Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season ended tonight at 22 and 12 here is what i saw

Started by forrest city joe, March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

Quote from: lc480 on March 25, 2014, 11:41:56 am
What makes no sense is to press all over the court and then let them get by the defender and shoot a layup, just a wasted effort. The problem with our press is that if the other team has good guards its not effective.

Agree, we may get 4-5 turnovers from the press resulting in maybe 6-10 points.  However, we give up 20-25 points on easy layups or FT because we foul.  The press is fine as long as it is under control, ours usually is not under control and that lies with coaching.

hawgtime

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:04:37 am
The rollercoaster has stopped for this season.  Going forward though, recruiting has to get better than it is right now.  For a coach that has never been known as a great recruiter and who won't change his staff, it is a leap of faith to believe that it will get consistently better.  Beating the JC bushes hoping for help heading into season 4 doesn't do much to help that faith.  The program doesn't seem to be as solid as some claim.  It really needs a program changing recruit in 2015. 

same song on recruiting.  Now let's do something about it.

Go Hogs!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am
This game had nothing to do with coaching.

More than the game, Joe.

Mike Anderson's hiring had little to do with Mike Anderson's coaching ability.

When the moment is right and Long moves him out it probably won't be driven by Anderson's coaching ability.

Why should we expect anything that happens between those two events be connected in any way with his coaching?

I've seen a lot of coaches come and go on The Hill in the last six decades:  Hall of Famers and flat-out failures.  In that time I don't think I've seen another who has less of an impact...any lasting impact good or bad...on his team than does Mike Anderson.

TheRazorbackGuy

This game had nothing to do with coaching. this game had everything to do with not having enough good basketball players. when you score 6 points in the first 14 M of the half when you are getting wide open shots, that's on the players. Mike Anderson can't go out there and make shots for these guys. Bell as he has done all year, was missing the same open shots he was hitting against Ole Miss and ID-state.nobody but Portis could come close to making a shot.Problem 2. not being able to get stops on defense. even when you shoot bad, your defense has to be good enough to keep you in games. this team is not good on defense. hope to see improved defense next year with the players that are willing to work. Cal shot 55% from the field. that's not going to cut it.. problem 3. and this is the real deal folks. Mike Anderson has simply got to get better players than what he has.we have to hope that Beard,Babb Durham, Myles and Trey can help. i believe they all can. got to get guys who can put the ball in the hole, and are willing to play defense. it's on Mike Anderson to get those kind of players. and i think he will. Kingsley and Portis are the foundation for next year. both need to live in the weight Room. the off season program is going to be big. GO HOGS.

I disagree, while I did see fight in the players late it still was no offendive set plays so much dribble, dribble, dribble, shake, bake and miss

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 25, 2014, 01:12:03 pm
I disagree, while I did see fight in the players late it still was no offendive set plays so much dribble, dribble, dribble, shake, bake and miss

Stop it. Joe said this had nothing to do with coaching.

I'm sick and tired of everbody arguing with that in this.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 25, 2014, 01:28:30 pm
Stop it. Joe said this had nothing to do with coaching.

Isn't that part of what Jump Ball is... smite for you OTR

Mick Hogger

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on March 25, 2014, 12:21:27 pm
More than the game, Joe.

Mike Anderson's hiring had little to do with Mike Anderson's coaching ability.

When the moment is right and Long moves him out it probably won't be driven by Anderson's coaching ability.

Why should we expect anything that happens between those two events be connected in any way with his coaching?

I've seen a lot of coaches come and go on The Hill in the last six decades:  Hall of Famers and flat-out failures.  In that time I don't think I've seen another who has less of an impact...any lasting impact good or bad...on his team than does Mike Anderson.

This is ridiculous. Crowe? Pelphrey?   And how can you say less of an impact, good or bad? Way to be just so vague that you don't even make a point.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

JayBell

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 25, 2014, 01:28:30 pmStop it. Joe said this had nothing to do with coaching.

