Started by fanofthehog, March 24, 2014, 10:42:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fanofthehog

What is ours?  Serious question

RazorPiggie

Some form of motion I guess?

Jack up 3sssssss

Dr. Starcs

I'm sure SloppinIt will be glad to give you a soliloquy on it and educate you as to why you clearly don't understand basketball.

Danny J

The problem isn't the offense per se but making our shots(duh). We are getting awesome looks. Just not falling. We are a momentum team. When not falling we lose confidence.

CallThemHawgs!

There is no offense philosophy.

First possession of the game, swing around the perimeter ... Bell and Madden pass up jumpers... Gulley pulls and nearly air balls it.

Just pitiful

collins4heisman

Quote from: fanofthehog on March 24, 2014, 10:42:47 pm

"Play good defense, and the points will come"- Mike Anderson.

this literally is our philosophy.  Like Cauley Stein said, we "just ball". It only works sometimes and when it doesn't it fails miserably and consistently.  We just pass the ball around the 3 point line hoping someone might get open and then we have to just rely on having a good shooting night.

Even Bill Walton is saying that we only have pure athleticism and don't play smart basketball.

tomw

street ball doesnt win most of the time...pathetic showing

Danny J

Quote from: tomw on March 24, 2014, 11:00:41 pm
Our motion offense isn't street ball. Bobby Knight developed the same offense we use. We are getting good looks just not falling. Instead we need to recruit, which we have coming in next year, better shooters instead of relying solely on athletes learning to play basketball.

Hog1952

mbgrulz

Quote from: tomw on March 24, 2014, 11:00:41 pm
Wow...Same ole same ole...Back in the late 80's fans were calling it rat ball and even worse.

Such tired and cheap criticisms.

hawgfan4life

Objective of any philosophy is get open shots.  Mission accomplished

hawgfan4life

It is then up to players to knock them down.  Fail!  Missing open shots isn't a philosophical issue.

BigE_23

Hogmeier

None, just like the defensive philosophy

ICEman

Cal must have been the 'd@mn bear' Mike was talking about 3 years ago.  This bear needs no help in order to run us out of the building.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Sharky

Short possessions. Force turnovers. Score in transition. Play as little half court ball as possible. Run. Run. Run.

Downsides: Good guard play by opposition forces half-court game. Press spreads our defense, which allows quality teams to push the ball up court leading to easy layups/dunks.

ChicoHog

I'm not anderson fan but you can't blame him or any coach when a team misses wide open shots.  I do blame him when our defense leaves wide open shooters because he chooses to do that.   

hogfan10

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 24, 2014, 11:17:59 pm
Our motion offense isn't street ball. Bobby Knight developed the same offense we use. We are getting good looks just not falling. Instead we need to recruit, which we have coming in next year, better shooters instead of relying solely on athletes learning to play basketball.

I actually agree with everything you are saying here, except for one thing. Bobby Knight might have developed the motion offense, but our version in no way resembles any offense Knight coached.

Smithian

Turn teams over, score off defense, get the first open shot.

The offensive scheme isn't a problem. You see stretches where all 5 players are moving, screening, cutting, and it is great basketball to watch. Problem is often you see 3 or 4 players standing around confused as the clock ticks down. This often happens at the first sign of trouble. Have to get more consistent focus on offense.

poloprince

All I know is a saw open shots all night that were simply missed regardless of philosophy.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Smithian

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 24, 2014, 11:21:51 pm
Wow...Same ole same ole...Back in the late 80's fans were calling it rat ball and even worse.

Such tired and cheap criticisms.
How about you answer the original post instead of acting like any slight is criticism? People bashed the hell out of Pelphrey's offensive scheme but now if you ask about the offense it's because you're racist? I can find lots of posts referring to Pelphrey's teams as playing "street ball".

You are higher than Anderson than I am and even I defended the scheme. You can do the same.

JayBell

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 24, 2014, 11:45:59 pmI'm not anderson fan but you can't blame him or any coach when a team misses wide open shots.  I do blame him when our defense leaves wide open shooters because he chooses to do that.

You can blame a coach for not having a backup plan for an offense that relies so heavily on jump shooting, especially when the team has had so many bad shooting nights.  Arkansas had at least half a dozen games this season where the players were just ice cold from the field.

Even the best jump shooting teams run the risk of going cold on the wrong night.  Arkansas is not one of the best jump shooting teams.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: collins4heisman on March 24, 2014, 10:47:32 pm
"Play good defense, and the points will come"- Mike Anderson.

this literally is our philosophy.  Like Cauley Stein said, we "just ball". It only works sometimes and when it doesn't it fails miserably and consistently.  We just pass the ball around the 3 point line hoping someone might get open and then we have to just rely on having a good shooting night.

Even Bill Walton is saying that we only have pure athleticism and don't play smart basketball.

I think what some of our dumbsh** fans don't realize is that we are one of the nation's leaders in assists per game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Smithian on March 25, 2014, 07:59:17 am
How about you answer the original post instead of acting like any slight is criticism? People bashed the hell out of Pelphrey's offensive scheme but now if you ask about the offense it's because you're racist? I can find lots of posts referring to Pelphrey's teams as playing "street ball".

You are higher than Anderson than I am and even I defended the scheme. You can do the same.

We bashed Pelphrey because he sucked.

Is he a head coach somewhere? How did his team do?

Biggus Piggus

Motion offense. Good enough to rank 21st in Division I in offensive efficiency. Next question?
[CENSORED]!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Danny J on March 24, 2014, 11:17:59 pm

Actually our system is designing for the athletic type...We simple need to recruit better athletes. But some top shelf ballers in the mix a good too...

I know, im yr late in my response...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

choppedporkextrasauce

Whatever it is we lead the Sec is scoring so it's damn effective.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Atlhogfan1

March 24, 2014  at 10:42 CT was the first half of the Cal game.  Why the thread necrophilia again? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgnCorona

...because those without a vision perish?

Michaelt

Score more points than the opponent.

What'd I win?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

ChicoHog

I actually like our offense most of the time.  Lots of screens, people moving, some good inside passing, etc.,  Make shots and it's fine.  it's our defense that drives me nuts.