Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year's team

Started by billmontgomery10, March 24, 2014, 11:59:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

billmontgomery10

I can't see Madden in the starting lineup. He won't be at point guard and he isn't skilled enough as a shooter to play the off guard. Up front MA might finally wake up and with a real point guard, play Portis and Kingsley together. Who plays the 3 is anyone 's guess, maybe Qualls, who knows.
If the Hogs don't make it to the NCAAT next year, Anderson's fourth, he may be gone...

rzrbackramsfan

I agree, unless were solidly fourth in the sec and and the sec only gets three teams in.  Even if we end at the middle of the pack I think it'll be hard to fire him.

Danny J

Unless something drastic happens I can almost 100% guarantee that our starting lineup will be:

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

Notice this was the lineup for a long while tonight especially in second half. CMA is not known for starting new players in place of returning players unless utterly necessary.

JonClaudeVanHam

I think it is obvious that the starting five should be:

PG- Madden
SG - Bell
SF - Qualls
PF - Portis
C - Kingsley

Harris would make a perfect sixth man, but I doubt we see the lineup used this way. By the end of the year I would hope to see:

PG- Beard
SG- Bell
SG/SF - Madden
PF - Portis
C - Kingsley

Which would give us a second team of:

PG - Durham
SG - Babb
SF - Qualls
PF - Harris
C - Thompson

I really would love that rotation, but I just doubt I see it.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: billmontgomery10 on March 24, 2014, 11:59:28 pm
I can't see Madden in the starting lineup. He won't be at point guard and he isn't skilled enough as a shooter to play the off guard. Up front MA might finally wake up and with a real point guard, play Portis and Kingsley together. Who plays the 3 is anyone 's guess, maybe Qualls, who knows.
If the Hogs don't make it to the NCAAT next year, Anderson's fourth, he may be gone...
Dude where have you been this year? Do you really think Madden is not a shooter? Maybe he is not a Pat Bradley but he can shoot the ball. If not for him we wouldn't even be in the Nit he has by far been our go to guy all year. Sure he forced a lot of stuff but I think he was in a situation where he felt like he had to because he is the only one on the team that can take his man of the dribble. And he will only be better when he gets help from Babb and Beard penatrating.

Hogfaniam

Hopefully, Moses continues to improve.  It was no coincidence he was on the floor during our two runs.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

twistitup

March 25, 2014, 05:12:11 am #6 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:17:49 am by twistitup
Quote from: Fatbackhawgballz on March 25, 2014, 03:23:54 am
Dude where have you been this year? Do you really think Madden is not a shooter? Maybe he is not a Pat Bradley but he can shoot the ball. If not for him we wouldn't even be in the Nit he has by far been our go to guy all year. Sure he forced a lot of stuff but I think he was in a situation where he felt like he had to because he is the only one on the team that can take his man of the dribble. And he will only be better when he gets help from Babb and Beard penatrating.

Forcing shots is a major problem for
Madden ...it can't continue
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

JayBell

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 01:05:56 amUnless something drastic happens I can almost 100% guarantee that our starting lineup will be:

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

Notice this was the lineup for a long while tonight especially in second half. CMA is not known for starting new players in place of returning players unless utterly necessary.

With the emphasis on adding Beard and a JUCO point guard this year, I can't see Anderson starting one of them.  Half of Arkansas fans think that the problem with the offense is that it has lacked a true PG.  Well, I think Anderson will use one next year.  I think Beard and Durham are going to get a lot of minutes if they prove they are up for it, no matter how dangerous Madden and Bell can be on offense.

A true point guard also makes Anderson's pressure defense better.  Madden and Bell were probably the two weakest defenders among the guards.

