Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "first" round of the NCAA tournament

Started by Hogpkins, March 24, 2014, 08:58:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogpkins

Anyone else annoyed by the renaming of the tournament rounds? The field of 64 should be the 1st round and the field of 32 should be the second round, like it's been for a long time.  The first few play in games should be called something else like the play-in round, the bonus-four round, the preliminary round, whatever they want to call it without renaming the other rounds. I hate hearing everyone have to qualify it as, "Well technically it's the second round we're in ..." and then everyone then resumes calling it the traditional round name.

I imagine it's a ploy to try to build audience for that initial little round to make it sound more legitimate, or else some suit at the NCAA is trying to prove the purpose of his existence.  I know it's a minor thing, and I'm sure we'll all adjust in time, but still annoys me.

deserthog

I put the winner of the Iowa-Tenn game in my final four before the game was played. I knew the winner could go deep in the tournament. How could either one of these teams be I in a play-in game is beyond my comprehension. We'll I guess I was right.

widespreadsooie

It's the 16 v 16 play in that's my issue. Give it to at larges who can actually make noise after the "first round."

Pigonometry

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 24, 2014, 09:26:03 pm
It's the 16 v 16 play in that's my issue. Give it to at larges who can actually make noise after the "first round."

Agree.  And I hate in that case that a 16 gets credit for a NCAAT "win".
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on March 24, 2014, 08:58:05 pm
Anyone else annoyed by the renaming of the tournament rounds? The field of 64 should be the 1st round and the field of 32 should be the second round, like it's been for a long time.  The first few play in games should be called something else like the play-in round, the bonus-four round, the preliminary round, whatever they want to call it without renaming the other rounds. I hate hearing everyone have to qualify it as, "Well technically it's the second round we're in ..." and then everyone then resumes calling it the traditional round name.

I imagine it's a ploy to try to build audience for that initial little round to make it sound more legitimate, or else some suit at the NCAA is trying to prove the purpose of his existence.  I know it's a minor thing, and I'm sure we'll all adjust in time, but still annoys me.
Completely agree with you.  Now someone says they lost in the second round and you think they actually won their first game.    60 teams get a first round bye!  What a joke!