Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The season ended tonight at 22 and 12 here is what i saw

Started by forrest city joe, March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

This game had nothing to do with coaching. this game had everything to do with not having enough good basketball players. when you score 6 points in the first 14 M of the half when you are getting wide open shots, that's on the players. Mike Anderson can't go out there and make shots for these guys. Bell as he has done all year, was missing the same open shots he was hitting against Ole Miss and ID-state.nobody but Portis could come close to making a shot.Problem 2. not being able to get stops on defense. even when you shoot bad, your defense has to be good enough to keep you in games. this team is not good on defense. hope to see improved defense next year with the players that are willing to work. Cal shot 55% from the field. that's not going to cut it.. problem 3. and this is the real deal folks. Mike Anderson has simply got to get better players than what he has.we have to hope that Beard,Babb Durham, Myles and Trey can help. i believe they all can. got to get guys who can put the ball in the hole, and are willing to play defense. it's on Mike Anderson to get those kind of players. and i think he will. Kingsley and Portis are the foundation for next year. both need to live in the weight Room. the off season program is going to be big. GO HOGS.

popcornhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am
This game had nothing to do with coaching. this game had everything to do with not having enough good basketball players. when you score 6 points in the first 14 M of the half when you are getting wide open shots, that's on the players. Mike Anderson can't go out there and make shots for these guys. Bell as he has done all year, was missing the same open shots he was hitting against Ole Miss and ID-state.nobody but Portis could come close to making a shot.Problem 2. not being able to get stops on defense. even when you shoot bad, your defense has to be good enough to keep you in games. this team is not good on defense. hope to see improved defense next year with the players that are willing to work. Cal shot 55% from the field. that's not going to cut it.. problem 3. and this is the real deal folks. Mike Anderson has simply got to get better players than what he has.we have to hope that Beard,Babb Durham, Myles and Trey can help. i believe they all can. got to get guys who can put the ball in the hole, and are willing to play defense. it's on Mike Anderson to get those kind of players. and i think he will. Kingsley and Portis are the foundation for next year. both need to live in the weight Room. the off season program is going to be big. GO HOGS.

It was probably some of both. The biggest factor was a very poor shooting night though.

It is on Mike to get them prepared to attack this zone right out of the gate though.

We look better than we did a year ago though and that's the bottom line in my book.
WPS

Danny J

Exactly...we need better basketball players who are athletic and have skill and less athletes that we will have to rely on developing into basketball players. Tonight was a clear example of that.

We will be much better next year with the addition of very high basketball IQ players who can shoot.

JonClaudeVanHam

I won't completely absolve CMA of blame, FCJ. I think that is non-sensical. It was plain as day that the ball needed to go inside to BP and MK, but it didn't until the 2nd half. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think MK and BP were even on the court simultaneously. When Cal literally only has one post player and we have two good ones, take it at them. Expose their weakness.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Tooth

And who is responsible for getting good basketball players?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 12:43:08 am

BEEP BEEP, here comes the bus.

Mike Anderson can draw up plays and tweak the offense when the threes are not falling Joe. THAT is called coaching.

Your basketball IQ is brutally low, and your attempt to defend Mike after this train wreck is comical. I will not be replying in this thread again.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Tooth on March 25, 2014, 12:48:36 am

Dang it, I was just about to say "In before 'who recruits the players.'"  I saw it coming...

Arky

With a few exceptions he has refused to play Kingsley & Portis together all year.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 25, 2014, 12:48:45 am
BEEP BEEP, here comes the bus.

Mike Anderson can draw up plays and tweak the offense when the threes are not falling Joe. THAT is called coaching.

Your basketball IQ is brutally low, and your attempt to defend Mike after this train wreck is comical. I will not be replying in this thread again.

An 11 point loss on the road to a team as good as us is far from a train wreck.  More like scratching the fender.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 25, 2014, 12:50:54 am
An 11 point loss on the road to a team as good as us is far from a train wreck.  More like scratching the fender.

Shooting %, terrible shot selection, sketchy and head scratchingly bad defense... you name it, it was a train wreck.

This is a mediocre Cal team, without one of if not their BEST player. In the NIT.

Losing is not acceptable, especially in that fashion.

This is NOT good basketball. Good grief. Wake the hell up.

Otis

The problem is, I don't see us doing one thing that shows us being a well coached team.

We don't shoot well
We don't rebound well
We don't play good defense
We don't have any identity on offense
We don't recruit well

What do we do that shows any semblance of being a well coached team? I honestly would like to know.

moses_007

This was supposed to be the year for us.  It wound up just like the last 18 years...