JayBell

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 01:10:03 amI think it is obvious that the starting five should be:

PG- Madden
SG - Bell
SF - Qualls
PF - Portis
C - Kingsley

I think everybody agrees that those will be Arkansas' five best players next season, but I think Anderson is more likely to lean towards a true point guard and he's going to continue to avoid playing Portis and Kingsley together.  We should see them together more, but I don't think he'll start them both.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 01:10:03 amHarris would make a perfect sixth man, but I doubt we see the lineup used this way. By the end of the year I would hope to see:

PG- Beard
SG- Bell
SG/SF - Madden
PF - Portis
C - Kingsley
I don't think Madden is a good enough defender or rebounder to be your big G/F in that lineup.  This team goes as Qualls does.  Depending on the post situation, Harris and/or Miles could get time at the 3.  I don't see Madden being that guy over all of them.

The Hogfather

We really need Portis and Kingsley to keep progressing offensively.  We need a place to go when we can't make jumpshots (like last night).

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 09:35:21 am
I think everybody agrees that those will be Arkansas' five best players next season, but I think Anderson is more likely to lean towards a true point guard and he's going to continue to avoid playing Portis and Kingsley together.  We should see them together more, but I don't think he'll start them both.
I don't think Madden is a good enough defender or rebounder to be your big G/F in that lineup.  This team goes as Qualls does.  Depending on the post situation, Harris and/or Miles could get time at the 3.  I don't see Madden being that guy over all of them.

That's a fair point on Madden, I just can't not put him in the starting lineup, though. He's nice player.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 09:37:01 am
We really need Portis and Kingsley to keep progressing offensively.  We need a place to go when we can't make jumpshots (like last night).

We really need to play them at the same damn time. I don't understand Anderson's issue with this.

Fatbackhawgballz

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2014, 05:12:11 am
Forcing shots is a major problem for N
agreed but I think that Mike kinda put it on him because he is their main option when they need something to happen. I think you will see it change a lot when he has some help being able to penetrate.

Hawg Red

Madden was one of the best shooters on the team. He can shoot the ball. Does he need to smarten up his shot selection? Yes. But he can shoot. Paired with a better PG, he should be a very effective SG.

Kevin

if Hakeem Olajuwon has a camp, we need to get portis & kingsley there.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JayBell

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on March 25, 2014, 09:37:41 amThat's a fair point on Madden, I just can't not put him in the starting lineup, though. He's nice player.

Agreed.  If I were to make out a starting 5, I think Bell would be the guy sent to the bench.  If Bell can shoot more consistently next year, he'd be a hell of a threat to have off the bench.  I'm sure Bell and Madden will still play a lot together, but I think they'll be fighting for a lot of minutes with Anderson giving time to the new point guards and G/Fs that are better on defense.

The_Bionic_Pig

PG Durham & PG Beard will take turns running the point.

Neither SG Madden & SG Babb require the title of PG to bring the ball up the court in this offense to bring the ball up the court after a missed shot (both can easily run the point)

SF Keaton Miles & SF Michael Qualls will engulf all of Clarke's minutes.

C Trey Johnson will spell  C Kingsley for rest. (basically 6-10 per game)

PF Alandis Harris will spell PF Portis for breaks (minutes dependant upon contribution.

I believe we are going to add one more player to the 2014 class

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HF#1

lol @ Madden not being a starter. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 25, 2014, 09:51:25 am
PG Durham & PG Beard will take turns running the point.

Neither SG Madden & SG Babb require the title of PG to bring the ball up the court in this offense to bring the ball up the court after a missed shot (both can easily run the point)

SF Keaton Miles & SF Michael Qualls will engulf all of Clarke's minutes.

C Trey Johnson will spell  C Kingsley for rest. (basically 6-10 per game)

PF Alandis Harris will spell PF Portis for breaks (minutes dependant upon contribution.

After what I've seen, I want Portis and Kingsley on the floor as much as possible next year. They are the two best forwards we have. Make it work.

