Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What we may be seeing from the Defense next year

Started by chitwnhog, March 24, 2014, 11:29:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chitwnhog

I posted this in another thread but thought I would give the subject it's own thread. Lot's of good info on what we may see from the defense next season.

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/3/20/5511644/a-look-at-arkansas-defensive-coordinator-robb-smiths-scheme-philosophy-razorbacks

Steef

ifghog

Good read! Hope our corners are up to this challenge. Must admit it makes me nervous but....can't be worse than last year.

The Kig

Pressure... wherever it comes from.  If you don't blitz, good teams will eventually execute their offense and score. 

Adjustments... based on what is actually going on in the game you are playing. 

I am getting more and more jazzed about what Smith can do with the Hog's D.   
Poker Porker

ldfergu

The last paragraph states that there will be less cushion in coverage... THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

online-with-swine

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on March 24, 2014, 12:14:40 pm
The last paragraph states that there will be less cushion in coverage... THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean we wont play ten yards off on 3rd and 3?

chitwnhog

I agree with you but like ifghog I hope our Corners can handle it and that our Safeties will be in position when they can't.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OnTheHillHogFan

Should see some zone pressures this year as well as more press coverage finally.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

HiggiePiggy

I'll believe it when I see it. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

I know we are just talking but I suspect we have yet another capable DC and capable defensive staff that will try and play what this DC likes to operate even if it doesn't fit our players on hand.  Its been so long since we've seen a good team defense at Arkansas that we'll just love any improvement.  I hope and believe that because we've maybe added some decent defenders last year and this, that we will be better on D this year.  I also suspect that the quality of players on the field will determine 99 percent of any advancement we have, no matter the scheme.

Steef

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on March 24, 2014, 12:09:55 pm
Pressure... wherever it comes from.  If you don't blitz, good teams will eventually execute their offense and score. 

Adjustments... based on what is actually going on in the game you are playing. 

I am getting more and more jazzed about what Smith can do with the Hog's D.   

I hope for improvement like everyone else. I am cautiously optimistic.
Go Hogs Go!

CollinsvilleHawg

I spewed my coffee reading this.  I'm in total agreement!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I just got through watching the coaches interviews on the 1st page, and I must admit that Stone Cold Steve Austin looks like an incredible hire as a D-line coach..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Josh Goforth

Heres a strange twist, Greg Schiano (Robb Smith mentor) has been sitting in on meetings at Ohio St. with Chris Ash and co. The big problem they had last year was DB play which Schiano is known for and Meyer must not be convinced Ash can improve it himself.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/former_rutgers_coach_greg_schiano_offers_advice_to_ohio_state_defense.html

three hog night

Quote from: chitwnhog on March 24, 2014, 12:32:51 pm
I agree with you but like ifghog I hope our Corners can handle it and that our Safeties will be in position when they can't.

Bingo....the core issue here!   I think the Corners are good but we don't know how good; because they did not get good safety support the last 2 years.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: steefhog on March 24, 2014, 08:34:26 pm
4th DC in four years.

sigh

This is something we forget after the drama of the last 3 years.  The drama covered over the normal problems like staff and scheme change.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.