good, but he spends too much time not describing the action..... Like who made the shot..... Needs to focus more on the happenings of the game.

downsouthhawg72

There was 1 guy running back on the press last night & that was Kingsley. It's his job to protect the paint & the rim, that's what he was doing almost everytime while he was playing. Nobody else made it past half court on the press. You always have to have 1 man back on every press & most of the time that's your big man.
DownSouthHawg

johnsonswitch

Quote from: johnsonswitch on March 25, 2014, 03:00:09 pm

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 25, 2014, 03:14:27 pm

That was a compliment to Bill Walton.
Somebody has to sound different than all the other suits.

By no means do I think he's dumb.
In fact I think he's intelligent and enlightened.

Rbill

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 25, 2014, 12:31:11 pm
Kingsley has battled a nagging back injury and had malaria last summer.

That really could explain a lot. Let's just say I HOPE the reason he didn't play more is because of conditioning issues from the injury and malaria. But I still have my doubts. Because the kid honestly and truly showed flashes of being the most talented person on the roster. Unbelievable potential there with his shooting touch and footwork. And I sincerely hope they 100% cured his malaria.