PG: Beard OR Durham
SG: Madden / Bell / Babb
SF: Qualls / Miles
PF: Portis / Harris / Williams
C: Kingsley / Thompson

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 25, 2014, 09:51:25 am

Any ideas?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 25, 2014, 09:56:00 am

He will with either Durham or Beared with the PG posiitional title. He will touch the ball no less than he did this season as the SG/PG
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 25, 2014, 09:56:00 am

Yea, unless something just goes horribly wrong in the off-season he'll be starting.  I'd be surprised next year if we didn't start off with

Madden/Durham
Bell/Beard/Babb
Qualls/Miles
Harris/Williams
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

This is the lineup that actually started bringing us back to end the game last night.  Beard will more than likely be the first guard off the bench to replace either Madden or Bell, and Kingsley will be the first forward off the bench. 

JayBell

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 10:10:06 amYea, unless something just goes horribly wrong in the off-season he'll be starting.  I'd be surprised next year if we didn't start off with

Madden/Durham
Bell/Beard/Babb
Qualls/Miles
Harris/Williams
Portis/Kingsley/Thompson

This is the lineup that actually started bringing us back to end the game last night.  Beard will more than likely be the first guard off the bench to replace either Madden or Bell, and Kingsley will be the first forward off the bench.

You've still got Madden as the starting point guard and Beard as the backup shooting guard?

-Blu

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 25, 2014, 10:04:55 am
He will with either Durham or Beared with the PG posiitional title. He will touch the ball no less than he did this season as the SG/PG

So that would mean either Qualls or Bell comes off the bench... I really don't see that, unless one of them leaves.  Bell is going to do nothing but get better in the off-season, and impress with his shooting like he did to start this year, there's no way you don't start that and let him get in a rhythm. 

And Qualls, he's improved dramatically from freshman year to sophomore year and if he acts right and returns he'll more than likely be the leader of the team, guys already look at him as a leader, and he's 6'6 and really can help on the press and bring energy.  I can't see Mike starting a freshman or juco over someone with experience like that.  The only way Qualls doesn't start is if he puts himself in the doghouse.

And you gotta remember Mike didn't even start Coty Clarke, and many were saying he was one of our best players when they were over in Europe that summer.  He doesn't start new guys to the system often unless he absolutely has no choice.  Portis is a unique situation because of his size and work ethic and it was either start him or 6'6 Alandise Harris who was also his first year playing, really wasn't much of a choice.  Beard and Durham will see plenty of playing time, and possibly even occasional starts, but to start the year following Mike's patterns, he's going to go with his vets.

-Blu

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 10:18:12 am
You've still got Madden as the starting point guard and Beard as the backup shooting guard?

Yea, watching Mike Anderson's patterns I doubt he starts Beard or Durham from day 1, unless somebody gets in the doghouse.   He didn't even start Phil Pressey his first year, and Pressey had more upside/hype than both Beard and Durham.    And you guys gotta remember with Mike, it's not who starts. I'm sure Beard will be in the game in a lot of critical times in the game, he'll probably even close a lot of games for us.

And Beard is a combo guard, I think when he's in the alongside with Madden he'll be the primary PG, and when he's in the game with Durham, he'll play more the 2 guard.  But I mean in this system, it really doesn't matter the title that you give them, everybody handles the ball and brings it up court, and we run a motion offense, it really doesn't matter who you label as the "PG" or "SG".  We star the games now with both Madden and Gulley, you tell me who's playing the PG out of the two.  The both bring it up, both start the offense.

Temprees

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 01:05:56 am
Unless something drastic happens I can almost 100% guarantee that our starting lineup will be:

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

Beard needs to start.

JayBell

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 10:25:46 amYea, watching Mike Anderson's patterns I doubt he starts Beard or Durham from day 1, unless somebody gets in the doghouse.   He didn't even start Phil Pressey his first year, and Pressey had more upside/hype than both Beard and Durham.    And you guys gotta remember with Mike, it's not who starts. I'm sure Beard will be in the game in a lot of critical times in the game, he'll probably even close a lot of games for us.

Very true.  But the big criticism of Anderson's offense in his first three years at Arkansas has been the lack of a true point guard.  It could be seen as the same kind of situation with Portis this season, with the need of the position and the quality of the player out-weighing Anderson's tendency to not start young players.

Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 10:25:46 amAnd Beard is a combo guard, I think when he's in the alongside with Madden he'll be the primary PG, and when he's in the game with Durham, he'll play more the 2 guard.  But I mean in this system, it really doesn't matter the title that you give them, everybody handles the ball and brings it up court, and we run a motion offense, it really doesn't matter who you label as the "PG" or "SG".  We star the games now with both Madden and Gulley, you tell me who's playing the PG out of the two.  The both bring it up, both start the offense.
I don't know how much of a combo guard Beard can be at his height.  He's only listed at 6'0".  I've seen him listed as low as 5'10".  Even Bell is listed at 6'3" and is more of a pure shooter than Beard, while Beard is a better ball handler.  Madden will still bring the ball up the court plenty, but I think Beard and Durham eat into his and Bell's minutes more for the benefit of the team overall.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

With our cheesecake OOC schedule next year, we better have beard running the point to prepare him for SEC schedule.  If we start madden at point just because of experience, we have a hard headed coaching issue.  I don't care if the guy is not ready, make him ready. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 25, 2014, 10:56:15 am
With our cheesecake OOC schedule next year, we better have beard running the point to prepare him for SEC schedule.  If we start madden at point just because of experience, we have a hard headed coaching issue.  I don't care if the guy is not ready, make him ready. 

I'm assuming cheesecake = tough while cupcake = easy?

RyeHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 10:58:37 am

I too am confused by the cheesecake reference.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 10:58:37 am

Cream puff chocolate cake cupcake carrot cake it doesn't matter, it's easy

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: RyeHogFan on March 25, 2014, 11:52:25 am
I too am confused by the cheesecake reference.

If you guys are confused you guys are retarded and will be targeted by Chong Li and that ain't good boys.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on March 25, 2014, 12:05:54 pm

What about Red Velvet Cake, does that mean good schedule, because they are taste so good?

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2014, 09:47:42 am
if Hakeem Olajuwon has a camp, we need to get portis & kingsley there.
We need to send them to every available camp that is reputable we can find to get them better down low. Those two have the ability to dominate down low come next year.

Hoggish1

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2014, 05:12:11 am
Forcing shots is a major problem for

Forcing shots and dribbling into heavy traffic with his head buried in their jocks.  If those can stop, this team is an NCAAT team, easily in 2014-15...

billmontgomery10

Quote from: Rylink=topic=565296.msg8911733#msg8911733 date=1395767306
Ky will start

My hope is that Beard will prove effective at pg and MA will play Kingsley and Portis together and they will get better with someone who can get the ball to the in the paint. Qualls should get the nod at the 3 and hopefully Babb will impress at the sg spot. I'd like to see Madden as the 6th man the way Huery was his senior year- for the good of the team coming off the bench after having been a starter. If Anderson is hard headed and starts Madden and Bell with their defensive liabilities and refuses to play Kingsley and Portis together, look for another NIT bid.

TRUHOG718

PG-Durham
SG-Bell
SF-Madden
PF-Portis
C-Kingsley

I dont think Qualls nor Harris will start if they are here next year. They are ball stopper's and Mike likes his starters to set the tone for the game.

T.H.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

jry04

Just about every national analyst who followed us said that Madden was our best player. His shot selection was poor at times, but he was one of our best shooters. Halfway through SEC play he was averaging 50% from three, averaging attempting almost 4 a game. Madden will start next year, without a doubt.

As for Anderson being gone if he does not make the tournament, you are sadly mistaken. We don't have the funds to do it. Anderson has 5 years without a doubt. The foundation won't approve a buyout after next year.

The Hogfather

The non-conference schedule shouldn't be too easy next season.

The_Iceman

Going to Clemson, to SMU, playing in the SEC/Big12 challenge, and whoever else might be added won't be easy.