...but he says the same thing after every loss.  Every win is because of Anderson and every loss is because of the players.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2014, 12:44:51 am
We look better than we did a year ago though and that's the bottom line in my book.

Boom.

Our recruiting is steadily getting better, and we have some good in-State talent.

Portis is the kind of talent to build a team around.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 02:35:15 pm
...but he says the same thing after every loss.  Every win is because of Anderson and every loss is because of the players.

Jay I will say that the one area I do believe last night's debacle could be attributed to coaching is that they didn't seem prepared.  They looked sluggish and could have been better prepared to attack that zone.

Even that falls in part on the players though.  You have to be ready, no matter how long the trip is or how late the game is.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 02:41:47 pmJay I will say that the one area I do believe last night's debacle could be attributed to coaching is that they didn't seem prepared.  They looked sluggish and could have been better prepared to attack that zone.

Even that falls in part on the players though.  You have to be ready, no matter how long the trip is or how late the game is.

How long does that stay acceptable?  That lack of preparation, whatever the causes may be, directly led to Anderson starting off 3-27 (right?) on the road.  The team looked a lot better on the road during that 8 of 9 stretch.

Then the Hogs laid an egg at Alabama, lost to a bad South Carolina team on a neutral court with the season on the line and got embarrassed on ESPN against an NIT team without one of their best players.  Great road victories at Kentucky, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt do not negate all of the other times where they go out in a road game and look like a bunch of retards trying to hump a door knob.

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 02:51:15 pm
How long does that stay acceptable?  That lack of preparation, whatever the causes may be, directly led to Anderson starting off 3-27 (right?) on the road.  The team looked a lot better on the road during that 8 of 9 stretch.

Then the Hogs laid an egg at Alabama, lost to a bad South Carolina team on a neutral court with the season on the line and got embarrassed on ESPN against an NIT team without one of their best players.  Great road victories at Kentucky, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt do not negate all of the other times where they go out in a road game and look like a bunch of retards trying to hump a door knob.

With so many underclassmen, and with Mike installing a completely new system to the current program, he needs this time.

I understand your frustration.  We have to make the tourney this next season.  Anything less and no doubt he deserves to be on the hot seat.

rusvegashog

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the OTRT comment was a joke ( it's sarcasm). I laughed when I read it. I could be wrong?

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 25, 2014, 02:23:54 pm
This is ridiculous. Crowe? Pelphrey?   And how can you say less of an impact, good or bad? Way to be just so vague that you don't even make a point.

I was just trying to be like Mike.   ;)

Brandon72

mhuff

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 12:45:12 am
I won't completely absolve CMA of blame, FCJ. I think that is non-sensical. It was plain as day that the ball needed to go inside to BP and MK, but it didn't until the 2nd half. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think MK and BP were even on the court simultaneously. When Cal literally only has one post player and we have two good ones, take it at them. Expose their weakness.

Soloman was out. We could have put in two bigs and done better.... go figure.... When you can explain a rhyme or reason, someone please enlighten me. It seemed like our goal was to see how many poor shots we could take.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 10:44:38 am
You can't compare Larry Brown's situation to Mike Andersons.

1.  Larry Brown was able to clean house, when he first got there.  It was actually a pretty big deal and sportscenter reported on it, how he basically sent the majority of the team packing soon as he got there.  One kid even did an interview and said Brown basically told him he was gone because he wasn't good enough to play for him.  Mike came into a program with APR programs and down a scholarship, and had a recruiting class that didn't fit his system and if he didn't keep together the fan base would have went rabid on it.

2. SMU is in Dallas.  The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area probably produces more D1 athletes in 1 year than the entire state of Arkansas produces in 5 years combined.  Being a hall of fame coach in a basketball city, you don't have to be a great recruiter to get some guys there.  If you put Mike Anderson and this basketball team in Dallas right now, I guarantee you we would have more high profile recruits.

Dallas a BASKETBALL city????

