Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season ended tonight at 22 and 12 here is what i saw

Started by forrest city joe, March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 09:22:20 pm
The same amount any freshman or JUCO transfers have. You have to start somewhere and starting with guys willing to shoot and can actually shoot is better than the three guards they replace. So it really is addition by subtraction then addition again.

I agree you have to start somewhere, but what do you realistically expect those guys to contribute as freshman when they have never played in the system and have never played against competition that is every bit equal to or better than theirs?  For every Bobby Portis that can step on the court and contribute immediately, there are lots of guys who take a pretty good amount of time to adjust to the game.  Not trying to argue, just wondering what you realistically expect.  Also have to factor in that MA typically doesn't play the heck out of freshman, with Portis of course being the exception to that rule. What will Mike do if the freshman can't live up to expectations?  Will he shorten his rotation a little bit and alter the style some to get the most out of the guys that are comfortable/familiar with the system or will he keep running them in and hope for the best?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on March 25, 2014, 09:51:28 pm
You're easily one of the worst posters on this board.
And you are one of the haters who wants Mike to fail so he can get fired. get use to it hater.MIKE ANDERSON IS NOT GETTING FIRED! you can go kick rocks now. you are one of the worst kind of Anderson haters.

Danny J

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 25, 2014, 09:32:37 pm
I agree you have to start somewhere, but what do you realistically expect those guys to contribute as freshman when they have never played in the system and have never played against competition that is every bit equal to or better than theirs?  For every Bobby Portis that can step on the court and contribute immediately, there are lots of guys who take a pretty good amount of time to adjust to the game.  Not trying to argue, just wondering what you realistically expect.  Also have to factor in that MA typically doesn't play the heck out of freshman, with Portis of course being the exception to that rule. What will Mike do if the freshman can't live up to expectations?  Will he shorten his rotation a little bit and alter the style some to get the most out of the guys that are comfortable/familiar with the system or will he keep running them in and hope for the best?
It really is hard to say until they get on campus and begin to learn. Some players learn faster than others. Out of the entire roster we currently have only one person really understood things from day one and that was Portis. It has taken all the other guys at least one and sometimes two years to show improvement. You also have to remember that they didn't have anybody to learn from as these new players coming in will be afforded. So the three guards will have Madden, Bell, etc...to learn from and the same goes for Thompson although I seriously don't see him getting a ton of minutes as a freshman.

So I expect to see some improvement at the guard position next year although as I have said all year that it will be mid January to sometime first part of February before we start seeing the results. However the year after that we should see almost immediate results as we lose only Madden and Harris.

I saw this time after time during Nolans tenure here. At first it was as it is now but over time we just continued to reload until his last few years here.

I also agree with the statement MA does not generally start freshman and agree with you on Portis as that was a must to start him immediately. I did mention last night we saw the starting five for at least the first half the season last night and it was:

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

Tejas_Pete

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 10:06:56 pm
And you are one of the haters who wants Mike to fail so he can get fired. get use to it hater.MIKE ANDERSON IS NOT GETTING FIRED! you can go kick rocks now. you are one of the worst kind of Anderson haters.

Look through my post history I actually am a big supporter of Mike. I just wish you would take a step back every once and a while and comment intelligently instead of just spewing foolishness in blind support of Mike. When we lose, you say it's the players fault. When we win it's all Mike. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

We are definitely an improving team but to say that the three incoming freshmen we have are going to contribute significantly more than the seniors we're losing is far fetched.

secfan30

Quote from: moses_007 on March 25, 2014, 12:55:09 am
This was supposed to be the year for us.  It wound up just like the last 18 years...

I can tell you this... Mike Anderson sure aint no Nolan Richardson.  That is becoming more evident every game.