Mike has said that next years OOC schedule will get tougher. But great job in talking before you know what your talking about.

jm

Madden is pretty good; I believe he will play alot. He is not really quick enough defensively to be effective in keeping good guards out of the lane though. Ideally, we will be better inside next year and take some of the pressure off of the guards.

Beaverfever

I wish we weren't in a position to rely on Harris next year.  I was really hoping there would be somebody brought in to at least compete with him. 

mhuff

March 26, 2014, 10:16:44 am #43 Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:27:39 am by mhuff

I am thinking that could be the case. I doubt it though. I am hard on CMA and his coaching abilities. I expect a lot out of him..... Don't you all. For the continuity of the program, he needs to do well. Also there are too many high profile players on the table the next couple of years. If we don't get them, I will adjust my opinion. I still want to see something that resembles good coaching. You are not going to get great players by thwarting good players and limiting their potential....i.e.   Kingsley........

The Hogfather

Saying that Madden "won't be at point guard and he isn't skilled enough as a shooter to play the off guard" is about the most ignorant thing I've heard lately.  Madden shot 46% from the field this year and 40% from 3.  He also shot 82% from the FT line. 

I think he tried to do too much at times this year, but it was from a good place, in my opinion.  We didn't have a lot of guys who could score consistently.  He was one of the few.  Since he had the ball in his hands so much and others had a hard time scoring, sometimes he had to create on his own and provide scoring for our team.  Sometimes he showed a lack of judgement in this regard.  He took some bad shots, dribbled into trouble, wasted gamewinning offensive possessions by dribbling out the clock, etc.

I liked the fact that he wanted the ball in his hands when it counted. 

joeyself

Collective wisdom is that Wagner isn't going to be a factor?

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

HogInHotSprings

Harris either needs to work on his midrange jumper all summer or stop shooting them next season. I absolutely love his inside game when he attacks the basket, but that stupid fade-away crap has got to go...gotta know your role

Adam Stokes

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 10:28:14 am
Saying that Madden "won't be at point guard and he isn't skilled enough as a shooter to play the off guard" is about the most ignorant thing I've heard lately.  Madden shot 46% from the field this year and 40% from 3.  He also shot 82% from the FT line. 

I think he tried to do too much at times this year, but it was from a good place, in my opinion.  We didn't have a lot of guys who could score consistently.  He was one of the few.  Since he had the ball in his hands so much and others had a hard time scoring, sometimes he had to create on his own and provide scoring for our team.  Sometimes he showed a lack of judgement in this regard.  He took some bad shots, dribbled into trouble, wasted gamewinning offensive possessions by dribbling out the clock, etc.

My thoughts as well.  If he can hit 40% from 3 while "forcing shots" he should probably force more shots.  40% from 3 = 60% from 2.

chiti66

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 09:59:58 am
After what I've seen, I want Portis and Kingsley on the floor as much as possible next year. They are the two best forwards we have. Make it work.

PG: Beard OR Durham
SG: Madden / Bell / Babb
SF: Qualls / Miles
PF: Portis / Harris / Williams
C: Kingsley / Thompson

Absolutely!  Madden not in the starting line-up is borderline insane.  He is our most experience guard/player and arguably the best.  The ONLY thing he needs to do is hit the weights, period.  He has a nice stroke, mentally tough and has the ideal size for a SG.  I think Durham will start at the Point, with Ky at the 2.  I'd love to see this:

Durham
Ky
Qualls/Miles
BP
MK

That gives us size, athleticism and scorers.  Bring in Harris, Bell, Thompson, Williams and Beard, we would have a legit 2 deep roster, with little drop-off.  Sprinkle in Babb, and we have a top-tier NCAA team, challenging for the SEC. 

WPS!

MGB1229

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2014, 10:28:14 am

I'm with you on this man.  He's our leading scorer and most experienced player coming back.  Not really sure what people are thinking here.  We would have been dead in the water multiple times if he didn't bail us out with big shots.  Yes, he missed some at the very end but we wouldn't have even been in those games if it wasn't for him.