Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Walton great tonight

Started by TJS, March 24, 2014, 10:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: yraciv on March 25, 2014, 01:34:27 am
I don't! I like Dykes, am neutral on Walton, and can't stand the worse in the business the SEC Network guys.  I loved Walton's support of our program, but he also brought us a long winded irrelevant story about Hog Back, Utah, a weird reference to getting hit in the crotch, and was constantly referencing his affection for dogs.  Yes he bring some good basketball commentary, you know his job, along the way, but his long winded stories and referring to Corliss as a Big Sissy kind of sour me on him.  He is such a UCLA homer it is ridiculous, and if you watched some Pac 12 games with him you would notice that, but all in all he keeps the games interesting. And I need that when we're down 20.

Dykes is good, but Walton is more colorful.  Fans seem to like announcers who spend lot's of time discussing barbecue or that give off some sense of professionalism, even though it's usually all an act.  While Dykes is better then most, he still fits that mold.  Walton is more of a throwback to the old days and I enjoyed his long-winded stories.  Having said all that, I probably wouldn't be too thrilled with Walton if I were a Cal fan.

Glad you changed it to UCLA, because you had me confused for a moment there.

rusvegashog

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 25, 2014, 12:07:06 am
That is a statement for why not to do meth.
Ha! Truer words my friend, truer words.

epach2012hog

I really thought that Walton did everything he could to praise our Hogs in the first half to make things half interesting.
And for all those people slamming Dykes, I do have a pretty cool story about him. once while in Fayyetville my car just all of a sudden died and broke down and I was trying to push it out of the way, then all of a sudden I felt someone pushing my POS of a car off the street and it was Jimmy Dykes helping me. When we got it off the road I offered him some money but of course he refused. In my eyes, that man is a class act through and through and really does loves this state and the Hogs, but the big drawback on that is he IS from ESPN and cannot show favoritism, he has to be totally bias for a big network.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Titanis on March 24, 2014, 11:12:02 pm
I want Jimmy and Bill for just one game.

Nah. I would like to hear Walton and Bobby Knight.

Yin and Yang.

Hogfaniam

The thing I love about Walton was how Dr. J dunked all over his ass.  He had the last laugh though.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Chic-Hog-Oh

Sure a couple of his stories got a little goofy and long-winded, but his humor, perspective, and refreshing honesty were different and welcomed. Especially when we were playing so bad! He bridged the gap and still made it interesting.

I couldn't believe how many times he referred to his friends or others from Arkansas, including his paraplegic friend. He even knew that Ft Smith is not only south of Fayetteville, but also "....a little bit west...."

He was favorable to just about every Hog historical moment and person....and yet he was so brutally honest when he rightfully said with 3 minutes left that he couldn't name one Hog on the court who was "...playing well enough to get Arkansas back from the 10-point deficit...."

Very entertaining.

swinetologist1

I thought he was great. Replace Jimmy Dykes though? No.

Replace Rick Schaffer(sp?)? Yes

Best Walton line of the night: "What was his girlfriend's name again?" I died laughing
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

Hogarusa

The only announcers/analysts/anchors that I just can't stand on TV are Matt Millen, Goose, Berman and Stu Scott.  Other than that, I am ok with everyone. When I watch sports with my dad, the TV is always on mute.  He hates them all
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

poloprince

Dude is funny af to me. I like his commentary.
$PoLoPrInCe$

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hog75 on March 25, 2014, 12:16:59 am
That is a John Wooden quote
Bill Walton, the Wizard of Westwood Wacky Weed.   8)

He was amazing last night.

bigredone

Walton blows Dykes away. Walton is not putting on an act, what you see is what you get. I mute the TV when Dykes is working, I can't stand him. I would rather hear Keith "Boomer Sooner" Jackson because at least he is not ashamed of being from AR.

Honestly, there has not been one color commentator during this post season I would not prefer over Dykes. Dykes might be better than Vitale when both are muted, though.

EastTexasHog

Walton is a living legend and a part of one of the most compelling stories in all of sports.  Plus, he is a unique individual, to say the least.  Who would you rather listen to?  Brad Nessler?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2014, 10:50:08 pm
Said it best when he said basketball is not just a game of run and jump. It's still a game of skill.

Yep, he nailed it.  Unfortunately it's what some of us have been saying since Corliss, Scotty, and Corey left.  The absolute prerequisite skill for being a big time player is the ability to shoot the basketball into the net.  I would say number two on the list would be ballhandling.  It seems odd to me how many teams try to reach the highest level without players who can consistently demonstrate those skills.

If a decathlon breaks out on the court running and jumping will reign supreme.  Until then, athleticism without skill is usually a losing proposition.

Athog

Quote from: lasthog on March 24, 2014, 11:13:04 pm
I assume all of the previous posts are sarcastic.  I believe Walton 's commentary is on par with Arkansas' play. :puke:

Amen!!

Wahls

I was out of the room, but I think it was Adam Alter who posted that he was talking about poor "horizontal jumping" which has gotta be the biggest mind**** I've ever experienced (when I tried to imagine what that was).

But Bill Walton is fantastic. I wish he'd call every Arkansas game. He was so entertaining, I forgot how terrible we played in the first.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wahls on March 25, 2014, 09:36:15 am
I was out of the room, but I think it was Adam Alter who posted that he was talking about poor "horizontal jumping" which has gotta be the biggest mind**** I've ever experienced (when I tried to imagine what that was).

But Bill Walton is fantastic. I wish he'd call every Arkansas game. He was so entertaining, I forgot how terrible we played in the first.
I wish he'd coach our bigs.

Wahls

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 25, 2014, 09:38:02 am
I wish he'd coach our bigs.

I wish he'd pass the stuff to 'em to help 'em loosen up a bit.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.