Not many coaches are Coach Richardson. On the flip side thank goodness he is not Heath or Pel.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on March 25, 2014, 10:15:55 pm
Look through my post history I actually am a big supporter of Mike. I just wish you would take a step back every once and a while and comment intelligently instead of just spewing foolishness in blind support of Mike. When we lose, you say it's the players fault. When we win it's all Mike. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

We are definitely an improving team but to say that the three incoming freshmen we have are going to contribute significantly more than the seniors we're losing is far fetched.
Pure BS. i love Kiko and Fred. they gave us all they had while they were here. and they will always be Razorbacks. (they both were walk-ons) and we lose about 6 points a game.A. beard is a better player and athlete.love Ricky scott. but is he really a big loss because he's a senior?he played very little this year. we lose Clark. but we have Harris and Miles to take that spot. and Wade was a decent player and i love him too. but we can do a lot better than Wade. and we are not depending on freshmen to come in and save this team. we have a vet roster coming back.this could very well be the starting line-up for next year.
PF.Bobby Portis
C.Mosses Kingsley
SF.Mike Qualls
2GKyle Madden
PG A. Beard
                             BENCH
-----------------------------------------------------
A. Harris
A. Bell
K. Miles
D. Williams
Nick Babb
That is a vet roster that is not depending on true freshmen to come in and save the program. in fact, most of our main bigtime players are back.(Portis, Madden and Qualls) so get your facts right before you post your garbage.

Trey Tompson

Temprees

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on March 25, 2014, 10:15:55 pm

Beard will contribute more than any of this years graduating Senior guards.

HouseOfHam

Quote from: Temprees on March 25, 2014, 11:11:50 pm
Beard will contribute more than any of this years graduating Senior guards.
Yep I have watched him All year, he is the real deal.

-Blu

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 25, 2014, 09:32:37 pm
What will Mike do if the freshman can't live up to expectations?  Will he shorten his rotation a little bit and alter the style some to get the most out of the guys that are comfortable/familiar with the system or will he keep running them in and hope for the best?

I expect our rotation to be the following next year

Madden/Durham/Wagner
Bell/Beard/Babb/Watkins
Qualls/Miles
Harris/Williams
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

10 of those guys are returning players that have all got experience in Mike Anderson's system and 6 of those guys were major contributors this year, with 5 of them being in our top 6 in scoring. So us depending on freshman is non-existent.  All we need for them to do is come in and play their role, don't need any of them to be heros, we got Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Bell for that.  And let's say worse case scenario and all the freshmen except Beard are just horrible, that's still a solid 9 man rotation, considering Kingsley, Williams, and Miles all will be coming off of the bench and have all played in this system at least a year now.  So worse case scenario we have a 9 man rotation, which shouldn't change much.

But, the more important thing here is, why you always coming on here trying to find flaws and point out the problems with our team?  Shouldn't you be worried about that disaster y'all have going on in Mizzou has gotten progressively worse each year since Mike has left, while we have gotten progressively better each year.  Sounds like y'all a little bitter, and want to get on the "Mike Anderson roller coaster" as you like to call it, that Frank Haith Nose Dive must be getting old.

three hog night

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 01:35:45 am

Madden/Durham/Wagner
Bell/Beard/Babb/Watkins
Qualls/Miles
Harris/Williams
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

10 of those guys are returning players that have all got experience in Mike Anderson's system and 6 of those guys were major contributors this year, with 5 of them being in our top 6 in scoring. So us depending on freshman is non-existent.  All we need for them to do is come in and play their role, don't need any of them to be heros, we got Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Bell for that.  And let's say worse case scenario and all the freshmen except Beard are just horrible, that's still a solid 9 man rotation, considering Kingsley, Williams, and Miles all will be coming off of the bench and have all played in this system at least a year now.  So worse case scenario we have a 9 man rotation, which shouldn't change much.

But, the more important thing here is, why you always coming on here trying to find flaws and point out the problems with our team?  Shouldn't you be worried about that disaster y'all have going on in Mizzou has gotten progressively worse each year since Mike has left, while we have gotten progressively better each year.  Sounds like y'all a little bitter, and want to get on the "Mike Anderson roller coaster" as you like to call it, that Frank Haith Nose Dive must be getting old.