It's completely unacceptable that we get out recruited by SMU. Heck Miami, LSU, and Creighton got higher rated out of Texas than we did. UNTIL Mike gets some decent assistants on this staff that trend will continue to happen and we'll have to recruit athletes and turn them into basketball players instead of getting athletic basketball players.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Toad Suck Pork on March 25, 2014, 07:41:12 am
The improvement was there this year.  This team did exactly what I thought it would do, which was win 20 games and make the NIT.  I saw enough improvement to push my expectation up to an NCAA appearance next year rather than year 5.

You have it right. won 22 games, and made the post season. the program is getting better and better under MIke Anderson leadership. and he is not going anywherer no matter how much some of you cry.

JayBell

Quote from: rusvegashog on March 25, 2014, 03:00:18 pmI could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the OTRT comment was a joke ( it's sarcasm). I laughed when I read it. I could be wrong?

I thought it was.  That's why my comment was kind of tongue in cheek.  I may have failed getting that across though.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on March 25, 2014, 02:54:08 pmWith so many underclassmen, and with Mike installing a completely new system to the current program, he needs this time.

I understand your frustration.  We have to make the tourney this next season.  Anything less and no doubt he deserves to be on the hot seat.

Definitely.  I think for anyone who needed some proof of all of that potential people were claiming was there, myself included, that 8 of 9 stretch alleviated some concerns, but not all of them.  That's why someone started a post a few days ago pointing out that virtually no one is calling for Anderson to be fired, regardless of how many posters are claiming that there is some contingent against him.

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 03:32:17 pm
Dallas a BASKETBALL city????

It's completely unacceptable that we get out recruited by SMU. Heck Miami, LSU, and Creighton got higher rated out of Texas than we did. UNTIL Mike gets some decent assistants on this staff that trend will continue to happen and we'll have to recruit athletes and turn them into basketball players instead of getting athletic basketball players.

Stop it just stop it. stop your crying about coach Anderson. the program is in great hands with him as coach. so stop your crying.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 03:55:50 pm
Stop it just stop it. stop your crying about coach Anderson. the program is in great hands with him as coach. so stop your crying.

I refuse. I'll be happy if he shakes up the staff this off season though, unless he hires another family member or family friend.

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 04:06:58 pm
I refuse. I'll be happy if he shakes up the staff this off season though, unless he hires another family member or family friend.
Not going to happen. Mike is not going to fire TJ(his nephew)  he will get it done or fail with his guys. so you can forget that.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 04:09:46 pm
Not going to happen. Mike is not going to fire TJ(his nephew)  he will get it done or fail with his guys. so you can forget that.

He can forget getting top 100 recruits outside the state then. He may not fire him but could help him get a different job preferable outside of Fayetteville. Zimmerman too.

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 04:10:57 pm
He can forget getting top 100 recruits outside the state then.
Maybe so. but he will do it his way. and i think he will get it done. if he fails, he can say he did it his way, and it just did not work out. i can live with that. and i am sure Mike can too.

rusvegashog

March 25, 2014, 04:19:55 pm #125 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:55:11 pm by rusvegashog
Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 03:43:30 pm
I thought it was.  That's why my comment was kind of tongue in cheek.  I may have failed getting that across though.
Word. I guess around here you just never know.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 04:15:27 pm
Maybe so. but he will do it his way. and i think he will get it done. if he fails, he can say he did it his way, and it just did not work out. i can live with that. and i am sure Mike can too.

So I guess adapting and adjusting just isn't in his vocabulary?

forrest city joe

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 04:25:38 pm
So I guess adapting and adjusting just isn't in his vocabulary?
If adapting and adjusting means firing his nephew. NO.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 04:39:09 pm
If adapting and adjusting means firing his nephew. NO.

So Mike would rather his career go into the crapper than to find his nephew a new job?

Pigsear

The difference in Nolan & Mike, Nolan always had a few players that could shoot the ball. I've heard Nolan say more times than one that good shooting covers up a lot of mistakes, or in other words good shooting covers up very little coaching.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Pigsear on March 25, 2014, 04:57:58 pm
The difference in Nolan & Mike, Nolan always had a few players that could shoot the ball. I've heard Nolan say more times than one that good shooting covers up a lot of mistakes, or in other words good shooting covers up very little coaching.

