Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How??

Started by razorbackchamps94, March 24, 2014, 10:57:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackchamps94

Explain how we will be better next year and make the big dance, I just don't see it .

CPO Hog

Fix the holes in backside of the press. Points off turnovers < points from broken press.
Coach player to develop a consistant shooting form, release and follow through. Take Bell for example, when he squares up he usually hits. Most of his misses are from poor shot foundation and/or incomplete follow through.

I expect about the same, 20-22 wins and NIT.

jry04

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on March 24, 2014, 10:57:40 pm
Explain how we will be better next year and make the big dance, I just don't see it .
We will be returning our top 3 scorers, and 5 of our top 6. We get a shooter in Babb who has length and can give us a few minutes off the bench. We get two PGs, one a highly recruited freshman, and one a JUCO PG who is putting up huge numbers. Whether they pan out, who knows? However, we lost our only 2 double digit scorers from last season plus Mickelson, and everyone said we would be worse. We ended up being a win away from making the NCAAT, and we won our first post season game in 6 years. We have improved every year under Mike Anderson, so why would anyone not expect the same next season? Qualls and Madden improved drastically since last season. If they can continue to improve, plus Portis/Kingsley/Harris/Bell all improve, then we will have a very good team next season.

18-14(6-10)
19-13(10-8)
22-12(10-8)

It is kind of silly, with who we have back, to not think we will improve considerably. The SEC loses quite a few players, so we will likely be picked to finish top 4 next season. Jeff Goodman of ESPN actually said with all of the players the SEC loses, and all of the players we return, that next season very well may be the year that Arkansas wins the SEC.

The Hogfather

If everyone comes back and buys-in, we will be much better next year.  Now, will that equate to a better record/NCAAT bid?  Depends a lot on if we can improve our conference record, in my opinion.  I feel like the OOC record will be a little bit worse than this season.  We'll have some tougher games, with some of them being true road games.

I think the play will be much better, though, without question.

The_Bionic_Pig

Your replacing 2 SG's with 2 PG's
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 25, 2014, 09:20:46 am

Scott, Wade, Gulley, Kikko, and Coty Clarke

traded for

Beard, Durham, Babb, Miles, and Trey Thompson.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 25, 2014, 09:20:46 am

We're replacing guards with obvious talent limitations with guards who have tons of talent.  If we can get the incoming guards to play with as much passion/fire/effort as the guards leaving, we'll be in MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better shape.

The Hogfather

We're going to miss Clarke.  I just hope Miles can fill that void if we're not goign to get Atwood or Purcell or what's his face from VT.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 09:30:23 am
We're going to miss Clarke.  I just hope Miles can fill that void if we're not goign to get Atwood or Purcell or what's his face from VT.

Atwood looks like he isn't coming here.

Purcell is probably only an option if Qualls leaves.

Jalen Hudson is likely staying at VT now that they hired Buzz.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 09:57:33 am
Atwood looks like he isn't coming here.

Purcell is probably only an option if Qualls leaves.

Jalen Hudson is likely staying at VT now that they hired Buzz.

Right.  So, I hope Miles can fill that void.

mbgrulz

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 09:30:23 am
We're going to miss Clarke. 
I agree, but he sure didn't show up the last few games.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 25, 2014, 10:06:51 am
I agree, but he sure didn't show up the last few games.

True.  I was thinking about us losing Wade as well, but he didn't show up for 1/2 the year, either.

mbgrulz

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 10:07:51 am
True.  I was thinking about us losing Wade as well, but he didn't show up for 1/2 the year, either.
Yep...I don't think there is any reasonable way to argue that we aren't upgrading our talent.

Kevin

22 wins, depending on the wins, and when they are.
either ncaa or nit bid.

mark it down every year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

majp51

March 25, 2014, 10:19:02 am #14 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:37:19 am by majp51
Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on March 24, 2014, 10:57:40 pm

Look I freely admit that I have my reservations about CMA, but come on. We just made it to some form of a postseason for the first time in what seems like forever. Can we not wait to get down on the next season after we lose a meaningful OOC game in the fall/Winter of 2014?

Hawg Red

The most skilled players outside of Clarke return. They figure to improve and perhaps dramatically. Every player coming in fills a need. Now, 3 of them are freshmen, so I'm not sure how much they'll contribute right away, but they do fill needs. A lot of talk about "skill" after last night. Well, we get that with Beard, Durham and Babb, IMO. Also, you get that with Thompson, and he's got good size.

For all the criticism directed at some of the returning players, I do hope they all return. Not sure we can afford to lose anyone who was in the rotation that isn't a senior. You have to hope Qualls matures and gets serious about this because he has a lot of potential and talent. You have to hope that Harris realizes where he's best utilized (not dribbling around and jacking up long-range shots). You have to hope that JaCorey settles down and stops trying to force things and stand out when he gets out there. You have to hope Bell can find some consistency on his shot.

urkillnmesmalls

A true PG, and someone emerging who wants to own the paint...and we'll be improved.  Outside of that, it will come down to what it will always be under this system.  Will we play with 100% intensity on defense most of the game, and will we make outside shots.  If either of those two are off...good luck. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 25, 2014, 10:00:40 am
Right.  So, I hope Miles can fill that void.

I think people look at that the wrong way. Currently, Clarke is our starting PF. I think his production is going to be replaced by Portis moving to the 4 and Kingsley stepping in at the five. So that way: Portis/Kingsley 2014 are trying to fill in for Clarke/Portis 2013.

Miles is going to fill a role that we currently don't have, and that is a defensive stopper for a SG/SF type.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2014, 10:52:27 am
I think people look at that the wrong way. Currently, Clarke is our starting PF. I think his production is going to be replaced by Portis moving to the 4 and Kingsley stepping in at the five. So that way: Portis/Kingsley 2014 are trying to fill in for Clarke/Portis 2013.

Miles is going to fill a role that we currently don't have, and that is a defensive stopper for a SG/SF type.

That sounds good in theory....

TRUHOG718

Short answer. We're gaining more talent than we're losing and we almost made it with the team we had.

T.H.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

poloprince

Portis will be better will be the main reason.
$PoLoPrInCe$