I can tell you this... Mike Anderson sure aint no Nolan Richardson.  That is becoming more evident every game.

ZERO

It's not that I necessarily think you're wrong, but it's downright hilarious the lengths you will go to defend Mike Anderson, whereas it's a complete 180 for Bielema.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Adam Stokes

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on March 25, 2014, 12:53:18 am
Shooting %, terrible shot selection, sketchy and head scratchingly bad defense... you name it, it was a train wreck.

This is a mediocre Cal team, without one of if not their BEST player. In the NIT.

Losing is not acceptable, especially in that fashion.

This is NOT good basketball. Good grief. Wake the hell up.

I was more just curious to see if you'd respond after the whole "I won't reply in this thread again." 

forrest city joe

Quote from: popcornhog on March 25, 2014, 12:44:51 am
It was probably some of both. The biggest factor was a very poor shooting night though.

It is on Mike to get them prepared to attack this zone right out of the gate though.

We look better than we did a year ago though and that's the bottom line in my book.
they had wide open shots against that zone. and they also missed layups.and everybody but Portis was missing shots. that is not on the coach.  now it is on the coach to get better players that can make shots and are willing to play defense. and it's a slow process, but i think Mike is doing that now.Portis and Kingsley have got to be starting together for this team next year. the entire off season program when it comes to those two young men has got to be the weight Room, and getting both in the post and working on their post moves. both have the talent to be 2 of the best big man combos in the country.Beard is going to help this team a lot next year.a shooting PG who can make plays and make others better.

Wild Bill Hog

Cal was depleted, yet we were never a threat to even make the game competitive.  We were very fortunate to only lose by 11.  You know, one of those "no where as close as the score indicates" games.

Porkem

Joe, I've always "thought" that. We just can't "say" that in an open forum. Can't be critical of the players. They're just kids. You're right. Mike can't make shots for these guys. But he can recruit players who can. Can't fault the effort tonight. Bill Walton just validated everything I've been saying all year. Basketball is a game of "skill." We can run and jump with the best of them, but 68 teams made the dance and we didn't. If you can't make a damn basket outside of Walton Arena, it's time to start calling a licensed, professional sports psychologist to remedy this malady. Or just go get better players, preferably men. If that's being too critical, I'm sorry. That's how most "knowledgeable" fans feel.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

forrest city joe

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 12:45:12 am
I won't completely absolve CMA of blame, FCJ. I think that is non-sensical. It was plain as day that the ball needed to go inside to BP and MK, but it didn't until the 2nd half. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think MK and BP were even on the court simultaneously. When Cal literally only has one post player and we have two good ones, take it at them. Expose their weakness.
You have a right to blame who ever you want. but Mike can not make shots for these guys. they got very good shots. they just missed everything. just like they did at Alabama. no coach can do anything about that. he tried different players. he tried everything. and no one got it done.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 25, 2014, 12:56:51 am
I mainly just said it to see if you'd actually follow through on the whole "I won't reply in this thread again." 

That is NOT good on following through.  Good grief.

I was meaning that as "I will not respond to any FCJ nonsense in this thread" as much as anything, and to be honest I was not focused on which thread I was replying to. More so just replying to your comment.

Alas, I am finished now. Let the degeneracy commence.

Hog1952

We got beat a lot worse than the score showed. But we did play hard for the last 7 or 8 min. to make it look close...AGAIN.

Atlhogfan1

The rollercoaster has stopped for this season.  Going forward though, recruiting has to get better than it is right now.  For a coach that has never been known as a great recruiter and who won't change his staff, it is a leap of faith to believe that it will get consistently better.  Beating the JC bushes hoping for help heading into season 4 doesn't do much to help that faith.  The program doesn't seem to be as solid as some claim.  It really needs a program changing recruit in 2015. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Hog1952 on March 25, 2014, 01:02:58 am
We got beat a lot worse than the score showed. But we did play hard for the last 7 or 8 min. to make it look close...AGAIN.