That is a real solid mix of players when you look at it in black and white.   I hope Wagner surprises us with a break out season.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: -Blu on March 26, 2014, 01:35:45 am

Madden/Durham/Wagner
Bell/Beard/Babb/Watkins
Qualls/Miles
Harris/Williams
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

Great summary.

And the returning guys have shown they have a strong work ethic and I believe will work hard in the off-season.  Madden is probably the one who needs to work the most, and I hope/expect that he will.  I hope that not making the Tourney and the way they went out in the NIT lit a bit of a fire under his butt and he finally decides to take some responsibility.  He has all the talent in the world, but just needs to work harder.  I'm not worried the least bit about the rest, they will put in the work and get better.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Smithian

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:50:30 am
73 year old former head coach comes out of long retirement and immediately gets commitment from Parade and McDonald's All-American Keith Frazier, runs off 3 of the 5 starters from year before to start from scratch, and goes 15-17 in first season. Second season, finishes 3rd in AAC behind Cinn and Louisville and is into quarters of the NIT after being snubbed by NCAAT, and is currently 25-9. Also, same 73 yr old head coach signs top PG in the country for next season, Emmanuel Mudiay. SMU went 9-1 in renovated Moody Coliseum with the only loss to Louisville, the defending national champs. Every game was sold out and every game had any or all of President and Mrs. Bush, Mark Cuban, Jason Garrett, Deion Sanders (his son plays football for SMU) Troy Aikman, Jerry Jones, and multiple NBA stars in attendance. In other words, a lot of energy around the program.

Meanwhile, back in the Ozarks, we get to watch a team that looks like it is running plays I used to set up for my Boys' Club team during high school and playing defense worse than we played then, in our new head coach's 3rd season. Missed the NCAAT for 5th or 6th year in a row primarily due to losing their last two games vs the two worst teams in the SEC, one on a neutral court. Then to top it all off, this team goes down miserably to an undermanned team they had played earlier this season.

Carry on. There is always next year, right?

That's depressing.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Smithian on March 28, 2014, 08:35:11 am
That's depressing.
Furthermore, SMU beats the team that just put the Hogs out of the NIT, albeit on a last second shot to win by 2, to move on to the NIT FF. California shot 51% from the field vs SMU but SMU's inside play (which the Hogs do not have) was too much for California...it drew a lot of fouls from CA. Both teams made 7 3's but SMU scored 13 pts from the charity stripe to CA's 7 and heavily out-rebounded CA.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

AWHAWG

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 25, 2014, 08:30:48 am
Larry Brown has sure done a nice job in TWO years at a very nontraditional basketball school.

I know we beat them, but we did it at home without one of their best players. The key thing to remember is SMU deserved to be in the NCAA tourney and they are still in the NIT. We on the other hand are at home waiting for the next group of players to come in and show everyone that MA can coach. Starting to sound like the SEC's version of the Chicago Cubs. 

Question is: When IS IT the coaches fault when we play the way we do? Isn't it the coaches fault when we don't exploit a team's weakness? Isn't it a coaches fault when we are not playing with emotion and are not "up" for the game? Isn't it a coaches fault when we are not prepared with a game plan? The game was all on MA. That was the most uninspired, unprepared, lackadaisical showing I have seen in these three years in the first half. An embarrassment to what we deserve. Do I feel bad for blaming MA? No because with big paychecks ($2.2m) comes big responsibilities for showing results, not big excuses. 

Anxious to see the response from FCJ and the rest of the MA supporters this football season.
So you want a new coach now?

The_Iceman

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 28, 2014, 10:07:15 am
I don't think it is much of a stretch (or a shot at MA) to say that Larry Brown is a better basketball coach than Mike Anderson.

Larry Brown is one of the best basketball coaches of all time, especially in terms of a teacher of the game.