Difference is Nolan had good recruiters on staff to get those good shooters.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Look, Joe said this one wasn't on Mike, it was on the players.  I'm gonna respect that, unlike some of the rest of you who want to argue around about everthing. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Now when we win, that's a different story.  Mike gets the players ready and we go out and kick butts. That's all on Mike.

Some of you just don't get it.  I do not understand the dumbness in here.  I'm sick of it.

Let's wrap this one up like a pig in the blanket and put it in the oven.  This argument is over.

catfish07

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 04:15:27 pm

How many successful people fail to adapt and change? The road of failure is paved with folks who "did it their way" and lived with it.

I'd rather grow and change resulting in success than remain stagnant fail to reach my goals.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Dirty

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 25, 2014, 12:48:45 am
BEEP BEEP, here comes the bus.

Mike Anderson can draw up plays and tweak the offense when the threes are not falling Joe. THAT is called coaching.

Your basketball IQ is brutally low, and your attempt to defend Mike after this train wreck is comical. I will not be replying in this thread again.

You're full of it!

Just see if you respond!

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: Overtheroadtruckdriver on March 25, 2014, 05:06:27 pm
Look, Joe said this one wasn't on Mike, it was on the players.  I'm gonna respect that, unlike some of the rest of you who want to argue around about everthing. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Now when we win, that's a different story.  Mike gets the players ready and we go out and kick butts. That's all on Mike.

Some of you just don't get it.  I do not understand the dumbness in here.  I'm sick of it.

Let's wrap this one up like a pig in the blanket and put it in the oven.  This argument is over.

CAN EE GET AN AMEN RIGHT HERE?!?!  SHO NUFF!!!

forrest city joe

Mike Anderson will do it his way. and if matters not who likes it. he is the head coach, and he will do what he thinks is best. and crying for him to fire his nephew won't change anything. he is not going to fire TJ. now if TJ leaves on his own for another job. then so be it. Mike will get it done or fail with his guys.

Paul

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 12:57:16 am
they had wide open shots against that zone. and they also missed layups.and everybody but Portis was missing shots. that is not on the coach.  now it is on the coach to get better players that can make shots and are willing to play defense. and it's a slow process, but i think Mike is doing that now.Portis and Kingsley have got to be starting together for this team next year. the entire off season program when it comes to those two young men has got to be the weight Room, and getting both in the post and working on their post moves. both have the talent to be 2 of the best big man combos in the country.Beard is going to help this team a lot next year.a shooting PG who can make plays and make others better.
it's also on the coach to teach the kids how & when to shoot, how to defend without fouling, how to block out, how to attack a zone, how to play zone defense.  I don't see Mike doing that.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 05:33:38 pm
Mike Anderson will do it his way. and if matters not who likes it. he is the head coach, and he will do what he thinks is best. and crying for him to fire his nephew won't change anything. he is not going to fire TJ. now if TJ leaves on his own for another job. then so be it. Mike will get it done or fail with his guys.

What's your thoughts on Zimmerman?

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 03:55:50 pm
Will you please do the same about Long and we can call a truce?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Karma on March 25, 2014, 06:38:55 pm
Will you please do the same about Long and we can call a truce?

Stop it. That is comparing apples and orange slices. 

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Paul on March 25, 2014, 06:01:43 pm
  it's also on the coach to teach the kids how & when to shoot, how to defend without fouling, how to block out, how to attack a zone, how to play zone defense.  I don't see Mike doing that.