No, we really didn't get beat worse than the score showed. What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Would you have rather we just packed it in and lost by 30? I prefer to at least see my team fight to the bitter end.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Porkem on March 25, 2014, 12:59:02 am
Joe, I've always "thought" that. We just can't "say" that in an open forum. Can't be critical of the players. They're just kids. You're right. Mike can't make shots for these guys. But he can recruit players who can. Can't fault the effort tonight. Bill Walton just validated everything I've been saying all year. Basketball is a game of "skill." We can run and jump with the best of them, but 68 teams made the dance and we didn't. If you can't make a damn basket outside of Walton Arena, it's time to start calling a licensed, professional sports psychologist to remedy this malady. Or just go get better players, preferably men. If that's being too critical, I'm sorry. That's how most "knowledgeable" fans feel.
Nothing wrong with your post. in fact i agree with it.next year is big. and i really believe we will be in the dance. but it depends on the 2 big men. both need to have a hell of an off season. i think Madden is going to be a lot better at the 2G. Beard is a Stude. i think he can do for us what Ennis did foe Syracuse. this coming year should be Mike's best team. i really believe that.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 25, 2014, 12:49:16 am
Dang it, I was just about to say "In before 'who recruits the players.'"  I saw it coming...

Would you like to answer the question since you saw it coming?

870hogfan

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 01:05:53 am
No, we really didn't get beat worse than the score showed. What an utterly ridiculous statement.

Would you have rather we just packed it in and lost by 30? I prefer to at least see my team fight to the bitter end.

I prefer to see my team fight at the beginning and thus avoid a bitter end.  Is that asking too much?

Arky

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:04:37 am
The rollercoaster has stopped for this season.  Going forward though, recruiting has to get better than it is right now.  For a coach that has never been known as a great recruiter and who won't change his staff, it is a leap of faith to believe that it will get consistently better.  Beating the JC bushes hoping for help heading into season 4 doesn't do much to help that faith.  The program doesn't seem to be as solid as some claim.  It really needs a program changing recruit in 2015. 
I hope it gets better cause Anderson ain't going nowhere.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 25, 2014, 01:10:57 am
I prefer to see my team fight at the beginning and thus avoid a bitter end.  Is that asking too much?

I love the fact that Hogville thinks the players weren't fighting for it. We weren't hitting shots. I don't disagree completely with FCJ. Imagine if we had gone 4-12 from three in the first half, all of a sudden we're within 5 at the half.

Missing shots does not equal not trying. Hogville never seems to understand this.

forrest city joe

Quote from: moses_007 on March 25, 2014, 12:55:09 am
This was supposed to be the year for us.  It wound up just like the last 18 years...

I can tell you this... Mike Anderson sure aint no Nolan Richardson.  That is becoming more evident every game.
The year for us? we were picked to finished 8th in the sec before the season started. we finished 5th. so we were better than most outside of  Arkansas thought we were. WE WERE PICKED 8TH.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arky on March 25, 2014, 01:13:06 am

He'll get a great recruit in 2015 who has a connection to the state or Monk in '16 and it will lead to some success.  His Matt Jones or DMac. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Tonights game the only point guard I saw was Haydar, he created multiple shots for players but he can't create for himself.  The biggest downfall of this team is lack of a leader at the point and it is very obvious.  He would be in everyones ear for jacking up 3's like that.  This team just flat out cannot shoot.  They hustle and don't quit, but that was it.  It was embarrassing seeing a zone destroy us like they did in the first half.  We don't have a floor leader, Anderson can yell and scream all he wants from the sideline, but I can tell you from being at the game, they couldn't hear anything he was saying and it was a small venue.  The worst part was watching the student section do the hog call scream Whoooooooo Cal Bears!!!

Next year we will be much better.  They need to gel together and develop at the point. 

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 01:14:40 am
The year for us? we were picked to finished 8th in the sec before the season started. we finished 5th. so we were better than most outside of  Arkansas thought we were. WE WERE PICKED 8TH.

Hog1952

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 01:05:53 am

Spin it how you want but it was an utterly ridiculous and ugly game we played. Porter and Kingsley should be playing together especially tonight with there bigs out. Bad coaching.

Atlhogfan1

"We need a PG"  - Beard and the JC reach have a lot of expectations on them considering their presence should mean the difference in winning many more games next season. 

Porkem

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 01:07:18 am
Nothing wrong with your post. in fact i agree with it.next year is big. and i really believe we will be in the dance. but it depends on the 2 big men. both need to have a hell of an off season. i think Madden is going to be a lot better at the 2G. Beard is a Stude. i think he can do for us what Ennis did foe Syracuse. this coming year should be Mike's best team. i really believe that.

I hope you're right about Beard, Joe. We'll be better next year, for sure. Portis and Kingsley really need to hit the weight room. He will be a senior and his experience and leadership will be huge. But Florida and Kentucky will just reload. Georgia brings everybody back. We may be improved as a team, but that may not make for a difference in the conference standings. Another fifth place, ten loss, bubble team will be very disheartening to me. Other fans may be content with that, but we're "ARKANSAS" dammit!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:19:00 am
"We need a PG"  - Beard and the JC reach have a lot of expectations on them considering their presence should mean the difference in winning many more games next season.

