Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you rather play in the NIT Championship game or lose in the first round of the NCAA tourney?

Started by Rzback, March 24, 2014, 06:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather play in the NIT Championship game or lose in the first round of the NCAA tourney?

Play in the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round
Play in the Championship game of the NIT tournament

Rzback

I'd rather play in the NCAA tourney but if I knew I would lose the first game I would probably choose the NIT finals...  :razorback:
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

PurpleBullHog

I don't care if we beat Kentucky at Rupp, or Indiana State at BWA, a hog win feels great.  A loss, whether to Florida in overtime or to Bama in anything, feels just as terrible.  I've gotta say I'll take five wins over one loss any day. 

sickboy

Easy. Play for a championship. Even an NIT championship is vastly more valuable and respected than losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney.

Plus, you don't end your season on such a dud note; at least you made a push for something... not just getting into a tournament.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I'd rather play/lose in the NCAA tourney.

But, I really feel that the more games this team plays the better they will get for next year.

The real Hogules

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 24, 2014, 06:59:48 pm
I'd rather play lose in the NCAA tourney.

But, I really feel that the more games this team plays the better they will get for next year.

This is where our experience in the NIT this year will pay the biggest dividends - next year, with the bulk of this team returning.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

panhandlepig

That is a tough question. All I know for sure is I want to win TONIGHT! Go Hogs. :razorback:

SemperFi

One and done stinks (see SECT Hogs vs USC). I would rather the Hogs play for an NIT Championship than get bounced in game one of the NCAAT.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

aar0n

History has been kind to the winners of the NIT championship in the years following, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

GlassofSwine

Winning the NIT with a young core team is far more positive going forward than losing in the 1st round of the NCAA.

Arky

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on March 24, 2014, 06:57:43 pm
Easy. Play for a championship. Even an NIT championship is vastly more valuable and respected than losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney.
Not to recruits.

root_hawg

GlassofSwine

maggiesue

My opinion is it isn't even close.....dance with the pretty girl.....the NIT is like dancing with the girl so you can say you danced.....the NCAA is dancing because the girl is the one you want!

-Blu

Quote from: panhandlepig on March 24, 2014, 07:59:54 pm
  That is a tough question. All I know for sure is I want to win TONIGHT! Go Hogs. :razorback:

My thoughts exactly.  I remember before the NIT started I said I'd rather lose in the play-in game than win the NIT, I'm starting to re-think that.  I'm actually excited about tonight's game, and if we happen to make it to New York I'm going to be really stoked for this team.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Rzback on March 24, 2014, 06:45:20 pm
I'd rather play in the NCAA tourney but if I knew I would lose the first game I would probably choose the NIT finals...  :razorback:

Earlier in the season I felt like just making the Tourney was more important.

However, I remember losing with Heath to Bucknell, and got to thinking about how many teams (Mercer) there are like that in the first rounds.  I think that winning or at least making it to the final 4 in the NIT says much more about a team than if they lose in the 1st round of Tourney. 

I believe our team is much better than a lot of the teams in the Tourney.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

MountieDawg

For those that would rather play in the NIT, would you rather play in the SWAC conference and win league championships or in the SEC?
SEC!

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on March 24, 2014, 06:57:43 pm

Plus, you don't end your season on such a dud note; at least you made a push for something... not just getting into a tournament.

I was on the fence, but I like your argument. NIT finals.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Hogarusa

Making the tourney.  It's not even close.  You think 2 weeks of extra practice over actual March Madness experience is what gets the Hogs over the hump next year?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

panhandlepig

Quote from: -Blu on March 24, 2014, 08:30:16 pm
My thoughts exactly.  I remember before the NIT started I said I'd rather lose in the play-in game than win the NIT, I'm starting to re-think that.  I'm actually excited about tonight's game, and if we happen to make it to New York I'm going to be really stoked for this team.

The fact is we are in the NIT and  have a chance to win the dang tournament. In order to do that we have to win tonight. We need to come out there and play to win no matter the "prize".

This team shouldn't be thinking about what coulda shoulda woulda.  I hope they are thinking they need to win this game and keep playing.

Next year we can have what-if discussions about the NIT vs the Dance. This year we need to beat Cal tonight. GO HOGS :razorback:

Hot_Town_Hog

hobhog