You can teach and coach all you want but the coach can't play for them.  I think Mike is doing a good job with what he had to work with.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Rzbakfromwaybak

This game had nothing to do with coaching. this game had everything to do with not having enough good basketball players. when you score 6 points in the first 14 M of the half when you are getting wide open shots, that's on the players. Mike Anderson can't go out there and make shots for these guys. Bell as he has done all year, was missing the same open shots he was hitting against Ole Miss and ID-state.nobody but Portis could come close to making a shot.Problem 2. not being able to get stops on defense. even when you shoot bad, your defense has to be good enough to keep you in games. this team is not good on defense. hope to see improved defense next year with the players that are willing to work. Cal shot 55% from the field. that's not going to cut it.. problem 3. and this is the real deal folks. Mike Anderson has simply got to get better players than what he has.we have to hope that Beard,Babb Durham, Myles and Trey can help. i believe they all can. got to get guys who can put the ball in the hole, and are willing to play defense. it's on Mike Anderson to get those kind of players. and i think he will. Kingsley and Portis are the foundation for next year. both need to live in the weight Room. the off season program is going to be big. GO HOGS.

Joe,
Much of your post contradicts your opening sentence.  This has everything to do with coaching. Coach Anderson is not in his first or second year.   What the players do, or don't do on the court....is on the coach.  Not being able to get stops on defense...needing players that are willing to work on defense...better shooters... off season weight program...needing better players altogether ...(all as you mentioned)... fall on the coaches responsibility.  I certainly hope to see improvement next year, getting the recruits we really need, & getting to the NCAA tourney. I hope coach MA will get it done.  One thing should be clear.  Coach Anderson is ultimately responsible for the teams performance, whether good or bad.   :razorback:
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Everbody's getting so scientific trying to break down Joe's original statement, which seems pretty straightforward and clear to me.

Makes me tired....and sick. 

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 25, 2014, 07:12:50 pm
Joe,
Much of your post contradicts your opening sentence.  This has everything to do with coaching. Coach Anderson is not in his first or second year.   What the players do, or don't do on the court....is on the coach.  Not being able to get stops on defense...needing players that are willing to work on defense...better shooters... off season weight program...needing better players altogether ...(all as you mentioned)... falls on the coaches responsibility.  I certainly hope to see improvement next year, getting the recruits we really need, & getting to the NCAA tourney. I hope coach MA will get it done.  One thing should be clear.  Coach Anderson is ultimately responsible for the teams performance, whether good or bad.   :razorback:

That not what Joe is talking about.  He's talking about the capabilities of the players CMA currently has on his roster.  They are in consistent.  Plain and simple.  When a particular player has a good night, CMA is doing a good job but when the same player tanks it two days later, CMA ain't getting it done?  Give me a break.  CMA is doing the best he can with what he's got and I bet there will be some changes next year that will surprise some folks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

EastTexasHog

We look much better this year than last.  If we make some shots next year, we will be where we want to be.

Pigsear

Quote from: EastTexasHog on March 25, 2014, 07:38:37 pm
We look much better this year than last.  If we make some shots next year, we will be where we want to be.
That's a big if.

Danny J

Quote from: Pigsear on March 25, 2014, 07:40:49 pm
That's a big if.
I think we do. We improve shooting immensely with the addition of the 3 guards we have coming in.   

hogman99

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 25, 2014, 07:24:14 pm
That not what Joe is talking about.  He's talking about the capabilities of the players CMA currently has on his roster.  They are in consistent.  Plain and simple.  When a particular player has a good night, CMA is doing a good job but when the same player tanks it two days later, CMA ain't getting it done?  Give me a break.  CMA is doing the best he can with what he's got and I bet there will be some changes next year that will surprise some folks.

Explain why we don't back off the press when we are giving up easy layups.
Explain why Portis and Kingsley aren't on the floor at the same time.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 08:31:22 pm
I think we do. We improve shooting immensely with the addition of the 3 guards we have coming in.

Everyone hopes...how many games of D1 college basketball have those guys played? 

Danny J

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 25, 2014, 08:59:08 pm
Everyone hopes...how many games of D1 college basketball have those guys played?
The same amount any freshman or JUCO transfers have. You have to start somewhere and starting with guys willing to shoot and can actually shoot is better than the three guards they replace. So it really is addition by subtraction then addition again.