There will be an adjustment. I imagine we'll drop non-con road games.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Arky on March 25, 2014, 01:13:06 am
Nor should he go anywhere. with the players we have coming back. and the players we have coming in. we are going to be very good next year. it's all about how hard our guys are willing to work to get better this off season.Mike Anderson is a good coach. but this game is still about players.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 01:14:17 am
I love the fact that Hogville thinks the players weren't fighting for it. We weren't hitting shots. I don't disagree completely with FCJ. Imagine if we had gone 4-12 from three in the first half, all of a sudden we're within 5 at the half.

Missing shots does not equal not trying. Hogville never seems to understand this.

My team consists of players and coaches.  It means players executing what their coach tells them to do.  It's a package deal.  If Plan 1 isn't working, then it is up to the coaches to to have a Plan 2 to put into action.  So many Hogville posters never seem to understand this.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 25, 2014, 01:23:19 am
My team consists of players and coaches.  It means players executing what their coach tells them to do.  It's a package deal.  If Plan 1 isn't working, then it is up to the coaches to to have a Plan 2 to put into action.  So many Hogville posters never seem to understand this.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 12:45:12 am

Arky

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 25, 2014, 01:22:32 am
Nor should he go anywhere. with the players we have coming back. and the players we have coming in. we are going to be very good next year. it's all about how hard our guys are willing to work to get better this off season.Mike Anderson is a good coach. but this game is still about players.
And I didn't say he should go anywhere...yet.  I saw progress this year; from the previous decade. A little hope. A little excitement again. But, he better recruit better.

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2014, 01:19:00 am

If they can learn the defense over the summer and during the non-conference season, they've essentially replaced what we're losing. If they can score 6 or so points a game, they're an upgrade. Seems like a fairly small hurdle to me.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

forrest city joe

Quote from: Arky on March 25, 2014, 01:42:07 am
And I didn't say he should go anywhere...yet.  I saw progress this year; from the previous decade. A little hope. A little excitement again. But, he better recruit better.
With Portis and Kingsley, he is already recruiting better. the program as you say is improving. next year is the year we get back to the dance. and i will be shocked if we don't. it's slow, but the program is getting better little by little.

rusvegashog

March 25, 2014, 01:58:49 am #44 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:53:19 pm by rusvegashog
This is such a b.s. thread, I love Mike Anderson, I go back to the TU days w him and Nolan, Paul Pressey, Steve Harris etc and so on. We were the superior team w superior talent tonight and got blown out of the gym because we refused to go down low and big. It was ours to lose and that's what we did. And who's fault is this, its 75% the coaches. I hope Mike is here until he retires, I hope they name the court after Nolan and build statues to the both of them before its all said and done, I truly do. They have given me as a fan more than I can ever repay. But to sit here and put the blame on these kids and let Mike off the hook because you want to save face is beyond ridiculous. Sure the shots weren't falling, it was as bad as it gets. All right new game plan go low and big, there outmanned. Im not saying that Madden's not partially to blame its his job to be the leader on the court for this team and I suspect he will be even better next year, but the Coaches need to make that adjustment.  All props to Harris tonight, he at least gave us a shot to be in it, he played big, mean and physical. Not sure of his numbers don't really care my eyes told me he was in it to win it. Team played hard till the end. Love the Razorbacks and I hate when the seasons over. Peace

JonClaudeVanHam

oldhawgs

Quote from: 870hogfan on March 25, 2014, 01:08:20 am
I like the recruits that are coming in.
I do too! Go Hogs!!  :razorback: Who was that person who said "All sickness is not death"? Can't wait till next season! We showed improvement this season regardless of what the Pel Pizza Lovers think.

3kgthog

Quote from: oldhawgs on March 25, 2014, 02:06:19 am
I do too! Go Hogs!!  :razorback: Who was that person who said "All sickness is not death"? Can't wait till next season! We showed improvement this season regardless of what the Pel Pizza Lovers think.

I'm glad Firecrotch is gone, but there's a problem if you aren't concerned about the Bama, SC, and Cal games. We flamed out in Stan Heath era fashion in 3 of the last 4. That's regressing tremendously at the latter half of the year. Not good.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tooth on March 25, 2014, 12:48:36 am

One of the top factors in coaching. Three years into the new staff and there has been improvement in the program. Not as much as we all hoped for though. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi